• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us 50% off game clearance (Select games of course)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Went into work today, and was told we're marking all of our clearance items down to 50%. Your millage will of course vary but my store is offering:
Amplitude $15
Perfect Dark $5
MGS2:S XBox $8
Boktai: $8
Silent Hill 3: $10
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter: $10
Not to mention a whole bunch of other games including all Dreamcast games and any floating N64 or Gameboy Color games.
Also, thing to note, if you go in, and see any game on a clearance price, that is the last digit of the price isn't 9, and its not set in a 50% bin or anything just ask them to check the sales price (they have to total out the sale to see if it comes up).
Its not the hottest of sales, but hey, Boktai and SH3 are worth those prices. Plus you might find better stuff than I.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
MoxManiac said:
Yeah, my TRU still have stacks of Perfect Dark carts. Did that game bomb or did they over-order?

With the fucking sheer number we have of them (Silent Hill 3 too, lordy) I can't imagine anything other than over ordering.
We got a few copies of Pokemon Snap in last Christmas. I realize that's warehouses dumping shit off, but still.

atomsk

Party Pooper
well shit, i only worked 7-11am today, no one mentioned this to me, but i wasnt in rzone...

i suppose i'll hear about it tomorrow

RevenantKioku

Wario64 said:
I wonder if there is any connection with the recent news about Toys R Us

They gave us a big talking to saying that it was just to prepare for new items, and the new focus on toys only, as BRU is separating from TRU.
Of course no one really knows anything. Apparently a lot of clearance is to come. So keep any eye out.
It' be really nice if they did a buy 2 get 1 soon but who knows.

RevenantKioku

MoxManiac said:
Toys only? Are they dropping videogames?

No.
Edit: Toys as to say, entertainment things.
Furthermore: This is on company level, not store level. Hence the BRU/TRU split.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MoxManiac said:
Yeah, my TRU still have stacks of Perfect Dark carts. Did that game bomb or did they over-order?

The strange thing is that these are available in the wrapper all over America, in all sorts of chains. I can't even imagine what the production run was since so many are available in new packaging wherever I go.

RevenantKioku

Dyne said:
Would you say Canada too then?

If a Canadian would be so kind as to check for the rest, that'd work best. But I'd imagine it would be so.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just posted on cheapassgamer:

tubtub said:
TRU is starting a 50% off discontinued and X status items deal. The promo started ringing up today, but stores will start putting up advertising on August 22nd. And they are doing it by world and the video game section is one of the last sections. So until they send out the list of all the items on sale to the stores, it will be interesting to see what people find. Pretty much all DC, N64, SNES, etc. are part of the sale. Also, there are some GC, XB, PS2, and GBA games. I think almost everything that was part of the BOGO deal last month is part of the new 50% off deal(thus making it the same price as the BOGO deal for those who missed out, except this time you only need to buy 1 item). Anyway, I don't have a list of much, but it is better than most of the other deals as they have some better games as part of this deal. For example, The Lord of the Rings Two Towers for Gamecube is part of it(only $10 for the game, reg. $20). To find out if the item is on sale, it will say "Fall Clearance" when you scan the item at the register or a price checker. I'll have more info soon, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up to this deal. Could end up being like the CC deal for awhile where nothing is really marked, but people just find out from others whats on sale.

Probably best to act tomorrow before the masses eat up the games

Lee-T

LoTR: Two Towers for Gamecube is $10 also. There's actually a bunch of really good stuff. TRU is supposed to send a list of all the items that are part of the deal to stores by tomorrow night(but the list will only contain the items that are part of the sale and that that store has in stock, so the list will vary from store to store).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
meh. i've lost my enthusiasm for deals in which games cost more than $5. i'll still probably check it out and see if i can't find some cheap games for old consoles.

RevenantKioku said:
They gave us a big talking to saying that it was just to prepare for new items, and the new focus on toys only, as BRU is separating from TRU.

Funny because it seemed like the business plan was to combine the TRUs and the BRUs. I know the BRU here in town was a standalone store, but then it was absorbed into the TRU just down the road.

Hell, the parking lot's always empty there, so I shouldn't have a problem scooping up any deals.

aoi tsuki

mightynine said:
Funny because it seemed like the business plan was to combine the TRUs and the BRUs. I know the BRU here in town was a standalone store, but then it was absorbed into the TRU just down the road.

Hell, the parking lot's always empty there, so I shouldn't have a problem scooping up any deals.
Heed my advice and go as soon as possible. i waited on the $5 Circuit City sale since i live in a small area, and some dick bought the only two copies of Rez and sold them for $100 a piece. i'm going first thing tomorrow, despite the fact i really shouldn't be buying games right now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"TRU STILL has Perfect Dark? Good Lord."

Look at the end of the list. Genesis. Yes, genesis games.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
teh_pwn said:
Look at the end of the list. Genesis. Yes, genesis games.

yeah, but those are all relatively recent majesco rereleases. it's not like they've been sitting around for 10 years.

I think Nintendo may have overeshipped the game, because it was selling for like $11 at different chains relatively quickly. In terms of actual units, it sold a decent amount (if ignore its predecessor of course, and look at it as just a standalone game) , but consdering a good amount was sold at a loss, it probably wasn't as successful as the numbers might suggest.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
FitzOfRage said:
I think Nintendo may have overeshipped the game, because it was selling for like $11 at different chains relatively quickly. In terms of actual units, it sold a decent amount (if ignore its predecessor of course, and look at it as just a standalone game) , but consdering a good amount was sold at a loss, it probably wasn't as successful as the numbers might suggest.
Who shipped this game as publisher? Rare or Nintnedo?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
More 50% off titles

King of Fighter 2000/2001
Prince of Persia XB
Beyond Good and Evil XB
Super Monkey Ball 1
Red Faction 2 GC
Namco Museum GC
SSX 3 GC
Tron 2.0 PC
Mafia PC
Onimusha Tactics
CIMA: The Enemy

SSX3 at $9.99 is a pretty damn good price

atomsk

Party Pooper
well shit, when i go in to get my check this morning, i may pick a few things up.

cheap games + employee discount = WIN

RevenantKioku

atomsk said:
well shit, when i go in to get my check this morning, i may pick a few things up.

cheap games + employee discount = WIN

And it is pay day! Woo!
It'll be great enough to go through my store holding that list, never mind when I go to the other store nearby.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Some people are reporting games ringing up at normal price, while other people have them clearanced. Looks like not all stores are involved in this deal.

bsschorr said:
I Just got back from TRU and this is what rang up 50% off:
Super Monkey Ball (Game Cube) $9.99
Boktai (GBA) $7.50
Onimusha Tactics (GBA) $9.99

I tried the following as one of the floor scanners and they came back negative:
Starfox Adventures (Game Cube) $19.99
PoP (Game Cube) $19.99
Silent Hill 3 (PS2) $19.99
Harvest Moon (GBA) $29.99

I hope that helps.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hm, someone said that the price scanned doesn't reflect the 50% off price, but it goes in effect when you actually check it out at the counter. Is that true?

atomsk

Party Pooper
i know when im stuck in there 8 hours tomorrow i'll be checking out all the X tagged games i can find to see if they come off...

i'll try and report back when i get home on my findings

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Chase (XB) 7.99
Romance/3 Kingdoms VIII (ps2) 14.99
Secret Wepons over Normandy (XB) 14.99
Onimusha Tactics (GBA) 9.99
Gladius (XB) 14.99
Buffy (XB) 14.99
Dave Mirra 2 (XB) 12.48
Prince of Persia (XB) 9.97
007 Nightfdire (XB) 9.99
Dynasty Tactic2 2 (PS2) 14.99
Wallace and Gromit (XB) 19.99
Mat Hoffman (ps2) 9.99
Whiplash (XB) 14.99
Wipeout Fusion (ps2) 24.99
Silent Hill 3 (ps2) 9.99
Fantavision (Ps2) 7.49
Seablade (XB) 5.49
Tao Feng (XB) 9.99
Terminator :DoF (PS2) 19.99
Primal (ps2) 14.97
Gauntlet (XB) 19.99
MGS2 (XB) 7.49
Savage Skies (ps2) 6.49
Roadkill (XB) 9.99
SPeed Kings (XB) 9.99
NFS:HP2 (XB) 9.99
BG&# (XB) 9.99

RevenantKioku

Wario64 said:
Hm, someone said that the price scanned doesn't reflect the 50% off price, but it goes in effect when you actually check it out at the counter. Is that true?

That is true. That's how the TRU registers do it. Like I said in the original post, although I can see that being a bit confusing.
Anyway, I got Boktai and Silent Hill 3 for $16, sure 10% discount for employee, but even at $18 total, its awesome.

And SSX3 is ringing up at $10 too.

shoplifter

Picked up Boktai, PoP (finally), KoF, and SH3.

Word has it that the PS2 Online Packs (the ones with NA, and ATV Offroad 2) are on the 50% off as well. My store didn't have any, though.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
shoplifter said:
Word has it that the PS2 Online Packs (the ones with NA, and ATV Offroad 2) are on the 50% off as well. My store didn't have any, though.
Someone find out if this is true!

RevenantKioku

Defensor said:
Someone find out if this is true!

Cripes, that's nuts.
But all of the stores within an hour of me are out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Silent Hill 3 PS2 $10
Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner PS2 $10
Ratchet & Clank Going Commando $20
Sphinx Xbox $6.50
Prince Of Persia Xbox $10
Marvel vs Capcon 2 Xbox $20
Exhibition vol. 1 + 2 Xbox $2.50
Summoner 2: A Goddess Reborn GC $10
Soul Calibur 2 GC $10
Ikaruga GC $20

Disgaea $24.99
Phantasy star collection (GBA) 9.99
Super dodge ball (GBA) $9.99
Demi kids ( only Light version) $15
The PinBall of the dead $9.00
. Hack outbreak (PS2) .$15.
ZOE 2 9.99

Ratchet & Clank Going Commando $20

OMG OMG!! PLEASE BE THE SAME HERE!!

If someone see this in-store, buy me one. I'll pay the shipping for Canada. PM ASAP. I'll go check tonight if it's the same here in Quebec.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just picked up Ratchet & Clank 2. Rock.

rock.jpg

Tried scanning Advance Wars 2 at the counter, no 50% deal on that. But I still bought it so I can inflate the NPD numbers, muahahah. I'll return it next month. Muahahahaha

BuddyC

I snagged Super Monkey Ball and Tennis 2K2 on DC. I scanned Pikmin, but no 50% on that. Great deal on Ratchet and Clank 2 there, plus no mark of shame. It'll officially drop to $19.99 later this year, but you'll have to deal with the red strip and a possibly lower quality print on the box art. Perhaps, perhaps.

MoxManiac

Wario, do the prices show as discounted before or after it's rung up? Can I reliably take up say, Mvc2, Gladius and PoP and not worry about not getting discounted?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MoxManiac said:
Wario, do the prices show as discounted before or after it's rung up?

I don't remember if the 50% price was shown when R&C 2 was scanned, so I'm not sure. The price tag on the shelf said $39.99, though

My Toys R Us actually had 1 copy of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, at $29.99 though. Didn't bother to check if it was 50% off. And they had like 30 copies of Advance Wars 2, wtf...and 10 copies of Wario Ware for $35! No wonder TRU isn't doing well

Top Bottom