• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Klyka

Banned
I'm hyped for some Beastmen. At this moment, I'm watching Heir of Carthage's video's about the race.

Haha you watch him too?
I love the guys battle replay videos! Have been subbed to him since the game came out :D

Also, I have seen the light when it comes to "lightning strike".
Being able to fight one army after another instead of all three as reinforcements is SO strong.

Baalzebup

Being able to fight one army after another instead of all three as reinforcements is SO strong.

Tell me about it. I completely ignored it on my first campaign, but later on it has become a must for all generals. Crushing 3 Dwarf armies from a pile of 5 using only Archaon's own army and then running away far enough to prevent retaliation was something else.

karnage10

Banned
Beastmen are a horde faction right?

Not a fan sadly, but crushing them should ne fun
I haven't palyed them so i can't vouch them but since their "basic" stance is ambush and they can only raze will make their gameplay faster then any other horde faction to date.
So if you don't like horde factions because they are "slow" to build up then take a look at this new faction if you just don't enjoy watching the world burn then skip it entirely

ISee

Beastmen are a horde faction right?

Not a fan sadly, but crushing them should ne fun

Overall they seem like a mix of orks and chaos.

-They don't build settlements and rely on sacking cities to generate money like chaos´. With two differences:
1.) You can't farm cities for xp or loot. Beastmen autodestroy a city after sacking.
2.) They go into hiding when encamping.

-You can summon a 'waaagh' (great horde) and you can 'tunnel' through terrain. Just like orks.

-The one new mechanic is Morrslieb the dark moon. Every couple of rounds you have to choose between four different bonuses. Those bonuses are rather strong but also have negative sideffects
For example:

90% recruitment cost, but -25 melee for all units
Heal all units, horde growth -20
+15% Weapon strength, +50 melee, -50% campaign movement speed.

Lord Phol

Not the biggest fan of "horde" races in this game (though I've yet to give orcs a proper try), but Beastmen definitely look the most interesting out of the 3. It will be nice to have another variable on the map at least.

I haven't palyed them so i can't vouch them but since their "basic" stance is ambush and they can only raze will make their gameplay faster then any other horde faction to date.
So if you don't like horde factions because they are "slow" to build up then take a look at this new faction if you just don't enjoy watching the world burn then skip it entirely

oh i'll definitely try them, just saying that i prefer the non-horde factions

Chaos campaigns i played never became fun

Overall they seem like a mix of orks and chaos.

-They don't build settlements and rely on sacking cities to generate money like chaos´. With two differences:
1.) You can't farm cities for xp or loot. Beastmen autodestroy a city after sacking.
2.) They go into hiding when encamping.

-You can summon a 'waaagh' (great horde) and you can 'tunnel' through terrain. Just like orks.

-The one new mechanic is Morrslieb the dark moon. Every couple of rounds you have to choose between four different bonuses. Those bonuses are rather strong but also have negative sideffects
For example:

90% recruitment cost, but -25 melee for all units
Heal all units, horde growth -20
+15% Weapon strength, +50 melee, -50% campaign movement speed.

so they're like a mix between chaos and orks

sounds good, i liked campaigns with greenskins

Not the biggest fan of "horde" races in this game (though I've yet to give orcs a proper try), but Beastmen definitely look the most interesting out of the 3. It will be nice to have another variable on the map at least.

Orcs aren't really a horde, in the gameplay sense. They build cities and take territory like the Empire or Dwarves, they just have poor sources of income and generally can't do diplomacy well enough to secure trade so they make all their money from fighting and looting. Chaos and Beastmen don't have cities or territory; your army doubles as your "capitol" and has all your troop and tech buildings inside of it. This makes each army remarkably self-sufficient but means you have to keep moving to constantly have places to raid and loot to keep your income going and you never really have anywhere "safe" to fall back to.

Haha you watch him too?
I love the guys battle replay videos! Have been subbed to him since the game came out :D

It works every time.

Theandrin

Like others have already said, I'm not a big fan of playing as a horde faction, but I look forward to the extra threat they present. Should be a lot of fun to have them maundering around causing mayhem.

Klyka

Banned
Like others have already said, I'm not a big fan of playing as a horde faction, but I look forward to the extra threat they present. Should be a lot of fun to have them maundering around causing mayhem.

Yep,especially since they are always in ambush stance, meaning they can disrupt your well laid plans easily :D

Granjinha

I WANT THIS DLC SO BAD, FUCK

It's been a long time since a wanted DLC from any game. It seems SO. GOOD.

Anyone remembers what's next after the beastmen? There was a leak, right?

Klyka

Banned
I did a 3 hour stream of the Beastmen campaign and being able to rename heroes and units is really cool for this, since I named them after people in the chat :D

So you'd have people go "How many kills did my unit get??" or "Oh no I am surrounded!!"

Really fun!

And the beastmen look great!
I was super surprised to see that Beastmen Chaos Spawn look different to normal Chaos Spawn. They have hooves and tails and stuff.

Dmax3901

I would love to stream games but my shitty Australian internet isn't good enough :( At least I assume that's why, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I did a 3 hour stream of the Beastmen campaign and being able to rename heroes and units is really cool for this, since I named them after people in the chat :D

So you'd have people go "How many kills did my unit get??" or "Oh no I am surrounded!!"

Really fun!

I was super surprised to see that Beastmen Chaos Spawn look different to normal Chaos Spawn. They have hooves and tails and stuff.

They did the same thing with the Giant.

IIRC it's almost certain that the next few DLCs are smaller stuff. In the leak, the faction DLCs were always a few entries apart.

Really fun!

They did the same thing with the Giant.

Ah, that's awesome. I was kinda bummed about them being recycled from Chaos.

Y'know, Total Warhammer has very impressive battles overall. They manage to make giant units or powerful lords fit right in with the rabble. And the blood DLC adds... a surprising amount of weight to the battles.

The Minotaurs + Blood and Gore DLC explode people. They did a great job on the animations. I've been rolling up human lines all day.

Edit: ^ This dude gets it. The flanks are fucking devastating. Unit design is top notch, they look AMAZING.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying the Beastmen. They look phenomenal, and its so much fun having an army of basically satan's goons.

I stayed up all night playing through the Beastmen Eye for an eye campaign. I'm just about to finish it. It got ridiculous as everyone allied against me so I'd have upwards of 7 or 8 armies chasing me around while I led them through atrophy areas on a wild goose chase then would pick them off. It's crazy how much money the AI seems to have (cheat as much as ever) even though I'd largely destroyed their settlements. At the end they had something like 15 agents a piece just constantly bugging my armies and multiple armies themselves, far more than I could sustain. Thankfully my guys are rank 30+ from all the battles early on. My assassin has 80+% chance to succeed pretty much every time. Even against level 18+ heroes.

But yea, intense on Very Hard. I long stopped fighting battles unless it reflects I may lose. I turned around quite a few battles that had me at a large disadvantage.

yeah I spent a couple minutes just zooming around my units. I can see how these types of DLC would be a little more work than traditional Total War DLC. They have to make all these pretty different units and stuff. I'm really happy about how unique each faction plays. Even the horde based ones of Chaos and Beastmen have these differences that open up different styles of play.

Edit: Yup. Unless you are like super outnumbered, you'll get tons better results by just playing out the battle.

Lockless

I'm having a lot of fun with the beastmen but in the eye canpaign the ai has a serious problem with army composition, worse than it has ever been. One army which the game said would smash me in auto resolve was made up of 4 mages of various lores, two captains and 4 lumiarks, as well as 3 other artillery. They only had about 3 spearmen as their normal forces. A lot of armies are made up of all cavalry as well which is a nightmare to deal with if you can't ambush them.

Anyone else have this or is it likely from one of my mods, I thought I got rid of any mods that affected unit composition.

I'm having a lot of fun with the beastmen but in the eye canpaign the ai has a serious problem with army composition, worse than it has ever been. One army which the game said would smash me in auto resolve was made up of 4 mages of various lores, two captains and 4 lumiarks, as well as 3 other artillery. They only had about 3 spearmen as their normal forces. A lot of armies are made up of all cavalry as well which is a nightmare to deal with if you can't ambush them.

Anyone else have this or is it likely from one of my mods, I thought I got rid of any mods that affected unit composition.

No there was some early battles where the enemy was composed nearly entirely of outsiders and such for me. I had only a small group of archers so I had to chase them to the extremities of the map. Late game the enemy seems to be like you said composed of many hero units and high cost cavalry and artillery type units. And it constantly puts me at a disadvantage so I have to fight it out because it's just silly.

Fitz

Has anyone had problems with the game not allowing you to continue after cutscenes, specifically when Archaon appears around turn 110? I get the video, then the camera focusing on the two Chaos armies whilst the advisor gives his little "the end is nigh" speech, but I can't close the dialogue, or continue moving armies/end turn etc.

So uhhh. I didn't see that I had to make a confederation with two Beastmen tribes and I've wiped the map completely clean. There was one tribe left and I made a confederation with them, but there's nothing left. Will one eventually appear?

What do? I'm just circling the map.

7796BA69C9BF17D4D16FFC5AA8B0E77ED92B6CBA

I don't think so!

Awwww. That sucks. Well time for a Grand Campaign starting in the south and wiping out some Orcz. Greenskin bowling time!

Apparently I unlocked Boris Todbringer for something, but I don't know what. I could have sworn it said Grand Campaign, but it won't let me use him when I select empire so I guess not.

Klyka

Banned
Awwww. That sucks. Well time for a Grand Campaign starting in the south and wiping out some Orcz. Greenskin bowling time!

Apparently I unlocked Boris Todbringer for something, but I don't know what. I could have sworn it said Grand Campaign, but it won't let me use him when I select empire so I guess not.

I think you unlock his skin? I am not sure.

Lord Phol

Orcs aren't really a horde, in the gameplay sense. They build cities and take territory like the Empire or Dwarves, they just have poor sources of income and generally can't do diplomacy well enough to secure trade so they make all their money from fighting and looting. Chaos and Beastmen don't have cities or territory; your army doubles as your "capitol" and has all your troop and tech buildings inside of it. This makes each army remarkably self-sufficient but means you have to keep moving to constantly have places to raid and loot to keep your income going and you never really have anywhere "safe" to fall back to.

Hm, you are correct. Perhaps orcs are the ones I should be trying next (Chaos really doesn't do anything for me), thought I do prefer the races with more diplomacy options. I will probably skip Beastmen for now (though they do look neat) and wait for Wood Elves. I imagine they'll also be somewhat ambush focused but less horde-like and more diplomacy viable.

Wow they really charging $15 + for a new faction? And locking chaos behind first week buyers was bad enough.

Any other total war game i'd be right there with you, but for the first time each faction feels completely unique, and have their own mechanics rather than just lazy reskins of existing units. I'll probably end up grabbing everything they put out. Haven't had this much fun in a Total War game since Shogun 2.

Top Bottom