• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

I really only enjoy Empire. I'm almost finished with my third campaign with them, where I basically auto-resolved every battle. It's fun solving problems with diplomacy. As I try to stay "trustworthy" and deal with cuntish splinter factions I have to stay sharp and make sure I'm not hypocritical.
In my second playthrough I gave up. I was 15 hours into it, it was going well, I had almost wiped out the Vampire Factions and had 1/3 of the map, and then I made the mistake of signing a peace treaty with a human faction I had squared with once before. As I pressed end turn, I went from having 10 allies to having everyone distrust me and declaring war on me. For being a pacifist.

One thing I miss in this game is that the campaigns starting locations is way to samey. Due to Empires position I always have to befriend the dwarfs and do piece-by-piece as I expand slowly with one army. I wish there was a level of randomization on the map creation everytime you started a new campaign so the conditions would always be fresh.

Secondly, the way I progress through the technology trees and talent trees for my general is becoming way to similar. I think most of generals were built and specced the same way, and that killed their sense of uniqueness I think.
I miss the marriages, the family trees and bloodlins from earlier titles. I think tere is something lost that I cannot get a wrench from Britonnia to marry and bed Karl Franz to make new heirs.
And I think the way your generals just can be put back into the game after dying takes away a bit of the gravity of losing them. I just reign franz in a 20/20 into danger, because I know he is back after 5 turns.

I also miss sieges. Sieges as defending the walls really misses. It would be an excellent addition to the main campaign.

The one mechanic I've not liked since Medieval 2 is the agents / heroes. I hate dealing with them. I think their failure chance and the way you micro manage them from faraway distances as they eat up upkeep per turn makes them a pain in the ass. I also hate how they stay in the top of the pane of my armies. I don't like sending a guy to damage a front gate with 33% succes chance or try and assassinate some general. It feels like a gimmick and something that has outstayed its welcome.

I like the followers your generals can gain, and I think they should be active on the battlefield and have agent/hero functions. Like, keep the agents attached as a part of the armies to keep micro management more fun.
At late game stages when Ihave over 50 provinces there is so much to keep track of its just exhausting micro managing the small stuff.

This is a great game. I was one of those who thought this would be unsatisfying like Rome 2, but I am glad I was wrong. The game is beautiful, it is responsive. I stil think Shogun 2 is the smoothest of all of them, and I still think Medieval 2 / Kingdoms is the most epic, but this has been so much fun. And like Xcom 2, I'm seriously like- Just give me more. Just give me more stuff to make me go back and play the campaigns again. New stuff, and stuff that enhances the core game.
This game is also the one to get into if you're new to the series. The AI is so much easier to deal with. I feel in this one, I just start a battle and then I do things adhoc without pausing. I just go between real time and fast forward and the AI does what I want a lot more than in the other games.

What can I say besides that this is a major achievement for British game development? I was really worried that Rome 2 was going to be the cross CA would decide to sellout on. Glad they didn't.

Vigilant Walrus FYI the Beastmen will actually have a different take on campaign starts in the Grand Campaign, with each leader having a different starting situation (Estalia vs. Badlands). But largely they are the same, yeah...

I'm hoping they'll patch in different starts for the other leaders as well. Would give some more life into the Grand Campaign. And I'd love any reason to jump back into it. (along with those Ultimate Victory Conditions.)

What I'd like most in terms of improvements would be AI that better manages its resources in the campaign map. Like, on normal at least, they are highly reactionary and prone to initiating wars that they can't win, or sitting idle when they're outclassed, rather than trying to outmaneuver the enemy with alliances and such. Just, in general, very wasteful actions that lets players very easily steamroll one faction unto the next because they're too busy fighting eachother or doing something completely unrelated and less of a priority.

I guess it needs some kind of "comrade-in-arms" diplomacy buff to represent the threat an aggressive faction represents, beyond just the combat diplo buffs. Like a diplo buff that brings like-minded factions together in alliances when someone is conquering lands they all want, a sort of "mini-Shield of Civilization," pushing them into confederation rather than annihilation. Perhaps a similar buff when a faction begins to become a superpower rivalling everyone else combined, because at that point it truly does become busywork, with too many things to fall back on for lone defeats.

Dmax3901

Holy shit if that amount of detail goes into every expansion... fuck my wallet.

EDIT: Actually the guy playing did a couple of things I'd like to learn how to do.

1. How do you lock formations like that and move them forward as a whole? I remember being able to do it in Shogun II (there was UI buttons for it even), how do you do it in this?

2. At one point he draws what looked like a freeform line to get a unit to move around behind an enemy one.

Klyka

Banned

EDIT: Actually the guy playing did a couple of things I'd like to learn how to do.

1. How do you lock formations like that and move them forward as a whole? I remember being able to do it in Shogun II (there was UI buttons for it even), how do you do it in this?

2. At one point he draws what looked like a freeform line to get a unit to move around behind an enemy one.

I am not sure about the formation,but you can draw the freeform line by holding shift and drawing with your mouse button.

Also GIVE ME BRETONNIA DAMMIT!
And not in a mod

The line tip is great, thanks. I was wondering myself.

For locking formations, it's near the unit cards on the bottom UI somewhere. IIRC, at least.
Also GIVE ME BRETONNIA DAMMIT!
And not in a mod

You're in luck, all signs point to Bretonnia being the free faction.

Klyka

Banned
The line tip is great, thanks. I was wondering myself.

For locking formations, it's near the unit cards on the bottom UI somewhere. IIRC, at least.

You're in luck, all signs point to Bretonnia being the free faction.

My pegasus knights will block out the sun

Fitz

Ctrl + numbers to create typical RTS numbered grouping
Ctrl + G to do the same but also lock formation, can move and attack with locked group without formation loss. Will assign to first free number if used with a group not already assigned

Shift + Right Click to set waypoints
Shift + Right Click drag for a movement line
Alt + Light Click drag to move selected units in current formation
- above then also hold Ctrl to rotate formation, release left click to give the move order

There's also some other fancy commands that I'm not at all familiar with I believe.

Dmax3901

Ctrl + numbers to create typical RTS numbered grouping
Ctrl + G to do the same but also lock formation, can move and attack with locked group without formation loss. Will assign to first free number if used with a group not already assigned

Shift + Right Click to set waypoints
Shift + Right Click drag for a movement line
Alt + Light Click drag to move selected units in current formation
- above then also hold Ctrl to rotate formation, release left click to give the move order

There's also some other fancy commands that I'm not at all familiar with I believe.

Cool, thanks for this!

Lord Phol

This game is getting hammered by negative Steam reviews since the DLC announcment. Lots of people dissapointed and angry at the pricing structure. It's a good way to voice your opinion with such reviews but it also undermines the steam review system and fails to tell if the game is actually good or not. Still not sure what to think myself. The Beastman Campaign might very well be worth the asking price but I also feel like the base game is bit too barebones, and the cost will definetly start to add upp once they release more DLC. I do think the game will benefit greatly with the upcoming additions of races, unites and more. Hope they release some kind of compilation or packs later on, perhaps this is one of the games that would have worked well with a season pass.

Klyka

Banned
Ok I caved and have been trying to Bretonnia via a mod.

They are SO fun. I god damn love charges in this game.
Even your non knight cavalry does awesome charges.
All my generals are build around charge damage.

I CHARGE EVERYTHING FOR THE LADY

karnage10

Banned
i'm sad the way gamers have been complaining about the DLC for this game WHEN they should have known that CA has a 10 year plan for this franchise. That said i hope CA keeps the DLC train going until the next expansion is ready; i want total warhammer to be the biggest total war game to date!

This game is getting hammered by negative Steam reviews since the DLC announcment. Lots of people dissapointed and angry at the pricing structure. It's a good way to voice your opinion with such reviews but it also undermines the steam review system and fails to tell if the game is actually good or not. Still not sure what to think myself. The Beastman Campaign might very well be worth the asking price but I also feel like the base game is bit too barebones, and the cost will definetly start to add upp once they release more DLC. I do think the game will benefit greatly with the upcoming additions of races, unites and more. Hope they release some kind of compilation or packs later on, perhaps this is one of the games that would have worked well with a season pass.

In the past they have usually been part of sales. I think the DLC is kind of expensive but it's still work and time so I don't know why people expect them to be free.

karnage10

Banned
In the past they have usually been part of sales. I think the DLC is kind of expensive but it's still work and time so I don't know why people expect them to be free.

I think (i hope I'll be corrected if anyone knows the main reason) most people don't like paying more then 5-10 USD/euro for a "single" faction, most people prefer paying 30USD and get 3-4 factions. I feel most people prefer large expansions instead of small DLCs (even if the content is similar).
If we for example compare attila (stand-alone expansion to rome 2) to barbarian invasion (expansion to rome 1) a lot of people complained that the expansion was too expensive (which was 10 bucks more then BI), yet in terms of content it had quite a bit more instead of BI, at the start attila had 10 factions (13 if you pre-ordered) all of which were much more complex in both mechanics and rosters then in BI. If you add that attila has much better post launch support which added a few factions has free DLC it makes attila "worth" those 10 bucks.
I think all the complaining is because CA has really bad marketing, they focus on selling the beastmen DLC pack but don't talk about the new free lore of magic and the new hero. I think they should do something like CD project red in which they say we have X FLC coming with around X DLC.

karnage10

Banned
My pegasus knights will block out the sun
Brettonia will probably be released around the end of the year. If i remember correcty there was a leak of the DLC plans (which acording to CA have been changed which i assume it means we increased the DLC to get more money from you warhammer fans), in which bretonia would a FLC for either around or after wood elves have been added; wood elves were suposedly to be DLC 5. Assuming 1 DLC per month bretonia should launch in October, November or December.

Klyka

Banned
I am really surprised how fun the Empire is to play.
I figured they'd feel pretty boring but they actually got tons of fun units to use.

Also,I think Beastmen are going to add a lot to the normal campaign by just being there.
Suddenly getting ambushed by Beastmen as your army moves will be fun

karnage10

Banned
I am really surprised how fun the Empire is to play.
I figured they'd feel pretty boring but they actually got tons of fun units to use.

Also,I think Beastmen are going to add a lot to the normal campaign by just being there.
Suddenly getting ambushed by Beastmen as your army moves will be fun

I feel like every faction is a lot of fun if you like their style. I'm hoping they will change chaos warriors a bit so they don't feel such a slog at the beginning.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Warhammer universe but I've never played a Total War game or similar, I need to look into this a bit more.

karnage10

Banned
I love the Warhammer universe but I've never played a Total War game or similar, I need to look into this a bit more.

I'm a total war player and I know "very" little about warhammer fantasy so i can't comment if it feels like the tabletop. As a total war game it's one of the best CA has ever made.
I'd urge to know that CA intends to make 3 stand alone games of warhammer total war and a boatload of DLC. Those games map will join together if you own more than one game.
In this game the following factions are playable: empire, greenskins, vampire counts and dwarfs, chaos warriors (DLC), beastmen (DLC) and bretonnia (limited roster, need mods but it will be free later).

mkenyon

Banned
Any advice for a Total War 'noob'?
Tie up expensive units with throwaway units.

Use calvary for hit and run, as in, charge in, then head out, then charge back in. Only charge to the rear or flank.

Tie up their infantry with your infantry, and do so in a way that provides you with better access to their flanks.

Dipper145

Any advice for a Total War 'noob'?

Be considerably gorkier (or morkier).

Really though, just a line of infantry with archers behind it, and cavalry that runs around and flanks / takes out their archers. Use artillery to force the enemy to move to you and attack you, keep a unit (or two) of strong vs large infantry with artillery to protect them from enemy cavalry. Move your stuff up around the sides and behind the enemy as stuff dies. Try out the other races so you learn more about their units and how to best combat them.

Pause in battles if controlling stuff a lot of stuff is too overwhelming.

Baalzebup

Question time:

I've finally started to muck about with Chaos (on Hard) and I was lost for quite some time. I have managed to get things up to speed and am currently not under any massive threat of being wiped in two turns, but there is one thing I can't quite figure out. Kholek got assassinated and I just went 'meh' and replaced him with Sigwald, expecting to replace him with Kholek again when he got his shit fixed. But can I actually replace him without completely losing the progress on my second horde or hoping that Sigvald gets repeat treatment from some stab-happy assassin? I really don't fancy starting a 3rd horde, except if it is a very temporary solution.

Question time:

I've finally started to muck about with Chaos (on Hard) and I was lost for quite some time. I have managed to get things up to speed and am currently not under any massive threat of being wiped in two turns, but there is one thing I can't quite figure out. Kholek got assassinated and I just went 'meh' and replaced him with Sigwald, expecting to replace him with Kholek again when he got his shit fixed. But can I actually replace him without completely losing the progress on my second horde or hoping that Sigvald gets repeat treatment from some stab-happy assassin? I really don't fancy starting a 3rd horde, except if it is a very temporary solution.

I think you'll have to trade troops. Just leave Sigvald in a city without troops, or with few troops.

Baalzebup

I think you'll have to trade troops. Just leave Sigvald in a city without troops, or with few troops.

Lol, Chaos has no cities and each horde has its own infrastructure. You can trade units, but the infrastructure is specific for any particular horde and as you cannot dismiss the Legendary Lords... well.

I'm well familiar with how it would work with any other race, but Horde races do not work the same.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gettin psyched for the Beastmen, but does anyone know if the steeper price is going to be this way with most DLC races or just because this one includes a new map?

Klyka

Banned
Lol, Chaos has no cities and each horde has its own infrastructure. You can trade units, but the infrastructure is specific for any particular horde and as you cannot dismiss the Legendary Lords... well.

I'm well familiar with how it would work with any other race, but Horde races do not work the same.

You can change him. Open his equipment menu and in the bottom right is a button to change army general

Baalzebup

You can change him. Open his equipment menu and in the bottom right is a button to change army general

Brilliant! Thank you.

My god, went through an entire Chaos campaign and I never knew this.

Could you do this with the Huns in Atilla as well?

See, I knew it should be possible as I had seen the AI Chaos do it all the time when I went on an assassination spree on their Lords, but I had no idea how it might be done.

Baalzebup

Jesus. The auto-resolve really loves Empire artillery, the Hellblaster Volley guns in particular. Any auto-resolve involving them is hilariously skewed and even when you have a distinct advantage, one can expect heavy casualties. The different between auto-resolve and actually taking command of the fight is night and day

Aaaand in other news, I now control a Kholek Suneater with Ward save 80%, Physical resistance 10% and missile resistance 35%. He also packs a Healing potion. I guess I have to see what kind of things the dude can tank now.

karnage10

Banned
Jesus. The auto-resolve really loves Empire artillery, the Hellblaster Volley guns in particular. Any auto-resolve involving them is hilariously skewed and even when you have a distinct advantage, one can expect heavy casualties. The different between auto-resolve and actually taking command of the fight is night and day

Aaaand in other news, I now control a Kholek Suneater with Ward save 80%, Physical resistance 10% and missile resistance 35%. He also packs a Healing potion. I guess I have to see what kind of things the dude can tank now.
I enjoyed kholek a lot because of how fast he moves and how quickly he massacres the enemy troops. With that much ward save he's basically imortal

Top Bottom