• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toxicity and non constructive criticism in gaming and its effects on the industry.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That was some quick edit, bro, rofl.
And yeh, Star Wars (Out)Flaws is really beatiful game on maxed settings as long some1 has top pc, but in terms of gameplay/story its average at best, which is proven by its metacritic score and users score
And that review score was reached thx to disney offering free trips for previewers(aka future reviewers) so w/o professioanl "journos" bias game would score even lower.
I don't give a fuck about what metacritic says, to be perfectly honest :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

laynelane

I read the SR review (posted below if you want to give it a read) the reviewer is a women and her point was that there are no women or feminine characters in the game in chapters 1 and 2. The reviewer also didn't like the supposed misogynistic comments from the developer.

As far as Chapters 1 and 2, while characters are clearly fictitious and fantastical creatures, there were no female or feminine NPCs, enemies, or bosses present. The only exception, if you can call it 'female', is a boss named Mother of Stones in Chapter 2, which is nothing more than a still, glowing rock with no abilities, being guarded by other enemies.
The lack of diversity and inclusivity resonates with the misogynistic comments reported to have been made by developers, which expressed disdain for women playing their games. Although Black Myth: Wukong does have truly enjoyable moments, the underlying feeling that women aren't welcome in this world felt present throughout my gameplay experience.

Now, I haven't played the game, but I'm pretty sure I've seen videos of there being female characters and I'm sure there are more than 2 chapters, so personally I think the reviewer was unfair in their assessment.

Yeah, there are definitely female characters in the game (there would be considering the source it's based on):

Perhaps the reviewer needed to play past Chapter two to realize this. Then again, I get the sense she was looking for this to be an issue:

While my analysis and review of Black Myth: Wukong remain focused on gameplay, it's important to mention the controversies surrounding the game's studio and the reports of misogyny and sexism from developers. Playing as a female gamer allowed me to notice issues surrounding inclusion and representation.

It's worth noting the game is based on the novel, Journey To The West, which does consist of a few important female characters. To not include any women or to only include a few in an adaptation meant for a modern audience is quite disconcerting.

The link in the first quote goes to the IGN article about Game Science which has received criticism for being based on mistranslated quotes. I agree with you that her assessment comes across as unfair, as well.

(Edited due to quoting the wrong text.)

Last edited:

Trilobit

This isn't anything unique for gaming. It's a part of humanity itself.

These non genuine reviews aren’t giving developers criticism to improve from in the future, its detering them from making some of the best games ever created. Hellblade 2, TLOU 2, Cyberpunk 2077 (pre patch), Star Wars Outlaws, Horizon Forbidden West, Starfield etc.

Umm...

But I agree that review bombing is juvenile and doesn't benefit anyone. Though sometimes it's a reaction to clearly agenda driven positive reviews coming from professional sites.

Last edited:

kyussman

I wouldn't waste my time and energy trying to be constructive to a bunch of ideologically captured people......and these are the people who are making games today.They are living in a different world to me and I want no part in it,carry on making your terrible games.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Yeah, there are definitely female characters in the game (there would be considering the source it's based on):

Perhaps the reviewer needed to play past Chapter two to realize this. Then again, I get the sense she was looking for this to be an issue:

The link in the first quote goes to the IGN article about Game Science which has received criticism for being based on mistranslated quotes. I agree with you that her assessment comes across as unfair, as well.

The thing is, for western wokesters if game like wukong doesnt have black/fat/ugly/old women its already peak mysogony and pure rightwing extremism :messenger_beaming:

I CAN’T imagine a game industry without TLOU 2 and Hellblade 2, these games are masterpieces….
the dude your opinion GIF

Perfect example here, no actual discussion just a quip and leave…
No, I’m here for a discussion. Unfortunately based on your post, there is no real discussion to be had. You’ve clearly made up your mind that you are uncomfortable being on Gaf. The boards have been around for a long time, and they’ve always been this way, they aren’t going to change because you are sensitive to it. People like to discuss games and have fun, if that’s not for you, then no one is forcing you to be here. It’s a collection of personal opinions, not everyone is going to agree with you and/or like the things you do…seems pretty selfish to even think that, but whatever.

To add, in my opinion TLOU2, SWO, and Hellblade 2 are all mediocre at best, and no, I don’t plan on explaining why I feel that way. I like what I like.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sorry but any agenda driven entertainment just ends up feeling forced and unnatural usually ending up in a bad product. It has always been that way well before wokism became a thing and has always been made fun of. Mainly with product placement or religious movies / games. It's just got so bad now with wokism that people are starting to instantly recognize it and call it out.

Wildebeest

What is truly toxic feedback for the gaming industry is people demanding that more and more resources be funnelled into games for a stagnant or declining market.

Neon Xenon

A shining example of toxicity and non constructive criticism from the so called "professional" site:

WDbPZ8B.jpeg

Nobody should be sending review codes to these hacks.

One of the most embarrassing articles covering a game that I've ever seen, to where calling it a "review" is extremely generous.

Thing is, if you stripped away the Wired name (what little that name amounts to these days) from that piece, this could just be another dumb post on Twitter.

Braag

I think the problem comes with these journos being completely out of touch with reality and not understanding the irony that comes with them mainly seeing skin color and gender diversity in games and basing their opinions of a game on that. Complaining that a Chinese game, based on chinese mythology doesn't have enough diversity is peak racism. They behave like everything needs to cater to them, to their cultural standing and political ideology.

Then you have people in the industry who seem to hate gamers, have no passion towards gaming and only want to force their political ideas in games. Then they call out everyone as bigots for not buying their game.
Who are these people trying to please exactly? What kind of industry treats its consumers like this? Seeing these studios getting grilled for their behaviour brings hope that maybe we can have some common sense in game development again, that we can have devs who have passions towards gaming and their first and foremost intention is to make a good product.

Yes, gaming fandom is an extremely toxic, whiny, and entitled group of people.

You'd think gaming is in a worse spot than ever going by the "outrage" every other title garners nowadays. In the meantime I'm just over here having fun playing games.
That’s just human beings in general now, not just gaming fandom…we just see it in gaming more because we are a part of the gaming community.

BigBeauford

Linking the player's account to Metacritic would kill 99% of reviewbombing.

"Game performance is unpolished" and "gameplay becomes repetitive over time" are legit criticim.

TLOU2 is great and yet the game was victim of dumb memes and lies.
Who would have thought fans would react negatively to a studio killing off a beloved character simply to prevent gamers from enacting a "white male power fantasy". Not to mention the utterly flimsy narrative device of some random NPC being killed to spark the entire story line. It's transparent and worst of all inauthentic.

Zacfoldor

TLOU2's ending is not a valid reason to dislike the game?

Have you ever seen Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage? It had a better ending that TLOU2.

Ya know what, just because you like a game doesn't mean I have to like it. Just because you think my reason is petty, doesn't mean it is.

TLOU2 was a great game right up until the "subvert expectations" ending which ironically did exactly the opposite. It was the ending I predicted for TLOU2 when I beat TLOU1 on launch, and also why I didn't want TLOU2 to ever be made. I knew they would screw it up. The ending refused to provide the obvious catharsis that the player craved while at the same time making our MC act totally out of character vs her behavior up until that point. It really ruined the whole game because the ending was just bad.

Last edited:
I used to offer 100% constructive feedback in the ND forums back in the day.

Nobody seemed to care from Sony's executive suits...

So fuckers in the gaming press are all focused on people exclusively hate "woke messaging" and thus that makes the consumers hateful chud assholes. My point is if the religious right came out with a game where the shit was nothing but hamfisted ultra christian morals and clothing up women in conservative attire where even showing ankles will lead to out of marriage sex and telling me how impure thoughts and leading a godless life will send me to hell................. I'd hate that shit as much as the leftist morals hammered into many games. But, we don't see that and the rare times it happened, those games (which I can't remember outside those weird bible games) were also rejected by the general audience for its aggressive messaging and sell like shit.

It's not the side. It's the evangelizing, deliberate baking in their dogma bullshit. It's the arrogant moralizing. It's the holier than thou shit that the devs know the goodthink for the general audience. It's the skewed and extreme worldview forced into shit. Again, it's not the specific side. It's just that one side is flaunting their shit into literally every sector of media for the past 10 or so years.

I say it all the time. The modern leftist is just the flip side of the asshole moralist coin of the religious right. Same tactics, same vibe, different podiums.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

how about we look from the developers or company side? i say these people also 'toxic' in their way.

these company also do the same with their own toxic PR and stuff regarding their dirty bussiness or political agenda foremost. they wont listen to fans at first place. remember always online remark that insulted people at rural area of previous gens before? there is also recent 'talentless' remark by certain developers.

people are toxic sure but the other side also not all good and nice either.

you think these developers and company would actually listen if people complained in nice manner?

all their care is public reception. sure it is toxic but it is working especially in affecting mindsets online. also people wont pick out their pitchfork out for nothing.

you throw stone and dont expect not get thrown back.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh look Yahtzee made a toxic video

look how none constructive this is.

Remember this game is the core reason this thread was made, they tried to hide it, but its obvious throughout there just mad a Star Wars product didn't receive undue praise just for existing. People got mad when battlefront 2 got slated for the loot boxes too, they just shut up when EA actually removed them because it makes them look like shills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom