• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

mkenyon

Banned
Continued
Battle – general

Fixed a bug where garrison reinforcements for the defender were not being deployed at the beginning of a siege battle.

Improved audio while placing the camera over or into holes in the battlefield (e.g. environment and wind audio will not cut out).

Fixed a bug where AI reinforcement armies deployed at the beginning of a battle were controllable by the player.

Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns will no longer raise their arms as if they have a shield when taking projectile fire.

Fixed an issue with the Vampire Bat Cage projectiles from Siege Towers.

Fixed some gaps/holes in battle outfields.

Improved the trees in Bloodpine Woods map on low graphics settings.

The Savage Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns weapon will no longer dethatch from their left hand while they are attacking with their right.

Improved combat/melee animation for Outriders.

Improved animation on Black Orc attacks.

Fixed an issue where the wrong number of crewmen were being passed from the battle to the campaign, causing erroneously huge loot amounts.

Fixed an issue where reinforcements were not coming into battle when there is more than one reinforcing Waaagh! Army.

Fixed an issue where some units retreating from Battle would only have 1 HP upon returning to Campaign.

Adjusted the position that reinforcements enter in underway battles

Added audio to the Bretonnian Siege Towers with spinning spiked rollers.

Fixed some porthole images for Forsaken, Dragon Ogres and Shaggoths, which appeared too red.

Shadows are now more accurately rendered when moving the camera quickly in snow battles and zooming with the [N] key.

Fixed a bug where the rotation of reinforcement armies was not correct when playing a replay, as the approach angle of the primary army was not being saved.

Fixed the terrain in battles near Misty Mountains and Karak Kadrin, so units do not stand under the ground.

Lords will no longer use incorrect vocalisations when their army is destroyed.

Fixed a bug during battles where “Withdraw” voiceover played from the unit that was currently selected, even if they were not the unit that was withdrawing.

Units may now taunt and cheer during Quest Battle speeches.

Bretonnian unit vocalisation will now be more accurate regarding the weapons the units are using.

Single creatures may now shriek when swooping in to attack enemy land units.

Fixed battle results screen to show kills for large armies.

Corrected the Vampire character portrait ahead of the Chaos Tomb Blade quest battle.

When a Steam Tank is destroyed in battle, the turret no longer remains.

Improved how decals smear over props on the battlefield.

Reduced the visible popping between the Chaos Encampment tower LoDs.

Improved/reduced how often individual units taunt while marching, as it sounded too frequent, especially when marching a large army towards an objective.

Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented AI-controlled missile units from firing when they should.

AI-controlled artillery crews will no longer stand idle if they had abandoned their equipment and their equipment is out of ammunition.

Fixed an issue where unit card status icons would disappear on some cards when fighting with large armies.

Fixed a Battle UI issue, where dragging a card from a locked group to an unlocked group didn't correctly remove unit from the battle group. So when the locked group’s formation is dragged out or moved on the battlefield, the unit that was moved into the unlocked group is also moved with the locked group that it was previously in.

You’ve come so far. Don’t give up now!

Fixed incorrect calculation of 'other income' on finance details panel.

Reinforcements with Unbreakable attribute will no longer enter a battle with 0 morale.

Crossroads map has now been made flat.

Tweaked deployment zones and army setups for Kholek's Starcrusher Quest Battle.

At the start of the Starcrusher Quest Battle, the Greenskins will no longer flee.

Improved the precision of fort perimeters in battle, so the game can more accurately judge if flying creatures are within the fort.

Tweaked the AI army to Increase the difficulty of the Armour of Morkar Quest Battle.

Fixed some gatehouse wall sections to prevent units getting stuck between two sections of destroyed walls.

Gork is now appreciably Gorkier.

Fixed an issue with reinforcements during the Axe of Dargo Quest battle.

Fixed a bug where the attacker and defender were deployed in the wrong positions in Black Crag sally-out battles.

Fixed a bug with hard collision breaking the navigation.

Fixed some dark areas in the Thundering Falls Quest Battle map which didn't interact well with the Screen Space Reflections graphics option.

Fixed a bug where the Greenskin Gatehouse wasn't always opened during the prelude battle, at the point the player gains control of all units.

Fixed an issue during the Greenskins prelude battle where the Gatehouse would sometimes not be destroyed before the player gained control of units.

Long shadows on battlefields are now displayed better.

Improved Thorgrim's celebration animation on the Campaign map after winning a battle

Improved Thorgrim's death animation on the Campaign map.

Bretonnian Peasant Bowmen swords will no longer float next to their hands when performing a stab animation.

Prevented the Chaos Sorcerer’s cape from clipping through their horse on the Campaign map.

Improved Greatswords overhead attach animations.

Technical

Fixed a number of rare crashes and memory leaks during campaign and battle.

Improved AMD Eyefinity support

Numerous minor typo and text-display issues found and fixed

Loading the debug camera by changing the default_battle_camera_type and default_campaign_camera_type to 2 in the preference.script has been disabled, as it was causing crashes.

Fixed an issue with Korean font rendering, which made characters shift around and flicker.

Fix for transparent trees with MSAA turned on.

The R7 M260 card will now display the correct Video Memory in the Advanced Graphics options.

MSAA will no longer expose flat planes around the edges of battlefield vegetation.

Fixed some buildings not opening in the Building Browser and Game Guide.

Fixed an issue that could cause Unit Cards to become blurry when mouseing over them in the Building Browser.

Fixed an issue where couldn't mouse over unit info panel on building browser card if info panel was on the right of the card.

Fixed an issue where players could open chat with the shortcut key while the button is inaccessible (which caused a renderings issue when opening the chat while in spell browser was already open).

On the Character Details panel UI lock-up bug fixed.

Fixed a bug where tool-tips on the Game Guide were not being updated after moving the mouse off the link that made the tool-tip appear.

Fixed the link to the Game Guide from the Recruit Lord panel in Campaign modes.

Game Guide now scales better when the user changes the games resolution in windowed mode.

Fixed right-clicks in the Game Guide not taking the player to correct page in non-English languages.

Corrected some Empire building technology unlocks in the Game Guide.

Global recruitment options will now highlight when the cursor is hovered over help page term.

Fixed a bug with hard collision breaking the navigation.

Fixed some dark areas in the Thundering Falls Quest Battle map which didn't interact well with the Screen Space Reflections graphics option.

Known DX12 issues

Crash on startup on AMD R7 200 series GPUs.

Shadow flickering on some maps in very large army scenarios on R9 Fury and 300 series cards

The game will stop updating on-screen when switching between Fullscreen-Windowed mode on HD7800

When Multi-Sample Anti-aliasing (MSAA) is enabled on some AMD R9 300 series cards, some models may exhibit a wireframe like appearance when close to the camera

Nvidia GTX 900 series GPUs may experience occasional shadow flickering with Multi-Sample Aliasing enabled
ah, ffs, top of the page.

Fitz

Tomorrow, also looking forward to trying the two benchmarks, wonder how much the difference will be with a 10xx.

Lister

Banned
Tomorrow, also looking forward to trying the two benchmarks, wonder how much the difference will be with a 10xx.

It looks like we should see a boost, specially to performance stability just by using the DX12 renderer, thanks to lower CPU overhead and what is, hopefully, a mor eoptimized pipeline.

On top of that is another boost from Async compute - but that's only supported by AMD cards and the new GTX 10xx cards.

AMD cards ar elikely to see the largest boost since AMD DX11 drivers are just not on par with NVidia's. DX12 should even the field a bit more. But NVidia users should still see a better more consistently performing game (minus some possible bugs as this is a beta).

Update 1 sounds great. Although I didn't see a Vsync fix mentioned (where the UI flickers with it active... moreso than it does with it disabled)? That'll be a bummer.

Also, new unit for Vamps, a faction I have yet to beat the campaign with.
aP9m9ya.gif

Might replay a VC campaign, it was the first one I did since I really wanted to play them but since it was my first TW I played on normal and it was overall too easy and stuff. Legendary with the new units and the new rebalancing of various stuff sounds nice. They're buffing ethereal units too it seems, wonder what's the new value going to be like. I felt 75% was pretty good, the units were expensive but could generally do really well against other expensive high damage units, especially armour piercing ones. They just sucked quite a bit if they got surrounded cause they'd start crumbling and since they had low health they'd lose hp super fast(then again it also meant using invocation of nehek on them healed them super fast in comparison to other stuff). And funny enough, they also sucked really badly against large blobs of trash tier units, due to how their damage reduction worked.

I'll probably play it similarily to my last few campaigns, with 1, maybe 2 really high tier armies and lightning strike to pick my fight, it felt a lot better that way than handling half a dozen of generic armies. I'm thinking like wraiths(both types), black knights and blood knights only or something like that. High speed, high impact, bunch of magic to support that and banshees to make holes in walls for sieges so I can just charge right through.

There's some missing stuff in terms of fixes and balance, but they nailed a bunch, or at least tried, need to see the result. Like AI heroes nerf, spell tweaks, autoresolve not punishing high tier low unit count units as much and what not.

If I remember right they have to charge for the Blood and Gore DLC to get around censorship rules in different countries, probably Germany and/or Australia.

Just read through the patch notes. Sounds amazing. Can't wait to continue my VC campaign with the new units. Blood Knights....hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enXNGbj86yc

So yeah Gore DLC is out now, 2,5 euros

Just in time for my Chaos campaign!

I don't mind it being DLC. It likely means they get a lower rating and its only a couple dollars. I just wish sieges looked a little more dynamic and cooler now like they did with Attila and all the burning buildings and so on. Kind of hard to get hyped playing as a roving Chaos horde when most of the settlements you're sacking and razing all look pristine when you're taking them.

Isomac

Here is the DX11 benchmark on 780 SLI:

I can't compare with DX12 since it looks like my card doesn't support it.

I have to say the game seems like it's running smoother for me than before.

ISee

DX12 sucks with the 1080
Driver update inc

It also sucks with the 980... not very surprisingly I guess.

Settings said:

DX11 73.9fps said:

DX12 66.6fps said:

Quick Question:
How do you take screenshots in dx12? I can take them while being in windowed mode, but this locks fps to 60. No idea how to take dx12 screens while in fullscreen.

edit:
Screens with DX12 work in Steam beta for me

k, thx. will try

Drakhoran

Neo Member
DX12 ain't too impressive on AMD hardware either. At least on my aging 7950:

jaqfV1L.jpg

Edit: Neither Fraps nor Steam would take screenshots in DX12 but PrtScn --> Ctrl+V into Paint worked.

blado

Lot of AMD users with newer graphics cards are reporting a pretty good FPS boost on the total war subreddit. Looks like all Nvidia cards see a drop in performance, even on a-sync cards like the 1070 and 1080. Maybe a driver update is needed?

nubbe

Lot of AMD users with newer graphics cards are reporting a pretty good FPS boost on the total war subreddit. Looks like all Nvidia cards see a drop in performance, even on a-sync cards like the 1070 and 1080. Maybe a driver update is needed?

Pascal isn't async
Tom really didn't want to talk about Async on PC Perspective

Bought the blood DLC, I regret nothing.

Yup, I'm about to!

I recently lost my long VC campaign in the switch to a new PC (thought Steam cloud had me covered ;/)

Figured i'd wait to start a new campaign when the blood hit...looks like it's time to jump back in :D

Anno

Man people sure were thirsty for that blood and gore DLC. A $3 add on getting up to fifth highest seller during a summer sale.

Dmax3901

When I saw the ad for this I was like man they're charging for that again?

Then I realised I had over $3 USD in my steam wallet from selling Steam Cards.

Bought.

Rizzi

The benchmark doesn't really seem like an accurate representation of the game's performance. Frame rate still drops to 40 when combat starts for me.

loki0wn

Anyone have recommendations for the VCs? I try to play them, but feel weird with their lack of range units. Usually just a slow mass of zombies/warriors, which can be quite ehh..

Also, I tried to dabble with Chaos and have a really bad time with the horse Marauders as they just run around in circles. What would be a good counter?

Also, does anyone have a good recommended site for strats for all the races? Seems relatively sparse online.

Anyone have recommendations for the VCs? I try to play them, but feel weird with their lack of range units. Usually just a slow mass of zombies/warriors, which can be quite ehh..

Also, I tried to dabble with Chaos and have a really bad time with the horse Marauders as they just run around in circles. What would be a good counter?

Also, does anyone have a good recommended site for strats for all the races? Seems relatively sparse online.

For VC, there two things that you need: speed and magic. Try and use Mannfred and other magic users a lot in the campaign and get some of the flying beast units like the Vargheists and other beast units.

VC are a lot more fun now that I've focused on spreading corruption. Makes locking down provinces much easier, and breaking into neighbouring ones breezier as well. Finally understanding how they fight has also helped a lot.

Of course, I'm failing pretty badly at diplomacy this time around. I managed to antagonise the dwarves and started razing their cities... which led to all of those neighbouring ones confederating. Also pounced on weakly-defended/ruined human provinces, leading to them dislking me and declaring war. It's basically total war in Vampire town, with everyone but the Greenskins hating my guts. (lol wut)

I'm going to try to let Chaos do their thing while I build up my forces. My gambit is that I'll have the forces and lands to crush them when the time is right.

In combat, VC are all about crushing an enemy's morale. Use infantry fodder to entangle the front lines, then use flying units or cavalry/hounds to strike the archers and soldiers from behind. Hold onto spellpower, using a lord's single-target spells to crush enemy lords or their rez abilities to bolster weakened armies.

Gotta be careful about managing your units' morale though, especially for the flanking forces, because once they rout they'll start to crumble and die (permanently) rather than running around the battlefield until their morale returns. Also watch where your lord is because their abilities will be vital in holding everything together. It leads to a lot of micromanagement and hit&run tactics but works very well overall.

The best news for VC is that losses are immaterial. Thanks to their dark magic, they can quickly replenish troops even far into enemy lines--particularly when close to battle markers. So a pyrrhic victory can turn into another front in a single turn, and leads to quick snowballing once an enemy's main force is demolished.

Top Bottom