• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

This game *really* fond of throwing you into situations where, in normal conditions (meaning you have 4 person parties, you can pick whoever you like, etc) are quite manageable, it seemed like they're designed to annoy you in the purest way possible.

Example: a fight against Terragrinder+Pyrogrinder (bah so annoying), or that one mission--the Four Horseman IIRC--where your team got separated and you need to defeat bosses one by one to be reunited with them (gahhhhh, such a PITA), or in story mode where characters just "let's go brah just you and me the two of us beat this hugely annoying thing when there's actually no reason whatsoever why we can't bring more people, etc etc.

Grumble grumble.

Currently mucking around on Chapter 10 SP and Phase 9 MP... a glance towards all the missions available in the MP side of things are making me ill, hahaha.... *sigh*

As always GAF, add my PSN LaughingBanana. I'll even help anyone out getting through lower phases, no problem, and I have a Mic too so we can party chat or whatever. Playing alone through the MP missions are such a huge pain in the arse, hahaha.

Just remember that if the mission isn't in red you do not have to do them, Heck even with a team some of those would be a headache.. I leave those missions the frack alone..unfortunately some of the phases will have missions you absolutely have to do that are a pain, none of the red ones so far have been solo mission (I'm at at phase14 completed the story mode) but I have seen solo final boss missions that I will probably never touch. unless I find armor that makes me invincible and a weapon that hits for a 5000dmg.

people

Looks like one of these missions allows for Umbrapod and Shadow Soul ULT farming.
oh boy :3c nice to have an alternative to infinite missions for finding those.
Do Aurogrinder happen to appear in any of these? (EU, not available yet)

Ogawa-san

There's a DLC mission with Aurogrinder but it's one of the last ones, so it may take a while for us to get it.

Unrelated: thanks to Ult Aurogrinder hunting on infinite missions, I learned that the haku cap is 9.999.999. Off to level all mitamas and make Shikimi filthy rich I guess.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Does this have turn based characters like the old FF's? (EDIT: Nope)

And how similar is it to Monster Hunter?

I'm intrigued.

maouvin

So I'm trying a Naginata SUP build. Stacking Altruism bonuses and that's that. It's probably heavily unoptimized, but I need a change from bowing around.

Do Aurogrinder happen to appear in any of these? (EU, not available yet)

Nope, as Ogawa said.
We get to fight Snaggwen (sp?), the top model oni, though!

And I'm so very very happy that the DLCs are free this time~

Ogawa-san

Are they all free? If so, glad KT follows Capcom on handling the DLC.
It's petty, but I was miffed that they sold the first game's DLC for $0.99/1.99 each when they were free in Japan for a while. Good to see they're making it right this time around.

Holy crap, Omega-Force really learned a thing or two about characterization and story telling between AoD and Kiwami. The Kiwami storyline is so much more interesting than AoD, and it's characters and their interactions with each other are leagues above the original game.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Does this have turn based characters like the old FF's? (EDIT: Nope)

And how similar is it to Monster Hunter?

I'm intrigued.

It's similar to monster hunter in that its 4-player co-op massive amounts of armor and weapons which are crafted and upgraded using the materials that you gain from hunting these Oni.

It is also similar to monster hunter in that you can sever off body parts, but here it is a greater focus and just a core mechanic than it is for MH. For example, cutting off the legs of a monster may make it fall every time it does a charge attack later. (It regrows that part instantly but it is purple and a little transparent) You do not do damage to the boss unless it is in enraged mode (when its body is pulsating this purple color) or when you attack body parts that have been cut off.

Probably where Toukiden sets itself apart from MH the greatest is in its mitama. Rather than having to worry about items and preparing for a hunt by crafting a ton of items you might need, you have Mitama, their battle styles and their boosts. There are 10 (if I'm not mistaken) battle styles that you can choose (like an attack style which gives you skills like temporarily increase attack, or if you just can't decide you can go with Luck which gives you a different set of skills like getting a random skill from different styles) Then among that, you can build a set of mitama that has the boosts you want to better fine tune your own playstyle, similar to the decoration system MH games have. There are hundreds of Mitama which allow for thousands of combinations of boosts.

You can also build relationships with the other characters in the game which basically plays into just getting additional boosts for your missions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm like 12 or 13 hours into the game, and yeah... I really, really like it. It does get a bit repetitive in single player mode, but there's something so damn addicting about it... whatever, it's great.

I'm like 12 or 13 hours into the game, and yeah... I really, really like it. It does get a bit repetitive in single player mode, but there's something so damn addicting about it... whatever, it's great.

Repetitive? but you get better gears further on! I spent 50+ hours on AoD alone and am going to spend MOAR on Kiwami! Go Toukiden GO!

I'm 72 hours deep, and still having fun, still haven't seen all the oni yet, just starting to craft different armor -__-

For those wondering, Model Swaggwen shows up at phase 15 if you've downloaded the dlc!

Ogawa-san

A rant and PSA for those going after the platinum, in particular that trophy about getting the 160+ weapons of one category: one of them require an "all parts broken" bonus drop from an Ult Aurogrinder, x3.

I wish I knew that before making every weapon but that one. I'm pretty much one drop shy from the platinum and might just give up on it.

A rant and PSA for those going after the platinum, in particular that trophy about getting the 160+ weapons of one category: one of them require an "all parts broken" bonus drop from an Ult Aurogrinder, x3.

I wish I knew that before making every weapon but that one. I'm pretty much one drop shy from the platinum and might just give up on it.
I'm glad I never got into trophies, cause I'd be pulling my hair out over that, I' ve only met the aurogrinder twice in about 100 hrs.

Shengar

I just have some time to play the game for 3 hours. My impressions on the new and old onis alike

-Manhunter is still a joke as always
-Windshredder become a lot less annoying, but it also means that it become less of a threat than before since it's clearly that it was designed with the charge attack in mind. It doesn't have any tweak to its attack to compensate except its somersault tail attack have stronger forceback, one move that should make any Agility-less dual knives and CnS user should wary about if they try to destroy its horns.
-Bladewing is a threat as ever and even more so in this since they make its carpet bomb attack more accurate and faster.

-Aurogrinder.....I guess that's okay for a "Metal Slime" type monster
-Mynx, I've already seen her from a promo material of the japanese verson. I thought she'll be a tough enemy, so I was very disappointed when she goes down easily. The problem is that her AI too passive (like many oni in this game so far) to make a good use of her quick moveset. Since the mission where I met her for the first time is among the earliest Kiwami content, I hope she'll get better later on.
-Sceecher move and behave differently from its pteryx brethren, but somehow it still not a threat as it should be. The only thing that's noteworthy from it, is its homing dive attack but since I'm using Speed mitama, an attack with one instance of damage like doesn't pose any threat.
-Phytodior or I guess that was its name. It is the best new Oni for me so far. Very aggresive and have a set of combo that could put you out if you don't careful enough during the fight.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
;_;

25 hours in...i hate how the quests just keep piling up. So much shit i dont even know where the materials are

maouvin

;_;

25 hours in...i hate how the quests just keep piling up. So much shit i dont even know where the materials are

Same. Completed all the killing quests, no sweat. Then began sending my tenko to gather some non-Ex/Ult field stuff, but no success. Guess I'll just need to play some low levels missions to find those.

And playing Naginata I found out that the PS4 version is too flashy for my eyes, lol. Will leave longer sessions to play on the Vita.

OmegaZero

I have a few questions about elemental stuff:

1) What weapon classes are best suited to utlizing elemental damage?
2) If I have a weapon with say 500 raw damage and one with 400 raw damage and 80 fire, would I still want to choose the latter for a monster weak to fire?
3) If your weapon has an element, does this show in the visual effects produced by the weapon in combat?

Thanks in advance.

Ogawa-san

CrwAKXP.jpg

Would've been a quicker platinum than the first game if it wasn't for that weapon trophy... 30h farming a single item, and having to re-forge mitama weapons because they're base for two others. Omega Force pls.

Also, double Mynx/Shredder can burn in hell. The guy that came up with that should be forced to play it.

1) What weapon classes are best suited to utlizing elemental damage?
2) If I have a weapon with say 500 raw damage and one with 400 raw damage and 80 fire, would I still want to choose the latter for a monster weak to fire?
3) If your weapon has an element, does this show in the visual effects produced by the weapon in combat?
1) Elemental damage is effective for all classes equally, really.
2) Yes. I don't know exactly how elemental damage works, but from observation I assume weakness = 200%, neutral = 100% and strength = 50% damage.
3) Yes. When you hit you'll see the visual for the type of hit (slash, crush, pierce) plus a visual for the element if applicable. Some aren't very noticeable like sky, but you'll see fire for sure. You can see it on SPT's Fountain too.

Ok I bought this. Any tips or tricks I should know from the start?
Talk to every main NPC before missions, that's how you build bonds.
Don't try fortifying armor/weapons to +9 as you progress, just craft new stuff.
Don't sell things unless you really need money, you might need it for a quest later. Even cheap stuff like soil.
Elemental vulnerabilities are handy. Talk to Shusui and choose Encyclopedia, there's a list of oni with elemental weaknesses and strengths.

OmegaZero

1) Elemental damage is effective for all classes equally, really.
2) Yes. I don't know exactly how elemental damage works, but from observation I assume weakness = 200%, neutral = 100% and strength = 50% damage.
3) Yes. When you hit you'll see the visual for the type of hit (slash, crush, pierce) plus a visual for the element if applicable. Some aren't very noticeable like sky, but you'll see fire for sure. You can see it on SPT's Fountain too.

Awesome, thanks. Guess I'll stick with my Club then.
Are elemental builds (stacking knowledge skills I'm assuming) powerful or should I focus more on attack/crit builds? And on a similar note, are crit builds recommended as well?

Ogawa-san

No idea how builds compare honestly. I've went through almost all of the game stacking Knowledge and did fine, especially after getting Knowledge Leech/Absorb that restore health/focus whenever you do elemental damage. The good thing about non-elemental is not having to keep or switch weapons around for different bosses.

Just go with what you have as you progress, I guess. You can experiment more once you have enough mitamas and haku to level them and unlock more skills.

OmegaZero

Alright, guess that will have to do.
I'll focus on attack stuff for now since clubs are all about getting those big hits in anyway.

maouvin

Don't sell things unless you really need money, you might need it for a quest later. Even cheap stuff like soil.

Ah, the fond memories of finally clearing the quest to fetch 99 Soil, selling all the remaining Soils and them being greeted with anotther "fetch 99 soil" quest after a while...

And congrats on the platinum, man!

Shengar

Is there any recommended skill and mitama for elemental build? The only mitama I could think off is Lady Shizuka with her Knowledge 2, 3, and 4 but surely there is another skill that enhance elemental properties beside Knowledge.

Seil

Planning on grabbing this(I debated on and off because of MH4U), but the collector in me wants to rush through Phases 9 and 10 in the original first for the costume since that's all I'm missing for the import bonuses, minus all trophies and that's not happening lol.

Jabba

Banned
I just finished one of the Chapter 10 story missions yesterday, where
The Shrine Maiden and Yamato come and help you
. Thought this part was really good and totally unexpected. Played on a little more afterwards.

Weapons are now showing their upgrade paths, which is a big help. Does anyone kow how to find a chart of needed materials for forged Mitama weapons?

Game is fantastic. This, Resogun and Bloodborne have taken up my time as of late.

eastx

Also, great stream, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for checking out the stream and all the excellent advice you gave us! I haven't been able to play much since then due to work and being sick for a few days, but I hope to stream again soon (maybe Tuesday or Friday).

Also, I'm getting a Vita on Tuesday so I'll be able to play a lot more in the future, even if I'm not streaming. My love for Toukiden (on PS TV) and a recent sale pushed me into finally grabbing the portable console. Can't wait to play it on the go.

So, what exactly do you have to do to get the trophy to pop for Chapter 13? I've completed all the red missions (story missions) and finished, but the
Conquering Hero
trophy didn't pop afterwards.

Ogawa-san

You gotta clear the last mission on the list,
The Ultimate Challenge
, that's not in red.

Weapons are now showing their upgrade paths, which is a big help. Does anyone kow how to find a chart of needed materials for forged Mitama weapons?
I've added a rifle weapon tree to the spreadsheet. Doesn't have all materials since I'm too lazy to type them for 169 weapons, but it does have the mitamas you need for the 9 forged ones. For the others you could google translate this, it's what I've done.

bobohoro

Is there any recommended skill and mitama for elemental build? The only mitama I could think off is Lady Shizuka with her Knowledge 2, 3, and 4 but surely there is another skill that enhance elemental properties beside Knowledge.

Ogawa-san already listed some central skills. Knowledge+ (Leech/Absorb) will help big time, especially on focus intense weapons like sword, CnS and stuff, since you can basically replicate the infamous crit-build of the originial, only even more powerful. Princess Nukata (?) would be another SPT mitama to look out for in that regard.

You can also build some ATK stuff, since there is a skill that boosts elemental damage for the Might buff.

Shengar

Ogawa-san already listed some central skills. Knowledge+ (Leech/Absorb) will help big time, especially on focus intense weapons like sword, CnS and stuff, since you can basically replicate the infamous crit-build of the originial, only even more powerful. Princess Nukata (?) would be another SPT mitama to look out for in that regard.

You can also build some ATK stuff, since there is a skill that boosts elemental damage for the Might buff.

This is interesting since I'm just started learning to use sword recently. I'll look into up further then.

You gotta clear the last mission on the list,
The Ultimate Challenge
, that's not in red.

Thanks! The time turned out to be a bigger problem than anything else. Although after completing Chapter 13 I learned something that I wish I knew before. Which is that putting together a full armor set from individual armor actually gives you a boost. I went through the entire game with Rinne+9 armor. But I guess that explains why Oni toward the end of the game could kill me with a single hit.

maouvin

Thanks! The time turned out to be a bigger problem than anything else. Although after completing Chapter 13 I learned something that I wish I knew before. Which is that putting together a full armor set from individual armor actually gives you a boost. I went through the entire game with Rinne+9 armor. But I guess that explains why Oni toward the end of the game could kill me with a single hit.

Well, those character armors each have their own boost too (Rinne's upgraded armor gives you attack up 3 iirc).
But their first form is pretty weak for the later chapters.

Schwabe

how do you play the "whole game" with the same armor? O_O I'm in Chapter 12, Phases not really touched yet, and i have crafted more than 5 sets ... not all fortified +9, but almost ;) i started with rinne too, but after i killed the first big Oni i immediatly started to craft all kinds of stuff ... monster hunter habit, i guess ...

how do you play the "whole game" with the same armor? O_O I'm in Chapter 12, Phases not really touched yet, and i have crafted more than 5 sets ... not all fortified +9, but almost ;) i started with rinne too, but after i killed the first big Oni i immediatly started to craft all kinds of stuff ... monster hunter habit, i guess ...

I didn't know that you were supposed to create armor sets from individual parts rather than purchasing a full set on its own. I just looked at the armor you could purchase or forge and didn't see anything better than my Rinne armor, so I never bothered changing it. After I completed the game I had so many left over materials and money (2m+) that I decided to just buy and forge as much as I could. That's when I realized that I could've had much better armor all along. :/

Ogawa-san

On the bright side, beating the game with that armor means you had to learn how to dodge stuff like a pro :p

I got one-shotted by the trampling Phytodior in that video while wearing +9 rank 9 armor...

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
For those that have done so, how do you go about collecting the mitama?

I went back to AoD to see if I can chip away at the platinum on Vita, and I'm trying to get a certain mitama. For a specific mitama it says I need to defeat a specific oni at this specific phase, and what I was doing for AoD is just get heroes guidance, then saving and fighting that specific oni and if it doesn't drop it, then just close the game and restart. Firstly, for those that know, does this even work for AoD? Cause I'm on my 6th attempt and nothing. And second, do you have to do a similar thing for Kiwami? For me the most daunting part seems to be getting the mitama.

Ogawa-san

You're on track with the Heroes' Guidance thing, at least for AoD since it's much harder to get it there. You could also save before bathing and reload until you get HG so you don't waste what you got from the boss kill. But unless you want both platinum trophies don't bother with AoD, mitama collecting in Kiwami is almost an afterthought in comparison.

Mitama sources are from a combination of boss, age and difficulty. In AoD you find which mission matches that, 3 of them at best, and farm it until you're sick and then some more. But in Kiwami there are Surrounds and Anomaly ages that can drop mitama of other (any?) ages, lots of missions happen in them. Also infinite missions that are always in Surrounds, so you'll get a handful of mitamas per run on top of all the haku.

By the time I actively started working towards the trophy in Kiwami, I only had about 10 left to collect.

Unrelated: I made a mitama skill search, here.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
You're on track with the Heroes' Guidance thing, at least for AoD since it's much harder to get it there. You could also save before bathing and reload until you get HG so you don't waste what you got from the boss kill. But unless you want both platinum trophies don't bother with AoD, mitama collecting in Kiwami is almost an afterthought in comparison.

Mitama sources are from a combination of boss, age and difficulty. In AoD you find which mission matches that, 3 of them at best, and farm it until you're sick and then some more. But in Kiwami there are Surrounds and Anomaly ages that can drop mitama of other (any?) ages, lots of missions happen in them. Also infinite missions that are always in Surrounds, so you'll get a handful of mitamas per run on top of all the haku.

By the time I actively started working towards the trophy in Kiwami, I only had about 10 left to collect.

Yeah, I've spent 190 hours on AoD before Kiwami came out. Got Kiwami for PS4 and have put in an additional 30 or so hours. Since I think it was a waste of space to have both AoD and Kiwami on Vita I wanted to work a little more on getting the platinum on AoD before putting down the money and upgrading to the convenience of cross saving. Apparently, the character you get from bathing (in AoD) only resets after each mission so I did manhunter mission every time i didn't get Yamato. Maybe the specific boost you get from a character does reset before bathing but I managed to get HG after the first one. Now I'm just trying to get a single mitama, and I just force close the game before ending the mission and trying again. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not wasting my time with this method.

I like how the Great Unifier is the only Mitama with Heroe's Guidance. I guess I'll make sure to incorporate him in every setup in Kiwami.

Also, +10 million for the search. That is perfect for building the perfect mitama setup. Thanks! My only suggestion is to maybe color code or an asterisk that tells you which ones are only in Kiwami to make the search backwards compatible.

eastx

Can you guys please explain how bathing works - what the benefits are, how much I should do it, etc.? Going back to the game in a few days and I want to be sure I'm not missing out on the benefits when I need them.

Shengar

The effort you made for this game is amazing, thank you for all of this.
Too bad I still don't have a clue on what skills they do. At least Hino Tomiko have self explanatory ultimate skill and I can begin from there lol

Top Bottom