• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Bust Nak

Wonder if we should level them up in battle or something? Because I have the same problem atm.

Failing mission still grant XP. Fighting in battle give XP for kills, so get stuck in. Failing that, just deploying an agent in a region will gain you XP slowly - pro tip, an agent stay deployed between turns, clicking the deploy button again actually un-deploy him. You can see if an agent is currently deployed by the aura around him.

I have a problem where I can't get my main building chain up, it says I need more growth. I need more money but my public order was low and even if I turned taxes off it only went up +2 tops, but I needed money to make a building to get growth....so confusing.

Just can someone tell me when starting out a good way to get growth and public order up without breaking your entire bank in the process?
Maybe you are expanding too quickly and upkeep cost is killing you? I am 100 odd turns in and I've maintain +1000-ish income through out. Garrison an army in the town to get a boost in public order, while you are saving money to build the growth or public order building, your vampiric corruption is building up, so that helps. Vampire agent gives growth and wight king gives public order when deployed.

Ketch

So I made it pretty far in my empire campaign, but can't do shit with the orcs. like just get routed every fight and can't beat anybody. also full stack dwarves show up on like turn 15

Does an agent become recruitable again after a short time if you disband them? I had to send one across the map for a quest and it just didn't make sense to take the 10+ turns to run him back.

Edit: Apparently not, unlike lords... That sucks, there goes my level 16 Thane.

Lol, I just realized all I have left to do to win is Drive the Chaos back to the wastes. Damn I probably could have been done a while ago, but I wanted to research the high end weapons and stuff to play around. I'm making like 14k a turn right now lol.

Is there some trick to moving Vampire Lords far away from home territory? I have a quest that requires me to send an army into Orc territory halfway across the world. Even if I could seize that much territory and not collapse from having too large of an empire, just setting up sufficient vampiric corruption would take probably a hundred turns.

Klyka

Banned
The whole "obedience" thing and watching how quickly you grow is taking some getting used to for me, but my Orkz are getting there.

Is there some trick to moving Vampire Lords far away from home territory? I have a quest that requires me to send an army into Orc territory halfway across the world. Even if I could seize that much territory and not collapse from having too large of an empire, just setting up sufficient vampiric corruption would take probably a hundred turns.

I had a quest to send a Dwarf Thane all the way across the map, read it carefully what does it say? Deploy? If so then you literally just need to walk them across the map and then click the eye icon at the bottom when you arrive. It's shitty that they make you walk all the way across the map, but eh.

Fitz

If you're talking about the actual quest battles, you can just select the battle, then click the little button in the bottom right to temporarily teleport your army there for a fee, no need to walk all the way.

After all the good reviews I decided to buy it.

The game seems really good so far, though I've barely scratched the surface.

Despite the "everything is overpowered" nature of Warhammer, I think the game reminds me most of Shogun 2.

The units (as Empire) seem to have clear roles and it's easy to understand their purpose (swords beat spears, spears beat cavalry/large, halberds beat armour, Cavalry do it from behind).
So far, the unit balance seems good. The tougher units like Trolls are nasty, but not undefeatable, and I haven't seen any of the animation bugs that have plagued previous TW games (i.e. where a unit literally does nothing because his attack animation can't trigger).

I love the simplification of settlement building. Rome 2 went stupid in having tons of buildings that were useless and/or gimped your settlements, while making it really hard to figure out what the 'right' choice was.
TW:W gives you interesting and difficult choices (do I choose growth, money, defence, order or soldiers) rather than the stupidly obfuscated choices of Rome2/Attilla.

Despite this streamlining, there is still a huge amount of stuff to do. It doesn't feel dumbed down at all. The mission structure seems really good and it looks like they're integrating a bunch of set-piece battles into the campaign (at least based on the scripted ambush battle mission I just did). That really helps to bring some variety into the game.

The map also makes the game pretty hard. In most TW games, the best strategy is simply to maximise your 'area' while minimising your borders - making sure that you aren't fighting on too many fronts. The land-locked Warhammer map with tons of factions means that you 're always at risk of wars on multiple fronts.

I wonder what race expansions they'll do. I'd love High/Dark Elves, but they live on a different continent so it would be hard to integrate them into the main campaign.
Wood elves would be difficult to add since lore-wise they live in woods and don't build a massive empire.
Skaven seem like a good idea that could be implemented quite easily, same with Chaos Dwarves. Brettonia and Kislev could also be unlifted into major factions.

You don't need to send the whole army. Send just your agent (A Banshee, if it's the one I think you are talking about) down to the quest area, deploy them, and wait for the quest to complete.

Once it does, you can then WARP your army straight to the quest point by paying a fee (5000 bucks, I think). You can fight the battle then get sent straight back home without taking attrition. This works for all races, no need to walk at all beyond that initial hike your agent takes.

I wonder what race expansions they'll do. I'd love High/Dark Elves, but they live on a different continent so it would be hard to integrate them into the main campaign.
Wood elves would be difficult to add since lore-wise they live in woods and don't build a massive empire.
Skaven seem like a good idea that could be implemented quite easily, same with Chaos Dwarves. Brettonia and Kislev could also be unlifted into major factions.

They said they were planning on expanding the world wap along with the expansions in a modular way, so I'm guessing the New World will happen eventually. So Elves and Lizard Men will definitely happen. Bretonnia is already playable as it's own faction in skirmish mode, and I THINK they've said their campaign would be a free expansion a few months down the line. I'm personally waiting for Skaven.

Tworak

They said they were planning on expanding the world wap along with the expansions in a modular way, so I'm guessing the New World will happen eventually. So Elves and Lizard Men will definitely happen. Bretonnia is already playable as it's own faction in skirmish mode, and I THINK they've said their campaign would be a free expansion a few months down the line. I'm personally waiting for Skaven.
yep, I heard the same about the bretonnia singleplayer campaign. Skaven would be fun.

yep, I heard the same about the bretonnia singleplayer campaign. Skaven would be fun.

I could see the Skaven having an interesting under-empire system along with the dwarves.

Really the hard part would be Tomb-Kings. While they do engage in Total War style empire building it is usually among themselves on their own separate land and they only venture into the Old World to right some wrong or retrieve a stolen treasure. It would be nice to see Araby or the other countries which border there lands fleshed out though, Its known that they were considered for an army at one time and there was background work but nothing public has ever been revealed.

I could see the Skaven having an interesting under-empire system along with the dwarves.

Really the hard part would be Tomb-Kings. While they do engage in Total War style empire building it is usually among themselves on their own separate land and they only venture into the Old World to right some wrong or retrieve a stolen treasure. It would be nice to see Araby or the other countries which border there lands fleshed out though, Its known that they were considered for an army at one time and there was background work but nothing public has ever been revealed.

It'd be cool if they expanded on the the underground for the Skaven and Dwarves; Greenskins too. Maybe not necessarily an entirely new map or anything like that but it'd be cool to see the mechanic expanded. Maybe Skaven can expand influence like Chaos/Vampire Counts, representing their tunnels and warrens growing underground. It could increase their campaign movement range where it's available, or offer alternative siege options if you can expand them to a city.

Those damn Tempelhof bastards. I forced them into an attrition area but they kept moving away from my army. I decided to set up an ambush outside one of my settlements and they sprang the trap. I wiped out a 2000 man army losing like 40 of my guys. Felt so good.

I think the problem with Chaos is that I felt I was always chasing people, spending all my money trying to get places and find fights I could win and then the agents were following me the whole time so by the time I got to a place I could sack my guys were half dead, barely hanging on.

Corpekata

Banned
Annnnd that's my Orc run done and dusted. Spread myself way too thin warring on too many fronts. Made one last go at the Dwarf Lord in his stronghold and while we both fell wounded, lesser dwarven lords plus some other orcs I pissed off closed in.

Going to try dwarves this time I think and relax on the expansionism.

karnage10

Banned
After all the good reviews I decided to buy it.

The game seems really good so far, though I've barely scratched the surface.

Despite the "everything is overpowered" nature of Warhammer, I think the game reminds me most of Shogun 2.

The units (as Empire) seem to have clear roles and it's easy to understand their purpose (swords beat spears, spears beat cavalry/large, halberds beat armour, Cavalry do it from behind).
So far, the unit balance seems good. The tougher units like Trolls are nasty, but not undefeatable, and I haven't seen any of the animation bugs that have plagued previous TW games (i.e. where a unit literally does nothing because his attack animation can't trigger).

I love the simplification of settlement building. Rome 2 went stupid in having tons of buildings that were useless and/or gimped your settlements, while making it really hard to figure out what the 'right' choice was.
TW:W gives you interesting and difficult choices (do I choose growth, money, defence, order or soldiers) rather than the stupidly obfuscated choices of Rome2/Attilla.

Despite this streamlining, there is still a huge amount of stuff to do. It doesn't feel dumbed down at all. The mission structure seems really good and it looks like they're integrating a bunch of set-piece battles into the campaign (at least based on the scripted ambush battle mission I just did). That really helps to bring some variety into the game.

The map also makes the game pretty hard. In most TW games, the best strategy is simply to maximise your 'area' while minimising your borders - making sure that you aren't fighting on too many fronts. The land-locked Warhammer map with tons of factions means that you 're always at risk of wars on multiple fronts.

CA have said that each standalone expansion will expand the map so i fully expect them to add the elves kingdom and introduce naval battles.

Finished my first playthrough, had never played TW before so started on Normal, but was kinda easy so I'll probably do very hard next time or something see how it goes. Took 198 turns to finish, 20 of which were literally only moving my 3armies through the desert super slowly to encircle 1/4 of a dwarf army so it wouldn't tunnel again and make me waste 20more turns. And the 20 before that were killing like 3 armies so small I could have won 1vs3 and clearing their buildings in in the middle of the badlands. Finishing dwarves(or orcs I guess) is annoying as hell. Meanwhile it took me about 15 turns to clear all of Brittannia including their 3 full armies, and didn't even have my full force there.

And yeah agents were definitely one of the worst part. As soon as I started noticing a bunch of agents running around and just being nuisances, I made 2 banshees to start killing stuff, and only a few turns after I decided to destroy one of my +100gold buildings to make another building to get more banshees, that's how many there were. Although once I had 4banshees and leveled them attacking stuff every turn, I cleaned out nicely and at that point the banshees were more about assisting my armies by slowing enemies or destroy walls during sieges than killing agents, since any agents that showed up was a 75-80% chance to assassinate with 0 chance of critical fail.

Gaz_RB

Those damn Tempelhof bastards. I forced them into an attrition area but they kept moving away from my army. I decided to set up an ambush outside one of my settlements and they sprang the trap. I wiped out a 2000 man army losing like 40 of my guys. Felt so good.

I think the problem with Chaos is that I felt I was always chasing people, spending all my money trying to get places and find fights I could win and then the agents were following me the whole time so by the time I got to a place I could sack my guys were half dead, barely hanging on.

Templehof is such a little bitch, talks big game til I smash his army. Then it's all Peace Treaty this, Peace Treaty that.

I need a computer for this. Someone pick a computer on line for me that can run this on high and I'll buy it. Price limit 1000

Build your own computer, it will be better and cheaper, yadda yadda, it's not that hard, etc etc, check the NeoGAF thread, blah blah

Really though.

But if you're dead set on getting a pre built, there was that really nice deal on a prebuilt HP Envy 750 floating around for a while

KaYotiX

Banned
Build your own computer, it will be better and cheaper, yadda yadda, it's not that hard, etc etc, check the NeoGAF thread, blah blah

Really though.

But if you're dead set on getting a pre built, there was that really nice deal on a prebuilt HP Envy 750 floating around for a while

Take this advice, i just built a pretty decent rig for about $840 and it was super easy to put together. Havent built one in over 10 years and i was done in about 2 hrs (including cable management)

Wish i had the $$ for this and doom :)

Llyranor

Really though.

I'd still recommend a custom build. There are plenty of GAFers that will help build you the best PC you can get for your budget in the PC thread.

There are online stores that will pricematch parts (so you can buy from one store only) and assemble it for you + deliver to your place. NCIX in Canada offers the assembly for 50$CDN. I'm sure the US or wherever you're from should have similar services (NCIX also has a US site, for example). You'll still save vs a prebuilt imo

Finally got a dwarf campaign going well. Just took out the greenskins and i'm holding off the vampire counts. Although it turns out Im no where near finished since you have to get all the lands to the west :p.

Finally got a dwarf campaign going well. Just took out the greenskins and i'm holding off the vampire counts. Although it turns out Im no where near finished since you have to get all the lands to the west :p.

They tried to offer me peace. Shot that shit down real quick.

Templehof is such a little bitch, talks big game til I smash his army. Then it's all Peace Treaty this, Peace Treaty that.

Shouldn't have sacked my town if you didn't want to be destroyed. Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.

I need a computer for this. Someone pick a computer on line for me that can run this on high and I'll buy it. Price limit 1000

You could build a really sweet rig for $1000 bucks. Especially if you already have the basics like a monitor, keyboard, mouse. Mine was around $1000 but then I had to tack on a monitor and stuff. I also built mine so I could play this game.

Gaz_RB

So as the Dwarves I've made Peace with the Greenskins early on and we've coexisted peacefully since then allowing me to focus on uniting the northern dwarves and making the Vampire Counts irrelevant. It's kinda of funny actually. The Greenskins had like two Waaagghhh armies and I though they were going to attack me but they just marched past and attacked the Border Princes. Maybe I'll just end up joining hands and uniting with them against the forces of Chaos.

Lorcain

So as the Dwarves I've made Peace with the Greenskins early on and we've coexisted peacefully since then allowing me to focus on uniting the northern dwarves and making the Vampire Counts irrelevant. It's kinda of funny actually. The Greenskins had like two Waaagghhh armies and I though they were going to attack me but they just marched past and attacked the Border Princes. Maybe I'll just end up joining hands and uniting with them against the forces of Chaos.
You've already been added to the Book of Grudges for cooperating with the hated enemy.
That's hilarious that you can do that :)

I've been focused on using diplomacy to the fullest during my dwarf campaign, while methodically taking out the nearest Greenskins. The diplomatic approach has already paid off when I called an ally target of attack on Mount Gunbad, and 2 NPC dwarven armies answered the call. The AI seems pretty competent. I have 3 armies besieging Mt. Gunbad, 1 mine and 2 ally AI. We already won a battle together when the Greenskins sent out an army to try and slow our advance.

Bretonnia is so far the hardest faction I've fought against with the Empire. They obliterated my KF mixed-arms group (swords, spears, crossbows, light cav and artillery). It was a slaughter.

edit: This was on normal. Also partially my fault. Though my units were pretty crummy, the map itself was heavily forested, and I didn't realise that cav units get significant debuffs in wooded areas.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
As the Dwarves I have no agreed military alliances with all the human races. Only races I don't have any with are the VCs, Top Knots (Who will soon be wiped out) and the Chaos.

Greenskins and the other race to the south are wiped out, I own the majority of the map. Chaos are attacking VC settlements atm, just North of me, so preparing for them after taking the final TK's settlement.

Mideon

Restarted empire campaign 3 times got wrecked every single time maybe this type of game is not my thing after all

My Dwarves getting REKKED by the Goblin Wolf Riders. They'll just flank and fuck me up every single time.

What I've been doing is using my wolves to drive them off, especially if it's light cav or a monstrous unit. Of course, some cav are anti large so it might hurt but you just need to stop then so other units (hounds, other cavalry) can go around the back and wipe them out. The nice thing about VCs is that zombies make great pinning forces. Just throw zombies at them and hope they last long enough for the real guys to get around.

If you're really outnumbered it might help to just form a circle to be honest. At least you'll avoid getting flanked. Unless your units really out class the enemy's, flanking is always the easiest way to domino an enemy army.

I had a quest to send a Dwarf Thane all the way across the map, read it carefully what does it say? Deploy? If so then you literally just need to walk them across the map and then click the eye icon at the bottom when you arrive. It's shitty that they make you walk all the way across the map, but eh.

Yeah, I had to deploy a Banshee for the first step, which did take a while -- though this did force me to uncover more of the map, which I realize now I should have been doing already. But the second step involves my actual army, which fortunately sounds easier than I thought.

If you're talking about the actual quest battles, you can just select the battle, then click the little button in the bottom right to temporarily teleport your army there for a fee, no need to walk all the way.

You don't need to send the whole army. Send just your agent (A Banshee, if it's the one I think you are talking about) down to the quest area, deploy them, and wait for the quest to complete.

Once it does, you can then WARP your army straight to the quest point by paying a fee (5000 bucks, I think). You can fight the battle then get sent straight back home without taking attrition. This works for all races, no need to walk at all beyond that initial hike your agent takes.

Oh man, thanks a lot!

I just started a Dwarven campaign after getting wrecked as the Empire (Rebellions result in serious doomstacks, not just pissed off garrisons.) My complaint is that their campaign movement SUCKS. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I supposed to use underway exclusively?

rdytoroll

Haven't played all day today because of being addicted to Overwatch. Not sure if both of those games releasing on the same day was great or bad for me lol. Probably gonna start a new campaign tomorrow though, if I can pull myself away from Overwatch

Top Bottom