• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

karnage10

Banned
I love this game. But I don't understand town stud at all. It's very different from past total wars

the town stuff are relatively easy to understand here are some base points.
First you will want to define a province (or 2 when you get big) to be a military province. On this province you focus in building the infrastructure to recruit your troops. The rest of the provinces should focus on these 3 types of buildings (public order, money makers and garrison)
Secondly you should build the garrison building in every city since in tier 3 cities a tier 2 garrison creates walls, giving you time to reinforce a siege if an enemy army sneaks past your forces.
thirdly, many agents have very nice buffs for provinces; for example a banshee or a necromancer in a rich province can make a lot of money.
lastly always build from inside of your empire to the periphery so that you always have a core that can sustain your armies.

Icefire1424

Thinking I'm getting the hang of this. 150 something turns into the Empire campaign now, and actually have several military and defensive allies. Coordinating war targets really makes a difference. Granted the alliance thing became quite a bit easier after...

The end times happen, and Archaon spawns.

Pretty sure that causes one heck of a "friendly" boost to anyone that isn't Chaos.

Thinking I'm getting the hang of this. 150 something turns into the Empire campaign now, and actually have several military and defensive allies. Coordinating war targets really makes a difference. Granted the alliance thing became quite a bit easier after...

The end times happen, and Archaon spawns.

Pretty sure that causes one heck of a "friendly" boost to anyone that isn't Chaos.

Shield of Civilization trait is very powerful, yeah. The best time to confederate with any stragglers, particularly as Empire. Really, any non-Chaos wars during their invasion is counterproductive, because once Chaos gets rolling they become a massive threat. Especially for Empire, which will likely be pelted by Norsca from the Northern shores as well as the inevitable Chaos advance to the East.

It's just the Greenskins that don't care and want to see the world burn.

The fact that the Warriors of Chaos is being helped by any number of the Northern tribes makes fighting harder when you see stacks of Varg or other Tribes everywhere.

As Empire/VC, Greenskins have never bothered me. They always get entangled in wars with Dwarves or Border Princes and never really go beyond that, with their worst incursions only ever being in Schwartzkopf for a spell before losing everything to attrition and being annihilated/retreating and then never bothing me again.

Really curious to see how my Dwarf game goes. I'll probably start it when the next patch hits.
The fact that the Warriors of Chaos is being helped by any number of the Northern tribes makes fighting harder when you see stacks of Varg or other Tribes everywhere.

Oftentimes the Norsca are a bigger problem for me than Chaos. They have near-infinite money thanks to all their coastal towns and endless full stacks that cause all sorts of havoc. Like, they're not high tier armies, but just numerous enough to need mobilised resistance.

The worst part is it's veeerry difficult to eradicate them due to all of the attrition. I've generally only been able to get half of their territories before needing to retreat.

As Empire/VC, Greenskins have never bothered me. They always get entangled in wars with Dwarves or Border Princes and never really go beyond that, with their worst incursions only ever being in Schwartzkopf for a spell before losing everything to attrition and being annihilated/retreating and then never bothing me again.

Really curious to see how my Dwarf game goes. I'll probably start it when the next patch hits.

Oftentimes the Norsca are a bigger problem for me than Chaos. They have near-infinite money thanks to all their coastal towns and endless full stacks that cause all sorts of havoc. Like, they're not high tier armies, but just numerous enough to need mobilised resistance.

The worst part is it's veeerry difficult to eradicate them due to all of the attrition. I've generally only been able to get half of their territories before needing to retreat.

Yep. It turns into a grind after a while.

Palmer_v1

Yep. It turns into a grind after a while.

In my Empire game, I went after them very early since diplomacy was keeping my borders clear, and it took balthasar and a random general over 100 turns, and they still had stuff left to clear, but the actual chaos armies were showing up so I had to bail. The good thing was Norsca tribes never fucked with anyone else, so kislev and company kinda wrecked the chaos lords.

Klyka

Banned
+ 1

I want a strong ranged army

(They should be right?)

They are gonna have some fun units.

They will basically have the best archers in the game, should have crazy skirmishing units for cavalry, their war dancers are gonna be interesting as a melee unit and having dryads as monstrous infantry and maybe a huge elder treant as a "tree giant" would be sweet.

Cenarion as a legendary lord as well as the female with the butterfly wings.

Giant Eagles as flying units I bet.

They might have Glade Riders as cavalry:
glade_Riders.jpg

Basically fast cavalry that can use their bows and then their spears as lances. So a ranged skirmisher shock cavalry

Maybe the "Eternal Guard" as elite infantry?

They have heavy armor, shields and spears.

In my Empire game, I went after them very early since diplomacy was keeping my borders clear, and it took balthasar and a random general over 100 turns, and they still had stuff left to clear, but the actual chaos armies were showing up so I had to bail. The good thing was Norsca tribes never fucked with anyone else, so kislev and company kinda wrecked the chaos lords.

The saving grace with Norsca is once you annihilate Chaos, the Norsca become a non-issue and are largely pacified for the rest of the campaign. I think they end up having too many enemies and their AI goes into full isolation mode. It lets you focus on the final goals of the campaign, whatever they may be.

https://youtu.be/1yI1LVCGNpc

The Grim & The Grave is the first Lords Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER. Bolstering the forces of both The Empire and The Vampire Counts, it introduces famous rival characters and new iconic units from the world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles to your campaigns and battles.

Two new Legendary Lords…
…with new quest chains, magic items and skill trees
Two new additional Lord types
Five all-new battlefield units plus variants
Five new battlefields for custom battles and multiplayer battles
18 elite Regiments of Renown

Like I was telling a friend, in any other case I'd probably be bitching and whining about all this DLC, but for some reason Total Warhammer is just so fucking good that I will buy every single thing that comes out for it regardless of being overpriced.

Speaking of is there a price yet? We can probably expect another pack like this after the next faction dlc, since this one mainly fleshes out Empire and Vampire counts, and the faction DLC will flesh out Beastmen along with the new Wood Elves we'll probably get a Greenskins/Dwarves lords and regiments next.

Klyka

Banned
Like I was telling a friend, in any other case I'd probably be bitching and whining about all this DLC, but for some reason Total Warhammer is just so fucking good that I will buy every single thing that comes out for it regardless of being overpriced.

Speaking of is there a price yet? We can probably expect another pack like this after the next faction dlc, since this one mainly fleshes out Empire and Vampire counts, and the faction DLC will flesh out Beastmen along with the new Wood Elves we'll probably get a Greenskins/Dwarves lords and regiments next.

with 10% off it is currently 6,50€

Anno

Wait Vlad gives the entire army vanguard deployment? Good lord. Hopefully Kemler gets some massive buffs or he's somehow even more useless.

Stevey

If we buy it all at release it will seem cheaper than say waiting for it all to be released and buying it all at once V:

Turn 100 in my current Empire campaign. The North fell due to a civil war between Middenheim and Kislev. I was deliberately trying to stay out of it; since I was trading with both sides and had the VCs knocking at my door (they pushed all the way westward to Reikland!) I figured it was best that I cleaned shop a bit before I moved to settle them. Unfortunately, by the time the VCs were finished Grimgor was spoiling for a fight, having basically made the Border Princes his bitch and locked the Dwarves up in their homes.

Speaking of which, the Dwarves have some messed up priorities because even when they had Orcs literally assaulting their walls they were still begging me to join their war....against the Border Princes. They must have really done something to piss them off.

So currently Franz is down south knee deep in Greenskins trying desperately to salvage what's left of the Dwarven alliance. I confederate Middenheim, who is losing bad against Kislev and pals, to stop their war. Just in time for Norsca to show up. I guess they smelled weakness because they've cut right through the old Middenheim territories like butter and now I've got Gelt literally staring down barbarians right outside the walls of Altdorf.

The best I can hope for at this point is holding Reikland and that Kislev's wars got it militarized enough to delay Chaos until Franz can finish in the South. Or that Bretonnia somehow magically comes riding to the rescue Rohan-style, but when have they ever been useful?

Moral of the story: fuck diplomacy. I should have gone full Ghengis Franz from the start and forced everyone to be buddies at swordpoint.

Icefire1424

Haven't picked it up yet, but I'm sure I will. Anything that builds up my Empire Army.

I really like that they are taking some of the iconic units and lore from the 8th Edition of Warhammer. I played the tabletop game casually back in high school, and Total War is bringing some of the memories back from those games. I'm sure the DLC that will eventually be released for this game is going to be excessive (and pricey), but I do see this as a game I'll be playing for a long, long time. And besides, still MUCH cheaper than the miniatures ever were.

Palmer_v1

My only issue with this DLC is deciding if I should do another VC or another Empire playthrough.

Probably VC. They were the last faction I played on Normal.

karnage10

Banned
Oh yay had no idea about Vlad! Finally a VC lord that I want to play.

My only issue with this DLC is deciding if I should do another VC or another Empire playthrough.

Probably VC. They were the last faction I played on Normal.

I'm also probably doing another VC campaign. Blood knights + regiments of renown + the new chariots+ ghorst + VLAD should be enough content to make the playthrough very different!

Turn 33
- Finally eliminated the Empire Secessionists and reunited all of Reikland. Beastmen were eliminated a bit ago too, so that's a plus, since both factions were the two biggest aggressors I was facing.

Turn 34
- A few turns back there was a rebellion in Altdorf and the city was encircled by the rebellion. Franz was trapped there since he was recuperating. With the Secessionists out of the way, I brought my army back to wipe out the rebels and save the city. I had them outnumbered 5:1 or something ridiculous like that. Was basically a mop up operation. I should have had it in the bag, but the lord of my main army, a dude I believe named Karl Blaze, broke too far ahead and got himself killed. Even though I only lost like 50 troops in the whole battle, I consider it a loss since he was my most powerful lord (Franz has spent most of the campaign dead)

Never played a Total War game before but I got TW: Warhammer free with my MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium Motherboard. I used to play Warhammer a lot back in the day, so I'm looking forward to getting into this game.

Always enjoyed the lore of Warhammer, how are the story / campaigns in the game ?

Never played a Total War game before but I got TW: Warhammer free with my MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium Motherboard. I used to play Warhammer a lot back in the day, so I'm looking forward to getting into this game.

Always enjoyed the lore of Warhammer, how are the story / campaigns in the game ?

There are two campaigns currently--the Grand Campaign that every faction takes part in, a part of the base game, and the Beastmen "Eye for an Eye" campaign that is exclusive to their DLC pack. The former is the core of the singleplayer experience, and it's all about conquest. What little story is there is little more than flavour text happening around the gameplay. But it's really well done; in the Grand Campaign, no matter what faction you play, it will feel like its own thing due to the huge factional differences that emphasize and/or restrict playstyles in very cool ways.

Brief faction summary:
  • The Empire are average all-arounders with no particular weakness and a huge amount of versatility, but they rely heavily on diplomacy to reach their full potential. They can field many powerful heroes, more than any other faction. They bear the brunt of Chaos' invasion, particularly from the scattered Norsca tribes across the Northern sea.
  • The Vampire Counts lack ranged units but are able to resurrect vast armies at a whim, making them an unpredictable and constant threat; not to mention, their constant, creeping corruption spreading from their territory and weakening the living. Skilled at diplomacy and ever-flexible in their options, they can ally with and betray their neighbours as suits their advantage--they can even get along with Chaos, if need be. Anything to spread their deathless touch.
  • The Dwarves sit in their mountains and keep tabs on those that slight them, unable to claim Human or VC land, and have powerful ranged and melee units that give them something to spend their vast riches on... and they'll need it, for the Greenskin hordes are a constant threat to the Dwarves, as well as everyone else; not to mention the eventual Chaos invasion.
  • The Greenskins, vast in number and strength, are constantly spilling out into neighbouring lands for plunder and destruction, are themselves prone to in-fighting that weakens their ranks and limits their potential. Incapable of diplomacy with most other factions, they are tasked with unifying their lands by force, to crusade against the Dwarves, the Humans, and heck, everyone else! The End Times be waaagh!
  • The final two factions, both paid DLC if you want to play them, are entwined a bit; Chaos and their Beastmen are late-game and early-game threats, respectively. They are factions that must be planned around and actively campaigned against, lest Chaos' invasion catch the world unprepared. But playing as them, the world is their oyster: they are tasked with destroying as much as possible in vastly different ways. Both lack cities, but the Beastmen are ambushers, waxing and waning in strength just like their dark moon, while their Chaos masters are a tidal wave of strength that needs only time to build itself up into an unstoppable force, firstly by enthralling the Norsca tribes, patting their Beastmen thralls on the head, and then marching on all others.

I can definitively say that Total Warhammer is really fun!

There are two campaigns currently--the Grand Campaign that every faction takes part in, a part of the base game, and the Beastmen "Eye for an Eye" campaign that is exclusive to their DLC pack. The former is the core of the singleplayer experience, and it's all about conquest. What little story is there is little more than flavour text happening around the gameplay. But it's really well done; in the Grand Campaign, no matter what faction you play, it will feel like its own thing due to the huge factional differences that emphasize and/or restrict playstyles in very cool ways.

Brief faction summary:
  • The Empire are average all-arounders with no particular weakness and a huge amount of versatility, but they rely heavily on diplomacy to reach their full potential. They can field many powerful heroes, more than any other faction. They bear the brunt of Chaos' invasion, particularly from the scattered Norsca tribes across the Northern sea.
  • The Vampire Counts lack ranged units but are able to resurrect vast armies at a whim, making them an unpredictable and constant threat; not to mention, their constant, creeping corruption spreading from their territory and weakening the living. Skilled at diplomacy and ever-flexible in their options, they can ally with and betray their neighbours as suits their advantage--they can even get along with Chaos, if need be. Anything to spread their deathless touch.
  • The Dwarves sit in their mountains and keep tabs on those that slight them, unable to claim Human or VC land, and have powerful ranged and melee units that give them something to spend their vast riches on... and they'll need it, for the Greenskin hordes are a constant threat to the Dwarves, as well as everyone else; not to mention the eventual Chaos invasion.
  • The Greenskins, vast in number and strength, are constantly spilling out into neighbouring lands for plunder and destruction, are themselves prone to in-fighting that weakens their ranks and limits their potential. Incapable of diplomacy with most other factions, they are tasked with unifying their lands by force, to crusade against the Dwarves, the Humans, and heck, everyone else! The End Times be waaagh!
  • The final two factions, both paid DLC if you want to play them, are entwined a bit; Chaos and their Beastmen are late-game and early-game threats, respectively. They are factions that must be planned around and actively campaigned against, lest Chaos' invasion catch the world unprepared. But playing as them, the world is their oyster: they are tasked with destroying as much as possible in vastly different ways. Both lack cities, but the Beastmen are ambushers, waxing and waning in strength just like their dark moon, while their Chaos masters are a tidal wave of strength that needs only time to build itself up into an unstoppable force, firstly by enthralling the Norsca tribes, patting their Beastmen thralls on the head, and then marching on all others.

I can definitively say that Total Warhammer is really fun!

Thanks, will probably start it at the weekend when I have more time to sink into it but it sounds good.

casiopao

Guys question here. I am thinking of getting this game but i am noob on modding things.

This one is not like the previous Total War which is soo buggy that is not funny right?

And, considering i had zero knowledge on Warhammer series, is there anything i should know first other than the Orc being batshit assholes?^_^

Guys question here. I am thinking of getting this game but i am noob on modding things.

This one is not like the previous Total War which is soo buggy that is not funny right?

And, considering i had zero knowledge on Warhammer series, is there anything i should know first other than the Orc being batshit assholes?^_^
The worst bug around launch was a vsync tearing issue that's since been fixed. Don't think there was anything major beyond that. Since then, it's been balance and polish patches, with some new free content ("FreeLC," but don't call it that for the love of all that's (un)holy.) coinciding with DLC releases.

As far as the factions... Greenskins waaagh. Humans fight. Vampires despoil. Dwarves begrudge. Beastmen raid. And Chaos ruins all. In short, everyone kinda sucks.

Some gameplay tips:
  • My biggest general tip for the Grand Campaign would be to save often. The strategic AI isn't anything special, while the battlefield AI is incredibly cunning. Early on, either through ill-planning or an enemy's surprise, you'll probably reach a game over in your first 50 turns. With some back-up saves, you can roll back and learn from your mistakes without needing to start over again.
  • Second biggest tip is, keep your cities in order. Rebellions waste time and resources, and can cripple supply lines if they spread... so avoid them entirely by spending some wealth on walls and order buildings; they are some of the best investments in the game if you want to hold large territories...
  • ...which ties directly into the third tip, and arguably the most important: don't over-recruit lords to lead your armies. A good rule of thumb is, if you feel like you need more, you probably have enough. Recruiting too many will cripple your budget--and you will need a healthy surplus to keep infrastructure and tech level at par with your enemies. With cities kept in order, you can field armies only where you need them, rather than where they might be needed.

Top Bottom