• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toxicity and non constructive criticism in gaming and its effects on the industry.

The gaming industry is…an industry, it has products and consumers. It has products for casuals and hardcore alike. The companies that produce the products are in it for profit, sometimes too much and as a result we get half baked and faulty video games. We also have user reviews and criticism. Sometimes the criticism is very much warranted and others its just toxicity and non genuine opinions based on trend. We have a hivemind of non genuine reviewers attacking certain games with an agenda to destroy a certain product for a petty or childish reason.

Sometimes a “meme” will start online (Stars Wars Outlaws main character controversy) and the bad reviews will come in hard for no reason. There usually aren’t any real critiques on a game, just hivemind attacks. We saw this with TLOU 2 and I see it with Star Wars Outlaws. Maybe Star Wars Oultlaws has flaws, but they should be stated in a clear manner, not “OMGZ the main character is ugly!!!….1/10!!!”. These non genuine reviews aren’t giving developers criticism to improve from in the future, its detering them from making some of the best games ever created. Hellblade 2, TLOU 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (pre patch), Star Wars Outlaws, Horizon Forbidden West, Starfield etc.

TLDR: Game reviews need to have clear criticism expressed not hivemind attacks from people with a petty, childish, unfair agenda.

Edit: here’s a prime example

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
These non genuine reviews aren’t giving developers criticism to improve from in the future, its detering them from making some of the best games ever created.
I absolutely agree.

XFdDpKF.png

winjer

Gold Member
That is oversimplifying the criticism that gamers point at some games.
The case of Star Wars Outlaw is a good example. Gamers didn't criticize the game because the character is ugly, but rather because they turned a beautiful women into a goblin. The in-game model is something out of the PS3 era.
That is just one point that was criticized about Outlaws. The AI is unbelievably stupid. The story and dialogs are bland. Stealth is complete rubbish. And combat is average.
But of course studios will focus on just one point and distort it, to make it appear that gamers are to blame, and not the incompetence of the studio.

Reviews at release date are just there for the important thing (MC score). Actual criticism comes weeks, months, and even years after a game is released, via video essays and such

T4keD0wN

Sometimes a “meme” will start online (Stars Wars Outlaws main character controversy) and the bad reviews will come in hard for no reason. There usually aren’t any real critiques on a game, just hivemind attacks. We saw this with TLOU 2 and I see it with Star Wars Outlaws. Maybe Star Wars Oultlaws has flaws, but they should be stated in a clear manner, not “OMGZ the main character is ugly!!!….1/10!!!”.
Now that you mention it the only thing i know about star wars outlaws is that Ubisoft kind of botched the character model and that you cant steal hoverbikes. Havent seen any reviews or users talk about combat/gameplay or locations. I dont even know if the game has melee, fast travel, skill trees, leveling or customizeable/multiple spaceships or not.

I might have even found the game enjoyable and picked it up had i had an answer to any of those questions, but i wont even consider buying it since i cant find any information about the game.

Last edited:

mrabott

The gaming industry is…an industry, it has products and consumers. It has products for casuals and hardcore alike. The companies that produce the products are in it for profit, sometimes too much and as a result we get half baked and faulty video games. We also have user reviews and criticism. Sometimes the criticism is very much warranted and others its just toxicity and non genuine opinions based on trend. We have a hivemind of non genuine reviewers attacking certain games with an agenda to destroy a certain product for a petty or childish reason.

Sometimes a “meme” will start online (Stars Wars Outlaws main character controversy) and the bad reviews will come in hard for no reason. There usually aren’t any real critiques on a game, just hivemind attacks. We saw this with TLOU 2 and I see it with Star Wars Outlaws. Maybe Star Wars Oultlaws has flaws, but they should be stated in a clear manner, not “OMGZ the main character is ugly!!!….1/10!!!”. These non genuine reviews aren’t giving developers criticism to improve from in the future, its detering them from making some of the best games ever created. Hellblade 2, TLOU 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (pre patch), Star Wars Outlaws, Horizon Forbidden West, Starfield etc.

TLDR: Game reviews need to have clear criticism expressed not hivemind attacks from people with a petty, childish, unfair agenda.
Maybe? Maybe! Dude, your opinion only loses strength when you say that SW: Outlaws may have flaws.

SW: Outlaws has flaws, not only a boring female character, but a buggy game with ridiculous gameplay.

And another thing, don't let yourself be fooled by the people here on Neogaf or other social networks. The general public doesn't have that kind of desire to be misogynistic.

But one thing is for sure, beauty sells. Hollywood, it's giving up gorgeous actresses for pretty actresses, but never ugly actresses. Let's see how long this choice of strong female characters, without moral or character flaws, with androgynous aspects will continue to work.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Now that you mention it the only thing i know about star wars outlaws is that Ubisoft kind of botched the character model and that you cant steal hoverbikes. Havent seen anyone (reviwers including) talk about combat/gameplay or locations. I dont even know if the game has melee, fast travel, skill trees, leveling or customizeable/multiple spaceships or not.

I mightve even found the game enjoyable if i had answer to any of those questions, but i wont even consider buying it since i cant find any information about the game.

Heres some gameplay, remember this thread is about this game as an example being "unfairly criticised, " the whole game is just the illution of competancy. It feels weird how Ubisoft gameplay has seemed to regress in recent years.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

If everything boils down to products and emotionless consumer and producer transactions then why does it matter how consumers choose to engage in discourse around any product?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Heres some gameplay, remeber this thread is about this game as an example being "unfairly criticised" the whole game is just the illution of competancy. It feels weird how Ubisoft gameplay as seemed to regress in recent years .

Ok, now i know the stormtroopers are playing with 999999 ping :ROFLMAO: and that the protagonist punches harder than Mike Tyson.

Last edited:

bundylove

Get lost

howitis3

3 things hurting this game. 1) a big portion of gamers are done with the copy paste ubisoft gameplay. 2) game play has regressed since 2012 assassins creed games. 3. there is a portion of gamers who are done with woke. a game like star wars outlaws was going to always be played by 90% men yet they shit on men by uglifying a model to stop the "male gaze". i think antiwoke makes up a small portion of gamers, but when your game is below average already every hit hurts. its getting to the point where woke makes the game an embarrassment to play at all.

laynelane

You say "hivemind", I say 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. People, in general, aren't coordinating to attack games. They're seeing things they don't like and speaking up about it - vocally and with their money. It can be about game play, polish, story or lack thereof, DEI, etc. Dismissing criticism because you believe it comes from an unfair agenda is one of the reasons so many games are no longer resonating with the buying pubic. It's exactly what so many devs and publishers, to their detriment, have been doing for a long time now too.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The thing is you've got to lower your expectation and quit thinking video games are life changing event. They take long time and effort to create and too many of us invest our thoughts and years of our life waiting for entertainment products.

In the end, they are games and will always be games. They're supposed to be picked up for fun and to inspire us through their many narrative, artistic design, sound and music design and so on. They can inspire us but let them not define what you are because otherwise you'll mostly always end up a bit unsatisfied, you know.

KINGMOKU

Just to start with, everyone has an agenda. This is not something bad, nor good. It just is.

Secondly, your post reads exactly like this from even a simplistic view;

"I don't agree with person A, therefore its toxic, non-genuine, petty, and childish."

As you said, an agenda.

As for it doesn't go past the simple meme?

When a game company takes a character model, based on a beautiful real life individual, and transforms it into a trainwreck, is everyone supposed to pretend(lots of that these days)its not hideous? What was the purpose of hiring the model in question?

As for keeping developers from creating games, well, if your skin is so thin, you get upset because people are criticizing your horrendous work, perhaps your in the wrong job. Maybe something lower profile is in order.

Maybe its just me, but it is not petty, or childish for me to avoid any game that has become infested with certain ideals. To me, what they did to the actual model speaks volumes about the people involved. I dont review games, nor do I participate in the activity your speaking of, but if people want to voice their opinion about something, who the hell are you to say its not genuine, or petty?

Perhaps the game developers, instead of attacking their potential customers, should take a long look in the mirror, and wonder if they are indeed the ones at fault for a games performance.

JohnnyPhats

Seems you typed an n instead of an r when this popped in your head.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
You know though, it does feel like we spend more time talking about things we don't like than things we do. It's hard finding an enthusiast space where things are more positive.

Not saying things shouldn't be viewed critically though. In my mind, if something is shit you shouldn't waste your time thinking about it. For example Star Wars. I used to like Star Wars. Now I don't. But rather than being pissed that Star Wars no longer catering to my tastes, I sort of just don't think about it much. I stopped engaging with newer star wars media and just hang out.

Now the same is happening with TTRPGs. The crowd that is being catered too now is turning it into something i don't like. My hope is one day the pendellum will swing back to it being something i can appreciate. But I'm not going to shit up the atmosphere for people who like it now.

Generic

This but unironically.

The twitter stuff is unsolvable. The moderation there is getting close to 4chan level.

The metacritic review bombing could theoretically be solved, with some sort of “proof of purchase/play” verification process for leaving reviews.

Who gets to define toxicity?
The ex-toxic ones. The people who would know it best are the ones who used to do it themselves, same with being a former edgelord.

Generic

Heres some gameplay, remember this thread is about this game as an example being "unfairly criticised, " the whole game is just the illution of competancy. It feels weird how Ubisoft gameplay as seemed to regress in recent years.

Stormtroopers can't aim, it's canon.

hinch7

Create bad product and expect criticism. And its better that more consumers know if a product is bad, and then unknowingly buy them, and supporting said product.

Besides, memes are a funny way to show how ridiculous how some AAA video games have become and in a lot of ways, regressed.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it the only thing i know about star wars outlaws is that Ubisoft kind of botched the character model and that you cant steal hoverbikes. Havent seen any reviews or users talk about combat/gameplay or locations. I dont even know if the game has melee, fast travel, skill trees, leveling or customizeable/multiple spaceships or not.

I might have even found the game enjoyable and picked it up had i had an answer to any of those questions, but i wont even consider buying it since i cant find any information about the game.
Exactly this.

Generic

The metacritic review bombing could theoretically be solved, with some sort of “proof of purchase/play” verification process for leaving reviews.
Linking the player's account to Metacritic would kill 99% of reviewbombing.

I absolutely agree.

XFdDpKF.png
"Game performance is unpolished" and "gameplay becomes repetitive over time" are legit criticim.

Create bad product and expect criticism. And its better that more consumers know if a product is bad, and then unknowingly buy them, and supporting said product.

Besides, memes are a funny way to show how ridiculous how some AAA video games have become and in a lot of ways, regressed.
TLOU2 is great and yet the game was victim of dumb memes and lies.

Last edited:
Lol, name of OP checks out.
Interpretation: Positive reviews = criticism; Negative reviews = toxic criticism

For my part regarding reviews, I find a reviewer that lines up as close to my taste as possible (ACG for me), never buy a product on release if I can help it and generally wait for a sale or the game to hit GamePass.

Edit: And never trust IGN or PCGamer for reviews. They both suck with a spotty at best track record.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

Linking the player's account to Metacritic would kill 99% of reviewbombing.

"Game performance is unpolished" and "gameplay becomes repetitive over time" are legit criticim.

TLOU2 is great and yet the game was victim of dumb memes and lies.
If you found a turd floating in your bowl of lucky charms, are you just going to eat around it?

Yes, but what is bad about a product has to actually be explained, not “It doesn’t have DEI…0/10!!!!”. Is Stars Wars Outlaws a bad game because the character model looks different from the actress? I also agree there is an agenda with companies purposely making main characters ugly or inclusive to push agendas, but is Stars Wars Outlaws a bad game because of it? Should people protest with their money? Yes, but should people be clear on why something is bad? Yes. It isn’t the games themselves that are bad, it’s elements about them that are bad. If we left it up to the hivemind, the only games that would exist would be Madden, COD, Fortnite and NBA 2k because companies won’t make certain games ever again….I CAN’T imagine a game industry without TLOU 2 and Hellblade 2, these games are masterpieces….

Last edited:

ToneyJ

When a game gets excessive criticism and toxicity, it's usually about more than just the game itself. It's about sending a message to game publishers and studios.

For example, Concord didn't get shit on for two weeks straight because it's a bad game. It got shit on because people don't like the overall direction Playstation is heading with their recent GaaS push, or how they shut down beloved studios like Japan Studio and shelf beloved IP. Or refuse to port Bloodborne. etc.

Star Wars Outlaws's uglification of real life model got a tons of attention because its been a reoccuring trend in western games for years now and people have picked up on this. Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited:
Name checks out.
Let’s stay on topic, was I wrong?
Lol, name of OP checks out.
Interpretation: Positive reviews = criticism; Negative reviews = toxic criticism

For my part regarding reviews, I find a reviewer that lines up as close to my taste as possible (ACG for me), never buy a product on release if I can help it and generally wait for a sale or the game to hit GamePass.

Edit: And never trust IGN or PCGamer for reviews. They both suck with a spotty at best track record.
Name checks out how? How about the people who never actually played a game and review bombing it? Wouldn’t validation of play give better, fair reviews?
This.

When a game gets excessive criticism and toxicity, it's usually about more than just the game itself. It's about sending a message to game publishers and studios.

For example, Concord didn't get shit on for two weeks straight because it's a bad game. It got shit on because people don't like the overall direction Playstation is heading with their recent GaaS push, or how they shut down beloved studios like Japan Studio and shelf beloved IP. Or refuse to port Bloodborne. etc.

Star Wars Outlaws's uglification of real life model got a tons of attention because its been a reoccuring trend in western games for years now and people have picked up on this. Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Well… EXACT reasons have to be explained along with sending a message or games companies won’t green light actual good games anymore…also she is ugly according to who? Just because a character model looks different from the actress means nothing unless its an DEI or specific agenda. Was the Star Wars Outlaws main character model change an agenda push or an artistic decision?

ReBurn

Gold Member
It still amazes me to see "lacking in inclusivity and diversity" for a game based on a novel published in 1592. A literary work which has such cultural importance and popularity in East Asia to boot. Just peak ignorance on display.
It amazes me to see "lacking in inclusivity and diversity" when the characters are all goddamn monkeys. Like, how diverse do they think monkeys are?

Let’s stay on topic, was I wrong?

Name checks out how? How about the people who never actually played a game and review bombing it? Wouldn’t validation of play give better, fair reviews?

This.
It was a bad attempt at a joke.

And no validation wouldn't give better/fair reviews. Look at the "professional" gaming sites and their shitty reviews. You can't get better validation than that, yet they've showed many times that their takes don't line up with the users. My point, badly made, is these creators are always happy to take anonymous reviews if it's in their favor, when it isn't, it's somehow toxic or problematic. Besides a person's review is their take. It's always subjective.

With so many youtuber reviewers, I think one of the best solution is to find a few that you trust and aligns with your taste.

Top Bottom