• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

ISee

warhammer_2016_rethinujop0.jpg

While I was busy fighting off Archons and his armies in the north. Emperor Karl 'kissass' Franz allied himself with everybody.
Okay then... it's not like I have another option anyway. Time to end the world of man.
*sinister laughter*

4Tran

And sold.
Be aware that some modders out there are a bit nuts and feel like their mods should massively ramp up the difficulty by giving AI factions lots of extra units or by making the economy miserable. Third Age and Call of Warhammer are both guilty of this.

LP, I'd say TWW is the most beginner friendly.
Warhammer has been great, but I'd say that Shogun 2 is the most accessible. The only Warhammer faction that plays like a standard force composition is the Empire, and the game has lots of extra mechanics like magic and flying units that don't exist in the historical games. Shogun 2 has the advantage of a relatively small number of unit types so that it's pretty easy to see what any unit should be used for. It also avoids most newbie traps by the expedient of basic units being effective all the way to the endgame.

I found if you like the historical period and the aesthetic, you'll love the game. If you don't, you won't be into it. I don't know much about Japanese history and I don't have a passion for it so it's probably my least played but I love ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, and the Early Modern/Imperial Age Empire takes place in so I have hundreds of hours in each of those. That's why my advice is if you enjoy the core gameplay of Total War then just pick the most intriguing time period for you. Though some do feel their age at this point. I would just play Rome II over Rome I if you're new to the series.
Bear my words - Total War: Mongol will be the best title in the series. The only problem is that it would be way bigger than anything CA has ever tackled.

Bear my words - Total War: Mongol will be the best title in the series. The only problem is that it would be way bigger than anything CA has ever tackled.

I think they are ready for a real Mongol faction if you look at the innovations since Medieval II. In Medieval II the Mongol invasion event wasn't really threatening. I was England with significant holdings in the Middle East (Also like half of Europe lol) and I made a peace treaty with the Mongols. They didn't really seem to attack anyone though and they weren't playable. Now they have the Horde mechanic, better sacking, and razing options to really make them amazing and playable in Medieval III. They still have a lot of Warhammer stuff to do but I think Medieval III is next with Total War: Khan as the supplemental game.

4Tran

A proper Mongol game wouldn't just be an expanded Medieval. It would have to have a map that stretches all the way to Japan and include all of the major nations in these regions.

While I was busy fighting off Archons and his armies in the north. Emperor Karl 'kissass' Franz allied himself with everybody.
Okay then... it's not like I have another option anyway. Time to end the world of man.
*sinister laughter*

You're one immortal Uberlich short of playing out the End Times.

Anno

So does CA have two Total War teams going now? Or are they just not going to put out new historical titles until their 10 year plan or w/e for Warhammer is finished?

Theandrin

So does CA have two Total War teams going now? Or are they just not going to put out new historical titles until their 10 year plan or w/e for Warhammer is finished?

I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember reading a while back that they are still going to be working on the historical titles as well and now have two teams.

Anno

I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember reading a while back that they are still going to be working on the historical titles as well and now have two teams.

That's certainly what I would imagine. I guess they're just a quite bigger company than I assumed.

4Tran

Creative Assembly has at least 4 teams. Two of them make mainline Total War games, one is developing Total War Arena, and one makes content for consoles (currently working on Halo Wars 2). I believe that the main Total War teams are going to be working on parallel launches: one will release Warhammer content for a long time to come, while the other will release historical games.

A proper Mongol game wouldn't just be an expanded Medieval. It would have to have a map that stretches all the way to Japan and include all of the major nations in these regions.

Yeah thinking about it, it would be the perfect way to have great unit variety. You have japanese, european, middle east, mongol, and of course Chinese. I would love to see Chinese factions in a Total War game.

Yeah thinking about it, it would be the perfect way to have great unit variety. You have japanese, european, middle east, mongol, and of course Chinese. I would love to see Chinese factions in a Total War game.

Why they haven't made a Total War: Three Kingdoms yet is completely beyond me.

*sinister laughter*

Wow, he wheeled and dealed his way into surrounding you lol. Good luck!

Atilac

I've captured all the holdings my dwarve empire needs save the three in that northern frozen hellscape, but the game chugs soo much moving around the campaign map :(

Not enough euro factions for their audience, and the main region it would sell in doesn't buy retail games the way they sell.

I don't know, Shogun did fine with no Europeans and I'd argue that it's still a relatively popular time frame thanks to games like Dynasty Warriors and Romance of....Plus all the movies and stuff. The target audience would still be westerners in the same way Shogun wasn't aimed at Japanese people but it could still be an opportunity to appeal to the Eastern market.

Hell, if they wanted they could use it as a follow up to Warhammer and use the semi-mythological nature of the RotTK story to keep some of the fantastical elements in the battles. Its a setting where single generals duel hundreds of dudes solo and strategists can literally use magic so it's not too farfetched.

Gaz_RB

I don't know, Shogun did fine with no Europeans and I'd argue that it's still a relatively popular time frame thanks to games like Dynasty Warriors and Romance of....Plus all the movies and stuff. The target audience would still be westerners in the same way Shogun wasn't aimed at Japanese people but it could still be an opportunity to appeal to the Eastern market.

Hell, if they wanted they could use it as a follow up to Warhammer and use the semi-mythological nature of the RotTK story to keep some of the fantastical elements in the battles. Its a setting where single generals duel hundreds of dudes solo and strategists can literally use magic so it's not too farfetched.

Man why do you have to describe cool things like that:(

Shogun is Japan, RotTK is China. Different beasts, in terms of Western appeal.

Lorcain

While my main dwarven army was recovering at the capital after a desperate last stand against a failed Orc Waaagh, my second army carried out a campaign to reconquer lost settlements from the Greenskins. The newly assigned lord commanding the 2nd Dwarven Army, Morgus Ironbeard, was a novice general at the start of this Grudge Campaign.

As Morgus reclaimed one settlement after another, he and his army gained valuable experience and trophies along the way, including a collection of enemy banners. Morgus and the 2nd Army cut through the Greenskins, reclaiming all of the lost settlements, and taking 2 additional Greenskin settlements in the process. At some point during the campaign, his army stopped calling him Morgus Ironbeard, and gave him a new surname, Morgus the Orc-Bane.

I don't remember seeing a notification for the honorific name change, but that's pretty damn cool.

Historically yes, but this particular bit of Chinese history is fairly well known and popular in the west, if just thanks to Dynasty Warriors.

I mean, I'd dig it, don't get me wrong; it's a ridiculously untapped setting, as far as mainstream Western gaming goes. But Dynasty Warriors is a niche title, even moreso than Total War, I feel. Just not sure the audience is there, yet.

ISee

Wow, he wheeled and dealed his way into surrounding you lol. Good luck!

Thx... I seriously need it.

I offered the Bretonnian fools money and they willingly closed their eyes while I concentrated on Reikland and Marienburg. This allowed me to shatter Karl Franzs armies and to wound him in battle. Now the Undead rule in Altdorf but the costs were high and to make things worse Archon decided to show up again. Now I have to fight against Karl Franz, Chaos and some Dwarves in the South. Exactly what I wanted. Having a bad diplomatic stand with everybody really makes the late game very hard.

shugdaddy

Neo Member
Got my dwarf game on track, then grimgor appeared and started destroying me, followed by azhag :(

I need to make sure i've got two decent armies from the off and push a bit quicker I think.

4Tran

There would be so very many nations in the game that rarely ever see their way into a game: you've got Goryeo Korea, Jin China, Western Xia, Khwarezmia, the Abbasid Caliphate, Kamakura Japan, and way more. This would be such a mind-blowing game, CA just needs to make it!

I agree, but I also suspect that the only reason Shogun 2 exists is because the original Total War game used the same setting. One can always hold out hope though.

I mean, I'd dig it, don't get me wrong; it's a ridiculously untapped setting, as far as mainstream Western gaming goes. But Dynasty Warriors is a niche title, even moreso than Total War, I feel. Just not sure the audience is there, yet.
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is far better known in the West than the Sengoku Jidai. In fact, the main reason the latter is known of outside of scholarly circles is likely through Total War itself. While the Three Kingdoms aren't exactly a household name, it's fairly well known to anyone with an interest in Asian history or literature.

T
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is far better known in the West than the Sengoku Jidai. In fact, the main reason the latter is known of outside of scholarly circles is likely through Total War itself. While the Three Kingdoms aren't exactly a household name, it's fairly well known to anyone with an interest in Asian history or literature.

I'd say it's the opposite

Quick question. The OT wasn't quite clear. Is the game played as a campaign or is it random map and scenarios like a Civilization game. Maybe both?

I've always had a mild interest in the series, but this one looks really cool to start.

I've never been able to get into a Total War game. Well the only one I tried was Shogun 2 and that ended in disaster. Having watched a few videos of lionheartx10s playing this got me really interested though. If I'm willing to give it some time do you think I would be able to get into this? Comparing it to Shogun 2 it looks a bit easier to get for beginners, is that correct? I think it's combination of this being warhammer related and the UI being much easier to read that makes me interested.

Lol, I was in the same vote. I never played a TW game but the Lionheart vampire count vids got me interested. Sucker for the fantasy setting, so bought it. Yea I think you will be able to get into this one.

Started with Dwarves (stated that was the easy start) and it seems simple enuff as far as running the ur empire goes. After a couple battles I can understand where I am fucking up at and things like that. Managing to defend against the chaos guys well enuff. Also gettin a lot of money after taking over some settlements with various resources.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Quick question. The OT wasn't quite clear. Is the game played as a campaign or is it random map and scenarios like a Civilization game. Maybe both?

I've always had a mild interest in the series, but this one looks really cool to start.

basically a civ game

4Tran

I'd probably recommend Dwarves or Empire for a first time player
I think that Empire will work best for a new player. It's the faction that's most similar to traditional Total War factions, and so it has the full range of units and have no special mechanics to pay attention to.

The game is played on the same strategic map every time, and with fixed starting positions for each faction.

Well, I caved and bought it. Didn't buy it from Steam though so I can't refund it if I don't like it or it chugs like crap on my PC.

Installing now. Hope I like it as it wasn't cheap...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think they are ready for a real Mongol faction if you look at the innovations since Medieval II. In Medieval II the Mongol invasion event wasn't really threatening. I was England with significant holdings in the Middle East (Also like half of Europe lol) and I made a peace treaty with the Mongols. They didn't really seem to attack anyone though and they weren't playable. Now they have the Horde mechanic, better sacking, and razing options to really make them amazing and playable in Medieval III. They still have a lot of Warhammer stuff to do but I think Medieval III is next with Total War: Khan as the supplemental game.

Tempted to get Medieval for the LOTR mod, but man, those graphics...

Lord Phol

Lol, I was in the same vote. I never played a TW game but the Lionheart vampire count vids got me interested. Sucker for the fantasy setting, so bought it. Yea I think you will be able to get into this one.

Started with Dwarves (stated that was the easy start) and it seems simple enuff as far as running the ur empire goes. After a couple battles I can understand where I am fucking up at and things like that. Managing to defend against the chaos guys well enuff. Also gettin a lot of money after taking over some settlements with various resources.

Haha was thinkning of going dwarfs for first time playthrough as well. Good to hear! Got come cash coming in tomorrow (selling xbox one) so might grab this :).

The game is played on the same strategic map every time, and with fixed starting positions for each faction.

Do we know if any other maps or "scenarios" will be available later with updates/dlc? Maybe this is how total war games are supposed to be played but a little variation is never wrong IMO :p.

Ketch

I think I may be failing my chaos campaign which has been going pretty well. A couple questions might save my ass and a lot of time.

1. Do I need a battering ram to get through the front gates, or can't my giant chaos demon hero and dragon ogres smash it down on their own?

2. How the fuck do I get rid of the little agents who keep backstabbing me on the campaign map. I'm surrounded by like 3 of them as I'm trying to seige the gate.

4Tran

Do we know if any other maps or "scenarios" will be available later with updates/dlc? Maybe this is how total war games are supposed to be played but a little variation is never wrong IMO :p.
Traditionally, you only get new strategic maps from expansions and there will be custom battles that you can fight out. CA has said that they plan to make the expansions as big as full-blown releases, so I'd expect that we'll get huge extensions to the main map. I wouldn't rule out smaller ones though.

In any case, variety isn't really that big a problem for the Total War games since different starting positions make a huge difference in how the game plays out and the factions in Warhammer all play totally differently. I also suspect that some of the smaller factions will get slight roster updates and get made playable in the campaign.

Zirae

Neo Member
So when do we think the first decent sale for this will come along? $44USD is a bit much for me right now, despite owning ever single TW...

Anno

I love watching LegendofTotalWar's campaign series' on YouTube, but man he makes me feel like such an inferior player. By like the largest amount possible.

Lister

Banned
So when do we think the first decent sale for this will come along? $44USD is a bit much for me right now, despite owning ever single TW...

I doubt we'll see anything for at least the Steam winter sale, and then probably only another 10% off what we're seeing now with GMG.

Man, I think I just suck. Twice failed the dwarven campaign on normal. Second time I made a good trek into the south, and then a waagh came from the north and decimated me. It doesn't help that their stupid mobile goblin arches just kite my units because the dwarves are slow and have no cavalry,

I wanted to hold out until Skaven were added in an expansion, but I just have the need to play this in my bones.

Downloading now. Going straight to Vampire Counts. Rip and tear.

9VbVQlU.jpg

My beautiful Dread Army. It's about to fall upon a tiny force of Greenskins but I deployed it so nicely I had to show it off. Graveguard center, Graveguards with Great Weapons on the flanks and spears behind them. Fuck yeah. I had to zoom out quite a bit to capture the scale so it doesn't look as nice and I also had a hard time getting a capture.

Lockless

Has anyone worked out a way to stop the endless chase of army pillaging your land? In one turn Azag sacked two of my settlements and was still too far away for me to catch, even though I ended my last turn literally right next to him.

Hopefully someone makes a mod that either ends your turn after sacking or adds a 25% movement penalty in enemy terrtiory.

karnage10

Banned
Has anyone worked out a way to stop the endless chase of army pillaging your land? In one turn Azag sacked two of my settlements and was still too far away for me to catch, even though I ended my last turn literally right next to him.

Hopefully someone makes a mod that either ends your turn after sacking or adds a 25% movement penalty in enemy terrtiory.
Heroes/agents can sabotage army movements

Top Bottom