• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2015 |OT| It starts with a BOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Barely got to see the finish live, but that surely was interesting. Mollema and Gesink both improved their position as well, good day. Gesink still didn't finish a single stage outside the top 30.

kottila

If you look at Tony Martin, Mark Cavendish, Zdenek Stybar, Andre Greipel, Rohan Dennis and Joaquim Rodríguez you're seeing healthy people. I don't have that impression if I look at Froome.

If you get at levels that people are wondering if it is liveable, than there is a problem. If you get at levels where your food is a specialized liquid that costs €2700, than you have problem.

Yeah, you're comparing a climber with sprinters, time triallists and classics riders, of course they will look different. Cyclists who want to perform in the mountains have been starving themselves for ever, that's nothing new. Riis used to ride long rides with almost only water and then take sleeping pills when he came back to prevent himself from eating. Rasmussen looked like a ghost and french coaches prevented their riders from eating.

Quintana is probably at least 10kg lighter, but since he's much shorter, he looks more normal. In the mountain the only number that counts is w/kg

Joni

Yeah, you're comparing a climber with sprinters, time triallists and classics riders, of course they will look different.
I know, but it shows it has nothing to do with cyclists. It is with this specific group trying to win the Tour.

Cyclists who want to perform in the mountains have been starving themselves for ever, that's nothing new. Riis used to ride long rides with almost only water and then take sleeping pills when he came back to prevent himself from eating. Rasmussen looked like a ghost and french coaches prevented their riders from eating.
The Pantani, Ullrich generation didn't look like that. Even Nibali and Contador didn't look this extreme the years they won.

Quintana is probably at least 10kg lighter, but since he's much shorter, he looks more normal. In the mountain the only number that counts is w/kg
Yes, your fat percentage is related to your overal weight and your height. Just like a model of 2m at 50 kg is a lot different from a 1m60 girl at 50 kg. Team Sky is amongst the group pushing it down a lot.

kottila

People have different body shapes and the taller you are, the thinner you will look. Search for rasmussen, brajkovic, jack horner, hamsten, hamilton. All skeleton thin. Nibali has been 61kg at 179 which is super skinny. Easier for lance, ullrich, indurain to climb faster with higher weight when they had plenty of chemicals to help them

I don't think froome looks particularly good or healthy, but competing at upper levels of sport is not about health.

Joni

People have different body shapes and the taller you are, the thinner you will look.
You could apply the same argument to anorexic models, people have different body types. It is only the question how you got there and what it means for your body. Even Sky thought it was unhealthy three years ago. And he is this thin now, he'll lose weight in the Tour like everyone else. 6% body fat is not some sort of thing you achieve by having a different body type, under 5% is considered bad, very bad even for athletes.

Easier for lance, ullrich, indurain to climb faster with higher weight when they had plenty of chemicals to help them
Rasmussen also had help. They also don't need to compete with Lance, Ullrich and Indurain whose predecessors also had higher fat percentage. Merckx was 74 kg at the Tour, Froome who is 1 cm bigger was at 66 kg last month and is still lower now.

yeah, Nibali is in poor form, Contador is struggling from trying to do the double, Quintana is poor as well.

It saddens me to say, but this tour looks like it is Froome's to lose.

The TTT will be a huge role in how things line up going into the first mountain stages. Remember that Quintana made huge gains in 2013 in the mountains. I don't think it's Froome's to loose, yet, with TvG and Contador still under a minute behind.

Astana train blowing up early in the stage was not a good sign. They got it back together, but I don't think it will be enough to gain anything on BMC or Sky.

Seeing how comfortable Quintana was through the end of this has me wondering if he picks a stage in the Pyrenees and just hammers it. It certainly will come down to the time gap after today as he's almost two minutes off Froome.

JPKellams

Movistar strategy in the mountains is going to be REALLY interesting. Izaguirre & Anacona can be sent up the road with Valverde looking after Quintana. The thing is Valverde is high enough up the GC that he will have to be marked at all times as well. So you could conceivably send send the other two up the road all next week and try to crack someone, then in the third week totally burn Valverde to blow apart groups and then send Quintana on the attack with Izaguirre alongside him.

That will absolutely crack Nibali and probably (and sadly) Contador. Not sure if it cracks Tejay. Froome will ride elbows out looking at his stem regardless of who is up the road. Movistar made up 2 minutes in last years Giro, and that is the task now.

BTW - Amazing GC top 10 today. :) Gonna be a great two weeks.

bjaelke

CJuWT8JWcAALf91.jpg:large

Nibali lost a lot of time this weekend (44 seconds). Not looking good going into the mountains.

That was soo good, Froome is clearly the winner today.
Quintana can smile :eek:

If you mean the tour it's still far too early to tell. Tuesday will be an interesting day to see how things transpire.

If you mean for the day overall I'd say TvG and Quintana were the winners. TvG lost no time and Quintana gained a huge amount of time on Contador.

kottila

You could apply the same argument to anorexic models, people have different body types. It is only the question how you got there and what it means for your body. Even Sky thought it was unhealthy three years ago. And he is this thin now, he'll lose weight in the Tour like everyone else. 6% body fat is not some sort of thing you achieve by having a different body type, under 5% is considered bad, very bad even for athletes.

Well he did win 3 years ago, so it must have worked okay, even if he did fatigue in the last week. Even a bonk on alpe de huez.
Ps. According to various googlehits, lance had a body fat % of 3-5 at the start of his tours (none of the sources looked too convincing).
Check out ski jumpers too see what happens when weight is all thst matters, they even had to bring in new rules to prevent them from going anorexic. Of course they only have a few seconds of physical activity per competition

Linius

Man that's quite a shocker. Luckily testicular cancer is usually very manageable if you're at it on time. All the best to him for a speedy recovery.

waypoetic

Banned
Stybar is staying with Etixx for two more years by the way. Just announced today. It's a nail biter whether or not Kwiatkowski will...

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Stybar is staying with Etixx for two more years by the way. Just announced today. It's a nail biter whether or not Kwiatkowski will...

That's great news! Stybar is one of my favorite riders in the whole Peloton, I've been following him since his first year in cyclocross. Such a nice guy! And he has the potential to win a monument at some point in his career. I'm glad he's staying with Etixx, but I'm a bit biased about that team because they are based in my home town (Wevelgem, Belgium).
I hope Kwiat stays as well, he's been doing a lot of great work in this tour, and he's such a talent!

About Basso, his team doctor was quoted as saying "If I had to choose a cancer myself, it would be testicular cancer". It's very manageable nowadays, with a chance of recovery of 98%. Still sucks big time for him of course. Fuck cancer. With him already being 36 years old I hope it isn't the end of his career ...

I haven't been able to follow the last two stages, but today I'm back at it! Looking forward to todays stage, I'm expecting a spectacle those last 15 k's :)

Pacbois

it's also that day when the french broadcast is almost unwatchable because commentators will be going on about why today needs to be a french win all day.

Go Pinot, Bardet, Péraud, Rolland or Vuillermoz, do it.

There is nothing like the first day in the high mountains.

Should be interesting.

Not really sure what to expect.

Froome might try and should everyone who is boss.

I am hoping Nibali might go for it today, and just as I type this Kirby says the same thing on Eurosport lol, because if he doesn't have the legs today then he won't have the legs come the Alps

Linius

The Dutchies are saying there's some virus going around the Astana team. Not just Boom who's under the weather apparently.

For today I just hope Gesink and Mollema can hold and go up the mountain alongside the other favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom