• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

After I mop up a dwarven stronghold in the mountains my Beastmen are ready to start streaming out of what was once Bretonnia. I didn't know there was some random Undead faction out there but they are destroyed now. I've noticed auto-resolve likes to kill my minotaurs randomly. Kinda sucks but we can rebuild. The Beastmen are somewhat linked to Chaos in the lore but are you able to ally with them?

Also since the Beastmen have been so great I'm excited to see what the next race is. Elves? Skaven? Probably not a horde based one.

After I mop up a dwarven stronghold in the mountains my Beastmen are ready to start streaming out of what was once Bretonnia. I didn't know there was some random Undead faction out there but they are destroyed now. I've noticed auto-resolve likes to kill my minotaurs randomly. Kinda sucks but we can rebuild. The Beastmen are somewhat linked to Chaos in the lore but are you able to ally with them?

Also since the Beastmen have been so great I'm excited to see what the next race is. Elves? Skaven? Probably not a horde based one.

A string of smaller DLCs both free and paid, then Bretonnia as a free update, and then the Wood Elves as paid DLC. Mostly because the leak states that Wood Elves DLC will expand Bretonnia and Beastmen. Would put the Elves out around December or maybe January, bundled with a campaign.

Given the current theme of race vs. race, I'm curious how it will work, though. We have:
  • Empire vs. Vampire Counts
  • Dwarves vs. Greenskins
  • Elves vs. Beastmen
  • All vs. Chaos/Norsca
  • Bretonnia vs... Empire, Mousillon, and Estalia???

I suspect the Beastmen and Elves will both be able to hold all of those empty forests somehow. Maybe Beastmen can settle temporarily, and Elves permanently or something.

karnage10

Banned
Good point. I've played the TW games since Empire, and felt my greatest strength was in the land battles, as I could regularly go in considerably outnumbered and still pull off the win. Was a little disconcerting losing that many matches on equal terms.

I'm sure I'll get it. I'm definitely not used to the effects of magic and some of the special abilities in the game, and the leadership tests and morale seem quite a bit different compared to "traditional" TW games. I'm jumping into the campaign this week on Normal though, so we'll see how it goes.
The main dificulty of warhammer is that each factions is very different from each other so you really need to know your troops well to not be exploited by the enemy factions.
For example dwarfs have heavy armour and high morale as such you either need troops that have AP or you have to kill their lord/heroes to cause a rout.

The next DLC race pack are the wood elves, that DLC will also expand the beastmen roster. It's also possible that brettonia will be launched around that time as free DLC.
this month it's probably a lord pack.

Scipio

I've been strongly thinking about buying this game.

I absolutely loved Shogun 2 and its expansions, one of the best games I ever played but I really hated everything about Rome 2 (and didn't bother with its expansions).

Should I just bite the bullet? I know absolutely nothing about Warhammer.

I absolutely loved Shogun 2 and its expansions, one of the best games I ever played but I really hated everything about Rome 2 (and didn't bother with its expansions).

You should. There is no Total War with the grace and polish of Shogun 2. It's simply a gem etched into time.

But this is a good game. It really is. You don't need rome 2. Get this.

You don't really need to know anything about Warhammer specifically to enjoy the game. So long as you like fantasy and don't mind Orcs and Magic in your war simulation then you'll probably like it just fine; it's my favorite Total War game in years.

I really didn't know much about the Warhammer universe. I knewn that basics and things like that, but that's about it. In my view, this is one of the best Total War games. If you like Total War or fantasy settings, you should get this.

Dolor

Oh my lord this game. So so good. I love how the VCs play. I am probably going to buy a Mannfred figurine because I like it so much. 100+ hours in. Sooo good.

karnage10

Banned

Read the following questions, if the answer is yes to them you should get the game in my opinion.
1) Do you like fantasy?
While there are more traditional factions like empire and dwarfs most factions will play very differently from historical total wars. For example vampire counts have NO ranged units, not a single one, no archers and no artillery but they get some strong flying units and their units don't rout.
2) Do you mind lots and lots of DLC?
CA has said the warhammer game is a 10 year plan and they will be releasing 2 stand alone expansions, in between expansions you will get tons of DLC. For example the game has been out for 2 months and has 3 DLC- warriors of chaos (faction), blood and gore (new animations and add blood) and beastmen (faction+mini campaign).
3) Do you care about heavily managing your cities?
total warhammer kinda streamlined the provinces making the game more focused on your armies and on the battles (i really like this change)
4) would you mind that the siege battles would be with just 1 wall alongside the map instead of a full settlement?
This time CA completely changed the siege battles, for me they are much better because the AI works better and the walls are much bigger allowing the movement of troops easely, however you no longer defend the whole settlement, you just defend that wall.

Personally total warhammer and attila claim my favorite total war. What i like the most of warhammer is that each faction is very different in some ways playing with different factions feels like a new game to explore. Another example dwarfs have no cavalry but have very high morale and very high armour, makes for a very different experience in the battlefield since you will always be flanked because you have no cavalry.

I think if you enjoy Total War at all, Total Warhammer is a must. Each faction is unique and interesting in their own way, the enemy AI is challenging, the Grand Campaign is, well, grand, and the DLC hasn't let anyone down yet. It's just a ton of fun to play, both in-campaign and in-battle. The only reason to wait is if you want a better deal on everything in the horizon (namely, the new factions and expansions). Though having recently played Shogun 2, I should mention that it has less nuance in the campaign mode on an individual faction-to-faction basis (tech trees, economy, diplomacy, and infrastructure are markedly less complicated than in Shogun 2).

Personally, I've only really played Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, but have already played more of Total Warhammer than either of those. It's just really hard to put down.

Palmer_v1

I'll just echo some of their sentiments.

Yes, it's a good to great Total War game, if you don't mind fantasy elements thrown into your Medieval warfare.

There are currently fewer overall factions, but they are much more unique. Very few units are shared across factions.

No, you do not need to know anything about Warhammer to enjoy this. I would say that they follow some typical fantasy tropes, but that does a disservice to Warhammer, which arguably CREATED a lot of the tropes.

Empire of men, who generally just wants to spread the influence of man as widely as possible, but is fractured by infighting.

Vampire Counts, who are not actually inherently evil. Mostly just pissed off at the Empire for past conflicts, and would be perfectly happy living in tandem with normal Humans. Main goal is to restore their brethren, and overthrow Karl Franz as Emperor.

Greenskins, a savage mixture of races who simply love to fight, and will happily go to war with anyone nearby. Their goal? WAAAAGH!

Dwarves, who share borders with the Greenskins, and absolutely hate them. Fairly tolerant of everyone else, as long as you don't piss them off. Literally hold grudges for generations. Goals? Crush Greenskins, protect their borders, and settle grudges.

Chaos, who are basically corrupted members of all the other races, hate everything and only value strength. Infighting encouraged so the strong rise to the top. The only truly evil group. Goal? Destroy everything they can't convert to Chaos.

Beastmen, who are chaos influenced. I know the least about them, but they generally just seem pissed at anyone who is destroying the wilderness they live in, so Men seem to be their main enemy. Goal? Crush anyone would invade their wildlands.

And very soon, Wood Elves. I don't know much about them. I assume they're similar to Dwarves, in that they just want to be left alone but share land with Beastmen.

Beastmen, who are chaos influenced. I know the least about them, but they generally just seem pissed at anyone who is destroying the wilderness they live in, so Men seem to be their main enemy. Goal? Crush anyone would invade their wildlands.

And very soon, Wood Elves. I don't know much about them. I assume they're similar to Dwarves, in that they just want to be left alone but share land with Beastmen.

The Beasties are basically Chaos hipsters who hate humans because they were worshipping Khorne before it was cool. However, since they are all a bunch of horrible mutants literally born of Chaos the gods really couldn't give two shits about them. They care more about souls given and corrupted rather than a bunch of refuse that has no choice but to worship them anyway. So the Beastmen take out their inferiority on humanity, who they see as worthless usurpers trying to create order in an ideally chaotic world.

The Wood Elves are a splinter group of the species who moved into Athel Lorian (megahuge forest near Bretonnia) and sort of "went native", losing contact with the outside world and dedicating themselves to protecting the forest and the God and goddess who inhabit it. Generally they are kinda good on a grand scheme level, seeing as how they oppose Chaos and all, but they are also huge dicks who are more than happy to dick over anyone they feel is inferior to them (which is everyone. Elves, ya know) or who might threaten Athel Lorian. Famous for pretty much creating the Bretonnian religion and social structure on a lark, leading to dozens of generations of human suffering and misery so they'd have some meatshields to guard the forest borders.

Icefire1424

The main dificulty of warhammer is that each factions is very different from each other so you really need to know your troops well to not be exploited by the enemy factions.
For example dwarfs have heavy armour and high morale as such you either need troops that have AP or you have to kill their lord/heroes to cause a rout.

This was a good post, and did help me quite a bit. I realized that in the custom matches I was playing, I wasn't really adjusting my forces to the units I would likely face, instead bringing in a "balanced" force. That was my mistake.

For example, when facing the Bretonnians, I only had a few spear units although they are cavalry heavy. Those mistakes cost me.

And yes, it is considerably easier in the campaign, even on Normal difficulty. Although I did make a rather large mistake early on that might end my first campaign really early. Got a bit too close to one of the Empire Secessionists settlements that was under attack from two Beastmen hoards, who then targeted me. Defeated the first in a successful ambush, but then the secessionists attacked immediately afterwards, outnumbering me 2 to 1. Don't think I'll survive that fight.

My campaign might be "over" before turn 10...oops.

karnage10

Banned
This was a good post, and did help me quite a bit. I realized that in the custom matches I was playing, I wasn't really adjusting my forces to the units I would likely face, instead bringing in a "balanced" force. That was my mistake.

For example, when facing the Bretonnians, I only had a few spear units although they are cavalry heavy. Those mistakes cost me.

And yes, it is considerably easier in the campaign, even on Normal difficulty. Although I did make a rather large mistake early on that might end my first campaign really early. Got a bit too close to one of the Empire Secessionists settlements that was under attack from two Beastmen hoards, who then targeted me. Defeated the first in a successful ambush, but then the secessionists attacked immediately afterwards, outnumbering me 2 to 1. Don't think I'll survive that fight.

My campaign might be "over" before turn 10...oops.

IMO empire and dwarfs are the hardest factions to start with because they have very weak rosters for the hard start;
empire has crappy infantry troops and crappy cavalry at the start and is surrounded by potential enemies;
dwarfs get flanked all the time and have low numbers which means that when you have to deal with the first greenskin waaagh! you better have allies and enough territory to rebuild a few lost armies.
I feel that VC/greenskins are the easiest, the VC roster is really strong if you use it right (i felt manny was OP really OP), the greenskins have a hard time against the dwarfs because of the high armour however grimgor is basecally an army himself.
I felt chaos was a weird faction, while everyone tries to beat you once you get your highest tier army you are "invincible", the chosen ,kholek, archeon, shagoths, hellcanon ,etc. can beat most elite units from other factions easily; i think in average i got 400-800 kills with just the LL. (note if you don't have the lighting skill the game will be hard as hell)

Are you restarting the campaign with empire? If not give a try to VC or the orcs.

I don't know how you could love Shogun 2 and not Rome 2. They are very similar games.

Empire is the secret best Total War

Anyway, I think Warhammer is one of the strongest entries in the series. I mean all the entries usually end up fantastic but this one started really strong and with how awesome the Beastmen are, I can't really see it getting weaker. The unit variety is probably the best they've ever had. Each playable faction has widely different units and playstyles so you can really play this through multiple times and it will feel extremely different. I also have to add that the unit animations are glorious. I love watching my beastmen snort and stamp around. It's damn cool. If you are into Total War, then this game is a no-brainer, even if you have 0 Warhammer knowledge. The only thing I knew about Warhammer was that people think Warcraft stole from it or something but really, I would treat it like a fantasy Total War rather than a Warhammer game.

I guess my bottom line is get it if you're in to Total War and/or Warhammer. If you haven't tried Total War then maybe wait for a sale if you have doubts. For the above poster who loved Shogun I would say get it.

Icefire1424

Are you restarting the campaign with empire? If not give a try to VC or the orcs.

I'm actually going to try to fight my way out of the predicament I fiund myself in, but should Franz fall, then yea, I'll probably restart as Empire. Played that army back in my tabletop days, I'm a bit biased :)

Dmax3901

The Beasties are basically Chaos hipsters who hate humans because they were worshipping Khorne before it was cool. However, since they are all a bunch of horrible mutants literally born of Chaos the gods really couldn't give two shits about them. They care more about souls given and corrupted rather than a bunch of refuse that has no choice but to worship them anyway. So the Beastmen take out their inferiority on humanity, who they see as worthless usurpers trying to create order in an ideally chaotic world.

The Wood Elves are a splinter group of the species who moved into Athel Lorian (megahuge forest near Bretonnia) and sort of "went native", losing contact with the outside world and dedicating themselves to protecting the forest and the God and goddess who inhabit it. Generally they are kinda good on a grand scheme level, seeing as how they oppose Chaos and all, but they are also huge dicks who are more than happy to dick over anyone they feel is inferior to them (which is everyone. Elves, ya know) or who might threaten Athel Lorian. Famous for pretty much creating the Bretonnian religion and social structure on a lark, leading to dozens of generations of human suffering and misery so they'd have some meatshields to guard the forest borders.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks.

Lord Phol

Finally finished my Orc campaign. Quite different from my Dwarfs playthrough with a lot of back and forth in the badlands. Started of pretty good and it didn't take too long until I almost had the whole orclands united, but then Dwarfs and Top Knotz showed up from nowhere with giant armies taking over everything in their paths until I only had like 3 areas left. I nurtured those areas and then went for payback time with a big waaaaagh until I finally had most of the south. Just as I had cleared that obstacle Chaos shows up with 4 big armies. Apparently they had exterminated most of the human civilization, unlike in my Dwarfs campaign where they were stopped pretty much soley by the AI. Almost gave up here, had to do some load-scumming cause those Chaos were crazy powerful and came from nowhere with boats. Finally managed to smash them all, and then it was just a matter of cleaning up the rest of the objectives.

All in all I had some good fun with the Orcs. Their low morale can be pretty annoying but I enjoyed their top tier unites like Giants and Arachnids. My Warchief was pretty strong and could kill most of the other lords, with the exception of Sigvald who was quite the stubborn one. I also learned how to better manage my units in battles and also how to control the camera which made the game a lot more fun. Unlike my last campaign that burned me out I'm actually pondering starting an Empire campaign right now. Might even get the Beastmen DLC to see how they play before the other races join the game.

Edit: I do hope they add some variety to the campaign for the other races like they they did with Beastmen. Different starting positions and maybe some difference in how the campaign plays out etc. One thing I noticed in my Orc campaign was that a lot of the fighting happend in the badlands and I never had any real interaction with either the counts or the humans which was a bit of a bummer.

Icefire1424

Around turn 125 in my Empire campaign, and so far I've learned:

1.) I'm rubbish at diplomacy.
2.) Chaos is no joke.
3.) Never leave your level 2 villages undefended. They will get captured. Repeatedly.
4.) Seriously. Awful at diplomacy.
5.) #1 and #4 don't really seem to be that big a deal once the fighting starts.

2.) Chaos is no joke.
3.) Never leave your level 2 villages undefended. They will get captured. Repeatedly.

Have you been attacking other Empire states?

karnage10

Banned
Edit: I do hope they add some variety to the campaign for the other races like they they did with Beastmen. Different starting positions and maybe some difference in how the campaign plays out etc. One thing I noticed in my Orc campaign was that a lot of the fighting happend in the badlands and I never had any real interaction with either the counts or the humans which was a bit of a bummer.

I think CA will add new starting positions beginning with the next DLC, I think they will use the DLC lord packs to infuse new starting positions and new* units for the factions.

Have the people of this thread been watching the new info on the regiments of renown?
Here http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regiments_of_Renown

I think CA will add new starting positions beginning with the next DLC, I think they will use the DLC lord packs to infuse new starting positions and new* units for the factions.

Have the people of this thread been watching the new info on the regiments of renown?
I heard about this and was pretty excited. Also, Volkmar the Grim might be one of the new lords coming.

2.) Chaos is no joke.

Diplomacy?

No peace, only war!

Icefire1424

Diplomacy?

No peace, only war!

Haha, that's sortof what I ended up going with. I tried to make peace with two rival Empire factions. Even gave them a small gift to help boost relations. They both declared war on me the very next turn. Bad timing, I suppose. I ended up wiping them from the face of the Earth. Er, whatever the Warhammer equivalent to Earth is, anyways.

At the moment I've somewhat "stalled". Chaos keeping me busy, don't really have the forces to commit elsewhere at the moment.

Edit:
Do you have any allies at all?

One military alliance with a TINY Empire faction, a few defensive allies. One broke their alliance with me once another faction declared war on me. Only good thing about the Chaos invasion, pretty much everyone else wanted peace afterwards. Even the Vampire Counts. Currently at war with Chaos, and the Greenskins.

Edit to the Edit:
Probably goes without saying, but this was my first attempt at a campaign in this game. Forming alliances weren't really my focus from the get go. If I were to start over, for example, I've learned to do quite a few things much differently. Curious to see how this plays out though - it's part of the fun for sure.

2.) Chaos is no joke.

Yeah I'm about 215 turns into a multiplayer vs campaign as Empire (vs Chaos) and man it's tough. All diplomacy is gone, no one will even entertain it anymore. I'm about 40 cities large and defending the borders is crazy, its just so much ground and everyone hates everyone. War is everywhere - Skaeling are mad men, I can't beat them back fast enough. I have 3 stacks burning every town they have but man it's slow moving in raid stance to avoid that attrition. Meanwhile they avoid my defensive stacks like the plague and I end up in huge chases before I can clear them while they burn the middle of my Empire.

My friend (enemy in this case lol) is all out fighting in the Dwarf lands, and sadly I think he's going to take this one (on the plus side at least I took the last campaign as Dwarves vs Vampires). He has around a 44 to 40 lead on me but he's still moving forward while I'm stagnating now. I did just finish off the Vampires but I'm not sure how I can afford to progress further. On the plus side I'm the #1 power in the world by a decent margain. I think my only option at this point is to just abandon defense and try to go all out offense against the Border Princes and the Greenskins. Just not sure I can afford it.

Haha, that's sortof what I ended up going with. I tried to make peace with two rival Empire factions. Even gave them a small gift to help boost relations. They both declared war on me the very next turn. Bad timing, I suppose. I ended up wiping them from the face of the Earth. Er, whatever the Warhammer equivalent to Earth is, anyways.

At the moment I've somewhat "stalled". Chaos keeping me busy, don't really have the forces to commit elsewhere at the moment.

Edit:

One military alliance with a TINY Empire faction, a few defensive allies. One broke their alliance with me once another faction declared war on me. Only good thing about the Chaos invasion, pretty much everyone else wanted peace afterwards. Even the Vampire Counts. Currently at war with Chaos, and the Greenskins.

Edit to the Edit:
Probably goes without saying, but this was my first attempt at a campaign in this game. Forming alliances weren't really my focus from the get go. If I were to start over, for example, I've learned to do quite a few things much differently. Curious to see how this plays out though - it's part of the fun for sure.

That happens when playing the Empire. People will want peace and try and join forces when Chaos arrives.

Icefire1424

My friend (enemy in this case lol) is all out fighting in the Dwarf lands, and sadly I think he's going to take this one (on the plus side at least I took the last campaign as Dwarves vs Vampires). He has around a 44 to 40 lead on me but he's still moving forward while I'm stagnating now.

"Enemy of my enemy, and all that...haha.

I did just finish off the Vampires but I'm not sure how I can afford to progress further. On the plus side I'm the #1 power in the world by a decent margain. I think my only option at this point is to just abandon defense and try to go all out offense against the Border Princes and the Greenskins. Just not sure I can afford it.

I think that's cool - having to make those decisions. What's the greater risk? Will it work, or fail horribly? Risky either way.

That happens when playing the Empire. People will want peace and try and join forces when Chaos arrives.

I did assume this would happen, and very glad it did. It did give me the opportunity to relax just a bit, and focus solely on the Chaos armies. I did take advantage though, and attacked an Empire force I was still at war with shortly after they lost a battle to Chaos. I was able to steamroll the rest of their force, take the last city I needed for a Provence, and immediately made peace. Was risky, but it worked.

I really am enjoying the game, but man, some of the decisions it forces you to make can be agonizing. I'm learning a lot though.

I thought OTs were supposed to move to Community after a month or so? Have we successfully infiltrated Gaming side? I should add stuff about the Beastmen to the OP.

Stevey

I'll make sure the release date is continuously updated so nobody notices the game came out in May.

Lol

Need to get back into this.
Did a Dwarf campaign at launch.
Tried the stand alone Beastmen campaign, got surrounded and outnumbered right near the beginning and haven't been back to it since.

Lord Phol

Ah ok, well that's at least something. More Lord options in general will be nice to have. The regime stuff looks like it adds another layer of tactics to the game as well, so that's neat.

The Lord DLC sounds better than I was expecting, mostly because of those regiments. Might actually be cool.. but I imagine they'll be charging $10 or something absurd for it, like always.

I think I'll wait until it goes on sale until I truly consider getting it.
Lol

Need to get back into this.
Did a Dwarf campaign at launch.
Tried the stand alone Beastmen campaign, got surrounded and outnumbered right near the beginning and haven't been back to it since.

Beastmen need to be cagey like Chaos to survive in the beginning, due to having no landed cities and no fallback for failure.

Fortunately for Beastmen, they have the best mobility in the game. Beast-Paths and Horde gameplay means they can go absolute anywhere, and their excellent ambush technique means that most empires won't see them coming until it's far too late. It can lead to some very devastating victories that would be impossible if you were a different army.

Can i suggest to mark the warriors of chaos as DLC on the OT?

Thank you, I made the changes. I added them to a new list called "Playable DLC Factions" and added a line in their paragraph stating that payment is now required to access the faction. I'll add Beastmen to that list as well after work.

The key to Beastmen is to ravage the cities with no defenses for cash and then build up enough to take the major walled cities. Avoid garrisoned towns unless you're powerful or they come out and you can ambush them.

Oh right, I forgot to mention that Beastmen are different from Chaos in that they don't want to lay waste to the map... it is preferable for their enemies to rebuild and become ripe targets again. It's a constant cycle of destruction and renewal that sustains them throughout the Grand Campaign, particularly once you're fielding three armies.

karnage10

Banned
They have been announcing new content on thursdays. They have just said there will be a new map as FLC.
I'm predicting the plan is 1 DLC/month with announcement/release at the last thursday of the month.
this month will be a lord pack. Next month it's probably the wood elves.

karnage10

Banned
Any news on the Brets then? I thought I heard they were making them playable in the Grand Campaign.

No "news" on the brets, we currently know that they will be a free race. we also know that they are the one of the last FLC to be released.
Using the russian datamine info we know that brets are after wood elves. I think it makes sense (from a busines and a DEV standpoint) to release a new race(+minicampaign?) every 2 months; between races you release the lord packs (which are much simpler since it's mostly reskins).
If you take those considerations above i expect brettonia to be added to the game in November/December assuming everything stays on track.
my " baseless" prediction:
August - lord pack (empire + VC) + FLC (new map, LL for GK?+ squigs?)
September - wood elves + minicampaign + FLC (new hero + enw magic lore and possibly new units for beastmen)
October - Lord pack (dwarfs + GK) + FLC (LL for dwarfs?)
November- new minicampaign? (kislev?) + FLC (brettonia)
December - lord pack (beastmen + chaos?)+ FLC (new hero +magic lore)
January - no FLC anounced, i assume they will start to focus on the new stand alone title however if the previous DLC are very sucessefull i they they will probably try to revamp the minor factions like norsca, border princes, teleia and stalia .
If i were Sega the text before is what i'd do.

my prejudice against Beastman was unfounded, they're dumb fun

especiallly the dark moon mechanic, it gives the game a new spin every x rounds

recruiting 6 units of Minotaurs (3 shielded) with the full experience effect right before a huge siege in a Middenheim capital was something else

my prejudice against Beastman was unfounded, they're dumb fun

especiallly the dark moon mechanic, it gives the game a new spin every x rounds

recruiting 6 units of Minotaurs (3 shielded) with the full experience effect right before a huge siege in a Middenheim capital was something else

Did you have at least two gorebulls too?

Top Bottom