• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toybox Turbos |OT| Micro Machines is back baby

Tak3n

Banned
toybox_turbos_v2_by_pooterman-d840e1z.png

Available on PS3, 360 and Steam (Oculus Rift Support Soon) Single player, Multiplayer online and local up to 4 players

price is £11.99/ $15

toybox_turbos_16-940x520.jpg

gaming-toybox-turbos-01.jpg

Here we go then – it’s time for a slice of retro Codies arcade racing like out of the nineties with our new game Toybox Turbos! Bursting with multiplayer fun to share with your friends and family, Toybox Turbos takes you to kitchen tables, pool halls and science labs in this manic, miniaturised table top racer!

gaming-toybox-turbos-07.jpg

gaming-toybox-turbos-02.jpg

Each table top track is full of obstacles and shortcuts and filled with awesome and ridiculous power-ups. Use mines, machines guns and, of course, giant (well technically they are pretty small), car-mounted hammers as you race a selection of 35 super-fun toy vehicles, ranging from sports cars to moon buggies, diggers, ice cream vans and loads more
We’ve got six game modes and epic boss battles in the single-player game: sprint for the line in Classic Races, set your best time in Time Trial, pass turbocharged busses in Overtake, avoid getting wiped out by the tide in Escape, beat the clock in Countdown, and race to the edge of the screen in Elimination mode. Then turn friends into foes in manic four-player multiplayer matches both online and on the sofa.

Tak3n

Banned
online is working :)

however I keep getting matched with the same 4 players, so player count may not be super high

Tak3n

Banned
Also worth noting it is only 3 keys on tf2outpost use a trader with a shop it is as easy as buying from steam

instead of £12 it was £4.20 :)

L.O.R.D

this game is very fun
its like the original
i liked the option where you can chose the view

but that level where a tidal wave follow you is very hard

BTW , this game is region free
you can get it for ~ $6 from Russian seller

Skyzard

Banned
Played the demo. It's not Motorstorm RC, but that is a pretty serious (and great) game.

This seems fun though. Handling isn't drifty as I like but it's good enough - and it's just with two cars in the demo, which are taxis so that's fare. They control well for taxis.
Seems pretty iOSy, but a decent iOS game.

I love the classic beat your friend out of the screen mode. Would be decent with a friend round for a few bouts.

Demo is too easy, not sure if it gets harder later in the full game, don't see any options to change it, you just get a 3star rating.

I like it even though it's pretty simple, I just like this kind of game. Hopefully the other events feel different with the different cars.
I'll pick this up soon enough.

Played through the first world. First impressions are that the handling is really fun, and the camera is way more helpful than in the old games. I noticed they had added another option in the menus so it probably has a classic camera too. I like the addition of physics too. It makes the game feel a little more dynamic without feeling punishing. Each lap is a bit different without having some grand change to the map.

The music isn't bad but I can see it getting old real quick. I'd probably disable it after a while. I wish the car stats didn't require a button press, so it is easier to compare cars. In some of the modes I don't really understand why the coins are there. They just serve as a distraction in the time trials for instance. The bombs add a pretty cool element though.

See you online later probably.

edit. Making the clocks the same colour as coins in time rush mode seems like a poor choice. Also I've noticed that I can respawn before jumps that are impossible to make. Pretty sure the older games had this too.

Hope this game gets a level editor of some sort. It would be super cool.

Managed to get all 105 stars, no reward for doing it all but you do get to mirror the tracks online. I think my biggest complaint with the game is that the levels aren't that special. The big set pieces are kinda annoying the blender, helicopters and the lava thing in particular is way too punishing. This is exacerbated by Codemasters trying to extract as much value from each track as possible, forcing a game mode into it. I think the game could have been a bit more lean if they thought about taking out some of the challenges, or simply reworking some of them. It's a shame really 'cause the core gameplay is really solid. It's just put together in a really old way. By the end it gets pretty tough. Overall fun game, I'd recommend it to any fan of the Micro Machines games, there's a good deal of variety.

Only 526 people on the leaderboard for the first time trial. Around 50 have put a time on the last one. Familiar faces from playing online, better make the most of it while it lasts. Can't say I'm holding my breath for any DLC. Hopefully a fair few people picked it up and haven't played yet.
The demo crashes on launch.

edit: changing my desktop resolution from 1440p to 720p solved it.
I had a crash, and a couple of random exits to main menu. It was strange but in 5 hours not too problematic.
Played the demo. It's not Motorstorm RC, but that is a pretty serious (and great) game.

This seems fun though. Handling isn't drifty as I like but it's good enough - and it's just with two cars in the demo, which are taxis so that's fare. They control well for taxis.
Seems pretty iOSy, but a decent iOS game.
The 6 modes are: classic race, time trial, overtake, escape a blue wave that is covering the track behind you, the off screen culling mode and one where you collect power ups to keep racing. The cars get faster and there's definitely a few fun drifty ones.

Schlomo

Just learned about this, I'll be sure to try the demo! I hope it controls similar to MM V3, that game was perfect.

Peru

Tried the demo, seems like it's controlling... I was about to say "just right" but I agree with the poster above that it could be more drifty. Drifting around is always fun in top down racers. Still it controlls very well and the setting is fun - as a top down enthusiast I'll be buying it.

trillbo

How am I just hearing about this now? I'm so happy Codemasters actually made a spiritual successor to Micro Machines. I played the shit out of 1 & 2 back in the day, and got back into it recently on RetroPie.

Just bought this and tried it out in VR, absolutely amazing!

Hip Hop

underrated game.

Single player is great with it's fast paced setup and multiplayer is a blast with friends.

Dead thread I know but...I picked this up at 75% off last week and have had a blast with it so far. It's no surprise, as I loved Micro Machines and this is basically a sequel.

I'd be interested in playing online if anybody still plays this? My Steam name is dwah86 - add me :)

Top Bottom