• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Shengar

Ended up picking this up. How I'm gonna split my time between this, Axiom Verge and Bloodborne? I don't know, but I am just not gonna question it aha. I am thinking of just starting a fresh new character.
If I pick this up now I must split it between Bloodborne, MH4U, and Pillars of Eternity. Publisher, stop publishing great games so close pls

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
The best version obv
Vita

0ve8E9N.png

Also, I find hunting games to be ideal for time splitting. The format doesn't really require very long sessions of play, you can spread them out nice and thin.

Alright, put together some toukiden vita wallpapers for myself and others.

Here's the original art: LINK
Here's the wallpapers with my overlay (to make the page "numbers" easier to see): LINK
and Here's the wallpapers without my overlay: LINK
Some of these turned out better than others. The portraits are SUPER nice, but obviously the aspect ratio isn't great for a letter-oriented wallpaper. Might try making wallpapers with multiple portraits in each if I get bored.

Also, I find hunting games to be ideal for time splitting. The format doesn't really require very long sessions of play, you can spread them out nice and thin.
My thoughts exactly. I'm pretty busy with school work, and find that I can only play Bloodborne the right way, without rushing into my death, on the weekend after work. This game will be a nice "pick me up" before bed time to keep my thumbs busy until exams season is over.

Best version is ps4 easily, if you can double dip that's even better, but spending hours upon hours with friends fighting difficult oni, especially in the higher levels is best on comfy couch, with a prettier picture to go with it, if you're playing by yourself and don't intend to do long stretches, sure have fun with the pick up and play ease of vita, but long sessions with friends begs for the ps4 version.

Those DLC costumes have really good stats. I almost feel like I'm cheating in the early game, but I like looking like Hayatori..

Scher

If I pick this up now I must split it between Bloodborne, MH4U, and Pillars of Eternity. Publisher, stop publishing great games so close pls

That's pretty much how I feel right now. I really want to get this game, but I've got too much else right now! I'll probably see about picking it up sometime during the week that way I have the game for whenever I get around to it.

Also, I guess I'll go ahead and post my PSN ID if anyone wants to add me! I'll hopefully be getting around to this game soon enough.

PSN: Scherii

Emalde

I've always used Kusarigama and splashed over to Gauntlets when I wanted something where I could mash circle as hard as possible and feel good about myself, but holy cow does Naginata take the cake on that now.

Can anyone do a breakdown on the types of bullets? I spent roughly an hour on the PSP version of Kiwami a few days ago to get a feel for things before jumping in and didn't realize there were more than the 3 shots that the starter rifle has (which I think are just PRC/SPR/EXP in the english version?)

ZeroAKA

I've always used Kusarigama and splashed over to Gauntlets when I wanted something where I could mash circle as hard as possible and feel good about myself, but holy cow does Naginata take the cake on that now.

Can anyone do a breakdown on the types of bullets? I spent roughly an hour on the PSP version of Kiwami a few days ago to get a feel for things before jumping in and didn't realize there were more than the 3 shots that the starter rifle has (which I think are just PRC/SPR/EXP in the english version?)
The manual does a good job of explaining the different bullet types.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I was messing about a bit with tthe chain & sickle and found its moveset pretty awesome. It's a cool mix of ranged (-ish) attacks and melee ones including a cool "grapplink hook" like move where you use the chain to hook to an enemy. However, am I right in assuming that chain & sickle are better suited against normal mobs instead of bosses? Mostly because its moveset appears intended for crowd control and attacks on multiple targets considering the wide sweeping reach of your attacks. Are the sickle moves + the chain jump as viable against bosses as other weapons?

Kas

I was messing about a bit with tthe chain & sickle and found its moveset pretty awesome. It's a cool mix of ranged (-ish) attacks and melee ones including a cool "grapplink hook" like move where you use the chain to hook to an enemy. However, am I right in assuming that chain & sickle are better suited against normal mobs instead of bosses? Mostly because its moveset appears intended for crowd control and attacks on multiple targets considering the wide sweeping reach of your attacks. Are the sickle moves + the chain jump as viable against bosses as other weapons?

In my limited experience, it is. It can sweep and hit numerous Oni parts at once. I've actually found it pretty bad at crowd control. Could just means I suck though.

maouvin

How big is the Vita DL file?

3270MB

On vanilla C&S was all about activating the O special (dunno how they call it, "talisman" maybe?), which allows you to chain the hookshot/ibara thing. Then you launch yourself to the skies and keep hitting and re-launching until your stamina depletes. If you pick Hatsuho to come along you can see her doing that.
But as some weapons got small tweaks/changes on Kiwami, the thing I wrote above might work differently now.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
How big is the Vita DL file?

Menu tells me it's 3266 MB, but I do have the 2 free Mitamas from PSN, though those don't make much of a difference in size.

Edit:
In my limited experience, it is. It can sweep and hit numerous Oni parts at once. I've actually found it pretty bad at crowd control. Could just means I suck though.
On vanilla C&S was all about activating the O special (dunno how they call it, "talisman" maybe?), which allows you to chain the hookshot/ibara thing. Then you launch yourself to the skies and keep hitting and re-launching until your stamina depletes. If you pick Hatsuho to come along you can see her doing that.
But as some weapons got small tweaks/changes on Kiwami, the thing I wrote above might work differently now.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably switch to it for a little while and try that technique you mentioned.

bobohoro

Finished the Kiwami storyline. Was pretty nice, although some characters sadly didn't get as much screen time as they deserved. Overall it's still the best story with the most awesome cast in any hunting game, by far.

Sadly, the final boss Oni looks kinda neat, but is no threat at all. Thanatoceros remains best new monster so far, but I have a few new ones left still.

A few of my main problems with Toukiden still remain and need some serious change in a sequel. First of all, nearly all fights are won after you've torn most limbs from an Oni, which is rather easy to do, especially with the new team attack. After that it is just wailing on a helpless monster for way too long, which can get rather boring. Even those few enemies that regrow limbs aren't that much more of a threat, since you can anticipate that moment and save up your destroyer and unity gauge to make short work of their dangerous phase. One way I could see that remedied is to have a second win condition, where after you destroyed every limb the Oni dies. Of course this leads to a change in skills as well, where there are some that focus more on part breaking and others that attack the total HP of monsters. With the new mitima PLN they already showed some thoughts in that direction, I hope they do some more stuff in that direction.

Compatibility and mitama-leveling are also initially nice, but add an additional barrier to change up your setup. A +9 weapon usually outperforms most other weapons in its rank and even some in the next. Mitama gain high amounts of exp per missions, which makes running around in maxed out builds a waste. This leads to the player chosing non-optimal builds for far too long of her play time and leaves serious experimentation for later on in the game. A more flexible system, where your compatibility gain for both weapons/armour and mitama is pooled and the player is allowed to distribute this at her own accord would make things easier and again more varied.

There is a whole lot more I could think of that needs improvement, but I'll leave it at that for now. My impressions overall still remain positive. Toukiden was already a promising first entry and Kiwami is a substantial upgrade in many aspects. Koei build a good foundation and I look forward to what they might do with a, hopefully possible, sequel.

Kas

Well, it's finally here. Thank god I don't work till tomorrow nigbt, because I'll playing all night today.

JJP12

So is pretty much everyone that played the first game importing their old character into Kiwami? Part of me wants to create a new character and play everything over using a new weapon

So is pretty much everyone that played the first game importing their old character into Kiwami? Part of me wants to create a new character and play everything over using a new weapon
I'm starting from scratch but that's just me being dumb. I wanna earn my stuff again, the game is fun anyway.

maouvin

You can import your character but reset your story progress. Would be a nice way to keep your money/gear/mitamas but start anew with a different, low level weapon.

And you can change your character while importing too, so I see absolutely no reason to discard your old data.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Picked this up and transferred my character over. I only put a measly four and a half hours into the original Toukiden, so starting over wouldn't be a big deal, but can you change weapons or are you stuck with whatever you select in the beginning? I was a bow user but am thinking a melee weapon might be better.

Picked this up and transferred my character over. I only put a measly four and a half hours into the original Toukiden, so starting over wouldn't be a big deal, but can you change weapons or are you stuck with whatever you select in the beginning? I was a bow user but am thinking a melee weapon might be better.

You can change/make whatever you want at any time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its not like the game is actually difficult so making your stuff over again isnt that bad.

The endgame for me is being able to at least duo all the regular game large oni, still searching for the best mitama to allow for very high damage and weapon gauge buildup.

Seeing those white astral drumbles is pretty much a guaranteed Mitama, you can only see these dudes with the eye of the heavens, chilling to the side somewhere, even in giant oni fights.

I underestimated mitama, so far im setup for health, damage and extra spell stock!

Next game needs the option to switch between two weapon types in game, more variation in skin swapped enemies, not all of them get good visually different variants, and adding an ability to swap spells between mitama making for custom setups would be great. About to go into the kiwami content loved the vanilla, would recommend this to any Koei game fan.

My copy is shipped. Just gotta wait a few days for it to arrive now.

Though a question since I've played the Kiwami demo. The character data from that demo is only transferable to the Kiwami portion of the game and not the campaign from the original game, correct?

bobohoro

My copy is shipped. Just gotta wait a few days for it to arrive now.

Though a question since I've played the Kiwami demo. The character data from that demo is only transferable to the Kiwami portion of the game and not the campaign from the original game, correct?

No, the demo let's you play the first 1,5 chapters of the original with the revamped systems of Kiwami, so you pick up where you left it. And get the special equipment if you've done the special missions.

Edit: Oh wait, if you mean the actual original game (as in The Age Of Demons) than I don't really know.

Really wanted this as I have it on Vita, but after seeing $60 no way. Should have been $40 on ps4 and Vita.

But it is 40$ on Vita, no?

Really wanted this as I have it on Vita, but after seeing $60 no way. Should have been $40 on ps4 and Vita.
It's more than worth it if you don't already own the game. I feel bad for paying full price for type 0 hd, should have put all of that money toward this game.

Ogawa-san

I've 100%'d the first game and I still think $40/$60 is a fair price. It's like SSD, at first I didn't get the full price tag then I found out the stupid lot of new content.

Might not be super fresh new content since a bunch of new bosses feel like re-reskins, but if you liked the first game it's still good enough.

I did not import AoD save data (for some reason I bought, but never actually played it) and I received the following in game:

- Angel Paws Outfit (Tenko)
- Yamato Outfit
- Horō Outfit
- Yamato Outfit White
- Rinne Outfit
- Hatsuho's Oni Mask
The message from 'Slayer HQ': "You have been awarded [Outfit] as a purchase bonus!"

PS4 EU/PAL disc version, I did not specifically pre-order the game, although I have had the game since Tuesday (24th)

Can anyone playing on a Vita in NA confirm something similar?

JJP12

I'm starting from scratch but that's just me being dumb. I wanna earn my stuff again, the game is fun anyway.

I decided to be dumb too :p

but after seeing this...
You can import your character but reset your story progress. Would be a nice way to keep your money/gear/mitamas but start anew with a different, low level weapon.

And you can change your character while importing too, so I see absolutely no reason to discard your old data.
Now I feel silly lol if only I stuck around to read this earlier. I'm almost done chapter 3 with my new created character and I've been having a blast. The rifle is a lot of fun and it makes destroying limbs much easier than when I used the sword.

Currently streaming my first play session. Feel free to give me some tips!

Your mitamas are super important, try to groom a set with the same spell types(I chose DCT) and every time you level up, keep the "skills" you think work best with your spell type and also your weapon

Example : one of my mitama helps me gain ultimate weapon attack meter every time I do a critical strike , and another mitama does a critical strike every time I do a running attack for dagger.. so I'm constantly gaining meter while slashing and running and regularly unleashing body part part severing terror.

You can respect mitama at any time if you feel there was a skill you chose not to get that you changed your mind.

Soon you will be able to set 3 mitama on one weapon and utilize all of their skills. So deciding which 3 you may use when that time comes and make sure their skills fit your play style.

You do not have to do all the missions per chapter, just the red ones and at most 2 to 4 others

Try to keep the most powerful armor on you to add to your longevity amd powerful weapons to hit ad hard as possible, I didn't pay too much attention to elements, and dominated by good mitama choices and blessings.

send that tenKo out often and make sure she's well fed before she leaves!

mine brings back rarity 4 stuff almost exclusively, i gave it the angel garment

Whatever weapon you choose go to the captain to practice using it, there are a few extra techniques for each weapon that are not spelled out.

Weapon ultimate attacks and team ultimate attacks are both triangle and circle once each respective gauge is filled.

Later on unlimited battles give mitama out like candy with each defeated boss!
6 battles and so far got 4 or 5 mitamas!

Ogawa-san

I just got two mitamas in one mission, neither being story-related. One of them doesn't belong to the mission's age.

I wonder if Anomaly mean areas can be of different ages...

Shengar

Desire sensor?

You know in a particular time where you randomly hunt a monster/demon, get material drops and all of that shit then realize see of them have high rarity compared to others? That's a rare material but you don't have any particular use for it at the moment. Apparently your friend need one for their weapon upgrade, but after dozen of hunts or so they still couldn't get it. That is Desire Sensor: the moment you want something, it stopped dropping from the enemy.

Top Bottom