• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Klyka

Banned
Is the Eye for an Eye campaign geographically different from the Standard Campaign (more landmass)? Or is it just different enemy placements, new story stuff and things like that?

It's a part of the grand campaign map zoomed in with way more cities and detail and such.

Also I think he was referring to you getting an entire new world map and campaign when you play Total Warhammer compared to any other Total War game seeing how they are all set on Earth.

Lord Phol

It's a part of the grand campaign map zoomed in with way more cities and detail and such.

Also I think he was referring to you getting an entire new world map and campaign when you play Total Warhammer compared to any other Total War game seeing how they are all set on Earth.

Ah ok, that actually sounds pretty good.

mjc

Has anyone else been having problems with crashes recently? I'm like 15 turns into a Dwarven campaign and it's crashed twice on me, my laptop has to reboot itself from a blue screen error.

Has anyone else been having problems with crashes recently? I'm like 15 turns into a Dwarven campaign and it's crashed twice on me, my laptop has to reboot itself from a blue screen error.

Not the vanilla game, caused by mods probably

Only the process though,never a blues screen

Beastmen are amazing. Really fun and feel quite OP.

I don't quite have it down pat to organizing two armies though and still keeping a decent profit per turn but they are powerful, marauding and quite fun.

It's a bit of a shame that by comparison Chaos feel so disappointing to play, but maybe I've just not "cracked" them yet.

Klyka

Banned
Overcasted Devolve is completely overpowered. Literally kills Greatsword infantry in two casts.

Minotaurs are crazy strong, the AI can't really counter them D:

I bought Chaos. I don't regret it.

That human lord sucks though. You never want to see quests where he talks. Such ceaseless, simmering sentences.

Also, the bonus campaign has improved victory objectives. Instead of short vs. long (with the main difference being time, not difficulty per se) it has Supreme and Ultimate, which require much more planning to achieve; for example, Ultimate requires confederation with two other herds.

It's really cool.

Baalzebup

I bought Chaos. I don't regret it.

That human lord sucks though. You never want to see quests where he talks. Such ceaseless, simmering sentences.

Haha, I actually enjoyed Sigvald since you don't really have to tolerate his antics all that much. The rhyming in the first mission were funny in a way, and the written story bits of the Auric armor were amusing as well. Dude wanted the armor to look good and smell like roses and didn't give a rats ass about its protective qualities.

Klyka

Banned
CotA_3QVMAAvdu2.jpg:large

It was in this very moment that Fritz knew he should have listened to his father and taken over the baker's shop.

It was in this very moment that Fritz knew he should have listened to his father and taken over the baker's shop.

LOL

I just found out that my laptop will actually be able to run this (albeit only just; GT750M still hanging in there!), so I'm looking forward to snagging it come payday. So many great impressions, can't wait to dig into it!

Palmer_v1

Just about done with a Beastmen campaign on hard. I had already played their mini-campaign on Hard as well. It's been a strange campaign.

I started as Malagor, which was actually kind of annoying, cause that area is so spread out, it made it hard to raze any cities for a while, and Greenskins love to stay just out of attack range. I went up the coast line then hopped over to the Border Princes area.

I recruited Kazrak pretty quickly, and he and another general went South to continue clearing out Estalia and Tilea, while Malagor went north to finish the Border Princes, who had somehow taken land way up by the Vampires. Malagor then stayed north of the mountain ranges, attacking targets of opportunity for the next 150 turns or so.

Meanwhile, Kazrak and my other dude are having a hell of a time against the southern provinces. It seemed like every Brayherd was immediately destroyed, and I never saw a city without walls and a full stack defending it. I eventually baited them out of their cities where I could ambush them, and slowly pushed north so that I was near the other vampires, and bretonnia.

By this point, the main Dwarf faction and Undead factions have died, without me ever touching them. Malagor has been fighting fighting his way through the secondary Empire kingdoms, mostly following whatever quests I had. Kazrak and company are wiping out the other undead faction, and realizing I need to go to war with the Bretonnians soon. Turns out the Empire has been fighting with them, and the Bretonnians are down to just their capital city.

I start actively pushing to reconnect all 3 of my armies, dealing with some Dwarf sub-factions at the same time, then begin crushing Empire cities all over the place. By now, the Chaos invasion is in full swing. Malagor had wiped out everything to the north/northwest, and Chaos quickly destroyed Kislev and everything else in that direction. By the time I was done with Altdorf, Archaon was south of me, clearing some Dwarves who I had never gone to war with.

I won the short campaign victory there, and the only thing I was lacking for the major campaign was a lot more city razing. I think I needed another 20 cities. The only things left at this point are a few Dwarf settlements, some Bretonnian subfactions, and a TON of Greenskins. They were #1 strength ranking for most of this campaign, in fact. That's all I'm done now, is just mopping them up, but they're regularly sending 3-4 full stacks plus Waaghs at me near Akendorf. If I didn't have lightning strike, I'd probably be hosed.

For mainline infantry, Bestigors seem like the best choice unless you're aiming for trickery, and I typically used other unit tyes for that. I used Ungor Raiders early on as well, but it just seems like they never get better. I think you have 1 buff to their damage in the entire tech tree, while a multitude of melee buffs exist. I ended up replacing almost all of them with Warhounds, Cygors, or Razor boards.

Poison Warhounds were my choice for flanking artillery or ranged heavy armies. One army had 3 of them, and the other two had 1 each. Chaos Spawn were good early on, but I think they get outclassed by the Minotaurs. Like Chaos Spawn are good as a second wave to mop up engaged enemies, while Minotaurs could be the front line themselves if I needed.

I didn't explore the Centigor path at all, unfortunately, so I'm not sure how useful they are.

Razor boars(forget the proper name), were solid, but kinda seemed similar to chaos spawn. I treated them more like cavalry and generally used them to flank with the poison warhounds. I mostly ignored the razor chariots. I always find chariots underwhelming and finicky.

Minotaurs are obviously pretty good. I often forgot how damn fast they are. Pretty sure they're able to chase down cavalry from some of the other factions. Just alternate between Great Weapons and Shields depending on what you want them to do.

The Gorebull Hero is crazy good. I would put one in every army. He's a killing machine on his own, but he also comes with a suite of great army buffs.

The Shaman heros are also useful. I had Malagor and a Shaman summoning two Cygors into every battle. The shaman that can summon a manticore was also handy. It always seemed to have morale issues, but there were definitely times a flying monster was helpful. The other spells I didn't use as often. Typically I'd cast Devolve into large clusters as often as I could. Slowly whittled them down if my troops were struggling. Lost usefulness as the game went on.

Cygors are weird. They're much more swingy than other artillery. Like dwarf cannons, you can expect each salvo to do some damage, but it's rarely going to hit or miss with every shot. The Cygor is just throwing one giant boulder though, so when it hits, it really fucks up a unit, but it can also miss and accomplish nothing. They are more forgiving on placement, since their height allows them to throw over obstructions easily. They're also much better in melee than any other artillery. They're not as killy as a Giant, but they seem to survive longer, and have less morale issues. I used summoned Cygors to blunt charges a few different times. For ranged options, they just outclass Raiders in every way, IMO.

Giants are giants. I never recruited one, but Malagor started with one that never died. Beastmen have a lot of morale bonuses that kept it in the fight longer than normal, but overall, it's just more anti-infantry in a faction that already has a ton of anti-infantry.

So overall, I'd put a Gorebull and Shaman in every army, backed up by 6 or so Bestigor units, 4 Minotaur/Chaos Spawn, 4 Cygors, and fill in the rest with flanking units.

mjc

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong gameplay wise...but I feel lost. This is my first Total War game, so I decided to start with the Dwarven campaign. I make it about 60 turns in, have about seven or eight settlements, 4 or 5 standing armies, but then it all falls apart when waaghs from the Greenskins come trampling through.

I've tried different tactics for technology researching, I've tried expanding in a different direction, I've tried leveling less armies so the ones I have are buffer from experience...but it doesn't cut it. Any general tips?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong gameplay wise...but I feel lost. This is my first Total War game, so I decided to start with the Dwarven campaign. I make it about 60 turns in, have about seven or eight settlements, 4 or 5 standing armies, but then it all falls apart when waaghs from the Greenskins come trampling through.

I've tried different tactics for technology researching, I've tried expanding in a different direction, I've tried leveling less armies so the ones I have are buffer from experience...but it doesn't cut it. Any general tips?

Are you building any defense buildings?

mjc

In some of my settlements, yeah. But the problem I'm facing is that no matter what I do tech wise or anything, my armies just get flatlined by waaghs at about turn 60. The most advanced unit I can recruit is the upgraded infantry. No copters or anything.

Palmer_v1

This is a good question.

Are you losing battles you shouldn't be, or just getting out-maneuvered on the campaign map?

Are you getting into wars with anyone else while the Greenskins build up?

Also, just in general, 4 or 5 armies for only 6 or 7 settlements is overkill. You're probably losing a lot of money to upkeep that could instead be going to defensive buildings and/or better troops.

I usually keep 1 army guarding the starting province until they're built up a bit, then send that army north, while I recruit a second army to guard the starting province. Once they take that one northern city on the edge of the map, I build that place up defensively so that I no longer have to worry about anything to the north. Then I send both armies to start clearing some of the greenskins to the south, while probably recruiting a third to watch for anyone sneaking past them.

Baalzebup

In some of my settlements, yeah. But the problem I'm facing is that no matter what I do tech wise or anything, my armies just get flatlined by waaghs at about turn 60. The most advanced unit I can recruit is the upgraded infantry. No copters or anything.

Surgical strikes using Lightning Strike are your friends. If you snipe the parent army, the supporting WAAAAGH one will melt away by itself.

I would say get rid of two armies that you have and use them to get better units. The copters are a great unit to have for going behind enemy lines.

Klyka

Banned
Dwarves versus Greenskins (or almost everything really) is all about the amazing Dwarf ranged units focus firing down the enemy while the high armoured, high leadership dwarven infantry holds the enemy away from them.

Quarrelers are AMAZING versus greenskins. 5 units of quarrelers focus firing a single orc unit will break their morale after usually 2 volleys. Then you focus the next etc etc.

Also,don't be shy to let your quarrelers shoot into melee. your units are super high armor, they barely take friendly fire while almost every orc unit will melt.

Palmer_v1

What's key to maintaining multiple horde armies? I can't seem to be able to comfortable swinging it with my finances.

With Beastmen, every Lord takes the first two skills on the bottom tree. -15% upkeep, and +15% to raiding, I think. I also built the buildings that reduce growth by 5, but decrease upkeep by 50%. Basically got to a point where having all armies in Raiding stance was profitable.

Otherwise, keep moving. Always take money for razing.

mjc

I would say get rid of two armies that you have and use them to get better units. The copters are a great unit to have for going behind enemy lines.

Dwarves versus Greenskins (or almost everything really) is all about the amazing Dwarf ranged units focus firing down the enemy while the high armoured, high leadership dwarven infantry holds the enemy away from them.

Quarrelers are AMAZING versus greenskins. 5 units of quarrelers focus firing a single orc unit will break their morale after usually 2 volleys. Then you focus the next etc etc.

Also,don't be shy to let your quarrelers shoot into melee. your units are super high armor, they barely take friendly fire while almost every orc unit will melt.

Gotcha, thanks for the tips!

Are you guys playing with mods or without? Already played through 3 campaigns without mods (just the autoresolve balancer) and am curious if there are any mandatory mods right now?

Klyka

Banned
Are you guys playing with mods or without? Already played through 3 campaigns without mods (just the autoresolve balancer) and am curious if there are any mandatory mods right now?

I use a couple of graphical mods for like added variety and I use the +10% home region mod cause I am sick of chasing uncatcheable AI armies.

Just about done with a Beastmen campaign on hard. I had already played their mini-campaign on Hard as well. It's been a strange campaign.

I started as Malagor, which was actually kind of annoying, cause that area is so spread out, it made it hard to raze any cities for a while, and Greenskins love to stay just out of attack range. I went up the coast line then hopped over to the Border Princes area.

I recruited Kazrak pretty quickly, and he and another general went South to continue clearing out Estalia and Tilea, while Malagor went north to finish the Border Princes, who had somehow taken land way up by the Vampires. Malagor then stayed north of the mountain ranges, attacking targets of opportunity for the next 150 turns or so.

Meanwhile, Kazrak and my other dude are having a hell of a time against the southern provinces. It seemed like every Brayherd was immediately destroyed, and I never saw a city without walls and a full stack defending it. I eventually baited them out of their cities where I could ambush them, and slowly pushed north so that I was near the other vampires, and bretonnia.

By this point, the main Dwarf faction and Undead factions have died, without me ever touching them. Malagor has been fighting fighting his way through the secondary Empire kingdoms, mostly following whatever quests I had. Kazrak and company are wiping out the other undead faction, and realizing I need to go to war with the Bretonnians soon. Turns out the Empire has been fighting with them, and the Bretonnians are down to just their capital city.

I start actively pushing to reconnect all 3 of my armies, dealing with some Dwarf sub-factions at the same time, then begin crushing Empire cities all over the place. By now, the Chaos invasion is in full swing. Malagor had wiped out everything to the north/northwest, and Chaos quickly destroyed Kislev and everything else in that direction. By the time I was done with Altdorf, Archaon was south of me, clearing some Dwarves who I had never gone to war with.

I won the short campaign victory there, and the only thing I was lacking for the major campaign was a lot more city razing. I think I needed another 20 cities. The only things left at this point are a few Dwarf settlements, some Bretonnian subfactions, and a TON of Greenskins. They were #1 strength ranking for most of this campaign, in fact. That's all I'm done now, is just mopping them up, but they're regularly sending 3-4 full stacks plus Waaghs at me near Akendorf. If I didn't have lightning strike, I'd probably be hosed.

For mainline infantry, Bestigors seem like the best choice unless you're aiming for trickery, and I typically used other unit tyes for that. I used Ungor Raiders early on as well, but it just seems like they never get better. I think you have 1 buff to their damage in the entire tech tree, while a multitude of melee buffs exist. I ended up replacing almost all of them with Warhounds, Cygors, or Razor boards.

Poison Warhounds were my choice for flanking artillery or ranged heavy armies. One army had 3 of them, and the other two had 1 each. Chaos Spawn were good early on, but I think they get outclassed by the Minotaurs. Like Chaos Spawn are good as a second wave to mop up engaged enemies, while Minotaurs could be the front line themselves if I needed.

I didn't explore the Centigor path at all, unfortunately, so I'm not sure how useful they are.

Razor boars(forget the proper name), were solid, but kinda seemed similar to chaos spawn. I treated them more like cavalry and generally used them to flank with the poison warhounds. I mostly ignored the razor chariots. I always find chariots underwhelming and finicky.

Minotaurs are obviously pretty good. I often forgot how damn fast they are. Pretty sure they're able to chase down cavalry from some of the other factions. Just alternate between Great Weapons and Shields depending on what you want them to do.

The Gorebull Hero is crazy good. I would put one in every army. He's a killing machine on his own, but he also comes with a suite of great army buffs.

The Shaman heros are also useful. I had Malagor and a Shaman summoning two Cygors into every battle. The shaman that can summon a manticore was also handy. It always seemed to have morale issues, but there were definitely times a flying monster was helpful. The other spells I didn't use as often. Typically I'd cast Devolve into large clusters as often as I could. Slowly whittled them down if my troops were struggling. Lost usefulness as the game went on.

Cygors are weird. They're much more swingy than other artillery. Like dwarf cannons, you can expect each salvo to do some damage, but it's rarely going to hit or miss with every shot. The Cygor is just throwing one giant boulder though, so when it hits, it really fucks up a unit, but it can also miss and accomplish nothing. They are more forgiving on placement, since their height allows them to throw over obstructions easily. They're also much better in melee than any other artillery. They're not as killy as a Giant, but they seem to survive longer, and have less morale issues. I used summoned Cygors to blunt charges a few different times. For ranged options, they just outclass Raiders in every way, IMO.

Giants are giants. I never recruited one, but Malagor started with one that never died. Beastmen have a lot of morale bonuses that kept it in the fight longer than normal, but overall, it's just more anti-infantry in a faction that already has a ton of anti-infantry.

So overall, I'd put a Gorebull and Shaman in every army, backed up by 6 or so Bestigor units, 4 Minotaur/Chaos Spawn, 4 Cygors, and fill in the rest with flanking units.

Great writeup!

karnage10

Banned

I've tried different tactics for technology researching, I've tried expanding in a different direction, I've tried levelling less armies so the ones I have are buffer from experience...but it doesn't cut it. Any general tips?
First i want to say i play on hard so i'm not so sure if this applies to harder difficulties i also only played with dwarves at release so i have no idea if the patches change the way to play them.
Campaignwise my plan is to secure the main province of the capital and then move quickly to take the north east province, at the same time i try to get zhubar to a non aggression pack. The new province will be a military province which i focus on making armies. The capital province is mainly for making money. I almost always focus on smaller cities first because if they are at level 3 you can build walls on them. Having the smaller settlement with walls has 2 benefits- 1) the enemy will (normally) take a few turns to attack them which might give you enough time to bring reinforcements; 2) if the enemy fight you in a defensive battle you can inflict heavy casualties making them unlikely to push for more territory for a few turns.
This will let you secure your north flank so you can focus on the orks down south. At this point you should decide in either go west to try and get a port city (this will allow you to trade with more factions and get much more money) or push against the greenskin capital if it isn't defended.

Battlewise the dwarfs have 1 weakness, they will be flanked because of the slow mobility; I normally deply my troops in 3 "lines",1st line is composed with infantry shields and canon artillery, the 2nd line has quarrellers, rock lobbers and X groups of heavy damage infantry (like hammerers or longbeards with greatweapons) where X is the amount of canon artillery these damage dealers will stand behind the canons and charge when the canons are going to be atacked, the 3rd line is made by the lord and heroes + anti large units + damage dealers.
Once battle starts i use the 1st line to make a "wall" which will pin the enemy down, the 2nd line will focus on enemy "key" troops and the enemy skirmishers, The 3rd line is supposed to stop the enemy flanking force by making the enemy commit their strongest troops against your strongest (which you should win since you have better damage dealers) once the flanking move is weakened or destroyed these troops flank the enemy and rout them.

Good write-up on the Beastmen, Palmer_v1! I agree with a lot of it so far, midway through my Beastmen Grand Campaign.

With both Chaos and Beastmen, my poor stacks always have the worst infrastructure. By the late-game I might have three unit-building structures, but for most of the game I have 2, which leads to huge unit variety issues. How do y'all do it?

Alright, the Dwarves are the only faction I haven't tried, but some general tips:
  • An easy mistake to make is fielding too many armies. It raises the cost of unit upkeep, plus the units it is hosting, and will only work to drain your economy and ruin your infrastructure. I know it'll feel like you need one on every corner of your empire, but it's really about managing your enemies so that you only have one or two fronts at a time, a manageable number that will let your wealth accumulate for expensive buildings.
  • Greenskins. They are a tough enemy with powerful units... but their morale is garbage and most of their troops are fodder, which makes them prone to routing. Flank or focus their units and suddenly their numbers matter little. Just watch out for their War Bosses, who are terrors on the battlefield. And yeah, Lightning Strike vs. a Waaagh's host would be an ideal way to fight them.
  • Trade. Diplomacy and trade are a key part of enemy management and wealth accumulation. Most factions have trade resources that are essentially free money for both parties, so it is a good idea to ally up with nearby, likeminded factions that you have no strategic interest in for that phat trade wealth and, perhaps later, an alliance. Just keep in mind that diplomacy starts slow--you'll need a positive opinion before they take you seriously. Oh, and fellow allied Dwarves may confederate (i.e. merge with your empire) when they're weak and you're not, which can be a huge boon.
  • Lastly, the Chaos invasion. For Chaos, you'll need to think long-term; what empires make good buffers to slow them down, and what plan of attack will you have to weaken (and eventually defeat) the 4-ish stacks of their main invasion force. Don't rely on other factions to help you, because they'll generally be busy with other stuff--it's something you'll need to do yourself. When Archaeon arrives, you will be better off setting local conflicts aside for later and taking him out before he reaches your lands, and especially before he gains power.

Palmer_v1

Oh, some things I forgot to mention in my Beastmen write up!

Brayherds are not quite as useful as Waagh's. For one, they don't seem to take advantage of stances to hide/ambush as well as the player. I've seen them encamp, but it's impossible to tell if they ever ambush when they have an army as their target. Two, because you're not holding territory, they don't automatically heal, meaning they lose effectiveness. I kept ending up with like a stack of 6 people in a brayherd, and I'd send them off to suicide just so I could get a new brayherd. Third issue is you don't get the razing rewards when they take a city, and that's your lifeblood. I ended up ignoring their existence almost entirely because of that. Basically only used them to reinforce me for sieges.

Also, healing! Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Chaos replenished in provinces that were over 50% corrupted. Beastmen don't. You either have to be in your encampment stance, which is a fairly minimlar replenishment, or hope that the next moon phase gives you a useful healing bonus, which is in effect regardless of what stance you're in, but for only 2-3 turns at most. Unfortunately, it also comes with a -20 growth every time. Even so, it's the moon choice I made most often. Altogether, it meant that I was doing a lot of 3/4 moves with an encamp, and rarely fought at full strength. There were a lot of times after a tough battle that I would retreat to a corner of an occupied province and raid for multiple turns, while I waited for the moon to switch again.

I'm pretty sure I never took the options that increased recruitment costs or upkeep, since money was usually an issue. Went back and forth between healing, campaign movement bonuses, growth bonuses, and combat bonuses.

Oh, some things I forgot to mention in my Beastmen write up!

Brayherds are not quite as useful as Waagh's. For one, they don't seem to take advantage of stances to hide/ambush as well as the player. I've seen them encamp, but it's impossible to tell if they ever ambush when they have an army as their target. Two, because you're not holding territory, they don't automatically heal, meaning they lose effectiveness. I kept ending up with like a stack of 6 people in a brayherd, and I'd send them off to suicide just so I could get a new brayherd. Third issue is you don't get the razing rewards when they take a city, and that's your lifeblood. I ended up ignoring their existence almost entirely because of that. Basically only used them to reinforce me for sieges.

Also, healing! Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Chaos replenished in provinces that were over 50% corrupted. Beastmen don't. You either have to be in your encampment stance, which is a fairly minimlar replenishment, or hope that the next moon phase gives you a useful healing bonus, which is in effect regardless of what stance you're in, but for only 2-3 turns at most. Unfortunately, it also comes with a -20 growth every time. Even so, it's the moon choice I made most often. Altogether, it meant that I was doing a lot of 3/4 moves with an encamp, and rarely fought at full strength. There were a lot of times after a tough battle that I would retreat to a corner of an occupied province and raid for multiple turns, while I waited for the moon to switch again.

I'm pretty sure I never took the options that increased recruitment costs or upkeep, since money was usually an issue. Went back and forth between healing, campaign movement bonuses, growth bonuses, and combat bonuses.

That's what I've found myself doing. I have a problem with my brayherd abandoning me and declaring war lol. The battle sucked because I couldn't tell from a glance which units were mine vs. there's. They still had the flag that was like a tiny version of mine. Made the micro hell.

Palmer_v1

Good write-up on the Beastmen, Palmer_v1! I agree with a lot of it so far, midway through my Beastmen Grand Campaign.

With both Chaos and Beastmen, my poor stacks always have the worst infrastructure. By the late-game I might have three unit-building structures, but for most of the game I have 2, which leads to huge unit variety issues. How do y'all do it?

My first two beastmen armies went deep in the bottom tree for +9 growth, +15% raiding, and -15% upkeep. I knew from the mini-campaign that Kazrak was going to need warhounds for his quest, so for most of the game, he had access to those two unit trees, plus a manticore from a shaman. Malagor only had the main infantry and minotaurs for most of his campaign, though he was summoning cygors pretty quickly too. My third guy was my shaman summoner, so he had cygor access, and razor boars eventually. Everyone took the buildings from that third branch, for army buffs and upkeep reduction.

So typically, I only had access to two recruitment branches, and used heroes to summon a third.

For Chaos, I feel like I was screwing around with it and almost deliberately spamming 1 unit type per army. kholek was all dragon ogres, archaon was all chosen. Sigvald might have been the only balanced one.

That's what I've found myself doing. I have a problem with my brayherd abandoning me and declaring war lol. The battle sucked because I couldn't tell from a glance which units were mine vs. there's. They still had the flag that was like a tiny version of mine. Made the micro hell.

A lot of factions declared war on my brayherds instead of me directly. Felt very passive aggressive. I never had one turn on me though.

I also never really saw any neutral Beastmen armies. They seemed to get destroyed before I ever got near them. I don't think I opened diplomacy up for anything except to see what Strength rankings were, or to tell the vampires to fuck off when they kept begging for peace.

I should invest in the bottom tree more. Got the upkeep reduction, but not raiding bonus. With Chaos, I never had a favour issue because of all the razing bonuses in their tech trees; I constantly had 10+ turns of favour to buoy my conquests on... whereas with Beastmen, I'm generally 5 or less turns now, with my 3rd army in tow.

Actually, if I don't turn things around I may end up bankrupt...

And yeah, brayherds are best for busting tough provincial capitals. I'd never use them to actually conquer cities though--like you say, favour is too precious.

I didn't even realise that Brayherds had diplomatic capacity.... although it explains why the VCs like me for breaking treaties with my Brayherds (which I guess means losing enough units to disband them / losing the moo juice / killing them because, dammit, there's five units in there now.)

Beastmen neutrals are around, but get annihilated quickly. I've confederated with two that die the very turn we merge. They probably never recover after a first defeat, due to how rare replenishment is and how limited recruting can be.

If they're counted as a separate faction, I guess it all goes to them. Doesn't really make a lot of sense though, considering that they're supposed to be the same faction as the host.

Waaaghs I could understand more; Orcs are kinda unruly. But Beastmen are one!

Maybe it is something CA will patch later on.
Yeah, I wonder if it's something that can be fixed? How do Waagh's handle it? I thought you just got all of the choices afterwards.

At the time, I figured it would work that way because I was participating... but alas, no.

Upkeep and raiding are the two things you need to work on when starting a Beastmen campaign.

Have to be like liquid on harder campaigns. Setting up zones of influences with corruption. Raiding, slipping your pursuers while they take attrition losses and ambushing their weak armies. It's rough sometimes as you get alot of enemies, but oh so rewarding when you turn the tide. I love it.

But yea, Raiding is your essential form of cost management outside of Razing for some Cushion. It really helps later when your horde gets the massive upkeep reduction settlement options, but it can be slow going at first and requires fairly consistent raiding or sacking. But I'd also recommend to new people taking the bottom tree evil upgrades on your leaders to reduce upkeep.

Klyka

Banned
The beastman ambush is one of the strongest things in the game. Especially since you can attack and retreat and attack again until you get it if you have enough movement.

Klyka

Banned
So I am getting closer to finishing my Eye for an Eye campaign that I have been streaming.
Been naming units after viewers and such.
If people are interested in checking it out, here is the playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkiUfT_3_4AnYINuz83rFbIq8NKlyhfCK

I focus on Minotaurs and infantry and have been foregoing magic entirely cause I did not want to be tempted by the broken devolve spell.

Also

If Blorg said one more god damn word, Glarb was gonna turn this chariot right the fuck around

Top Bottom