• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Shengar

Double Phytodior mission have humbled me so.
Those fuckers is fuck easy with melee weapon but somehow they transform into something else with ranged one.

Also Petros Cannon is batshit crazy. Sakamoto Otome+Nijima Yae+Iwasaki Yataro and that weapon steamrolled any monster as fast as my fully upgraded Suzakura Sword did.

Can the material chest go over 500? A few posts on various forums refer to a 900 or 1400 limit, but I have done something like a hunderd missions without receving another chest expansion quest.

Ogawa-san

Limit is 1400, Tatara have 7 quests that upgrade it. But there are 258 quests total so you'll go through a few more before getting there.

Shengar

That fucking trees asked me for 7 Harrowhalf Hornbits which unattainable unless I subject myself into pure frustation of RNG. Can I just skipped and have another try of receiving Soul steel later?

Jabba

Banned
Really hope Koei/Tecmo at least made some type of profit on this game. Definitely want another game in the series, even though I'm late to play it.

Was wondering, what are peoples most used team? I say used, because some characters may/not be better for different battles but one may have favorite/s.

I use Dual Knives and use Nagi, Horo and Soma for lumbering brutish Oni. Swap Hatsuho for Soma with maneuverable Oni. If two different types mixed, Hatsuho is usually my choice over Soma.
Tried all the combinations of Npcs on my team and these seem to peform pretty good.

The Npc AI is pretty good imo.

If I should remove spoiler tags, I will.

Haven't done much multiplayer yet. Is there any trading amonst players?

Finally, a month later after issues with my copy not arriving earlier on and getting a replacement, finally been diving into Toukiden pretty hard the last couple days.

Turns out the stuff playable in the demo was for the Age of Demon's campaign as I was able to pick up where I left off with my previous Slayer. Dual Blades are still serving me quite well, and the pace in general has continued to be good. Always some new big Oni that's available to fight.

Gotta say though, the AI partners by default are almost too good that sometimes I go into a mission solo so they don't just rush forward and demolish everything before I can. Almost feel kinda bad when the NPCs are doing all the work and I'm running around looking for random materials. And I still get all the praise because of course the story emphasizes constantly how important and awesome you are.

Halfway through Chapter 3 and I'm gonna play through the rest of it, then see if I can get in on some multiplayer. Game's been a lot of fun, especially as my first experience in the hunting genre (that wasn't just a MH demo).

eastx

I use Dual Knives and use
Nagi, Horo and Soma for lumbering brutish Oni. Swap Hatsuho for Soma with maneuverable Oni. If two different types mixed, Hatsuho is usually my choice over Soma
Tried all the combinations of Npcs on my team and these seem to peform pretty good.

The Npc AI is pretty good imo.

If I should remove spoiler tags, I will.

I would remove the tag since that's not a spoiler. Using the tag needlessly just makes a comment harder to read.

Agreed on the NPC AI - I'm surprised how great it is compared to most Japanese games I've played (such as the EDF series). The AI teammates are actually useful and make life easier for the player!

I just cycle out my teammates but I especially like to have Nagi along since she heals me sometimes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This game is one of the most addicting games of all time for me. Seriously 60 hours and no sign of stopping

Rephin

Finally getting into the game since I finished Bloodborne. I played a bit over the weekend after bringing in my old Toukiden character. Question, since I don't remember how it worked in the previous game: are single player and multiplayer progress seperate? I had quite a bit of SP content finished, but in MP with friends that didn't matter at all. We all had to plow through the old missions over MP again.

eastx

Finally getting into the game since I finished Bloodborne. I played a bit over the weekend after bringing in my old Toukiden character. Question, since I don't remember how it worked in the previous game: are single player and multiplayer progress seperate? I had quite a bit of SP content finished, but in MP with friends that didn't matter at all. We all had to plow through the old missions over MP again.

Single-player and multiplayer mission progress is separate in Kiwami, for better or worse. It greatly annoys some of my friends.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I would remove the tag since that's not a spoiler. Using the tag needlessly just makes a comment harder to read.

Agreed on the NPC AI - I'm surprised how great it is compared to most Japanese games I've played (such as the EDF series). The AI teammates are actually useful and make life easier for the player!

I just cycle out my teammates but I especially like to have Nagi along since she heals me sometimes.

The NPCs are not just great, they're incredible.

Well, except for few foibles like how they seem fond of immediately using their Destroyers when it's better to hold on to it a bit longer for the Oni to enter the next phase and regrow their limbs, or when they seem to prioritize limb breaking first and foremost (say you fight A and B at the same time, they will pursue B if it still has limbs to break even if A is at 10% health and common sense dictates it would be better to dispose A first before disposing B)

But other than those two above, they're fantastic. Hell, if you play with Shadows of characters people that have played for 200/300 hours are using, 99% of the time they are more competent than actual people playing, lol. They don't miss Destroyers even if it's hard to reach like horns, they heal immediately and others whenever the situation calls for it, they use skills effectively, AND it's easy to gather them together using the FOLLOW command whenever you want to use United Destroyer (whereas with people you have sometimes someone wandering around)

Shengar

One fatal liability the AI have is that they can't focus on one target. It makes multiple oni mission longer and more annoying than it should be.

Ogawa-san

Looks nice, just not $1.99 nice. Especially with the whole lot of new sets in Kiwami, you can choose between like 10 kinds of rank 9.
That fucking trees asked me for 7 Harrowhalf Hornbits which unattainable unless I subject myself into pure frustation of RNG. Can I just skipped and have another try of receiving Soul steel later?
It gives you 3 missions to collect them before the quest goes away, I think. But honestly, a single soul steel isn't worth the mats or the hassle, even though it'll end up being the rarest kind of steel if you're doing special investigations.

Jabba

Banned
If you forge a weapon, then forge another using the same weapon, do the Mitama stack or, do you lose the previous Mitama benefits?

Saw something on another site. I believe my answer to be, no.

When opening up multiplayer phases, should I do the red quests then the others? So far, I 've only been doing the red quests to open the next phase.

Shengar

Who is Hatsuho Miku?
Hatsuho with blue hair and twintail.
It gives you 3 missions to collect them before the quest goes away, I think. But honestly, a single soul steel isn't worth the mats or the hassle, even though it'll end up being the rarest kind of steel if you're doing special investigations.

It gives me 4 days actually. I can get all the material within the alloted time. It is just getting two hornbit from both the reward screen and secondary team mission very frustating. Especially so since Harrowhalf is braindead easy with bad OST.

Finished Chapter 5, and all of a sudden the game decides to give me ALL the missions for Chapter 6 at once. Game is still opening up things even after that climax at the end of 5. Out of curiosity, I decided to tackle one of the missions in that chapter solo with my dual knives...load of good that did. Those AI teammates really are invaluable in order to get those things killed quick.

Curious though how many more chapters there are in the Age of Demon's campaign. I almost thought 5 would've been the end given what it was building up to, but I guess sub 30 hours for a campaign in a hunting game would be too short?

This game is so addicting. Gonna eat up so much of my time this summer, I almost wish I had a Vita so I could continue my progress when on campus.

Shengar

AoD single player is up to chapter 7. Then after that you start with Kiwami content that stretched to chapter 13.

Xenoflare

Ok, according to the Japanese guide I need to upgrade my Royal Rifle to a Fire type rifle and then upgrade again to get a non elemental rifle which is the base of Guiding Crow.

The problem is that it won't show up at all at the Weapon Shop. I think it requires 3 Cimmerian types of Cimmerian King body parts and a material that translates to "Yaso Magatsuhi", which is also a Cimmerian drop.

I'm farming the two Cimmerian king missions in Phase 9 destroying all their parts and have no luck, anyone knows what to do?

I'm pretty bummed that there are no English guides for the new weapons, IIRC the original had a pretty decent guide.

Just talked to Shusui and unlocked Infinite Missions. The rate at which end game content is increasing is nuts. So many things to do at this point.

Had another go at slaying an Oni solo and got my ass kicked again. Are there specific weapon types that lend themselves well to solo battling a large Oni more than others? Or is it only just a matter of knowing when to evade every attack when it happens and having every hit count? Even with my focus on dual knives and upgrading them constantly I almost wonder if 60 minutes is even enough to take one down.

Shengar

Solo as if you battle them all alone or single player mission with companion? Well for either the key is too filled, and used destroyer real quick then attack that one part repeatedly (mostly feet). Oni's health wouldn't go down unless you attack it during enraged or its missing body part. That's why holding a destroyer until it calmed is a good idea sinve you prolong the time you can actually damage it.

Solo as if you battle them all alone or single player mission with companion? Well for either the key is too filled, and used destroyer real quick then attack that one part repeatedly (mostly feet). Oni's health wouldn't go down unless you attack it during enraged or its missing body part. That's why holding a destroyer until it calmed is a good idea sinve you prolong the time you can actually damage it.
Yeah, solo as in no teammates.

I make sure to aim for specific limbs when fighting them, though I never paid too much attention to when the appropriate time to use a destroyer was. Often times I would just whipped it out as soon as possible.

Shengar

I forget how horrible it is to fight the Shredder with dual knives. The slightest move will chip your agility away, it won't stop moving, and it use somersault move when you try to attack its horn as much as its tail swipe when you switch to its tail.
Yeah, solo as in no teammates.

I make sure to aim for specific limbs when fighting them, though I never paid too much attention to when the appropriate time to use a destroyer was. Often times I would just whipped it out as soon as possible.
Most of the time feet is the best since it's easy to reach and not many monster have the moves to interrupt you.

Jabba

Banned

Thank you a ton Ogawa-san. Been playing this nonstop, even shelved Resogun for the moment. Toukiden Kiwami reminds me of the PSO Dreamcast itch I had years ago. I'm really starting to get into Toukiden like my days in PSO.

Shengar, there are many games that have been like PSO since then, but none of them have me playing them as much. Diablo 3, Monster Hunter, etc......
Even PSO 2 didn't have me playing it as much as Toukiden Kiwami. I just opened up phase 15 multiplayer today. My save is at 166 hours and will continue to climb. I was just saying, for myself, there's something about this game that has me wanting to play it. It's scratching the same itch.

Xenoflare

Cleared Chapter

What a fun ride, clocked over 68 hours and I'm sure the true game is just starting.

I only played the vanilla for 8 hours and quit, yet Kiwami is just so gripping for me.

Naginatas and rifles made it for me, probably that's why I loved Kiwami.

This is one of the only hunting game that I truly enjoyed. I sincerely hope Koei continues this franchise.

For someone who only really dabbled in Monster Hunter on Wii for a few hours is this a good game? I really wanted to get into MH but the fact it was on a Nintendo platform kinda bugged me. Online system, lack of online infrastructure and no achievements etc and not really having anyone to play with on their platforms. What I played I liked though. Would I like this? I'm waiting for it to go on sale digitally as I have far too many other games to play at the moment.

Mephala

Loaded up my AoD and replaying some missions where I left off in chapter 7. I still really dislike the phantom limbs thing they have going on as well as the Eyes of Truth view.

I'm really tempted to get Kiwami for the Naginatas and some more story though I'm also contemplating SS Delta or waiting it out for the next God Eater. Thoughts GAF?
Alternatively MH4U... But its hard to go back to the 3DS screen and it isn't nearly as comfortable to play on.

For someone who only really dabbled in Monster Hunter on Wii for a few hours is this a good game? I really wanted to get into MH but the fact it was on a Nintendo platform kinda bugged me. Online system, lack of online infrastructure and no achievements etc and not really having anyone to play with on their platforms. What I played I liked though. Would I like this? I'm waiting for it to go on sale digitally as I have far too many other games to play at the moment.

Hard to say really as they play quite differently, have different tones and such. It really depends on what exactly you enjoyed in MH. There is a Toukiden Kiwami demo that has content which will carry over to the main game I believe, give it a go!

Plowing through this at the moment.

Which weapon types work better with raw/precision and which with elemental damage? Like in MH, you go for raw damage over element with stuff like GS, Hammer, etc, but element works well with SnS, bow, the bowguns, etc.

I love using SPD club, but I want to know if it's worthwhile going for crits or elemental damage.

Also, what colour is your tenko? Mine is red.

Shengar

It really depends on your expectation. Toukiden perhaps the closest game that play like MH but even then it still very different. KT is good enough to put fully functioning demo on PSN, so you might want to check that first.
Plowing through this at the moment.

Which weapon types work better with raw/precision and which with elemental damage? Like in MH, you go for raw damage over element with stuff like GS, Hammer, etc, but element works well with SnS, bow, the bowguns, etc.

I love using SPD club, but I want to know if it's worthwhile going for crits or elemental damage.

Also, what colour is your tenko? Mine is red.

I haven't played all weapon yet (mostly just Sword, Dual Knives, Bow, and Rifle), and compatibility mechanics makes it very hard to test out new build, so my opinion on some weapon it just based on their basic function.

For raw damage, I guess Gauntlet and Club is the best. The former have mechanic that will turn all of your normal strike to precision strike if you're good enough, so for gauntlet precision is pretty much useless and raw is much preferable. As for the latter, it works similarly like GS in MH so I guess raw effectiveness applied to it too.

As for elemental damage, I guess bow will be the best of it since you gonna use SPT style anyway. SPT style have a skill that make Fountain deal elemental damage of your weapon so I can imagine how devastating it would be.

I can't say much about this actuall since like I said that I haven't tinker with other style and type of damage extensive enough. Last test I have done shows that low compatibility fire Sword can kill Phytodior as much as effective as fully upgraded Suzakura sword (best raw and precision after Petros and Dimensional sword), even with un-optimal mitama setup.

Jabba

Banned
Want to make sure I'm reading the linked chart right. I have Kagemaru blades +9. I'm trying to get Kuromaru blades. Do I have to forge Niten blades with the Kagemaru's and then get Niten blades to +9, then they'l be upgradable to Kuromaru?
Or is another tier of Tatara not open to me yet possibly?

Thanks for that.

I mainly play Sword, CnS, Club and Rifle, but I have a precision Naginata that I randomly got from a mission. Precision seems to be the way to go for CnS. The Sword seems to work well with both. With the Rifle, I just go for whatever gives me SNP and SCT, but I have the Breaker Rifle as well (EXP, ABS, DLY).

I have a mid-tier precision Club and the Breaker Club (Earth damage). I don't get how the stun/stagger mechanic on large oni works. It's not like MH where if you smack a monster in the face with a blunt weapon hard enough, they get knocked out. So I mostly use the precision Club with SPD attached and just go for DPS.

Shengar

Thanks for that.

I mainly play Sword, CnS, Club and Rifle, but I have a precision Naginata that I randomly got from a mission. Precision seems to be the way to go for CnS. The Sword seems to work well with both. With the Rifle, I just go for whatever gives me SNP and SCT, but I have the Breaker Rifle as well (EXP, ABS, DLY).

I have a mid-tier precision Club and the Breaker Club (Earth damage). I don't get how the stun/stagger mechanic on large oni works. It's not like MH where if you smack a monster in the face with a blunt weapon hard enough, they get knocked out. So I mostly use the precision Club with SPD attached and just go for DPS.

Yeah I think airborne weapon like dual knive and CnS are most suited with precision build. Their attack is fast, and become even faster when attacking midair. My dual knives with proper built can kill Manhunter much faster than using sword somehow, though it did very horribly against Windshredder.

As for stun/stagger mechanic, there isn't stun in this game (chain of destroyer to oni's feet is enough to "stun" them). Stagger is there though, and how it work is rather simple: Oni will stagger when their limb reach certain threshold, shown by an animation of blood spray, and when they are hit by certain attack. Yes, certain special attack is guaranteed to stagger oni. Sword gouge move for example, will stagger oni if you can managed to get red indicator on any body part. While I haven't yet to use Club, I think it also have a stagger-guaranteed move when landed properly.

Finished Chapter 7 last night (sans all the solo only missions) and am now on the Kiwami portion of the game. The slight changes in scenery and NPC design with the new season makes for a nice touch, not to mention story picking up again after the events of Chapter 5.

The two new Oni I've faced so far that aren't just reskins of already existing types were pretty interesting. Though it seemed kind of weird that during the Mynx fight the AI partners decided to reiterate the way to effectively take out Oni (story wise it makes sense I suppose, what with Horo's amnesia). It was kind of nice as it reminded me on a couple things that I had forgotten over time, though it definitely feels like it was designed for people that would've been returning to this game with the Kiwami release and needed a refresher.

Still continuing to have fun with this game, even at just under 40 hours. The new characters are nice and give me more reasons to mix up my team from the usual trio of Fugaku, Hatsuho, and Nagi, though that's being done automatically as the story dictates in some cases. Kind of wish you were given an opportunity to actually decide the name for your Tenko. Tenkichi is nice enough, though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I picked this up last week and played a bit, up to that
spider boss
that is heading to attack the village. I'm using a bow and arrow, may switch to melee.

PSN ID truly101

weevles

I was all set to pick this up from BB with GCU and RP I had set aside, and now it's OOS online. A little bummed and a bit confused because the game has barely been out in the US for a month. I wonder if BB will restock or if it's just a low print run type of game?

I was all set to pick this up from BB with GCU and RP I had set aside, and now it's OOS online. A little bummed and a bit confused because the game has barely been out in the US for a month. I wonder if BB will restock or if it's just a low print run type of game?

I get the feeling it had a low print run. I never saw it at my local best buy, target, or toys r us, and the only copy gamestop had when I went to buy it the other day was someone's forgotten pre-order. It was sold out online as well, and other stores in the area only had a single copy.

The scarcity is what got me to finally pick it up. Had been planning on finishing out g rank in MH4U first, but got worried I'd be unable to find it if I waited longer.

Top Bottom