• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is a good counter to chaos war wagon things?

Is there anywhere I can see what good counters for enemy units are?

Klyka

Banned
What is a good counter to chaos war wagon things?

Is there anywhere I can see what good counters for enemy units are?

chariots are always anti infantry. That means they are bad against units larger than infantry, like monsters or cavalry.
They also have a hard time against infantry that does anti large damage like say halberdiers.
spearmen can be ok as well.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, what is a good counter for mounted ranged units? Those things are so annoying. Nothing can catch them. And for some reason whenever I set my mounted ranged units to "skirmish" the CPU seems to smash them immediately.

Chariots are basically supercavalry, with all the weaknesses that entails. I generally just send a lord or hero their way, though.

For ranged cavalry, you'll want melee cavalry of your own, or other fast units. Ranged cavalry has, in general at least, bad morale and will rout almost instantly in melee.

The skirmish AI setting has a big delay, so if something fast like cavalry is going for them, they won't avoid it in time. Skirmish isn't very handy overall--I either find them sitting out of range or getting engaged in melee once I stop paying attention to them.

Icefire1424

I think there is more of a "story" in this game than any of the other Total War games, but as mentioned, the story is more of what you make of the campaign. There are events that occur which are beyond the control of the player, which dramatically alter the course of the game, and necessitate some pretty important decisions. The first time I experienced the "event" mentioned, it really led to some really tense moments, and a sense of desperation as to what was coming.

It's quite a bit different from Empire: Total War for example, as I felt that was more of a blank canvas for storytelling. Shogun 2 had a bit of a story element with the realm divide, but I think Warhammer has much more of a narrative than that.

A quick question, how is the story in the campaign ?

I only played Total War: Rome, but despite coming back to the campaign day after day, it never really clicked, it was all about conquering the world -which is a cool fantasy- but there was no story. I know Total War is a totally different beat to games like Warcraft, Starcraft, or Warhammer 40K, but I figured maybe Warhammer is different.

So my question, Is there some sort of story going on in the campaign, will I feel engaged or something by what is happening ?, or how does the campaign handle ?

Rome 2?

The blueprint of the series is the same, the sandbox nature has not changed and this title is not the exception

you have race specific campaign requirement to win the game, lord specific quests based on lore and , at the moment, a mini campaign for Beastmen ( similar to Wrath of Sparta for Rome 2)

cut the last part, maybe can be considered spoiler

There is no story.
There are legendary lord specific quests with story text but they just lead to unique items.

The story is what you make of it.

There is quest battles for the legendary lords and then some stuff when Chaos arrives.

Rome 2?

The blueprint of the series is the same, the sandbox nature has not changed and this title is not the exception

you have race specific campaign requirement to win the game, lord specific quests based on lore and , at the moment, a mini campaign for Beastmen ( similar to Wrath of Sparta for Rome 2)

cut the last part, maybe can be considered spoiler
Thanks alot Gaffers, that really helps.
I think there is more of a "story" in this game than any of the other Total War games, but as mentioned, the story is more of what you make of the campaign. There are events that occur which are beyond the control of the player, which dramatically alter the course of the game, and necessitate some pretty important decisions. The first time I experienced the "event" mentioned, it really led to some really tense moments, and a sense of desperation as to what was coming.

It's quite a bit different from Empire: Total War for example, as I felt that was more of a blank canvas for storytelling. Shogun 2 had a bit of a story element with the realm divide, but I think Warhammer has much more of a narrative than that.
I see, maybe I need to try it, after all I am having a hard time resisting the temptation of controlling an undead army.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Chariots are basically supercavalry, with all the weaknesses that entails. I generally just send a lord or hero their way, though.

For ranged cavalry, you'll want melee cavalry of your own, or other fast units. Ranged cavalry has, in general at least, bad morale and will rout almost instantly in melee.

The skirmish AI setting has a big delay, so if something fast like cavalry is going for them, they won't avoid it in time. Skirmish isn't very handy overall--I either find them sitting out of range or getting engaged in melee once I stop paying attention to them.

So if the skirmish AI is bad, that pretty much makes mounted ranged units useless. Unless I'm missing a way to have them behave as well as the AI enemy uses them without constant micromanagement.

So if the skirmish AI is bad, that pretty much makes mounted ranged units useless. Unless I'm missing a way to have them behave as well as the AI enemy uses them without constant micromanagement.
Well, the difference is that the AI is always micromanaging. CA knocked the battlefield AI out of the park in this one--you will see it very intelligently try to outmaneuver your army composition, taking good defensive spots and flanking whenever possible. It's very well done.

And as far as ranged cavalry, yeah, they're weak against their direct counter (cavalry) but are otherwise powerful flanking tools. The skirmish thing of them getting caught happens when they're also flanked (avoidable unless it's cavalry) or hit by a cavalry charge (which they can outrun if they're already moving). It's a small matter of paying attention to them to maximize their potential.

Now, to be clear: you really don't want to face ranged cavalry without cavalry of your own. They'll almost certainly run out of ammo before you can get close to them, unless you manage to flank them.

Heh, I may have to start doing this. Even if my Empire lords do have a tendency to...well, die.

...always seem to be the Level 1 or 2 Lords too. The ones I keep well off the front lines defending some backwater Provence with a handful of troops, until some faction gets all uppity, declares war on a whim and mashes said Lord into a fine pulp.

That's the fun. Then when your friends want updates on their character you can tell them how they fought to the last man in a heroic last stand or fled like a coward. I try to ask my friends what I should do with their characters if certain events require decisions or during battles. I named a unit of minotaurs after my friend and he was confident enough in them that he had me send them at the city walls by themselves. It was pretty much a massacre and they were wiped out lol. All in good fun.

I think someone earlier in the thread was doing this with viewers on their stream which I thought was a cool idea.

Icefire1424

I see, maybe I need to try it, after all I am having a hard time resisting the temptation of controlling an undead army.

I posted this on another thread, but I think this is a pretty good example of a "story" from my current playthough. I'll spoiler it as there are a few mentions of the events which occur in game, but this is exactly why I've come to love the game as much as I do.

Apologies for the novel, but had one hell of a weekend in this game.

...my skirmish with the Dwarves that coincided with the start of the Chaos Invasion event ended with the Dwarves and I agreeing to a truce. While I ended up losing no territory from the conflict, an Empire Lord and his army were killed, and the Dwarves lost a couple Lords and many troops. The conflict hurt us both.

We found peace through a common enemy, the Chaos wave that was now pushing in from the North. Many of the Northern territories fell, with many settlements now Ruins, and factions being eliminated almost every turn. The invasion resulted in many renewed Alliances, including an unlikely one between the Empire (me) and the Dwarves I was previously at war with. Through combined force, the Allies managed to hold the first few Chaos forces, although too late for several unfortunate Empire AI factions. As the Chaos wave subsided however, a new unexpected threat would emerge.

To the Southeast, the Vampire Counts struck suddenly, attacking one of my settlements. Not expecting an attack there, my Lord and his small army were killed, and the settlement pillaged. Three VC armies were to blame, one led by a level 20 Lord. For the second time during my campaign, I was caught completely off guard by a rogue faction. The attack left me reeling, and forced me to recall Karl Franz from his crusade against Chaos, and establish another army to replace the one that was just killed. Recalling quickly, I reinforced the area to prevent another attack, keeping the VC at bay. Several turns passed, and without further conflict, we were able to come to a truce.

And the timing actually worked in my favor this time around. Just as a truce with the VC was reached, the End Times occurred. A massive Chaos push from the North, led by Legendary Lord Archaeon the Everchosen, and a second, equally powerful Lord. Still Allied with man and Dwarf alike, we threw everything we had at the approaching threat, both armies and agents. My agents did considerable damage, my Witch Hunter assassinating many of the less experienced Chaos Lords, and an Empire Captain assaulting the units of their armies, whittling them down. Chaos continued to push to the South, but they were taking damage. One army managed to slip in to my borders and destroy a settlement, but he was quickly taken out, and the settlement restored. It appeared the realm of men had the Chaos invasion well in hand. It would just be a matter of time before Archaeon and his allies fell to the push.

But the Dwarves are stubborn, and hold on to grudges. Despite the threat from the North, the conflict between Dwarf and Vampire Count reached a breaking point, the former declaring war on the latter. As an ally of the Dwarf, I was called to aid, and at the risk of losing a valuable alliance, agreed to joining on his side. I couldn't imagine the VC's attacking me again, especially since a rather large Dwarven army already wanted them dead.

I was mistaken. Within a turn, the VC armies struck again, targeting and killing a lesser Empire Lord and his army, before scampering away to face the Dwarven threat. This time however, I wouldn't take it sitting down. To the North, the Empire struck a critical blow - my Witch Hunter wounding Archaeon, putting the Chaos armies into full retreat, with a mass of humanity at their heels. Threat mitigated, Karl Franz and his army marched to engage the VC's, along with another battle hardened Empire Army. Taking advantage of the distracted VC's, the Empire struck at the heart of their territory, taking one of their Regions and securing a new Provence for the Empire. The Dwarves did their part too, hurting the VC's and sending them deeper into their territory. Though was still loomed, the VC's were wounded.

Already far to the Southeast, Karl Franz and his army moved to engage the Greenskins, in pursuit of a legendary weapon that would be instrumental in defending his people. Having taken a new Provence, the 2nd Empire army disbanded half their forces, confident the VC's wouldn't press the attack. Especially knowing Franz was only a few miles away, and ready to be recalled at a moments notice.

But the Vampire Counts are stubborn as well, and didn't take the loss of their lands kindly. Reinforcing quickly, three VC armies moved to reclaim their lost land, attacking the depleted Empire force. Outnumbered nearly 2 to 1, the Empire troops took to the battlefield, in what would become a battle to be retold for centuries.

Although outnumbered, the Empire fielded superior troops and weapons, the VC's relying on a massive hoarde of skeleton and zombie warriors. As the battle lines drew closer, the Empire Outriders harassed the foe, making hit and run strikes with their rifles, before retreating on horseback to strike again. Mortars roared, lobbing shell after shell into ghoulish rank, splintering bone and ripping flesh. Once in range, the Empire Handgunners opened up into the wave of death, while mounted knights crashed into the rear of the columns. And leading the undead was a ranked 23 Legendary Lord, seeking vengeance against the realm of human.

The lines crashed together with explosive force, Empire Halberds and Greatswords chopping down an endless number of undead, while more reinforcements came to engage the Empire's troops. Mortar continued to bellow, staying just out of conflict, while the Outriders continued to harass. The number of dead on both sides grew, and their leaders of their armies fought to maintain order, until an Empire Captain saw the enemy Lord fighting among his troops. The Captain charged, followed by several of his brethren to bring the unholy leader down. Steel clashed, and the death toll continued to rise until the Captain landed a fatal blow, nearly cleaving the Vampire Lord in two.

The response was immediate. Several troops of undead, no longer bound by their master, simply crumbled to dust, while many others lost the will to fight and started to flee. The Empire pressed the attack, killing all who stood against them, and chasing down the fleeing to put them to the sword. It was a massacre. As the roar of the battle subsided, the carnage was indescribable. Thousands of corpses littered the battlefield, both human and undead alike. But among the dead, a few humans stood, bloodied, battered and wounded. But they had won. The cost was immense, but the Empire had delivered a blow the VC armies would not be able to recover from this time. Their Lord had fallen. This would be the beginning of the end of the Vampire Counts. This land belonged to the Empire.

tl : dr: Made peace with the Dwarves, allied with them and the other humans to withstand the Chaos invasion. Survived the initial Chaos assaults, but was attacked by the Vampire Counts. Came to a truce with VC, just in time for the End Times event. Survived the End Times, but ended up in war against the Vampire Counts. Took VC settlement, VC counterattacked, won a victory against a VC army while outnumbered 2 to 1, killing their Legendary Lord in the process.

I'm ready to see some ELVES.

I haven't fell in love with the Empire yet though I had some really great Pyrrhic victories. I love the clash between two armies where the entire battle can hinge on one unit slamming into the flank or one last volley routing flanking cavalry at a key moment. It was amazing, I would have units that were returning to the battle charge into a flank just to break the morale of the enemy before they started retreating again. It was pretty dramatic. Lots of sacrifices, valiant defenses, fighting to the last man. All in one massive battle.

karnage10

Banned
Looks like there is a new free lord for the dwarves coming to the next White Dwarf.
It's Grimbrindral

I'm not sure it's free. From what i read on reddit it seems to be a free "exclusive" lord for the people that buy the WD magazine. I hope that for those that don't buy said magazine can either get it as payed DLC or a FLC later down the line.
I'd hate to have to buy a code out of ebay to have the game "complete".

I just wanted to post a quick response to say that the counter to ranged cavalry is ranged infantry, not cavalry.
Cavalry will get kited to death.
Ranged cavalry have big hit boxes and low armour, and usually less range than ranged infantry. Just be careful to have a cheap spear unit in support, since ranged cavalry can usually beat ranged infantry if they switch to mêlée and charge.

I'm not sure it's free. From what i read on reddit it seems to be a free "exclusive" lord for the people that buy the WD magazine. I hope that for those that don't buy said magazine can either get it as payed DLC or a FLC later down the line.
I'd hate to have to buy a code out of ebay to have the game "complete".
That is what it seems to me. I hope that it comes out on Steam on a later date.

karnage10

Banned
I just wanted to post a quick response to say that the counter to ranged cavalry is ranged infantry, not cavalry.
Ranged cavalry have big hit boxes and low armour, and usually less range than ranged infantry. Just be careful to have a cheap spear unit in support, since ranged cavalry can usually beat ranged infantry if they switch to mêlée and charge.

a good way to also deal with ranged cavalry is magic, light(?) wizards have a spell that can keep them in place, death (?) wizards have the fate of bjuna spell that deals heavy damage,etc.
If you use magic + ranged infantry you should do quick work of those cavalries, that said i normally ignore most of ranged cavalry as it deals very little damage when compared to the enemy Lord or monster infantry; the only concern i have is the morale penalty my troops get for being under missile fire so I prefer to move a hero to the flanks so that my units don't rout.
Normally i use my missile infantry like:
wavering units>Monster infantry > cavalry (if in range) > hero > Lord.

ranged units, flying units, magic, units faster than them (i'm not sure if there are any), artillery or just throw an expandable unit at them and let them kite until you crush their army

when the game was released army composition was all over the place (aka almost a full stack of ranged cavalry), if it's still like that use a mod or simulate the battle

karnage10

Banned
ranged units, flying units, magic, units faster than them (i'm not sure if there are any), artillery or just throw an expandable unit at them and let them kite until you crush their army

when the game was released army composition was all over the place (aka almost a full stack of ranged cavalry), if it's still like that use a mod or simulate the battle

Currently the AI works and can keep the stacks varied (it still rarely uses tier 4/5 units) unless 1 thing happens:
1) loses most of the military provinces.
From my experience the AI doesn't "demo" the buildings to rebuild, as such if the AI loses 2/3 provinces the chance is that it lost the "advanced" military buildings so it resorts to build their armies in the other provinces; that leads to the stack having a very repetitive composition.

If What i saw is the cause of the AI "derping" their stacks, CA should make tier 1/2 base city capable of recruiting a base army.

You're a genius! omg

Icefire1424

Bretonia can kiss my ass. We've been allied the entire game, and only now do you get all hostile and declare war on one of my Empire allies, pulling me into that conflict. Not only that, but then you go and decide to attack one of my lesser defended settlements in the Reiksland, taking it for yourself. Well, what's to follow is on your head. Just recalled Franz to take back that settlement you just took, and while I'm at it, I think I'm going to keep him back there and cause an ungodly amount of ruckus with your settlements.

Hehe. Vengeance is sweet.

valouris

I just got a new system that can run this game, but I missed all the impressions when it first came out. How does it stand as a total war game? I am not at all a warhammer fan, but a fantasy total war game seems very interesting. I was very underwhelmed by Rome II, does this suffer from the same pathologies? Shogun 2 and Rome 1, Medieval 1,2 were by far my favourite ones of the series.

I just got a new system that can run this game, but I missed all the impressions when it first came out. How does it stand as a total war game? I am not at all a warhammer fan, but a fantasy total war game seems very interesting. I was very underwhelmed by Rome II, does this suffer from the same pathologies? Shogun 2 and Rome 1, Medieval 1,2 were by far my favourite ones of the series.

I've only really played Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, but I've found that Total Warhammer makes turn-to-turn decisions straightforward for any one faction compared to the other games, since there is very little diplomacy and less empire management, but uses this extra space to empower the different factions and the battles they fight in. The biggest change is how absolutely divergent each faction is; choosing one is the biggest choice you can make in the game, deciding not only your goals, but also how you play, who you fight, and what you can actually do on the battlefield.

Seriously, they knocked faction identity out of the park, with distinct playstyles for each one, infusing a variety into the Grand Campaign that I don't think any other Total War game has had. I'd highly recommend it if you have any interest in Total War, Warhammer, or strategy games whatsoever.

valouris

I've only really played Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, but I've found that Total Warhammer makes turn-to-turn decisions straightforward for any one faction compared to the other games, since there is very little diplomacy and less empire management, but uses this extra space to empower the different factions and the battles they fight in. The biggest change is how absolutely divergent each faction is; choosing one is the biggest choice you can make in the game, deciding not only your goals, but also how you play, who you fight, and what you can actually do on the battlefield.

Seriously, they knocked faction identity out of the park, with distinct playstyles for each one, infusing a variety into the Grand Campaign that I don't think any other Total War game has had. I'd highly recommend it if you have any interest in Total War, Warhammer, or strategy games whatsoever.

This sounds quite good, I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

Lister

Banned

I was in the same boat. Loved the series, knew and cared nothign about Warhammer.

This is hands down my favorite Total War Title to date. Even eclipsing original ROME for me.

I really hope they manage to bring some of the incredible indentiy of the factions back to the historical titles.

I forgot to mention, Total Warhammer's battlefield AI is fantastic. It takes full advantage of their all factions and is really impressive overall. (I don't actually remember how it was in older titles, but you'll often see stuff like two-pronged attacks defensive repositioning, intelligent use of skirmish, taking the high ground--using everything they can to win.)
I was in the same boat. Loved the series, knew and cared nothign about Warhammer.

This is hands down my favorite Warhammer Title to date. Even eclipsing original ROME for me.

I really hope they manage to bring some of the incredible indentiy of the factions back to the historical titles.

Yeah, I hope for the same. The whole structure of Total Warhammer is just a lot more fun to me, giving plenty of reasons to replay the campaign, which I love.

Like, I enjoy the deeper diplomatic, infrastructure, and logistical stuff in the other titles, but I feel like there's very little room for error, with choices made seasons ago dooming me later on. Might just be because I'm bad, but the brisker pace of Total Warhammer I find a lot more fun to actually play.

Icefire1424

Days late, but this is my favorite Total War game by miles. I've played Rome, Empire, Shogun 2 and Rome 2, but the setting or Warhammer just does it for me. Total War was made for a setting like Warhammer.

That aside, I agree that the land battles feel so much more polished, and challenging this time around. The armies actually feel threatening, and will actively try to engage you where you are weakest. I cringe before a fight with Bretonnia, because I know I'll have to deal with knights flanking all over the place, and micromanaging that will be a beast.

welp, TW profile twitted this an hour ago

And for everyone else, who may be feeling a little green, don't worry if you've come up short - the week isn't quite over yet...

looks like regiments of renown + other things for Dwarves and Orks

edit: dunno about RoR, people are talking about 1hero, 1 lore and 2 legendary lords

Icefire1424

The momentum of post-release content was quite good until recently. Hopefully that means the next DLC will be quite meaty.

I dunno, considering my first "real" playthrough just went over 250 turns, the timing of all this is working in my favor.

Curious what DLC armies will eventually be released for this game. Wood Elves seem to be a given, but I'm going with Skaven, High Elves and Lizardmen as the others, maybe?

...or maybe those are just the ones I'm hoping for. Either way. More armies please.

they just tweeted this

Cue9c6eWYAAU4P5.jpg:large

maybe some lore expert can chime in, i'm clueless

It's just another hint towards the Grudge and the Green, to go along with the Grim and the Grave.

These 4G's are, of course, leading up to the fifth G: Green (Wood) Elves!
I dunno, considering my first "real" playthrough just went over 250 turns, the timing of all this is working in my favor.

Curious what DLC armies will eventually be released for this game. Wood Elves seem to be a given, but I'm going with Skaven, High Elves and Lizardmen as the others, maybe?

...or maybe those are just the ones I'm hoping for. Either way. More armies please.

The DLC leak a while back has been a tantalising look into the future.

Some stuff has probably changed in the long term, but it's been spot on for the first wave of DLC.

Icefire1424

It's just another hint towards the Grudge and the Green, to go along with the Grim and the Grave.

Some stuff has probably changed in the long term, but it's been spot on for the first wave of DLC.

Ah, good find. I missed this the first time around.

If accurate, this is quite a bit more than I would have expected. Awesome!

Man, if this leak is accurate I'll be so happy! Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves. Those were my top 5 wishes for this game's DLC additions, so I'll finally be buying a copy when the first expansion is out =)

Yeah, I'm also super hyped for the faction DLCs.

It's kinda surreal having something with a scope only mods normally have becoming its own full-fledged game. It's also really cool.
Honest opinions - how is the game for someone that has never ever played a Totalwar game?

So long as you have an interest in strategy games, both turn-based and real-time, I think a lot of fun can be had. Knowledge of Warhammer lore isn't necessary, and previous Total War games are almost a different beast due to some of Total Warhammer's specific tweaks to the formula. The most basic thing this one has over the others is a better UI and refined gameplay (although I'm basing this on the only other TW game I've played recently, Shogun 2).

Now... while I'd normally recommend getting Total Warhammer if you're at all interested, I'd actually suggest waiting until later this month before buying it. Steam will most likely have a storewide sale that'll put it at 25-33% off for the base game; it isn't guaranteed, but I find it very likely.

chiliboy

In the previous pages someone asked the same question and the answers were numerous and really helpful

Ah, thank you - will check that out :)

Yeah, I'm also super hyped for the faction DLCs.

It's kinda surreal having something with a scope only mods normally have becoming its own full-fledged game. It's also really cool.

So long as you have an interest in strategy games, both turn-based and real-time, I think a lot of fun can be had. Knowledge of Warhammer lore isn't necessary, and previous Total War games are almost a different beast due to some of Total Warhammer's specific tweaks to the formula. The most basic thing this one has over the others is a better UI and refined gameplay (although I'm basing this on the only other TW game I've played recently, Shogun 2).

Now... while I'd normally recommend getting Total Warhammer if you're at all interested, I'd actually suggest waiting until later this month before buying it. Steam will most likely have a storewide sale that'll put it at 25-33% off for the base game; it isn't guaranteed, but I find it very likely.

Thank you for for the answer :) Will put it on my wishlist then on Steam!
Im a huge fan of the Warhammer universe!

Top Bottom