• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

karnage10

Banned
I've just gone bankrupt with the new dwarf clan after a dumb confederation

Sometimes i'm not sure if i understand trade in this game

I'd bet you went bankrupt because when you confederated you got 1/2 new armies, that and you probably didn't had karak eight peaks so each of those armies has a +50% upkeep.
Just disband the armies and you should have a much higher income.
What are your doubts in the trade? i'm not a very knowledgeable player but maybe i can help because of my "stupid" amount of experience in total war ( i have around 100h in each instalment of total war).

karnage10

Banned
Did you figure out how to get to 8 peaks without getting bankrupt?

I'm playing on VH, i haven't reached 8 peak yet but i'm closed. very summarily my campaign went like this:
- first i captured the home province, recruited just some 3-4 warriors
- buildings for money, tech for +diplo so that i can get money from non-agression packs/military access, built tier 1 building for rangers, recruited some of those to make my stack at around 15 units. the moon tribe conquered the dwarf faction. a
- I moved to conquer crocked moon, very hard battle against the aranarok spider, managed to conquer their provinces and wipe them out. alliance with tilea, dwarfs, zhufbar, estalia, border princes.
- Lost 2 minor cities in home province because of both rebels and the faction that controls 8 peaks, sent allies against the "red hand" (not sure what is called)
- reconquered those cities and confederated with the dwarf faction near me, disbanded their armies (got around 3200 income)
- moved to conquer barak var, hard battle against the dancing ork; then conquered the rest of the minor cities
-greenskins confederate with the "red hand", currently waiting to replenish troops to make an attack to conquer karak eight peaks (the dwarfs hold black crag province) and for the minor settlements to have tier 2 defense building

The plan right now is to distract the GS with my allies to be able to conquer karak eight peaks, after i have it the reduce in upkeep should allow me to recruit an army to defend my lands if the GS look to them.
I have won most battles because the ghost heros are OP, they are really really strong.

I'd bet you went bankrupt because when you confederated you got 1/2 new armies, that and you probably didn't had karak eight peaks so each of those armies has a +50% upkeep.
Just disband the armies and you should have a much higher income.
What are your doubts in the trade? i'm not a very knowledgeable player but maybe i can help because of my "stupid" amount of experience in total war ( i have around 100h in each instalment of total war).

Yeah the upkeep

Thing is i needed those armies to defend the cities to expand the trade agreements with all the bretonnian factions but fucking musillion had three stacks against me

Meanwhile the ork faction between border prince and you razed one of the city of your first province crippling my income even more

And three orks factions around Karak eight began to raid and pillage everything, dwarfs were wiped out, empire was a vassal of Middenland

When it rains it pours

Gotta love total war

I'm playing on VH, i haven't reached 8 peak yet but i'm closed. very summarily my campaign went like this:
- first i captured the home province, recruited just some 3-4 warriors
- buildings for money, tech for +diplo so that i can get money from non-agression packs/military access, built tier 1 building for rangers, recruited some of those to make my stack at around 15 units. the moon tribe conquered the dwarf faction. a
- I moved to conquer crocked moon, very hard battle against the aranarok spider, managed to conquer their provinces and wipe them out. alliance with tilea, dwarfs, zhufbar, estalia, border princes.
- Lost 2 minor cities in home province because of both rebels and the faction that controls 8 peaks, sent allies against the "red hand" (not sure what is called)
- reconquered those cities and confederated with the dwarf faction near me, disbanded their armies (got around 3200 income)
- moved to conquer barak var, hard battle against the dancing ork; then conquered the rest of the minor cities
-greenskins confederate with the "red hand", currently waiting to replenish troops to make an attack to conquer karak eight peaks (the dwarfs hold black crag province) and for the minor settlements to have tier 2 defense building

The plan right now is to distract the GS with my allies to be able to conquer karak eight peaks, after i have it the reduce in upkeep should allow me to recruit an army to defend my lands if the GS look to them.
I have won most battles because the ghost heros are OP, they are really really strong.
Thanks for the advice man.

karnage10

Banned
Yeah the upkeep

Thing is i needed those armies to defend the cities to expand the trade agreements with all the bretonnian factions but fucking musillion had three stacks against me

Meanwhile the ork faction between border prince and you razed one of the city of your first province crippling my income even more

And three orks factions around Karak eight began to raid and pillage everything, dwarfs were wiped out, empire was a vassal of Middenland

When it rains it pours

Gotta love total war

I feel trade in warhammer is just a bonus and not worth pursuing much, you generaly get 200-500/trade which is less then a tool building at tier 3.
I feel you should only confederate if you are expanding to a safe haven.
As the new clan you can help the dwarves by befriending both other dwarfs and most importantly both tilea and border princes. If these last 2 factions get into war with 1 faction of greenskins you can mark ill defended cities for them to raze, giving you enough time to deal with the goblin moon clan.
That said if the VC decide to wipe out zhufbar/dwarfs then you are pretty much screwed because for some reason empire never manages to grow fast enough to bring the fight against the VC.

Thanks for the advice man.

If there's anything i can do to help feel free to ask!
a further head's up, karaz 8 peaks takes like 24 turns to win by siege.

Lord Phol

Hadn't played this in awhile, felt the itch, went back to my human campaign and completed that. So that's 3 done so far (dwarfs, greenskin and empire), and the game is still fun. It's pretty crazy how much content there is now with all the dlc, though I also find it kind of confusing since all of them seem to be handeled differently (Beastmen having its own campaign, some lords getting new starting points while others don't and now with the new factions). Still waiting for elves and/or a bundle deal before going all in.

So this guy has been on the store for a few days, a LL available only through GW shops physically. Available in issues of a GW mag or in the shops (although oddly, the latter is 100% free), and it comes with a -25% coupon for Total Warhammer that they encourage people to trade with others.

Kind of bums me out that they're doing this instead of just making it free on Steam. So weird. (Edit: Oh, derp, they mention it'll be on Steam in 2017, for free.)

On the bright side, keep an eye out for coupons if you're looking for a deal, I guess.

Anyone else bored with the Warhammer Fantasy setting? I'm craving a Medieval III or World War I Total War.

WWI Total War would be kinda boring, wouldn't it? Considering how much of it was spent at a total stalemate.

I'm happy with WHF. Still lots of ground to cover. Lizardmen and Tomb Kings are at the top of my list.

prudislav

Well TW Warhammer is supposed to have 10 year content plan , but who knows how it will be in the end as CoH2 was supposed ro have 5year plan but had only 3

prudislav

No idea honestly, as always with these heavily dlc-infected titles Iam always waiting for content conplete version. ... also the included DRM still terrifies me ( dont have good experience with the thing and devs behind it)

Icefire1424

I'm still very much into the game. Really looking forward to some new factions though. Would love to play as the Wood Elves or High Elves, and face off against hoards of Skaven. Sounds fun!

karnage10

Banned
Anyone else bored with the Warhammer Fantasy setting? I'm craving a Medieval III or World War I Total War.
CA has 6 teams working in the several games. There is a team working on a new historical title which means warhammer doesn't slow or increase the speed in which you will see a new title.

No idea honestly, as always with these heavily dlc-infected titles Iam always waiting for content conplete version. ... also the included DRM still terrifies me ( dont have good experience with the thing and devs behind it)

Right now the DRM is working and you can buy whatever DLC you want to play with. The DLC you didn't buy you still play against it. If you are waiting for a truly "complete edition" you will have to wait a long time, IMO you should just buy the base game when it has a acceptable price to you and then buy the DLC when you want to play with faction/unit X.

SAiLO

I actually can't wait to go into GW store and get the Grombrindal Steam key. There is one down the road from my work.

Wow, I didn't realise that the legendary lords they've been adding are for, like, microfactions. That's exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping for. Very pleased at this revelation.

And I'm still bummed that Grommy is locked away at retail. In-game it even mentions that he's free... just fails to mention how. The poor distinction between owned and unpurchased content is kinda annoying.

Oh well. Time to waaaagh like only savage orcs can.

Not too interested in Grom cause he looks completely OP and uses the basic dwarf stuff anyway making the campaign even easier than it already was.

Not sure if it was mentionned, but they did a teaser of wood elf related stuff coming last week on instagram(some game to win some spots for something, they haven't said what). I feel it's a bit early for them to release another DLC but who knows and wouldn't mind it at all personally. I do hope they consider splitting the campaign and the race pack if they release both like they did with beastmen though, so people who don't care about the campaign can still buy it(I'd buy both but just saying it was one major complaint about beastmen, the price tag).

As for the game doing well, they said it did so well they had to rethink some of their plans for future content. You can also see that in how the DLCs have been going too, the last one had a lot more stuff than the one right before, so I assume they're selling well enough, which probably makes the whole thing very profitable. And they might start doing sales for like winter steam sale I'd assume since they've already started with the Grim GW thing(you get the code for the LL but also a code for a price reduction on the game), which should boost sales some too.

I have to imagine that the ramped-up free content is an attempt to counteract the negative reception towards DLC pricing. I figure it'll work to an extent (particularly for new customers), but such core misgivings will never really go away.

And good to hear Wood Elves are coming up next. From the old leak the Wood Elf DLC expanded upon Bretonnia and Beastmen as well, so with CA's new expanded DLC scope it could be a pretty meaty and impressive thing, almost expansion-like, when it drops.
With a price tag to match.

You know, I'm pretty hyped for them, but I totally expected the Wood Elves to drop with the Bretonnia faction. Alas, the current rollout of CA's horribly-named FreeLC hasn't really kept pace with the DLCs the way I anticipated and now it looks like Bretonnia will drop early next year.

3047284-dlc1.jpg

I would suspect that the Brets will be the Freelc for the campaign and get more units and heroes.

an historical total war should be in development

on the other hand TWarhammer will have long legs

I believe they have a different team for historical vs. WH. WH has proven to be an amazing playground for trying out new mechanics that I can see being put to use in the historical games.

prudislav

Right now the DRM is working and you can buy whatever DLC you want to play with. The DLC you didn't buy you still play against it. If you are waiting for a truly "complete edition" you will have to wait a long time, IMO you should just buy the base game when it has a acceptable price to you and then buy the DLC when you want to play with faction/unit X.

Dont really understood what you meant by that "DRM is working" thing , the fact that there is no pirate rls has no meaning for me as potential customer ... all it is is further annoyance (have bad experience with this drm)

yeah i am wating for truly complete edition ... l i just dont like to play the non-final experiences in these days of endless dlcs and season passes and 10gb patches ...... especially after getting burned by Rome 2 and some other titles (which were beyond crap at launch but pretty good after heavy patching )

.... my interest in the game went kinda downhill because of some of their choices .... after the announcment it was instabuy at launch for me, when they announced their DLC plans i was like well 10 years of dlc is kinda overkill but will support at least base game and when DRM got revealed ... it ended up at meh maybe down the line in a sale

Good thing is I am fine with waiting ... my gaming time is very limited these days, have hundreds of unplayed games on steam and currently am slowly beating some 2015/16 indies and backlog 2008 AAAs :-D

I dunno if I'm rusty or what, but I'm finding the regular Dwarf campaign (v. hard difficulty) to be absolutely savage. There's enemies everywhere, my natural allies are due to be crushed into dust, and the Greenskins have nigh-insurmountable forces, in part due to numbers and in part due to the new DLC recruits. Gonna be very interesting when they start waaaghing.

Dwarven ranged units are knocking my socks off though. So much range and power.

Anyways, if I can manage to hunker down and build up my infrastructure and research (omg dat tech tree) while fending off the Greenskins' advances I feel that I can win. But it will be difficult with the Greenskins confederating every other turn. (Oh and I'm still on turn 10...)

The answer to all of the Dwarves' problems are Lightning Strikes, ambush skills, and copious amounts of Longbeards. All this with but a single province and a few extra settlements that I keep losing constantly...

I think I might actually be able to win this now. Having defeated Grimgor's terrifying horde, I can now push into his territory and route the rest of his forces and land. (I managed to take his home province earlier, which goaded him to march right into my home territory, to his defeat.) If I can retake his home province, he'll only have one gold mine territory left and will be defeated in short order, confederations or no.

Feeling pretty good right now.

The answer to all of the Dwarves' problems are Lightning Strikes, ambush skills, and copious amounts of Longbeards. All this with but a single province and a few extra settlements that I keep losing constantly...

I think I might actually be able to win this now. Having defeated Grimgor's terrifying horde, I can now push into his territory and route the rest of his forces and land. (I managed to take his home province earlier, which goaded him to march right into my home territory, to his defeat.) If I can retake his home province, he'll only have one gold mine territory left and will be defeated in short order, confederations or no.

I would add Quarrellers too in a army.

The Greenskins continue to crumble. Now us Dwarves are retaking the Greenskin lands in full force and only remnants remain. It has only just occurred to me that I'm going to have to fight my Dwarf allies at some point; Zhufbar especially has gained a lot of ground. Bah.

It will be good to be rid of the Greenskins once and for all. So weakened are they that they're resorting to assassination attempts to defeat my armies.
I would add Quarrellers too in a army.

I had a few units of them and some Grudge Throws (both rock), but the enemy was like 1/2 infantry, 1/2 ranged, with 1/3 cavalry one siege unit; I was really concerned about being flanked.

I didn't actually fight, just autoresolved. Haven't ended up fighting a single battle myself yet.

i don't know what difficulty you're playing but AI cheats with money, both income and upkeep

the higher the difficulty is the more it cheats (
probably broken english
)

not trying to be mr smarty pants, just sayin

It just occurred to me that every faction but Empire has received a new Lord. Poor Empire.
i don't know what difficulty you're playing but AI cheats with money, both income and upkeep

the higher the difficulty is the more it cheats (
probably broken english
)

not trying to be mr smarty pants, just sayin

I'm playing on Very Hard.
And don't worry, your English is fine!

The only difficulty-related thing that annoys me is the provincial Order buffs they get(?). I'm being completely savaged by disorder while they're sitting at 100; like, one of the Greenskins' newly-conquered cities started with 100...

Here I am chillin' with my Tier 1-3 army crushin' Greenskins and BOOM

Grave news my lord. Word is spreading across the land of a dark power rising in the northern wastes. The armies of Chaos are on the move; they surely plan to invade the world of mortals once again.

I feel unprepared; my army is in disarray from the disparate armies I'm currently fighting. If I don't get my current enemy now, they will rally and retake their lands. But if I don't fully mobilise against Chaos... nothing may remain for me to hold.

Oh, decisions...
And they spawn armies like crazy. I'm fighting one every turn it seems like.

Yeah, the speed at which they replace thier troops is staggering. There's very little downtime between stacks.

Well the advantage you hold in general over the enemy even at higher difficulties is the AI is absolute garbage at making the right buildings, and as such, the right armies. They'll still be using T1 infantry(the bad ones too not like the ok ones) and sieges with a lord speced for a mix of personnal armor and raiding increases at turn 85, because they're so dumb. Meanwhile you can either mass produces large cost efficient stacks with a lot of T1 units, a caster to buff and a lord with stats buffs for your army which costs way less and do way better than any army the AI throws at you, or you can massively stack an ultra OP T4-5 army with like only stupidly expensive units and just crush every army in lightning strike battles without barely losing health on anything every fight(as long as you don't autoresolve too much).

This is kinda how you win, and why the AI has a ton of cheats to try to keep up. They have reduced upkeep, reduced costs, increased recruitment slots, better diplomacy checks, better public order(while you suffer a penalty) and for combat stuff they have large leadership bonuses(while you suffer large penalties). And you can still crush them most of the time, because all the cheats in the world won't beat an army with 15 steam tanks/varghulfs/araknok/giants and such. Dwarfs don't have that stupid OP unit you can stack to win everything though so have to work a bit harder on them, but still.

I think the only decent armies you fight in the game are the chaos stacks, and even those aren't very optimal(but at least they're high tier).

Welp, after being eaten alive by grudges and rebellions, Archaeon & co. arrived and I'm thoroughly sunk; I can't suppress former two AND the Baersonlings. I'll have to expand more thoughtfully in the future and be more careful with confederations. I really needed a stronger infrastructure core to sustain my core army, not to mention less armies in general to keep my economy afloat. Some rookie mistakes were made.

My one other observation is that Very Hard seems easier with Horde gameplay. I can't pin down why; I guess it's mostly because of Order-related effects.

the grudge system is really punishing

luckly the AI is not smart enough to exploit it completely

in a MP campaign you can easily fill the book with a couple of agents and a couple of generals

raid / deploy for 1 turn and then run

Protip for Dwarven confederations: if you're confederating with a weakened faction, say from cross the map, make sure you can defend it before agreeing. Otherwise you're dooming yourself to unfulfillable grudges as the cities are taken, raided, or sacked by far-away foes.

They're like the only faction where you really need to consider "is this confederation worth it?" For everyone else, a small order hit is nothing next to the benefits.
the grudge system is really punishing

luckly the AI is not smart enough to exploit it completely

in a MP campaign you can easily fill the book with a couple of agents and a couple of generals

raid / deploy for 1 turn and then run

Oh geez, that's a good point. Diabolical... but clever.

Still. It's once again impressive how unique each faction is, even between two vaguely similar ones like Empire and Dwarves. Really excited to see the Wood Elves and how they mix it up.

Restarted the Dwarf campaign and, uh... I didn't realise that Mount Gunbad was so valuable. That was half of my problem in the previous campaign.

This is like my Empire game where I only got Marienburg after crushing Chaos. Pshaw.

They released some info on their new timeline and stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/p...800552028487/1226097520798779/?type=3&theater
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/5bu6da/our_freelc_array_has_been_updated_to_reflect/
The gist of it, Bretonnia the free faction is pushed back to February so it's more fleshed out(3lords, more units etc). Wood Elves are planned to be released before Christmas. More free stuff too inbetween, heroes and lores of magic and what not, the usual stuff.

I wonder if the new version of Total Warhammer will end up nuking the reviews. There's handfuls of other devs that "re-release" a game to wipe the slate clean.

Wood Elves before Christmas is excellent, though. Nice to finally have it confirmed.

Top Bottom