• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

yeah its worth it to get the chaos dlc they are really well done

Agreeing with this. I haven't tried their campaign yet, but from what I've seen they play very differently from other factions, and they have a ton of different units and heroes. It's a real new side and not just some lazy DLC ploy.

Anno

Dwarves seem both incentivized to and really good at growing tall in the beginning. There's not a ton of open space nearby, but the few provinces there are in the nearby hills are rich with resources and easily defended. Plus dwarven technology just shits on everyone else it seems. Am I missing something?

Rizzi

Dwarves seem both incentivized to and really good at growing tall in the beginning. There's not a ton of open space nearby, but the few provinces there are in the nearby hills are rich with resources and easily defended. Plus dwarven technology just shits on everyone else it seems. Am I missing something?

;)

Corpekata

Banned
Dwarves at the beginning's only real issue is that they are located right near the Greenskins, their ultimate enemy, and if they get a Waagh on, it can be brutal, and it can also be a bit annoying actually reaching people you can trade with given how many orks are around.

That being said, they ARE meant to be the easy campaign.

Dwarves are supposed to excel defensively, so building tall is really your best bet in any case.

DSix

Banned
Alright, after my disastrous first Vampire campaign, I redid a new one and this time I did not expand too early, and I paid proper attention to my economy and Vampiric aura before going in.
Things got a lot smoother and I could quickly get myself out of the shit tier of units into graveguard and dragons and stuff, while not having populace troubles. Patience pays off.

GRaider81

after 7 hours of previous play i'm suddenly getting hard crashes.

Happening at beginning of campaigns too so system isn't under a lot of strain.

4690k OC to 4.3
980ti
16gb RAM

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?

WHF lore was never really something i looked into too much (prefer W40K), so i'm curious about what sort of new units they could add for the existing races in the game. The obvious ones would be Chaos God specific units or Daemons, but what other things are there they could include?

There are lots of region specific units and unit variations in the Empire books that could be used, especially if they eventually go the route of letting you play as any Empire starting point. They could also expand the " Empire Knight" concept to let you recruit from the various specific orders who are focused on different types of combat. There are also Flagellents, a personal favorite of mine. Berserker religious nutters who run screaming into combat without armor that the Empire likes to use as shock troops.

There are lots of region specific units and unit variations in the Empire books that could be used, especially if they eventually go the route of letting you play as any Empire starting point. They could also expand the " Empire Knight" concept to let you recruit from the various specific orders who are focused on different types of combat. There are also Flagellents, a personal favorite of mine. Berserker religious nutters who run screaming into combat without armor that the Empire likes to use as shock troops.

Two things i'd really like to see would be the Empire Landship and Engineers, including the Mechanical horses they had. (not sure what those actually did, though).

The Landship is massive:

landship5.jpg

Vampire Counts, aka; proposal REJECTED the faction.

Some 200 turns and a normal difficulty long campaign victory later, not once did any of those motherfuckers ever once consider even a measly trade agreement. Always their proposals were "Please stop murdering us for 300 monies" instead.

The only thing I got was a couple non-aggression pacts with the chaos tribes after Archaon got drowned in skeletons, and then a military alliance with the Greenskins. That lasted throughout the entire campaign after I destroyed all of the northern Dwarf kingdoms and Karaz-a-Karak for them, which I still consider A LITTLE MUCH for a shitty alliance when we shared no enemies on our borders.

Oh well. At the end of it all, the only other kingdoms standing were Estalia, the northern tribes, and the Greenskins, so I guess a game can go well with no trade. Ended up with 20,000+ income with 7 armies regardless.

And Terrorgheists are so worth the investment if you guys weren't sure.

Lorcain

I just finished my hard Dwarf campaign. As long as you put your quarellers and thundered in guard mode and focus fire them your range units will annihilate their riders. I had the same issue as you at first, but if you crush a waagh army and then push you just snowball and they can't get their fighting as back up and then suffer dissertion. But my main point was their mounted units are no match for Dwarven ranged units if you focus fire. Just leave a few units/hero in the rear to protect your archers and they'll be fleeing in short order (Orcs have fairly low leadership score and route easily when focused) just be careful not to fire on an army your melee fighters are engaged with unless you're flanking with your ranged units. You'll end up killing a bunch of your own units, especially with thunderers.
Reposting this advice because it's good. Dwarves don't seem to have pure anti-cavalry units. What they do have are easily accessible infantry with shields that can absorb charges, and powerful ranged units. In fact, dwarven ranged units seem to be the counter for everything, just have to keep them protected.

Can you have a pure Goblin army in this (havent tried Greenskins), if not that would be another way to go.
I could've sworn I saw a Night Goblin faction in the SE of the map. They have a purple bordered crest, with the classic night goblin gold crescent moon in the center. I didn't get a chance to fight them because the AI took them out, but I saw their agents/heroes running around and they appeared to be night goblin shamans.

I had valiant last stand against Karl Franz's massive army but I wounded him and did enough damage for Mannfred's army to sweep the Empire from my lands and take out their other massive army under Balthasar. They went from Strength 3 to like 17 lol.

One thing I do miss are formations both for the entire army and for individual units. No arrow head formation for cavalry? No spear walls? No loose formation for archers? I guess these are'nt in Warhammer games but they certainly are in Total War games. I prefer the latter.

BibiMaghoo

There are formations missing that are present in Warhammer. Skirmish was a lose formation for missile troops and scouts. Lance formation also exists for Bretonian knights.

And unlocking the other Magic Collages too.

So yesterday I had done a couple of turns of the Chaos campaign thinking I was going to do that, but today I decided to try my hand at Very Hard instead and didn't feel like doing it with Chaos as it sounds annoying so went Dwarfs. Finished it after playing the entire day(or well almost finished it I need to pass a bunch of turns for confederation debuff to wear off and get all the western dwarfs realms under my control).

It started really bad, there were orcs everywhere raiding me constantly and I basically had to turtle in the first province for like 10turns with grudges piling up, then I had to raise a second small army to serve as garrison to not leave stuff undefended, and I was negative on income for a few turns. Eventually got out and sacked all the orcs stuff though plus all the sweet grudge money when I killed them all, and then they starting fighting themselves cause they're dumb as hell and I eliminated Greenskins fairly early, like turn 40 or so. After that I just played passively just working on all the economy stuff. Then as I finished unifying all the southern area under my control by confederating the last dwarven clan in the area, the chaos event started, at turn 79(which is way early).

Then I found out there was still one orc stack running around the south somehow even though he didn't have a settlement in the past like 20turns and at the same time 4 marauder stacks spawned in the south. Took me a while to get there then clear all that garbage, meanwhile Archeon and friends were slowly working their way towards the south through ravaged lands(the first chaos incursion I didn't bother going and apparently no one else did either, so everything north of sylvania was in ruins).

At first I though I was ok and he was going for Mannfred first, but then he turned back with Sigvald and went for the northern dwarven fort, while the pigeon and the lizard decided they're go tickle Franz see if he was still alive. Turns out he was, he had like 4 armies over there and Britannia had 2 more, I thought they were pretty much dead since they hadn't bothered with Ostland and stuff but seems they were biding their time.

Anyway Archeon starts sieging the fort while Sigvald goes around and raze the minor settlement. Here's where it gets fun. Archeon finishes building his towers, game says I have like 20% chance to win with the garrison only on autoresolve. But it's lvl 5 with lvl 3 walls, it's not crap stuff, so I figure I'll try. Well he managed to destroy the 2 doors and one chaos giant got in for about 10seconds before dying to thousands of bullets. Rest of the army got decimated and he went running.

Seeing his buddy fail so poorly, Sigvald obviously decides he wants to show off and sieges right away after instead of waiting for Archeon to rebuild his army. Doors still open, I do the fight again. This time he gets a bunch of stuff inside, into a concave of angry stunties and a flamethrower + organ gun. He even came to check what was taking so long but the slayers made short work of him and he was sent packing.

And so 2 of the scariest armies the world has ever seen were defeated by a garrison of unknown dwarfs, while their king and slayer king were stuck in the mountains on the way. Morale of the story, if you want to siege a dwarf stronghold, you better bring both armies at the same time.

Dwarfs are pretty fun, even though they feel a bit easy. All their ranged units are also good in melee, and they're stupidly strong at range. Their melees are also super good, and you can get units that give the leadership aura thing to everyone plus every unit has high leadership, so they almost never break. They are however terrible at finishing runners off so greenskins armies can be a pain when you have to fight them 2 or 3 times each because everytime half the army escapes.

Lorcain

I'm curious if anyone releases lore rival captives after battles? Playing Dwarves I always executed Greenskins and Savage Orcs until their kind was wiped off the map. I just can't imagine Dwarves or Greenskins letting each other go after battles.

I'm curious if anyone releases lore rival captives after battles? Playing Dwarves I always executed Greenskins and Savage Orcs until their kind was wiped off the map. I just can't imagine Dwarves or Greenskins letting each other go after battles.

I kinda did when I really needed the money, although releasing captives almost guarantees the army survive versus greenskins which means you need to fight them again(which can be good if you're in range, free xp). You do get a bunch of diplomacy penalties for releasing greenskins as dwarfs though. Actually that's another potential reason it has small diplomacy effects so you could use it to sign peace with your enemy for a while if you do it often I'd assume.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Late into the Empire campaign and I am at war with everyone. Probably fucked because Chaos is coming from the north and I had very slim military presence up there.

I'm currently in my play through of the Empire and I decimated the chaos and vampire counts. I made everyone around me a vassal state or an ally and I'm heading to the greenskins. I'm not even sure when the game ends?

I'd love a total war game of thrones.

GRaider81

Game is getting stuck at Dev splash screen.

Have tried playing in offline mode and still no luck.

played 14 hours and just started doing this

4Tran

Game is getting stuck at Dev splash screen.

Have tried playing in offline mode and still no luck.

played 14 hours and just started doing this
Have you verified the integrity of the game cache yet? If not, then you can do so in Steam: R.Click Game in Library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache

I had to give up my hard difficulty game as Chaos, they are just really frustrating to play right now. I got to about turn 150 and managed to
beat the Tzeentch bird wizard guy
and sacked/razed the empire's capital but I stopped playing because I was tired of their mechanics. In particular, their unit replenishment is what grinds their campaign to a halt. In the early game I just moved my armies back into friendly Norsca territory and replenished there, but now I have to be deep south and there is no time to go back due to the fact I'm losing 5000 favor per turn. You can merge your normal units sure but my heroes have been constantly below 25% hp for the past 25 turns. I think I read somewhere that more chaos corruption in a province is supposed to increase unit replenishment, but I have my armies in the province just north of Reikland and its at 70-75% corruption and they are replenishing the same as anywhere else. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to see what effects chaos in a region has on your armies when you are playing as them. In any case, I hope CA patches the game so that corruption in a region vastly increases your unit replenishment. At +50 you should be able to replenish a unit in 4 turns at most.

Faceache

So the only thing stopping me completing the long campaign as dwarves is to have no active grudges. The only grudge I have left is to achieve rank 15 with a master engineer, my highest rank is 5. Ugh..

Why the hell is that even a grudge anyway?

I'm almost at turn 300 for my VC campaign. Slow and steady I guess. I was in a major campaign against the Empire but then my dwarf vassal betrayed me so they had to be dealt with. I sacked and razed all 8 of his settlements and now I'm back to war against the Empire.

Gaz_RB

Up to turn 500 on my Very Hard Empire campaign. What an epic journey it's been so far. It's just me versus the Dwarves now.

The Norsca tribes got some BULLSHIT.

My Empire expeditionary force spent so many turns in the north razing the Skaeling ports, moving an inch, and encamping while fighting the 8 armies they pull out of their asses. I take out all of the ports so that their annoying raids wouldn't happen so often, but it turns out they don't even need the damn ports to sail like I do. They can just walk right across.

Glad I spent 50 turns and two armies on nothing.

Tworak

ahh I need some bretonnia single player in my life. tried the mod, and looking forward to official. horses and paladins n shit.
The Norsca tribes got some BULLSHIT.

My Empire expeditionary force spent so many turns in the north razing the Skaeling ports, moving an inch, and encamping while fighting the 8 armies they pull out of their asses. I take out all of the ports so that their annoying raids wouldn't happen so often, but it turns out they don't even need the damn ports to sail like I do. They can just walk right across.

Glad I spent 50 turns and two armies on nothing.

yeh

Is Chaos programmed to head towards the player? It seems that way just from what I'm hearing and what I experienced. They attacked areas not owned by me but pretty much exclusively operated in my sphere of influence until I destroyed them. Also the undead Zombie Dragon is cool. Just to let everyone know.

Pizza

Very low.

AoS focuses on 40K style skirmishes instead of large scale formations fighting.
AoS have barely a world to conquer. They didn't bother to try and write something that would replace The Old World from WH:F properly before throwing everything out the window.
AoS plays out in space inside bubbles of "realms" or whatever, so there is no world to try and move around properly on and conquer Total War style.

Basically, just wait for Dawn of War 3 and then pretend that the Space Marine bolters shoots thunder instead and you got your Age of Sigmar videogame right there.

The "Realms" are actually eight separate planets that are fuckhuge enough to let you rationalize that anyone could fight anyone else, which is pretty badass IMO, also the old world is still there as the huge twin-tailed meteor Azyrheim is built around. Sigmar could totally work as an RTS game, it could probably even be canon if they used made-up characters like the Blood Ravens for DoW.

I'll lose my marbles if Chaos Dwarfs are DLC, Kholek Suneater as a general is already fucking nuts!

How hard or easy is it to wipe out the varg and the skaeling? I've essentially completed the campaign, I own all the empire provinces and wiped out the vampire counts and the chaos. It came up saying I completed the campaign but I continued because I wanted too.. But going into their neck of the woods is hard :(

Palmer_v1

So the only thing stopping me completing the long campaign as dwarves is to have no active grudges. The only grudge I have left is to achieve rank 15 with a master engineer, my highest rank is 5. Ugh..

Why the hell is that even a grudge anyway?

I have the same problem. I kinda forgot about that aspect until I was 90% done with everything else. I would have attached one to my main army for the xp long ago.

Lorcain

Is Chaos programmed to head towards the player? It seems that way just from what I'm hearing and what I experienced. They attacked areas not owned by me but pretty much exclusively operated in my sphere of influence until I destroyed them. Also the undead Zombie Dragon is cool. Just to let everyone know.
They never made it to me during my Dwarf campaign. The End Times came and went without my dwarves fighting a single battle against Chaos. That said, I was impressed with the diplomacy AI during the End Times scenario. Every faction suddenly wanted to go full military alliance with my dwarves.

Palmer_v1

They never made it to me during my Dwarf campaign. The End Times came and went without my dwarves fighting a single battle against Chaos. That said, I was impressed with the diplomacy AI during the End Times scenario. Every faction suddenly wanted to go full military alliance with my dwarves.

Same. My game feels a bit weird as Dwarves on Normal.

By turn 30, I think I had wiped out the Greenskins entirely.

Next 20 turns or so consisted of razing the border princes completely, and getting all eastern dwarves into confederation. Then, without ever fighting them in a battle, the main vampire group asked to be my vassals.

I then spent another 20 turns or so dealing with a random norse invasion to the south, and razing a few of the more truculent human factions in the middle of the map, while having the empire ally with me.

Then Chaos invaded, and for lack of any other pressing enemies, I headed north to see what was going on, got tired of dealing with Vampire attrition, killed them off, then fought one dragon ogre, and the Chaos leader. They never came anywhere near my territory thanks to all of the Human buffers, though at this point, the only thing touching my borders that isn't a smoking crater is Kislev.

After Chaos went away, all I needed to do to win was take over the 2-3 dwarven groups near the center of the map, but they refused to join, so I've gone to war with them. Ironically, this hot dwarf on dwarf action has pissed empire off enough to declare war on me. This is okay, because I was using my two legendary leaders to clear the dwarves, and had another 7 or so armies sitting around with their thumb's up their asses, not to mention about 15K gold income a turn, and a reserve of around 200K right now cause I got bored upgrading stuff that was never going to matter. It also gives me something to start sabotaging with the 5 or so thane/runesmiths that I stuck in a pile so I could ignore them more effectively.

So that's where I'm at around turn 110. I need to take 2 dwarven settlements(which I can already see are undefended aside from garrisons), and then rampage through the empire until a fucking master engineer reaches level 15.

KorrZ

~50 turns in on Empire normal difficulty.

All of the Reikland is mine and fully upgraded - I managed to get Stirland to join my confederation and Averland (Averland joined after I was 1 day away from starving out their capital). I conquered Carrouburg from Middenland and currently have a full stack army with Franz sieging down Marienburg.

I've got 3 full stack armies at this point and feel pretty good. Wasn't expecting the whole "confederation" penalty but my allies still seem OK enough.

Top Bottom