• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Ogawa-san

The demo can give you Yu/Shusui hats from completing all special missions and soul steel (normal/exalted/pure) from completing quests. You get them just by importing the demo data, then you can continue from it or your AoD save.

The hats look cool but they're rank 1, so you won't use them past chapter 3 at best.

Soul steel is used to fortify gear without having the required compatibility; normal up to +5, exalted +7 and pure up to +9 if I'm not mistaken. They're pretty rare in the game but not that useful, since you don't need +9 weapons to forge new ones at Shikimi anymore.

Getting everything done should only take a couple hours. Can't say it's worth it, though.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
The demo can give you Yu/Shusui hats from completing all special missions and soul steel (normal/exalted/pure) from completing quests. You get them just by importing the demo data, then you can continue from it or your AoD save.

Well in any case, this isn't a limited time thing right? I can keep playing all I want and say 2 months from now when I want to collect all there is to collect I can go back to the demo get the extra junk? Won't that overwrite what I've done in Kiwami over those two months? I guess I'll just do the demo just to be safe. After all ... I WANT EVERYTHING!

ironcreed

Banned
Went ahead and picked this up, despite being stacked with games and pre-orders. I have just been wanting to play it for too long. Anyway, no more purchases for me until June.

ironcreed

Banned
Good choice, you may get more mileage than you would expect from this title

That is what I was hoping for. It is something that caught my eye back on VIta, but I am just not a handheld guy. It always looked even more appealing than Monster Hunter to me and I am anxious to finally see for myself.

sensui-tomo

So i've seen different answers for this, is cerberus (from Soul sacrifice) in Toukiden kiwami(PS4) still? i know you have to get to rank 8 or something (Which i'm working up from 6 ) in order to fight it. Hell i've heard something like, you had to transfer a save in order to fight it. and something about the AoD dlc ? (which i never bought any of)

maouvin

Final boss hits like a truck before you begin breaking his parts. I was downed on the first 15s of battle, lol (but that was me being silly).
Finally replaced my bow, though! Will farm him some more to upgrade my armor before going Ultimate.

bobohoro

So i've seen different answers for this, is cerberus (from Soul sacrifice) in Toukiden kiwami(PS4) still? i know you have to get to rank 8 or something (Which i'm working up from 6 ) in order to fight it. Hell i've heard something like, you had to transfer a save in order to fight it. and something about the AoD dlc ? (which i never bought any of)

From what I gathered online Cerberus is in the Vita version, but not PS4. Seems kinda weird if true.

Final boss hits like a truck before you begin breaking his parts. I was downed on the first 15s of battle, lol (but that was me being silly).
Finally replaced my bow, though! Will farm him some more to upgrade my armor before going Ultimate.

Do the first few Ultimate missions and send someone on a slayer mission for the final boss first, since you'll need lots of the -mane drop, especially if you also want to make some weapons from the thing. Which you should, since they give you an enormous boost and are pure raw power. That would cut down on the grind considerably.

Hmm maybe someone with picture editing skills could update this for Kiwami ?

49evgLB.png

impact

Banned
Damn I forgot how boring hunting games are solo

Gonna shelve this till some people on my list pick it up. Playing with AI is stupid as hell and the online is deader than dead as expected. Too bad no one picked this up (again) but they've only got themselves to blame with this horrid release month.

Jathaine

the online is deader than dead as expected.

This is so untrue its not even funny.
There are literally 23 lobbies up for the English version setting as we speak. No clue how many in int version since I don't check. You need to adjust your lobby search settings.

Also, many people create passworded lobbies and are likely higher rank than you if you haven't been doing phase missions. You certainly won't get caught up by not playing but if you're not interested in getting caught up, your best bet would definitely be to do as you say and wait for people you know and go at your own pace.

Notice the scroll bar on the right of the list. I literally just took this after reading your post. There's plenty of people playing.

FXn1UCs.jpg

sensui-tomo

So Koei disabled all sound when recording or streaming video with this game? So lame!!

Something something with music or voice actors, i dont know, but its been that way for all koei sided games on the ps4(or at least omega force games)

sensui-tomo

Why couldn't this be cross buy :(

$100 for PS4 and Vita seems too much. At least gimme a discount for having AoD.

I wish there was an 80$ have both method, maybe we'll be lucky and have a dlc give you the game instead (this happened with Warriors orochi 3 ultimate with a costume dlc sometime last year)

Why couldn't this be cross buy :(

$100 for PS4 and Vita seems too much. At least gimme a discount for having AoD.

I wish there was an 80$ have both method, maybe we'll be lucky and have a dlc give you the game instead (this happened with Warriors orochi 3 ultimate with a costume dlc sometime last year)

Cross-save and cross-play are awesome but really wish there was a bundle too. I picked up the PS4 version for now since it's new and shiny, really hope there's a sale before I cave on the vita version :/...because I'm pretty sure I'll cave.

Does anyone know what the Assertion perk does? Says it prevents having skills blocked but that makes zero sense at all.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Does anyone know what the Assertion perk does? Says it prevents having skills blocked but that makes zero sense at all.

Yeah I think the Cthonian Fiend does this. Those black and red things that come from the floor when he sticks his arm into the ground or when he's replenishing his cut off parts.

A friend convinced me to buy this game for the Vita the other night and I'm really enjoying it so far. However, I can't seem to connect online with this game. Everytime I try to select "Online multiplayer", it gives me the "An error has occurred"message. I never bothered selecting Adhoc since there are no others around playing the same game.

I went back to the main screen and tried to upload my save (under Data Sharing) but it also gives me the same error there. I could connect just fine with the Vita as I could see my friends list and get PSN message notifications but I just can't connect with this.

The Network Connection setting was initially set to "English version" but I changed it to "All" because I will be playing with German friends. I tried setting it back to "All" but I'm getting the same error there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ironcreed

Banned
Loving this so far. It's like Monster Hunter, but more refined and with it's own little flavor. I really like the Mitama system, the environments, the Oni design, having party members with personalities and a bit of a story as well. A really great game to have on my PS4.

My fledgling slayer:

11050799_870063139724121_6095529964696928170_n.jpg

11064623_870062886390813_678566349469137563_n.jpg

ramyeon

Loving this so far. It's like Monster Hunter, but more refined and with it's own little flavor.
More refined than Monster Hunter? Can't agree with that, it definitely has a long way to go in that respect. It's fun, and it is the closest to MonHun in the Hunting Genre imo but at times it feels a bit too hack and slash.

I really dig this as a nice contrast to MH, to the point where I hope they don't over complicate the combat in future titles. Love how simple yet fun everything is. I feel like I can alternate between this and MH without feeling burned out on the genre and that's a plus for me.

The Rifle is very close to being my favorite weapon. Switching and mixing bullets is a lot of fun.

Jathaine

More refined than Monster Hunter? Can't agree with that, it definitely has a long way to go in that respect. It's fun, and it is the closest to MonHun in the Hunting Genre imo but at times it feels a bit too hack and slash.

Whatever it is (hack and slash or what have you), its a hell of a lot of fun.
I'm not much of a bow user but I came up with a fun SPC style build and I'm still getting used to it but this is from yesterday and I am loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcB-WoiR9eQ

Loving this so far. It's like Monster Hunter, but more refined and with it's own little flavor. I really like the Mitama system, the environments, the Oni design, having party members with personalities and a bit of a story as well. A really great game to have on my PS4.

My fledgling slayer:

11050799_870063139724121_6095529964696928170_n.jpg

11064623_870062886390813_678566349469137563_n.jpg

Glad to hear you're digging this game, all the things you enjoy really get ramped up with the kiwami content, it'll get harder but no less rewarding to take down oni, and when you open up infinite mode, that's another can of gummy worms!

I really dig this as a nice contrast to MH, to the point where I hope they don't over complicate the combat in future titles. Love how simple yet fun everything is. I feel like I can alternate between this and MH without feeling burned out on the genre and that's a plus for me.

The Rifle is very close to being my favorite weapon. Switching and mixing bullets is a lot of fun.

right on, it hits a sweet spot, Toukiden does exactly what it sets out to do, there is a sufficient layer of depth to every single weapon for those who want to mash and those who want to get technical..mashing will make it take longer to kill oni while technical play makes short work of them, as it should be!

Whatever it is (hack and slash or what have you), its a hell of a lot of fun.
I'm not much of a bow user but I came up with a fun SPC style build and I'm still getting used to it but this is from yesterday and I am loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcB-WoiR9eQ
I need to look into a spirit build, that looks like fun!

Ogawa-san

I stream it often, but I don't know why I even bother. Who'd watch without sound? I wouldn't.

Really wish KT would fix it.

Ogawa-san

I hadn't realized before, but you can upgrade costumes to rank 8 stuff. Yu's hat for example:

JZHtCgj.jpg

Not spectacular or anything but you can use the stuff without getting yourself killed.

ironcreed

Banned

By more refined, I mean streamlined and trimmed fat. Which can be a good thing for some.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Does the Demo for Kiwami teach you all the weapons and stuff like the demo for AoD. I managed to get a friend to download the demo and I was wondering if it'll do the full game justice.

bobohoro

Does the Demo for Kiwami teach you all the weapons and stuff like the demo for AoD. I managed to get a friend to download the demo and I was wondering if it'll do the full game justice.

The Kiwami Demo is structured the same way as the original Toukiden Demo. So you get to play the whole first chapter as well as some missions of chapter 2, tutorials included. Additionally you can take on some advanced special missions in a seperate mode.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
The Kiwami Demo is structured the same way as the original Toukiden Demo. So you get to play the whole first chapter as well as some missions of chapter 2, tutorials included. Additionally you can take on some advanced special missions in a seperate mode.

Good to hear! I remember playing the crap out of that first demo! Maybe it captures my friend the same way it captured me.

Can someone help me solve this problem, I'm trying to upgrade a weapon, I have all the upgrade parts but when I go the the blacksmith the upgrade slot is still marked as ???

What am I missing here? Will the recipe not show up untilI have the correct number of parts? Is there a guide anywhere for all recipes that includes numbers? Or is it something else?

Incase anyone runs into this problem, you need advance in the phase missions. It doesn't matter if you have the parts, you gotta unlock more missions for the recipes to appear for some reason.

pahamrick

GxfotCK.jpg

My Slayer at the start of chapter 5. I almost regret not picking up AoD, but then I'm glad I waited until Kiwami because I'm really enjoying the rifle weapons. Only chapter 5 and I've already sank about 20 hours into this game, sheesh.

I really want to pick this up but it's currently 75$+ tax in Canada and I cannot justify it. Is it okay on the vita? I'd love the ps4 version...

pots555

I am on the fence about the game. I played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on my Wii U but I was overwhelmed with all of it. It seemed I needed a guide for almost everything. I gave up after 12 hours.

From what I have been reading Toukiden is more accessible. Is this true? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question:

Can I transfer my Vita save to the PS4 *if* the Vita game is Reg1 and the PS4 is reg3?

I guess if I can't that's fine... I'm gonna just do it all over again heh.

Can you crossplay with people playing the Vita version if you grab the PS4 version? Can a cross-region play work? (Reg 3 people playing with Reg 1 folks?)

I really want to pick this up but it's currently 75$+ tax in Canada and I cannot justify it. Is it okay on the vita? I'd love the ps4 version...

I play AoD on the Vita, and I bought Kiwami on the Vita as well. I'd love it if there's a cross-buy function, but there isn't. So I'm happy with the Vita version for now. It really depends on whether you're bringing the Vita around or not. If not, then you're better off getting the PS4 version, since you can remote play around the house with the Vita anyways.

I am on the fence about the game. I played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on my Wii U but I was overwhelmed with all of it. It seemed I needed a guide for almost everything. I gave up after 12 hours.

From what I have been reading Toukiden is more accessible. Is this true? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Toukiden is definitely much more accessible than MH series for sure. Foraging is also easier. Just a star on the floor and click on it once and you're done. No multiple foraging required! You don't even need to play with other players. The AI is a very adequate. In Kiwami, you have options to issue commands to the AI as well!

ironcreed

Banned

Definitely. It's much easier to just jump right into and you start getting materials and stuff pretty early on. That is what I meant by saying it was more refined in my earlier post.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

Yeah you don't have to worry about preparing for a hunt and stocking up. No need to worry about combination of items. The only thing you use out on the battlefield beside your weapon is your recovery skill which you always have around 10 of at the start and 3 other skills that depend on your mitama. It only gets pretty deep when you get mitamas and level those up and finding the right combinations for those.

I'd just recommend playing the demo. That's what won me over on AoD. If you like the demo you'll definitely like the full game.

bobohoro

Its original platform was PSP/Vita, so the controls and playability are fine on it.
Performancewise it's not anything outstanding, sadly. Framerate can get quite low if the screen gets busy, but since it doesn't quite require the precision of Monster Hunter and lets you recover from mistakes in various ways, it's not a real dealbreaker. Don't know how well the game runs on PS4.

Contentwise there is more than enough to justify the price, really. It's a big game that will easily last you 40 hours for the story alone. Multiplayer, trophies and building equipment/mitama sets can get your playtime far into the hundreds.

Toukiden is way more accessible than Monster Hunter. Item management is reduced, there is not much gathering, you don't really have to search for monsters all the time and the difficulty is on the lower end. That is not to say that the game is shallow, there is still enough to fiddle around with once you get deeper into the game, it's just nowhere near the level of complexity and information overload that MH provides.

Get the demo, it will give you roughly the first 5-8 hours of the game to play with and everything transfers over once you decide to get the full game. Just know that the beginning missions are a little boring, since you'll be fighting small monster and stuff, by far the largest part of the game after the introduction is fighting big monsters.

pots555

Thank you all. I got the game after reading your comments. I have just started, but I feel more confortable already. The game looks very good on the vita. I'll take it one oni at the time.

Thank you all. I got the game after reading your comments. I have just started, but I feel more confortable already. The game looks very good on the vita. I'll take it one oni at the time.
That's all we can do..until life throw 2 oni at us -__-

Glad you're liking the game so far, enjoy!

Top Bottom