• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Palmer_v1

The beastman ambush is one of the strongest things in the game. Especially since you can attack and retreat and attack again until you get it if you have enough movement.

Ah, I never tried that. I'd usually send one force, and if they failed to ambush, I'd send a second force, than the third if they were around.

I try to avoid kind of abuse since the game is kinda easy anyway. The only time i save scum is when I think my movement is enough to attack something, but I fail to reach it for some mysterious reason.

The beastman ambush is one of the strongest things in the game. Especially since you can attack and retreat and attack again until you get it if you have enough movement.

I'll need to work on this. I haven't got a good handle on everything you can do with the beastmen yet.

I just finished the Short Campaign on Vampire Counts. The Greenskins finally declared war on me and poured out of the mountains. Fought them off in a couple massive battles though. Like multiple max unit armies on each side. Probably at least 4 for each. Wounded Grimgor and broke the Waagh sending them scurrying back to their holes then I took over the last region I needed for a victory. Almost 400 turns lol but I was satisfied with taking out the Empire. Now time to focus on the beastmen!

What do you mean small? Got a screenshot? It not like a full screen thing. I think it's smaller than other launchers like the League of Legends one or Battle Net.

Stevey

Some of the words are cut off.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736472051
Here is what I'm talking about.

Strange.

Mine looks like this
ETgBVrJ.png

Just noticed that youve launched that through Rome II, is it the same launching Warhammer through steam?

Baalzebup

Strange.

Mine looks like this
ETgBVrJ.png

Just noticed that youve launched that through Rome II, is it the same launching Warhammer through steam?
It happens to all of them.

The proportions of different parts seem all ok barring the right hand side on the middle. Its like both the size of the red buttons and the font used for their text is all fucked up. Definitely not normal. It is even missing the DirectX prompt portion altogether.

I tried to look for a way to fix it but I see nothing like what I'm facing.

karnage10

Banned
in my lastest empire game the greenskins have almost wiped the dwarves out, i'm actually sending troops to try and help the dwarves so that the greenskins don't attack me. they are worse then the norseman

in my lastest empire game the greenskins have almost wiped the dwarves out, i'm actually sending troops to try and help the dwarves so that the greenskins don't attack me. they are worse then the norseman

I've never once seen the Greenskins do anything less than hit #1 strength and conquer everything in their corner... and then become completely irrelevant because they struggle to do anything in human/VC lands. The VC in particular are a dead stop for them, since they lose nearly everything to attrition before getting smacked down by a full stack. It's kinda sad.

Gonna be fun in my Dwarf campaign, though. Oh, yes.

I've never once seen the Greenskins do anything less than hit #1 strength and conquer everything in their corner... and then become completely irrelevant because they struggle to do anything in human/VC lands. The VC in particular are a dead stop for them, since they lose nearly everything to attrition before getting smacked down by a full stack. It's kinda sad.

You have to have to defeat them early on in battles to stop waaghs. You have to be aggressive.

Lightning strike it is, then.

Although all I really want from my lords and heroes is combat spec--for them to roll into a blob and come out winning...

True it is strange though that I never see them spread north, they just can't because of the VC. Although the under-networks should stop that if they use them.

True it is strange though that I never see them spread north, they just can't because of the VC. Although the under-networks should stop that if they use them.

Ugh... Anyone using the tunnels near Schwartzkapf or w/e are real monsters. Land units simply cannot keep up unless they intercept due to that horrible river/swamp/forest/mountain combo that's going on nearby.

In my VC game, that was the one time the Greenskins caused a lot of problems. It wasn't even a full stack or anything--I simply couldn't catch them before they did stuff, and could only afford to have one army in that area. It was a messy couple dozen turns...

Fitz

The Greenskins have been a joke in my current Dwarf campaign, just hordes of unarmoured targets for my troops to wipe the floor with. Its now that I'm fighting Chaos that anything is giving me trouble, just a few Chosen with armour-piercing weapons and Kholek Suneater caused me a lot of trouble. Rapidly trying to get some armour-piercing units onto the field before Chaos are done with the humans.

karnage10

Banned

The problem as empire faction you have to eliminate the VC which means you are on the borders of greenskin territory. I'm hopping 1 or 2 armies can raze enough greenskin cities so that their armies don't keep fighting dwarves and allows the dwaves to reconquer enough land to survive. I'd prefer to have dwarves as a buffer between me and the greenskins in the badlands.

On the another hand this campaign has a bug where archeon didn't spawn. I'm installing the beta fix in hopes it fixes it.

Baalzebup

I've never seen the Dwarves conquer the Greenskins on their own. It feels like they never confederate either.

My Chaos campaign had the main Dwarf faction end up as the clear #1 power with completely cleansed Badlands before I got around to go and kick their shit around for a bit. The only remaining Orc presence is those re-spawning Savage Orc tribes.

I got the achievement for beating the Beast men grand campaign on very hard or legendary while in the middle of my Eye for an Eye campaign. Just popped up out of no where.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I got the achievement for beating the Beast men grand campaign on very hard or legendary while in the middle of my Eye for an Eye campaign. Just popped up out of no where.

I got mine in like, Turn 2 of the regular campaign

I ain't complaining, lol

Icefire1424

Just chiming in to say you've all convinced me that I need to pick up this game. A couple months late yea, but gaming time is limited with a two year old at home. Anyways, I'm playing bachelor for about a week starting next week, so I figured this game would be a perfect way to spend my time. Just hoping I can get through an Empire campaign in a few days.

Stevey

Just chiming in to say you've all convinced me that I need to pick up this game. A couple months late yea, but gaming time is limited with a two year old at home. Anyways, I'm playing bachelor for about a week starting next week, so I figured this game would be a perfect way to spend my time. Just hoping I can get through an Empire campaign in a few days.

My first campaign took like 16 hours so you should be fine.

The final battle quest as Beastmen is interesting. I feel like it's another thing all factions should have.
Any tips for not going bankrupt as beastmen?

In general, raze almost everything for favour and only get a third herd when you're absolutely flush with favour and on the cusp of getting the 25/50% upkeep reductions on your other herds. Otherwise it will be unsustainable (if you're fielding high-tier armies, at least. Which you will want to, to stay competitive). Raid before you go all in and you can offset costs further and bleed out some extra income--for some areas, with a large army, it can be a cool 1k+ per turn; not to mention the herds you can attract, which will let you take out regional capitals.

The best places to get some quick favour is razing/raiding Greenskin lands near the coast, or Bretonnian/Estalian lands near the mountains; both will be largely busy elsewhere and will have good escape options (beast paths). Raiding specs for the lords are recommended--they will help a lot.

Also, I'd advise against fighting Dwarves. Their armies are a huge pain, due to all of the armour, charge resistance, and high leadership, and their cities are always highly entrenched and difficult to reach.

Now... as an aside, it actually doesn't make sense for beast paths to go over water as I understand it. But whatevs.

Lord Phol

Pretty much lost my first try at the Orc Campaign on normal after about 60 rounds. Think I've tried doing too many things at the same time in the beginning. Went west and south to get the other orcs under my control, as well as fighting off some dwarves to the north and east. Finally got slaughtered by two full dwarven armies going all in on me. They are hell a lot stronger than my orc boys and their morale is no joke. I didn't use the Waagh mechanic either. Going to try again, pretty sure I will do a lot better now that I got the feeling of how orcs work. Will try to get some more leadership from my tech and generals this time as that was big problem for me in the battles.

Pretty much lost my first try at the Orc Campaign on normal after about 60 rounds. Think I've tried doing too many things at the same time in the beginning. Went west and south to get the other orcs under my control, as well as fighting off some dwarves to the north and east. Finally got slaughtered by two full dwarven armies going all in on me. They are hell a lot stronger than my orc boys and their morale is no joke. I didn't use the Waagh mechanic either. Going to try again, pretty sure I will do a lot better now that I got the feeling of how orcs work. Will try to get some more leadership from my tech and generals this time as that was big problem for me in the battles.

I think the biggest tip for Greenskins is, abuse waaaghs whenever you get one. You can pretty much steamroll most cities and armies, especially early game before everything is built up. And while travelling or recuperating, give them orders to conquer or kill whatever is nearby. Because... you can always get more.

For progressing through the Grand Campaign as Greenskins, the thing that helped me the most was crushing the Top Knots and securing all of the land in that Southeastern corner (ensuring positive order so I don't need to field armies over there) and then focusing on exterminating the Dwarves (as in, the main faction) ASAP. Without them confederating, it's a lot easier to crush them one by one while diverting to nearby Human settlements for quick loot. And once you have most of that Eastern mountain strip, start thinking about crushing the Vampire Counts and how you'll deal with Chaos before marching on the Empire.

As far as lord progression, I just went all combat; the damage boosts in particular made them capable of soloing anything one-on-one, a huge help when facing armoured dwarves (who would crumble one flank at a time, thanks to the lord).

With Greenskins in battle, it's important to remember that every regular soldier is expendable and that heavy losses are part of the glory of waaagh.

Waaagh!

Dmax3901

The final battle quest as Beastmen is interesting. I feel like it's another thing all factions should have.

In general, raze almost everything for favour and only get a third herd when you're absolutely flush with favour and on the cusp of getting the 25/50% upkeep reductions on your other herds. Otherwise it will be unsustainable (if you're fielding high-tier armies, at least. Which you will want to, to stay competitive). Raid before you go all in and you can offset costs further and bleed out some extra income--for some areas, with a large army, it can be a cool 1k+ per turn; not to mention the herds you can attract, which will let you take out regional capitals.

The best places to get some quick favour is razing/raiding Greenskin lands near the coast, or Bretonnian/Estalian lands near the mountains; both will be largely busy elsewhere and will have good escape options (beast paths). Raiding specs for the lords are recommended--they will help a lot.

Also, I'd advise against fighting Dwarves. Their armies are a huge pain, due to all of the armour, charge resistance, and high leadership, and their cities are always highly entrenched and difficult to reach.

Now... as an aside, it actually doesn't make sense for beast paths to go over water as I understand it. But whatevs.

Thanks for this!

Klyka

Banned
Minotaurs are so ridiculously 'ard.

I got ambushed twice by two huge armies and both times I won cause my minotaurs would just tank everything. My two gorebulls as well.

crazy.

Klyka

Banned
Just finished my Eye for an Eye campaign!

220 turns for a Major Victory. The Ultimate one was impossible from the get go cause every Beastman faction died on the same turn I met them.

Sad really, but super fun!

Gonna start a new streamed grand campaign soon, letting people vote on the faction.
Naming cities and units after people really adds to things :)

Anyone else having trouble doing the right-click drag to form lines of units? It's just moving them around right now instead of doing the drag part. It's always been how I do it but this just started yesterday.

Sounds like you have locked the group

When right click with a locked group it moves it the locked formation but the formation changes with the issue I'm having. It's like it's not holding the right click when I drag it. Bounces all over. I was doing a twitch stream with my friends where it was happening. I'll see if I can get some video.

Started a campaign. Got my ass beat. Civic development is completely different from old total wars.

This game freaks me out. All the "we are Sigmar's Heirs." " for the twinned tailed comet" shit is freaking me out. Plus the ornate decorations.

Very scary stuff for me and I don't know why. This is my first exposure to warhammer. The lore seems great. I know 40k is more popular. .. but I like what I'm seeing here

Icefire1424

Well, jumped in for the first time this weekend, started with a few custom battles to get accustomed to the land battles.

I suck out loud.

Lost 5 matches in a row on Normal, am bout 50% on Easy. I think I'm doing it wrong. And by "it", I mean everything.

Still a damn fun game though.

karnage10

Banned
Well, jumped in for the first time this weekend, started with a few custom battles to get accustomed to the land battles.

I suck out loud.

Lost 5 matches in a row on Normal, am bout 50% on Easy. I think I'm doing it wrong. And by "it", I mean everything.

Still a damn fun game though.
If you play in the campaign map it will be easier then custom battles because there you can decide when to fight as such you will rarely fight against bad odds. If you do those battles manually you will get the experience needed to handle your units before the end of times come.

Icefire1424

If you play in the campaign map it will be easier then custom battles because there you can decide when to fight as such you will rarely fight against bad odds. If you do those battles manually you will get the experience needed to handle your units before the end of times come.

Good point. I've played the TW games since Empire, and felt my greatest strength was in the land battles, as I could regularly go in considerably outnumbered and still pull off the win. Was a little disconcerting losing that many matches on equal terms.

I'm sure I'll get it. I'm definitely not used to the effects of magic and some of the special abilities in the game, and the leadership tests and morale seem quite a bit different compared to "traditional" TW games. I'm jumping into the campaign this week on Normal though, so we'll see how it goes.

Granjinha

yo

with my dwarven campaign i annihilated chaos, the greenskins and the VC

Now i'm forcing all the dwarfs to confederate with me or be destroyed

also destroying some human factions and i think i'm gonna end up doin war with the Empire :')

I'm pretty OP

Top Bottom