• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can you guys please explain how bathing works - what the benefits are, how much I should do it, etc.? Going back to the game in a few days and I want to be sure I'm not missing out on the benefits when I need them.

The benefits are randomly awarded and you need at least a Soulmate connection with an opposite sex to invite them/have bath with them without them kicking you out. Improving your relationship with them will open up more powerful skills that the game may possibly award you after bathing (with Ultimate Soulmate being the highest.)

So I tried the demo and I am almost hooked. How much group play among gafers is there?

Well I play this all the time... it seems like no one else in GAF is playing tho :/ I typically just play along with randoms.

Finishing up the SP last night... well, up until Journey's End anyways, with Phase 13 on the MP side of things. I am honestly getting kind of burned out at the fighting Oni-collecting materials-forge-fighting Oni cycle right now, especially since so many of it are RNG-based and fighting an Oni can often require 20 minutes or more at a time to finish.......

Seil

Anyone with AoD that wouldn't mind helping me finish up the last three missions of Phase 10? Did Chapter 7 Age of Demons mission and rushed through Phase 9 yesterday, gotten to this point in Phase 10 today. Want to finish the Phase 10 Age of Demons mission so I can move on to Kiwami, but NPC allies make annoying choices sometimes lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
30 hours in. This game is one of the greatest games of the year for me bar none. I can't put it down.

Hopefully there is a fully current gen-ish sequel with more monster and boss variation though. Only so many times i can kill a terragringer

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Can you guys please explain how bathing works - what the benefits are, how much I should do it, etc.? Going back to the game in a few days and I want to be sure I'm not missing out on the benefits when I need them.

The benefits you get from bathing depends on your relationship with the person, and also depends on the person you invite to bathe with you. There is also a chance you get a boost from the mitama you have dedicated to bathing. I believe you can press square before inviting someone to read more about the possible boosts you might get. In the end, I think that it's a RNG game when it comes to the specific boost you get. You unlock the possibility of gaining a certain boost the more you progress with someone's relationship.

For example, when bathing with Yamato (the Slayer Captain with the eyepatch) you can get "Hero's Guidance" which makes it easier to acquire mitama which apparently the only actual Mitama that has this ability is
The Great Unifier
which you just get from basically finishing the story (Chapter 12)

I couldn't tell you how often you should bathe (in the game lol) since I don't know whether or not the act of bathing with someone actually increases the relationship with that person. I do it all the time because I feel like it does though. Doing quests and just progressing through the story is probably the best way of furthering relationships. People say you should talk to each NPC at least once in between missions but I honestly think that this doesn't matter, but I guess it wouldn't hurt since you can't take certain characters with you on missions (like Kikka) which supposedly also improves relationships.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I couldn't tell you how often you should bathe (in the game lol) since I don't know whether or not the act of bathing with someone actually increases the relationship with that person. I do it all the time because I feel like it does though. Doing quests and just progressing through the story is probably the best way of furthering relationships. People say you should talk to each NPC at least once in between missions but I honestly think that this doesn't matter, but I guess it wouldn't hurt since you can't take certain characters with you on missions (like Kikka) which supposedly also improves relationships.

It *does* matter as it *does* increase your affinity with them, even with them speaking the same line over and over and over again. Always do this after finishing a mission even if their line is repeated again and again and again and again.

I actually get the Limitless Lover trophy from Nagi when I talked to her outside.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
It *does* matter as it *does* increase your affinity with them, even with them speaking the same line over and over and over again. Always do this after finishing a mission even if their line is repeated again and again and again and again.

I actually get the Limitless Lover trophy from Nagi when I talked to her outside.

Maybe it does but in my experience it seems like it's negligible. The main reason I say this is because I have Ultimate Soulmate status with every character from AoD and I just didn't talk to them aside from the mandatory "!" parts that you need to progress through the story. Back in AoD, I remember doing this specifically for Fugaku (i just couldn't get him to be my soulmate no matter how much I bugged him) until I finally turned in a quest for him, and the moment I did, he became my soulmate. Given that was on AoD. Either way, I haven't had the need to repeatedly talk to NPCs on Kiwami to increase relationship affinity but if it truly helps, go ahead :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe it does but in my experience it seems like it's negligible. The main reason I say this is because I have Ultimate Soulmate status with every character from AoD and I just didn't talk to them aside from the mandatory "!" parts that you need to progress through the story. Back in AoD, I remember doing this specifically for Fugaku (i just couldn't get him to be my soulmate no matter how much I bugged him) until I finally turned in a quest for him, and the moment I did, he became my soulmate. Given that was on AoD. Either way, I haven't had the need to repeatedly talk to NPCs on Kiwami to increase relationship affinity but if it truly helps, go ahead :)

I ignored anyone I have Ultimate Soulmate status though, hahaha.

Also, the Single Player campaign has some pretty surprisingly good moments. I really adore Reki, she's so cute/lovable/huggable.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I ignored anyone I have Ultimate Soulmate status though, hahaha.

Also, the Single Player campaign has some pretty surprisingly good moments. I really adore Reki, she's so cute/lovable/huggable.

See! Lmao I ignored everyone too and have Ultimate status but if actually talking to them helps then it wouldn't hurt.

And I agree. The story in Kiwami has been way better than AoD. This is probably my favorite moment/cutscene
lAwJeqG.jpg

My favorite is probably Horo just cause she's so weird and never shy even when you bathe with her ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

And the music! I loved how the music in the mission room changed in those last few missions and made what you were doing feel that more important. Speaking of which, anyone know where I could get the soundtrack?

eastx

Thanks for the bathing tips, guys! I might even start bathing in real life now, just to practice.

How do we see our relationship statuses with the various characters?

And the music! I loved how the music in the mission room changed in those last few missions and made what you were doing feel that more important. Speaking of which, anyone know where I could get the soundtrack?

Play-Asia sells the original Toukiden 2-CD soundtrack for $31 + shipping: http://www.play-asia.com/toukiden-original-soundtrack-paOS-13-49-en-70-6tfr.html

The actual Toukiden Kiwami soundtrack appears to be limited to the Toukiden: Kiwami Treasure Box, which includes the Vita game, soundtrack, and Tenko doll. It's only $138 + shipping! (You could save $10 by getting the PSP version of the Treasure Box, but who needs UMDs nowadays.)
http://www.play-asia.com/toukiden-kiwami-treasure-box-paOS-13-49-en-70-7txf.html

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
How do we see our relationship statuses with the various characters?

You visit Shusui and choose encyclopedia and choose people. Shusui is the guy in the blue hat sitting at a desk to the far right of the room where you accept missions.

The actual Toukiden Kiwami soundtrack appears to be limited to the Toukiden: Kiwami Treasure Box, which includes the Vita game, soundtrack, and Tenko doll. It's only $138 + shipping! (You could save $10 by getting the PSP version of the Treasure Box, but who needs UMDs nowadays.)
http://www.play-asia.com/toukiden-kiwami-treasure-box-paOS-13-49-en-70-7txf.html

What. The. Fuck.
toukiden-kiwami-treasure-box-365379.11.jpg

I want that.
Cyu-ee!

Seil

Just finished Demons on Ice in AoD, just Age of Demons to go then I can import to Kiwami lol... Not looking forward to this, though I doubt it'll be quite as obnoxious as Demons on Ice was.

Jabba

Banned
What's the average people are finishing single Oni in offline story mode? I'm finishing between 10-15 minutes. I'm in chap 11.

Shengar

What's the average people are finishing single Oni in offline story mode? I'm finishing between 10-15 minutes. I'm in chap 11.
That's pretty standard finish time when you don't use SPT or non weakness weapon. Using Evening Calm Bow took me 10 minutes to kill Phytodior but when I switched to Pyropteryx long sword, it jumped to a mere 6 minutes.

Ogawa-san

Too bad I still don't have a clue on what skills they do. At least Hino Tomiko have self explanatory ultimate skill and I can begin from there lol
I really want to fill in the descriptions since lots of skills have cryptic names, but there are 521 of them... All I did was translate the info from JP wiki, but for the descriptions I'd have to type them myself.

By the time I'm done people wouldn't even remember the game anymore :(
I really adore Reki, she's so cute/lovable/huggable.
20Lf73154.png

As far as content, monster variety, storyline, and spells/skills/items, does this game win out over SSD? There are a lot of things I liked about SSD and some thing I thought it could have done a lot better, so wondering if Toukiden can scratch the itch that SSD could not.

eastx

As far as content, monster variety, storyline, and spells/skills/items, does this game win out over SSD? There are a lot of things I liked about SSD and some thing I thought it could have done a lot better, so wondering if Toukiden can scratch the itch that SSD could not.

That depends on what SSD is.

Kysen

Damn I was totally wrong about this game(combat being weak). I had tried every weapon and the game just felt slow. Stamina management sucked and I quickly dumped the JP AoD demo. Later on I decided to give the game another chance and picked up the EU release of Kiwami. Again I wasn't feeling the combat. A few hours later I realised the mitama you have equipped makes a huge difference to how the game plays. Using the starter ATK mitama sucks with the scythe so I tried out the SPD one and it feels like another game. Being able to zip around the battle field, regen stamina at boosted rates and dodge mid attack plays so much better.

Really kicking myself now as I missed both Japanese release days for this game, online on the EU version is dead. Likewise for the JP version(cross region) as that came out ages ago on vita.
Still this game doesn't hold a candle to GE2 so I guess there is that

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

It's difficult to really compare the two. Everyone described SS as a monster hunter clone but to me it was way different. Toukiden is more of a monster hunter clone than SS is. I didnt play through the entire of SSD so I'm not the best to speak on this but from my experience the content in terms of weapons and armor I'd say Toukiden wins by a long shot. Although, I actually enjoyed SS's way of combining abilities to make stronger ones, AMD it really were a lot of different ones but Kiwami has boat loads of weapons and armor that are surprisingly detailed.

In terms of monsters I'd say SSD probably has the better ones and I say this just cause I really enjoyed how they were grotesque interpretations of fairytale characters which I enjoyed. Kiwami does have a lot of monsters as well but some are just reskins of previous ones with a different elemental damage and in my opinion aren't as interesting as the ones from SSD.

Storyline I couldn't comment on since I didn't play through all of SSD but Toukiden does have an OK story which is especially better in the later part in the game (where you get into the added Kiwami campaign.)

Lots of skills in Kiwami. Probably where I find most versatality is in building a set of skills that best suits your playstyle. Aside from the 11 or so main skill sets you get additional passive boosts which when combined properly you can get a satisfying build.

I guess it depends on what you would've liked and what that scratch really is. In any case you can always try out the free demo for Kiwami (you don't need to play AoD since Kiwami is just like Delta; AoD + Additional content) for PS4 and Vita and see for yourself.

ChrisDM

I apologize if this question has been asked already (I searched the topic a few times first to make sure), but is the install size on PS4 for this game's physical copy smaller than the digital?

I know the PSN store says the digital is 19GB and I saw people mention online that the install size for the disc is somehow only 3.2GB.

Could anyone with either the physical or digital version of the game for PS4 verify any of this info for me? Trying to decide between digital and physical and typically with installs they're the same size.

Thanks y'all! :]

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I apologize if this question has been asked already (I searched the topic a few times first to make sure), but is the install size on PS4 for this game's physical copy smaller than the digital?

I know the PSN store says the digital is 19GB and I saw people mention online that the install size for the disc is somehow only 3.2GB.

Could anyone with either the physical or digital version of the game for PS4 verify any of this info for me? Trying to decide between digital and physical and typically with installs they're the same size.

Thanks y'all! :]

I thought that install size on the HDD from physical and digital were both the same for every game on PS4. I think the disc just functions proof of ownership (after the game has been installed from the disc) but the whole game is installed onto the PS4 regardless of it being physical or digital. If I find the source I'll edit my post.

I think you are confusing the install size for Vita vs PS4. The install size for Vita is smaller than the install size for PS4 for sure.

Shengar

So I made Phytodior my punching bag for testing elemental mitama build (who to blame but himself for having such good battle theme and fun moveset?). It's a bummer when 2 different build and style on Pyropteryx Long Sword killed Phytodior without any significant time difference between each other.

I really want to fill in the descriptions since lots of skills have cryptic names, but there are 521 of them... All I did was translate the info from JP wiki, but for the descriptions I'd have to type them myself.

By the time I'm done people wouldn't even remember the game anymore :(

Yeah it's really shitty that the game released during one of the most packed month in the year, went head to head against Bloodborne ffs
The original OT reach page 80, while for this I doubt it will make past 20. Shame because Kiwami really improved the formula on so many areas that makes lacks in the original version.
SSD and Kiwami is different. If we talk which version have the best improvement over their respective original version, I might said that SSD win in that regard. But the difference of improvement quality between it and Kiwami isn't really too far off. Kiwami too, make numerous improvement that makes it more enjoyable. Though I guess what makes SSD improvement so damn gamechanging is because the original version so lacking in many aspect from the start.

ChrisDM

I thought that install size on the HDD from physical and digital were both the same for every game on PS4. I think the disc just functions proof of ownership (after the game has been installed from the disc) but the whole game is installed onto the PS4 regardless of it being physical or digital. If I find the source I'll edit my post.

I think you are confusing the install size for Vita vs PS4. The install size for Vita is smaller than the install size for PS4 for sure.

EDIT: I'm AN IDIOT. The install size I was seeing people talk about was for Vita's digital version. Buying digital on PS4 now for sure!

Oh that's for sure when it comes to the Vita. I buy physical whenever I can for Vita. I am actually talking about PS4. I do know for most games that disc and digital should be the exact same size because, as you said, the disc is basically just the license for the game, etc.

My confusion is that at the PSN store, it states Toukiden Kiwami is 18.3gb as seen below...
(Source: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...n-kiwami:up4108-npub50262_00-b000000000001386)

...where when I did a google search for how much the install size is for the physical, I came up with this topic and have no idea whether it's true or not because it SHOULD be the same as you said.
(Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/782076-toukiden-kiwami/71524682)

Reading the GameFAQs topic again, it does kind of seem like they're speaking about the digital. Is it one of those cases where once you download the files for the game, it becomes smaller once complete?

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
EDIT: I'm AN IDIOT. The install size I was seeing people talk about was for Vita's digital version. Buying digital on PS4 now for sure!

Oh that's for sure when it comes to the Vita. I buy physical whenever I can for Vita. I am actually talking about PS4. I do know for most games that disc and digital should be the exact same size because, as you said, the disc is basically just the license for the game, etc.

My confusion is that at the PSN store, it states Toukiden Kiwami is 18.3gb as seen below...
(Source: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...n-kiwami:up4108-npub50262_00-b000000000001386)

...where when I did a google search for how much the install size is for the physical, I came up with this topic and have no idea whether it's true or not because it SHOULD be the same as you said.
(Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/782076-toukiden-kiwami/71524682)

Reading the GameFAQs topic again, it does kind of seem like they're speaking about the digital. Is it one of those cases where once you download the files for the game, it becomes smaller once complete?

I'm not aware of any game that does that but that's not the case for Kiwami.

The version the gamefaq page was asking for was the vita version (being as it was posted on the Vita section of Gamefaqs) as you can see here

Edit: Just noticed your edit XD You are not an idiot, everyone makes mistakes :) Enjoy the game!

ChrisDM

I'm not aware of any game that does that but that's not the case for Kiwami.

The version the gamefaq page was asking for was the vita version (being as it was posted on the Vita section of Gamefaqs) as you can see here

Edit: Just noticed your edit XD You are not an idiot, everyone makes mistakes :) Enjoy the game!

xD Thanks for your reassurance mate. :] Can't wait to be a part of this awesome community.

OmegaZero

So uh, is it normal to take 20 mins to solo the manhunter, windshredder, jollux and ect?
Just wondering because I feel like it's taking a tad long for me to purify them.

EDIT: To clarify I'm on Chapter 3 now.

Jabba

Banned
So uh, is it normal to take 20 mins to solo the manhunter, windshredder, jollux and ect?
Just wondering because I feel like it's taking a tad long for me to purify them.

EDIT: To clarify I'm on Chapter 3 now.

Are you playing offline story or single player online? Also are you using the AI for missions whenever possible?

eastx

Are you playing offline story or single player online? Also are you using the AI for missions whenever possible?

Manhunter should take 5-10 minutes at that point in the game. OmegaZero should definitely use AI companions at all times, and be sure to craft new and better gear.

Jabba

Banned
Manhunter should take 5-10 minutes at that point in the game. OmegaZero should definitely use AI companions at all times, and be sure to craft new and better gear.

Agreed. I was just wondering how OmegaZero was playing, to get a better idea of why it's taking him 20 minutes. The only information he gave was he's in chapter 3. Would like to know if he's doing the things we both mentioned.

Shengar

I still don't have a clue on using the rifle. I killed Phytodior with blazing rifle in 9 minutes, so obviously I do something wrong there.

Ogawa-san

Totally forgot about this set, and now I can upgrade it to rank 8. Who needs 1500 defense anyway?

CYhkKRl.jpg

I still don't have a clue on using the rifle. I killed Phytodior with blazing rifle in 9 minutes, so obviously I do something wrong there.
Fire rifle and zerging that miasmal node on his leg?

If only you could tell the AI to stop trying to break all parts, it'd take 5min instead.
Aurogrinding..
This is how it looked like when I was done with drops I needed. That doesn't include the few times I ragequit for not getting the part drop I needed, or Ult Aurogrinder armor that alone will require at least 12 more ult kills.

zZfde8C.jpg

One slightly less annoying way to find an aurogrinder is by doing "Attribute - Earth" special investigations, there aren't many Earth oni so there's a good chance Aurogrinder will show up, plus you can walk in with a wind weapon that everything but Putrox will be weak against.

The investigation "flavor" is randomized after every mission or loading the game, so if it's not Earth you can go back to your house, go back to title screen and reload. Or go into infinite missions just in case Aurogrinder shows up as the first oni, and quit if it doesn't.

I keep doing Quests because they're there, I get haku, and I keep unlocking more of them, but is there any reason to do them past that? It's adding a ton of playtime by requiring me to re-play missions I've already passed.

Ogawa-san

Just that? I mean, does throwing grenades is effective?
SNP grenades are great and all, but the effect lasts about the same as a full ammo clip. It's only worth it if you can empty that clip uninterruptedly. So I really just zerg that leg and use my first destroyer on the other one so NPCs can reach two broken parts and get it done faster.

I don't see any other kind of ammo being effective against it. PRC would hit 2 parts if you're at the right angle, since it moves a lot that just won't happen. It doesn't seem EXP would hit more than 2 parts, and it takes more than that to match a SNP shot. DLY against hyperactive oni is always a no-go. SCT would be fine if you hadn't to chase it around.

I keep doing Quests because they're there, I get haku, and I keep unlocking more of them, but is there any reason to do them past that? It's adding a ton of playtime by requiring me to re-play missions I've already passed.
Some give rewards that aren't just common materials or haku. Tatara quests for example expand your inventory space and you'll definitely need that, major NPCs give you an unique item once you fulfill their last quest that's used to craft unique weapons.

You don't have to go and try to complete a quest though. You can keep playing the game and get the items you need for a quest while working on something else.

The ones that are adding playtime are the monster killing quests. Do I have to accept those to make the kills count?

I have so many quests that ask for items now that I don't bother to seek out said items. I just check the board after each quest to see if I happened to complete something.

Ogawa-san

Oh, right, the killing quests. Yeah, you have to accept them or the kills won't count, and it's the kind you gotta go out of your way to get done or it'll be in your log for a long time...

Oh, right, the killing quests. Yeah, you have to accept them or the kills won't count, and it's the kind you gotta go out of your way to get done or it'll be in your log for a long time...

All right, cool, just making sure. At least it gets me materials for armor.

ZeroAKA

I don't think you have to accept them. I haven't accepted any quests since chapter 1, and even the "kill X monsters" quests have been completing automatically.

OmegaZero

Offline story, hence the use of chapter instead of phase. I've used AI which cut my times noticeably but my question is regarding solo play with no helpers.

Manhunter does take around 5 minutes with AI but by myself I take significantly longer and was wondering if that's normal for solo play. I'll elaborate below after the last quote.

Agreed. I was just wondering how OmegaZero was playing, to get a better idea of why it's taking him 20 minutes. The only information he gave was he's in chapter 3. Would like to know if he's doing the things we both mentioned.

Okay so to clarify everything I've been trying to beat large monsters with AI first to get a feel for their movesets and then going back to fight them myself. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet so this is all story stuff.
I usually try to upgrade whenever I feel my gear isn't cutting it but let's assume that I'm equipped with gear available in the respective chapter where the monster first appears.
I have been using the club, and my strategy is to get to red aura using power blows and stop thrusts. Once at red aura, I use charged attacks whenever I can while trying to maintain the aura, occasionally buffing myself with an attack mitima. This strategy nets me times of 15-20 minutes by myself.
So, assuming I'm using the slayer armor set and default club against the first Manhunter with no partners, would 15-20 minutes be considered an average solo time?

EDIT: Also I have no idea what I was trying to say when I mentioned chapter 3 in my earlier post since it's not to relevant to my question lol.
Apologies for any confusion there.

This game is.. cool. I wasn't able to get into the Monster Hunter style of games before, but the demo for this game has been a lot of fun so far. Especially the multiplayer. Perhaps Toukiden will be the gateway drug for me.. /ponder

I'm playing with daggers mostly (just made Stygian blades), but I kinda like the weird gauntlets too. They're slow and difficult to master, but strangely satisfying to use.

Also, I noticed that certain enemies won't spawn in MP, or is that just a coincidence? I went looking for the pale spiders for a what seemed like a small eternity in MP today, but they just wouldn't show up anywhere. After switching to SP they spawned almost immediately and dropped the fangs. /shrug

Schwabe

Unrelated: I made a mitama skill search, here.

now i've searched more than 30min to find this. i knew i saw it previously and now i learned that there is a link under the item search >_<

Thank you so much for putting this together (also to every other spreadsheet-artist out there ^_^ ).

I could use a bit of advice.

I'm in chapter 11 or 12, fighting SnowFlame solo for the first time, and I get my butt kicked really fast. Basically, as soon as one of the tornadoes hit me, I get stunned, and the next hit kill me. I checked all my mitanas, and none has stun immunity.

I tried it with a tier-5 earth knives and a tier-6 fire nagimata, and Hell's garb armor.

Should I farm some other stuff? At this point of the campaign there's no ally and no tenko, so it would be really troublesome.

Ogawa-san

I could use a bit of advice.

I'm in chapter 11 or 12, fighting SnowFlame solo for the first time, and I get my butt kicked really fast. Basically, as soon as one of the tornadoes hit me, I get stunned, and the next hit kill me. I checked all my mitanas, and none has stun immunity.

I tried it with a tier-5 earth knives and a tier-6 fire nagimata, and Hell's garb armor.

Should I farm some other stuff? At this point of the campaign there's no ally and no tenko, so it would be really troublesome.
The safest way to do that mission is with gauntlets. If you miss a parry with the naginata you'll take full damage, but with gauntlets you can just hold guard and wait for the hit to go out.

Snowflame is weak against water, so pick a pair of water gauntlets and punch one hindleg until it's dead.

Top Bottom