• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2015 |OT| It starts with a BOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

waypoetic

Banned
oh damn yeah.

but still, i don't get Etixx strategy at the end. Either send Kwiatowski or Martin in front for the win, don't bother with Cav' but eeeh. Dumbest loss the yellow possible.

Cav isn't great on climbs so he wasn't their man today for the last meters. Tony was only in front because of the yellow jersey. Kwiatkowski is the locomotive and Stybar was probably in such great shape today that he got the orders to take it home. I'm proud of "my" team and they keep on fighting strong. Real sad about Tony, looked like he touched the wheel on that guy in front of him; who started to ride out of the saddle, which always makes your speed drop a bit.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
A broken collarbone has been confirmed for Martin, but they haven't decided if he'll drop out of the race. But he most likely will.

All these crashes suck big time. After Cancellara Martin is now the second yellow jersey to abandon the race, after only 6 days.

It's difficult to think of changes that would decrease the number of accidents in the tour. With such huge stakes in this biggest race (the Tour is still by far the #1), riders feel it's worth to take certain risks.

Some have proposed protective gear, such as elbow or knee guards. But the thing is, that probably will increase risk-taking by riders, instead of making things safer.

Joni

Harsher punishments for dangerous behaviour. Unless you do it in a sprint as a sprinter, you can get away with almost anything with a slap on the wrist.

Kitsuné

Reducing the number of teams or the number of riders on a team might help reduce the amount of crashes. Especially during the Tour, almost everybody wants to be in front all the time, and you get a lot of squirming and risk-taking because of that.

The Jury has confirmed that there won't be a yellow jersey in the peloton today, so Froome won't be in yellow just yet.

waypoetic

Banned
Kitsuné;171475826 said:
Reducing the number of teams or the number of riders on a team might help reduce the amount of crashes. Especially during the Tour, almost everybody wants to be in front all the time, and you get a lot of squirming and risk-taking because of that.

The Jury has confirmed that there won't be a yellow jersey in the peloton today, so Froome won't be in yellow just yet.

Yeah i read the article on Velonews about that; the BMC DS has talked about that and i think he might be onto something.

Atrophis

Who was the Sky guy who stayed up after Nibali hit him? Looked like Froome. Could have been an expensive crash, looks like Nibali is okay too.

Yeah, it was Froome. For some reason Nibali thought Froome caused him to crash so threw his water bottle at him after crossing the finish line!

Kabouter

Teams being limited to, say, six riders would make things more entertaining too in that it'd become harder to control the race.

Joni

MTN-Qhubeka is pressing charges against Branislau Samoilau from CCC for calling Teklehaimanot a "fucking ******". You can guess what ****** means. He has since apologized and will give one month wages to the charity Qhubeka.
Also noticed they're kinda wrong about their rider being the first African to wear the polka dots. Froome and Virenque have both done that. On the other hand, it is promising for him that the only other guys born in Africa also went on to wear the yellow.

neoanarch

MTN-Qhubeka is pressing charges against Branislau Samoilau from CCC for calling Teklehaimanot a "fucking ******". You can guess what ****** means. He has since apologized and will give one month wages to the charity Qhubeka.
Also noticed they're kinda wrong about their rider being the first African to wear the polka dots. Froome and Virenque have both done that. On the other hand, it is promising for him that the only other guys born in Africa also went on to wear the yellow.
According to the BBC the incident happened during the Tour of Austria.

JPKellams

So, how much time does Quintana/Movistar get back in the TTT? 20 seconds? 30 seconds?

He'd have to attack every day in the mountains to get the other 90 back...

Joni

According to the BBC the incident happened during the Tour of Austria.
AH, my source had it incorrect. Still as bad but at least we don't have to toss someone out of the Tour.

So, how much time does Quintana/Movistar get back in the TTT? 20 seconds? 30 seconds?
Against BMC, Tinkoff and Team Sky? Not too much probably. Considering what Sky and BMC have brought, and how they normally do on the TTT.

JPKellams

AH, my source had it incorrect. Still as bad but at least we don't have to toss someone out of the Tour.

Against BMC, Tinkoff and Team Sky? Not too much probably. Considering what Sky and BMC have brought, and how they normally do on the TTT.

The Movistars had 20 seconds on BMC last Vuelta on a flat course against similar lineups. This is a hilly course with a similar climber heavy Movistar lineup but they also have Dowsett.

BMC is the biggest threat with TVG and Rohan Dennis both able to pull.

Joni

Contador and Gesink have decided to go on the attack against the road. There is no reason to keep waiting with falling until after the official start...

I expect Nibali to get at least 30 seconds back in the TTT, I don't think Sky are that strong and Astana have it done as something they can make time up with.

Should be exciting.

Pacbois

Teklehaimanot already strengthened his polka dot jersey hold today :)
By scoring one point

Wonder how long can he keep it. He did a great job in the Dauphiné but I expect the mountain stages to be really competitive this year with no TT the last weekend. Also I can see Pinot going for the polka dot jersey as he's pretty much already out of the podium.

Kabouter

Wonder how long can he keep it. He did a great job in the Dauphiné but I expect the mountain stages to be really competitive this year with no TT the last weekend. Also I can see Pinot going for the polka dot jersey as he's pretty much already out of the podium.

Well, I mean, you get double points for a climb you finish on. There's a bunch of those this year. I would say it's probably going to be a GC contender. Pinot doesn't seem like he's in great form, so unless that changes, I can't see him taking it.

Kitsuné

Thomas De Gendt from Lotto - Soudal is riding in front of the peloton with a broken rib and a bruised shoulder, like a boss. He did the same thing yesterday for quite a long time.

Linius

NpV1mdY.jpg

waypoetic

Banned
well contrary to what u implied before u seem to know cyclingnews very well. Still havent seen those pics of froome i was talking about right?
You were talking about their forum ;) And i rarely visit cyclingnews, but i do follow them on Facebook. I read Velonews more often than CN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom