• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I mean realistically if you glance real quick back and forth without staring, it shouldn't damage your eyes too bad right? Like super light speed quick glances in such a way like old school hand drawn animations are made. Imagine someone catching you doing this during the eclipse lol.

DHroqoIWsAQDoXe.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/sirDukeD...ump-eclipse-tweet_us_599a1cafe4b0e8cc855e6192

Clydefrog

I mean realistically if you glance real quick back and forth without staring, it shouldn't damage your eyes too bad right? Like super light speed quick glances in such a way like old school hand drawn animations are made. Imagine someone catching you doing this during the eclipse lol.

Just treat it like how you look at cleavage

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

My dad is an eye doctor and told me yeah, you can glance at it for a second or two. It's basically like glancing at the sun while there is no eclipse.

The whole "the sun will melt your eyes" thing is overblown. The only people who really suffer from permanent vision problems are the disabled or mentally challenged who stare at it for an extended period. A few seconds will not do any real damage.

My dad is an eye doctor and told me yeah, you can glance at it for a second or two. It's basically like glancing at the sun while there is no eclipse.

The whole "the sun will melt your eyes" thing is overblown. The only people who really suffer from permanent vision problems are the disabled or mentally challenged who stare at it for an extended period. A few seconds will not do any real damage.
Wasn't the real concern with the fact that you don't instinctively blink and/or look away during the eclipse, so you're capable of looking for an extended period of time?

Just don't risk it the sun is really fucking bright when it's high in the sky. Just use your camera like a sane person if you didn't manage to get ahold of glasses. The fact of the matter is if you look up at it without glasses even if you dont ruin your eye its not going to look good as you will be blinded still by the brightness and have an inability to focus anyways.

Glad my company bought glasses for everyone. Its cool watching it slowing being chipped away. Defiantly would of sucked with just plain sun glasses.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the real concern with the fact that you don't instinctively blink and/or look away during the eclipse, so you're capable of looking for an extended period of time?

Yes, hence why it's okay to look for a few seconds to get an idea, but you certainly shouldn't stare at it.

JeTmAn81

I've read that if you have a tree between you and the sun, the gaps between leaves work well for viewing the sun. Maybe I'll try that.

Trey

Yes. It doesnt trigger the same stimulus as looking the sun normally, which could entice people to stare at it long enough to do damage.

HTupolev

I've read that if you have a tree between you and the sun, the gaps between leaves work well for viewing the sun. Maybe I'll try that.
Gaps between leaves can sometimes work as natural pinhole cameras, projecting an image of the eclipse onto the ground. Don't try to look directly through the leaves at the sun, though.

Nephtes

Made it to Nashville, no traffic what so ever when we drove in at 10am. Toured the Grand Ole Opry, now just waiting for eclipse at the party the Opry is throwing...

Was really worried I wouldn't make it yesterday, but here we are...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just treat it like how you look at cleavage
Let's play this Russian roulette.

Ooh glad to read this. I might try both now just for the hell of it and too see the overall brightness difference. Should be sexy demonic times ahead.

HTupolev

I'm going to poke a 1mm hole in a piece of cardboard to look through. That should be safe yeah?
You don't "look through" a pinhole, you use it to project an image of the eclipse onto another piece of material. See the photo I posted above, that's a piece of cardboard with a pinhole above it.

Klotera

Rain clearing up in northeast KCMO/Liberty, MO. Still overcast. Looks like we'll probably be dry for totality, but cloud cover uncertain.

jchap

Sitting in a field in Athens tn with my telescope pointing at the sun and wondering where the hell the moon is

Agentnibs

Made it to Nashville, no traffic what so ever when we drove in at 10am. Toured the Grand Ole Opry, now just waiting for eclipse at the party the Opry is throwing...

Was really worried I wouldn't make it yesterday, but here we are...

I also thought it was odd that there was no traffic here.the roads were like a ghost town for me, and I'm downtown

B.K.

I'm in East Tennessee and getting ready to head out so I can go see totality. It's going to be around 99.5% here. There are some high, thin clouds, but nothing too bad right now.

Top Bottom