• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2017 |OT|

Joni

Unwritten rules are bullshit.

If he can't beat Froome fair, he isn't very impressive, is he? Especially as he needs to wait, didn't manage to shake off any competitor and even his own team mate didn't want to help.
If he wants to make a move like that, he needs to take responsibility and drive.

Dick move, but then again modern cycling is all about being a dick, rider or team level. I remember Froome's tactical yellow jersey piss break last year.

If he can't beat Froome fair, he isn't very impressive, is he? Especially as he needs to wait, didn't manage to shake off any competitor and even his own team mate didn't want to help.

It is a race. Imagine in any motor sport that all the drivers decide to stop because the leader has a technical.

Sky didn't give a fuck when Nibali had an incident in the Vuelta a couple years back. Always complete bullshit.

Joni

It is a race. Imagine in any motor sport that all the drivers decide to stop because the leader has a technical.

Sky didn't give a fuck when Nibali had an incident in the Vuelta a couple years back. Always complete bullshit.

He didn't need to stop if he attacked before. But it is a damn asshole move to attack because of the technical. Aru at least realized that and chickened out, trying to find support.

He didn't need to stop if he attacked before. But it is a damn asshole move to attack because of the technical. Aru at least realized that and chickened out, trying to find support.

It is pathetic he didn't continue.

Part of racing is the equipment used, if that equipment fucks up that is part of it.

The yellow jersey wouldn't wait for anyone else's technical.

It's one thing to wait, another all together to deliberately attack. I don't think anyone expects the whole group to stop but to actually ride around the yellow jersey with his arm up is crap.

I may be a hopeless romantic when it comes to cycling but I absolutely think the yellow jersey deserves respect and I say this as someone actively rooting against Froome.

Joni

If that is the only way Aru could win, he'd be laughed at for years. He can show he is better by attacking now.

NewDust

You don't win a tour by being kind. You can be kind, and that might be rewarded later, but don't count on it.

Something something Quintana, something something Dumoulin.

It's especially odd to me from the perspective of a motorsport fan.

On the cycling aspect, I went out today and did a sportif with puncture proof tyres and a bulletproof groupset because I didn't want problems. I would have loved for everyone to stop for me if I'd gone out with paper thin tyres and a glass frame. :D

If that is the only way Aru could win, he'd be laughed at for years. He can show he is better by attacking now.

Like they laughed at Contador back whenever? It's a legit win, rules are rules. A big part of why Froome wins is that the other riders kowtow to him.

It is pathetic he didn't continue.

Part of racing is the equipment used, if that equipment fucks up that is part of it.

Yet if it was the other way round you would be complaining and calling froome all sorts of names right now.

It's been an unwritten rule since..well forever, and apart of the appeal of cycling is those unwritten rules.

jdw_b

The unwritten rules are backed by a real sense of respect and sportsmanship, something sadly missing in most sports.

In a three week race like this it makes sure that the winner is based on merit as much as it can be

Attacking like that is just bad form

Unwritten rules are just that made up rules that don't exist.

No, they're apart of the life blood of the sport, and why so many people fall in love with the sport. It's about being fair, sportsman like, in the face of tough challenges that few people can do.

My point still stands, if it was the other way round, you would be complaining and calling froome all sorts of things right now.

Joni

And now we see why Aru needed to attack when Froome was down. But damn is Froome an ugly cyclist. I don't like his style.

No, they're apart of the life blood of the sport, and why so many people fall in love with the sport. It's about being fair, sportsman like, in the face of tough challenges that few people can do.

My point still stands, if it was the other way round, you would be complaining and calling froome all sorts of things right now.

No, because I understand racing.

Just like how Sky didn't give a fuck about Nibali having a mechanical in the Vuelta.

I believe in racing is racing.

Froome needed a battery change on his bike.

100% legit attack in that case. Forgetting load up your Di2 is a user error and thus fair game in terms of any unwritten rules. But opponents can't know that immediately, so that makes the unwritten rules just cover for sloppiness.

edit: so Aru was a dumbass for not being prepared to go all in.

Top Bottom