• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Ogawa-san

Not feeling the Club (meh) or the Naginata though... well the latter seems cool but I kinda worry about not being able to hit parts that are high with it.
I used to main bows just because melee weapons couldn't reliably kill all parts, especially higher ones. But with united destroyer that doesn't matter anymore, so I went from rifle to naginata for everything but those hyperactive bosses.

Great thing about the naginata is that at max hyperskilled you're hitting everything around you, so building the united gauge goes real fast with a team of fast melee. Hayatori + Reki + anyone else fills the bar pretty much every 2min.

Naginata has a jump attack (hold Triangle) and air combos for those hard to reach places. Also, when you enter Hyperskilled Mode, your attacks automatically damage other body parts.

Speaking of Clubs and Naginata, I mained Clubs and finished the first 8 chapters of story mode with it. Switched to Naginata for some variety and its kinda depressing how much more effective I am with it. I'm building up weapon and unity gauges like crazy thanks to how fast and effective the naginata becomes with Hyperskilled Mode.

I find I'm really bad at maintaining hyperskilled mode. Anybody have any tips for not scrubbing it up with the Naginata? I find I'm able to maintain the correct spacing with clubs easily enough, so generally I'm more effective with that weapon.

I find I'm really bad at maintaining hyperskilled mode. Anybody have any tips for not scrubbing it up with the Naginata? I find I'm able to maintain the correct spacing with clubs easily enough, so generally I'm more effective with that weapon.

I have to admit that I'm cheating a little; my equipped Mitama has an ability that builds up Hyperskilled mode faster. I normally get Hyperskilled after two full attack chains.

In terms of avoiding attacks, I guess its just the usual thing of observing Oni and learning their movements. I personally find that Oni have bigger and more obvious tells than the monsters of Monster Hunter, so I don't find it too hard to avoid most attacks.

Beyond that, I use the lunge attack to position myself outside of an Oni's attack range when I see it gearing up for something. This I find most useful when trying to quickly move from the front of the Oni to the back, or vice versa. There's also the naginata's parry ability, but I have to admit I haven't really gotten it down yet.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm liking the Naginata so far. Hyperactive monsters make the Club a hassle tho

Been about a week, and I can't get started on Toukiden because I don't have my copy yet. Gamefly's somehow decided to take their fucking time sending it to me.

I just wanna slay some Oni, man.

Ogawa-san

Anyone knows where to find a Bizarre shield? Only one quest in my log and I can't find the item for it.

I know it's a part drop but that's it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm only like... a little over an hour into the game, but it's starting to click. This is my first hunting game, but I think I could get really damn addicted to this.

Also, the music in this game is insaaaaaane.

Jabba

Banned
Just hit chapter 3. Really liking the game. Glad I decided to pick it up.
I just finished a story mission, I thought I wouldn't finish, was effin great. :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ No kidding! They kill enemies long before i get the chance. I have to go out on missions by myself sometimes just to be able to fight some enemies xD

The music in this game is stupid good.

I just started it and I have no idea how to play the game well, but the soundtrack alone is enough to keep me going.

Ugh, the game is amazing, eventually you'll get good and it'll all fall into place.

I'm really having fun with it now..my only issue is that i don't know how to use the gun for shit so i just am ignoring a gun build for now. Its so complicated. You have to aim, shoot, reload, but you can reload different kinds of bullets weirdly enough which i don't even know what they do....

maouvin

I'm really having fun with it now..my only issue is that i don't know how to use the gun for shit so i just am ignoring a gun build for now. Its so complicated. You have to aim, shoot, reload, but you can reload different kinds of bullets weirdly enough which i don't even know what they do....

Check this for bullets info: http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/manual/toukidenkiwami/en/mnl024.html

I tried running a PLN gun build, but it didn't quite work. But still, I'm too used to the bow to click with the rifle, so I guess I'll move over to a melee option (as a sub weapon - not giving up bow).

maouvin

I vaguely remember there's one where you can type in a search field and it will automatically tell you which. or am I dreaming

This? v

I've started updating the item search with Kiwami stuff:

http://goo.gl/k7m7qn

It's based on my progress but I'm still in chapter 12 and haven't touched phases yet, so there's a lot of stuff missing, even some bosses entirely.

And have I already complained on how great it is to fight a dark monster on a bad illuminated area thanks to the PS4 version's new ambient lightning? Can't wait to fight more than one at a time in such conditions.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Thanks, got it. That was my penultimate quest, now I'm done with them!

Something fun I found out while trying to speed up Harrowhalf farming: decent elemental gauntlets + Agitation + Knowledge+ (Absorb) = infinite dempsey roll.

Also, Reki is still awesome.

Can you explain what each of those do? I use my own Infinite Dempsey roll build which mostly relies on Fervor which restores focus with every precision hit and since the R + O skill with the attack build makes every hit a precision hit you get a pretty good Dempsey roll going.

sensui-tomo

PSN is SensuiTomo, i've been playing for a while now(usually never online back with AoD) i'm generally free whenever, got a mic as well if you like to chat in parties(since i dont think the game natively supports mics) but i play on ps4 and at Phase 9 online and chapter 8 story, willing to do anything really, whether its missions or infinity run. Just send me an friend invite and i'll accept it,(just put Toukiden GAF so i know who its from)

Ogawa-san

And have I already complained on how great it is to fight a dark monster on a bad illuminated area thanks to the PS4 version's new ambient lightning? Can't wait to fight more than one at a time in such conditions.
I love the lightning but it makes things too busy sometimes. Reki and me in hyperskilled using Frenzy sometimes means I can't see anything but spell effects, not even the oni I'm hitting, so I get hit in the face.

Can you explain what each of those do? I use my own Infinite Dempsey roll build which mostly relies on Fervor which restores focus with every precision hit and since the R + O skill with the attack build makes every hit a precision hit you get a pretty good Dempsey roll going.
Agitation makes Flurry faster, it starts out much faster and ramps up to max speed in about 3s. Knowledge+ (Absorb) restores focus when you do damage with an element (fire/water/sky/wind/earth), the amount of focus depending on how much damage you did. So if you're hitting fast enough and with an element the oni is weak to and lots of knowledge, your focus stays steady.

It works well with other weapons too. I haven't put much time into it but I could gouge an entire oni purple with the sword, stay in the air with the C&S or naginata for a much longer time, and spam cursed arrow -> homing arrow all day. As a bonus, anything SPT does now restores focus, and a destroyer will pretty much fill your entire bar.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Grrrahhh grumble grumble having to raise Phases separately from the main story is such a pain in the arse grumble grumble grumble.

Chapter 3 on the story, phase 3 on the MP side of things. There's not a lot of people online available in my phase and ones that do either just stand around doing nothing (WTF) or kicked me as soon as the mission begin (WTF).

WTF, sigh whatever.

Kama_1082

Banned
Grrrahhh grumble grumble having to raise Phases separately from the main story is such a pain in the arse grumble grumble grumble.

Chapter 3 on the story, phase 3 on the MP side of things. There's not a lot of people online available in my phase and ones that do either just stand around doing nothing (WTF) or kicked me as soon as the mission begin (WTF).

WTF, sigh whatever.

you're still like dozens of hours away from Kiwami content. Hope you don't get burned out.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I've never really been too crazy for the story...

But
that moment when the rest of the gang finally comes to save you and Reki was fucking incredible!

Ogawa-san

I had almost 9mil before I started crafting weapons toward that all weapons achievement. I'm down to 3mil and not even close to done.

I really hate the extra branching they've done on crafting this time around. I mean, look at this... If you don't write down everything you have/had, there's no way to get it done.

I thought I'd get ahead by already having all vanilla bows done, nope. It only made it more complicated.

Finally finished the game after 70 hours now on to the post game content!!

Ultimate Oni types, here I come!

I've never really been too crazy for the story...

But
that moment when the rest of the gang finally comes to save you and Reki was fucking incredible!

Word..I actually love the story and quirky characters, and when everything comes together it's awesome how it resolves itself, kiwami content is really good..

I had almost 9mil before I started crafting weapons toward that all weapons achievement. I'm down to 3mil and not even close to done.

I really hate the extra branching they've done on crafting this time around. I mean, look at this... If you don't write down everything you have/had, there's no way to get it done.

I thought I'd get ahead by already having all vanilla bows done, nope. It only made it more complicated.
Do you mean you need to build more stuff than you can hold, so you need to keep records to make sure you don't miss anything or craft it twice? When you're getting ready to craft something, there's a checkbox that shows whether or not you've ever owned one. Does that not help you, or do I just not understand what you mean?

Ogawa-san

The checkbox helps telling you that you had that weapon at some point. But when it's deep into some upgrade path, it doesn't help as much because you might not even know/remember it existed. For example:
Code:
5. Royal Rifle [S]                             
        6. True Royal Rifle [S]                
                9. Rifle of Kings [S]*         
        7. Fireblaze Rifle [F]                 
                9. Burnblaze Rifle [F]*        
                8. Queen Purity Rifle [F]*             
                7. Hayasasura Rifle            
                        Guiding Crow [E]**     
                                Wither Petalscatter [Po]**
        6. Master's Breath [Wi]                
                9. Final Breath [Wi]*
Once you make a Hayasasura Rifle for example, the previous weapons will be gone. If you want to make anything else from that branch, you start by making a new Royal Rifle and taking it from there. You won't know which ones you're missing from Fireblaze Rifle until you make one and check its upgrade list.

In the first game most weapons had only one upgrade path, so it was much simpler to keep track of stuff.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I wish the game itself would keep track of weapon and armor trees. It already does this for materials and combo boosts anyway. I also wish you could equip mitama straight out of the combo book. Some of the things in the game really could be streamlined.

Ogawa-san

Anyone gotten a soul steel from the guardian tree yet? I've never gotten one and it's been capped at 3k haku for so long, I'm starting to think I'm missing something.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Here's a replay of a recent Toukiden: Kiwami multiplayer stream we recorded on Twitch. Two PlayStation TV players (including the broadcaster) and one PlayStation 4 player. In the video, we run through the first phase of missions and defeat the first boss.

Nice! Although it is always a bit frustrating to watch someone learn the ropes for the first time and you just want to tell them how to do stuff and what things do XD I'm about halfway through the video but I'm guessing you liked it? Are you gonna stream it again in the future?

Anyone gotten a soul steel from the guardian tree yet? I've never gotten one and it's been capped at 3k haku for so long, I'm starting to think I'm missing something.

Why are you looking for soul steel? But I think you can get them from doing the infinite missions. I always kinda skip through what I get from the tree...

Ogawa-san

There's an achievement for getting a soul steel from the tree. I was kind of hoping it wasn't an RNG trophy but just me doing something wrong...

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
There's an achievement for getting a soul steel from the tree. I was kind of hoping it wasn't an RNG trophy but just me doing something wrong...

How much do you have to pay to "satiate" the tree? I think you might just have to progress through the game (because I think that the rewards it gives depends on where you are in the game for example, you wont get high rank items if you're still in the first chapter), and max out the tree.

people

How much do you have to pay to "satiate" the tree?
Eventually the Tree will ask for 3000 Haku, I haven't seen any increase beyond that. After paying X number of times (I didn't count, but maybe 30?) it will request some items. Not sure if they are fixed, but for me the request was:
Skyblade x3
Divine thunder wing x2
Jollux truehorn x1
http://imgur.com/a/hZKoj

Fulfilling this request rewarded me with Soulsteel and the trophy. This cycle repeated a few times, but I didn't have the materials every time and the request would go away. Not sure if these count towards completed quests as well, because I have completed all the quests in Yuu's list, but not the 'Workhorse' trophy for completing all quests.

Ogawa-san

I haven't gotten that request yet, but I did complete every regular quest and got the trophy.

I'm almost positive I'm over 30 donations at 3k haku, no dice... Oh well, at least it still gives decent items, so it's not like it's the only reason I keep throwing haku at it.

bobohoro

Yeah I'm way past 30 donations with 3000 haku and haven't gotten the request either.
Oh well.
Plat will take enormous amounts of time anyway, so that one will pop sooner or later.
At least my mitama list is filling up, I'm around 230 of 'em already.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Eventually the Tree will ask for 3000 Haku, I haven't seen any increase beyond that. After paying X number of times (I didn't count, but maybe 30?) it will request some items. Not sure if they are fixed, but for me the request was:

http://imgur.com/a/hZKoj

Awesome! Thanks for this. They seem to be Ultimate rank drops too so it's late game stuff.
Not sure if these count towards completed quests as well, because I have completed all the quests in Yuu's list, but not the 'Workhorse' trophy for completing all quests.

Have you completed the multiplayer quests?

For example:
Code:
5. Royal Rifle [S]                             
        6. True Royal Rifle [S]                
                9. Rifle of Kings [S]*         
        7. Fireblaze Rifle [F]                 
                9. Burnblaze Rifle [F]*        
                8. Queen Purity Rifle [F]*             
                7. Hayasasura Rifle            
                        Guiding Crow [E]**     
                                Wither Petalscatter [Po]**
        6. Master's Breath [Wi]                
                9. Final Breath [Wi]*
Once you make a Hayasasura Rifle for example, the previous weapons will be gone. If you want to make anything else from that branch, you start by making a new Royal Rifle and taking it from there. You won't know which ones you're missing from Fireblaze Rifle until you make one and check its upgrade list.
Ah, I see what you mean. What I would probably do is just go through the weapon tree as methodically as possible. The first thing I'd do is craft five Royal Rifles; one for each of the final forms in the branch. If I'd already crafted the Petalscatter as part of my normal play-through, then I'd only need four RR to complete the branch. However if my main was the Guiding Crow because the Petalscatter is a joke weapon I never crafted, then I'd still need five Royals to complete the branch, lest I ruin my Crow.

Obviously, you'll still need a full tree to reference, and yeah, you'll probably want to check stuff off as you complete it, but being systematic should still help smooth the process. Sitting down and doing the entire Royal Rifle branch at once before moving on to the Phantom Rifle variations will reduce the need to double-check everything. When you get to the Royal branch, it'll be easy to verify you've already had the Final Breath and the Burnblaze, leaving only three sub-branches to follow before you tick off the entire Royal branch.

Did it ask you for specific materials yet?

beaten hard

I didn't have the materials and chose to just give money..it runs out in three missions though..The requests must be random, it didn't ask for what the other guy posted.

EDIT:

El_Pistolerio hit it on the head, ultimate mode opens up AFTER the story is completed.. I got the request AFTER I beat the games story, i was still only giving the tree 1700.

Check this for bullets info: http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/manual/toukidenkiwami/en/mnl024.html

I tried running a PLN gun build, but it didn't quite work. But still, I'm too used to the bow to click with the rifle, so I guess I'll move over to a melee option (as a sub weapon - not giving up bow).

PLN gun build with Lady Iga, Taira no Nirotsune and Oda Nobunyaga is pretty cool (at last on my ph7 , just finished ph5 and stomped red missions ph6-7 in 1h)

Its great when u got SNP/EXP gun (snipe parts fast, then spam aoe; all by circle)

anyway bloodborne is waiting for NG+ i cant stop playing Toukiden lol

but really Koei - try save video - no sound; why do i have to put my avermedia here, wanted to show my 2 friends ph5 fight, = 2 psn copies sold; dont get it; in the end I didnt bother; i wonder how it hurts sales, niche game mustbe on socials; even mainstream games spam socials;

eastx

Nice! Although it is always a bit frustrating to watch someone learn the ropes for the first time and you just want to tell them how to do stuff and what things do XD I'm about halfway through the video but I'm guessing you liked it? Are you gonna stream it again in the future?

Thanks for checking it out! We're planning to stream again on Monday or Tuesday at 8pm Central/6pm Pacific. We could use a fourth player if you wanted to join in (Skype required for voice chat), or alternately we'd welcome advice via Twitch chat during the stream. My channel is Twitch.tv/eastxtwitch.

but really Koei - try save video - no sound; why do i have to put my avermedia here, wanted to show my 2 friends ph5 fight, = 2 psn copies sold; dont get it; in the end I didnt bother; i wonder how it hurts sales, niche game mustbe on socials; even mainstream games spam socials;

Dos the PS4 version not allow sound to be broadcast, or did you just run into some technical issue? The sound recorded fine for me from PS TV, but I do use an HDCP stripper.

Top Bottom