• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free: What Did You Score?

So most of you are waiting til Wednesday for GTA, DOAU, and AC5 right? That deal is too good to pass up, hope the casual buyers forget that date...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Man I hope TRU ordered plenty of copies of GTA:SA. I wonder if they timed this deal for GTA's release on purpose.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
They FUCKED ME NOOOO.
Okay, so I was scanning up people today, and noticed something. If you had 3 same priced games, it always knocked the last one off
If you had 3 19.99 games lined up like so
Green Tag 19.99
Green Tag 19.99
Not Green 19.99
It would knock the not green off for free, and then the two green tags would shrink to 9.99 and you'd get the 3 games for 19.98 + tax!
When my shift ended, and I went to buy what I wanted, it didn't work that time!
F*CK...that would have been sweet, but its obvious why it got fixed.
So I just got Shadow Hearts 2, Paper Mario 2 and Mega Man X Command Mission.
No TRUs in my area got SMT in it seems, I called a few. Sucks for the people who wanted it here. Just go buy it regularly if you can find it.

Oh and faceless, you got screwed. For $10 more, you could have gotten the Monkey Ball double pack, WW is $30, no? and you could have gotten another game under $30 for free.

cvxfreak

^My thoughts exactly. He should have gotten the double pack and a Player's Choice title or something.

I wish my TRU had the Sonic Mega Collection/Sonic Adventure 2 bundle pack, but all they had was SADX/SMC. :(

Stele

Holds a little red book
So is it possible to do something like released game, full pre-order, and full pre-order? The games I have in mind is Ace Combat 5, Metroid Prime 2, and KOF 02/03.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TRU (at least mine) does not let you full pre-order.
What you would have to do is pre-order, buy 3 $50 games, then exchange one of the unopened games for the pre-order when it comes in.
Two catches. has to be within the 45 day return policy, and the manager has to okay this procedure. I can't guarantee all stores are, but I know mine is.

RevenantKioku said:
TRU (at least mine) does not let you full pre-order.
What you would have to do is pre-order, buy 3 $50 games, then exchange one of the unopened games for the pre-order when it comes in.
Two catches. has to be within the 45 day return policy, and the manager has to okay this procedure. I can't guarantee all stores are, but I know mine is.

i thought they it was already stated that games on this sale only get 33 dollars value on any exchange/return

peace

RevenantKioku

Fixed2BeBroken said:
i thought they it was already stated that games on this sale only get 33 dollars value on any exchange/return

peace

return != exchange

In a return you get your money back, in either cash, credit, or store credit form. In an exchange, they just switch the items you've bought. I was told by my manager that he would do this, and the instructions will be to allow this.
It may vary by store and manager.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well, here's what I came away with:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

If they had more of the $20 games that I wanted I would have sprung for another set. Stuff like Prince of Persia, TimeSplitters 2, Metal Arms, XIII, Resident Evil, etc.

I went to two TRUs.

First one had a really bizarre selection. Mountains of Bloody Roar, Gallop Racer and Bujingai, but missing lots of big name titles. They also had mountains of display cases for the Red Star, which got me all excited for nothing. Same with Blood Will Tell. Wanted it, saw the case, but no real copies behind the counter. Booo. What prickteases. I could only find 2 games I wanted, and they said they weren't allowing returns. So I put back the games I'd picked out and left.

Second one had more stuff, and they were suggesting people get gift receipts so they could do returns, so I bought 3 games that I'm gonna return during the week for Ace Combat, GTA and a $40 game. Probably Outrun 2 (if they get it back in - they were sold out) or Druaga, though I doubt they'll even bother carrying that.

Keepers I got were Neo Contra, Sly 2 (which better not suck - I loved the first, but I'm ascared since I haven't heard anyone say anything about this one since it came out) and Donkey Konga. I wasn't gonna get DK, but my friend sent me an mp3 of him playing the Pokemon theme with dog sound effects and it melted my heart. Plus I need the kongas for Jungle Beat.

Jumpman

I called a bunch of TRU's yesterday to plan which ones to go to based on the games they had/ prices of said games. Thanks to that effort, I was able to get almost everything I wanted for the best possible price. :D

Heres my current haul:

Pomona TRU:

Paper Mario 2 $49.99
Ninja Gaiden $49.99
Fable $0.00 :)

Xbox Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow $29.99
Chronicles of Riddick $29.99
Lord of the Rings: ROTK $0.00 :)

Cerritos TRU:

Hitman: Contracts $29.99
GCN Harvest Moon $29.99
GCN Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow $0.00 :)

Hitman 2 $19.99
007: Everything or Nothing $19.99
Ace Combat 4 $0.00 :)

Total Cost to me including tax: $281.20 :D

That's 12 games, originally valued at $649.37, for next to nothing! It sure paid off to hold of on some of my game purchases in anticipation of this sale. Between price drops and this deal I saved $368.17!!! I'll need that money too, as there are still over 20 games coming out this year that I plan on buying (although I'll probably wait for price drops on at least half of those).

The only games I couldn't find (they aren't at any Toys R Us stores apparently) are Katamari Damacy, and Midway Arcade Treasures 2.

I'm going back later this week to pick up:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Ace Combat 5
Donkey Konga

I think I'll wait on Neo Contra until it drops to $19.99, the demo turned me off in some ways, and to many people are saying that the game is way to easy. :(

Rhindle

RevenantKioku said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
They FUCKED ME NOOOO.
Okay, so I was scanning up people today, and noticed something. If you had 3 same priced games, it always knocked the last one off
If you had 3 19.99 games lined up like so
Green Tag 19.99
Green Tag 19.99
Not Green 19.99
It would knock the not green off for free, and then the two green tags would shrink to 9.99 and you'd get the 3 games for 19.98 + tax!
When my shift ended, and I went to buy what I wanted, it didn't work that time!
Well, that trick worked for me. I picked up 6 $19.99 titles for a grand total of $39.99. :D

The TRU I went to had tons of good stuff on Green Tag.

RevenantKioku said:
return != exchange

In a return you get your money back, in either cash, credit, or store credit form. In an exchange, they just switch the items you've bought. I was told by my manager that he would do this, and the instructions will be to allow this.
It may vary by store and manager.

perhaps you misunderstood me. and yes...i do know what the difference between a return and an exchange is thank you very much, but thanks for the re-education.

but as the post said....the 33 dollar thing was stated for This sale only on all returns AND exchanges.

peace

RevenantKioku

Fixed2BeBroken said:
but as the post said....the 33 dollar thing was stated for This sale only on all returns AND exchanges.

peace

Perhaps you didn't read my post?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm uncertain as to when GTA-SA will show up at TRU. Anyone have any idea? Is it going to be Wednesday?

RevenantKioku

Fixed2BeBroken said:

Good god man, are you daft?
Yes I read that. (That's past tense.) Then I went and asked a manager after reading that very post. This is after I read the post you quoted. As in yesterday. Lets look at that post, oh, oh, I'm getting a little hot here. NO YOU FAIL.
Sweet jesus, what is this? Do I have to spell it out for you with a tube of chocolate frosting?

MY
MANAGER
SAID
THEY
WOULD
DO
IT

So just check, its worth trying.

RevenantKioku said:
Good god man, are you daft?
Yes I read that. (That's past tense.) Then I went and asked a manager after reading that very post. This is after I read the post you quoted. As in yesterday. Lets look at that post, oh, oh, I'm getting a little hot here. NO YOU FAIL.
Sweet jesus, what is this? Do I have to spell it out for you with a tube of chocolate frosting?

MY
MANAGER
SAID
THEY
WOULD
DO
IT

So just check, its worth trying.

and what are the chances he turns around and says "oh....company policy...can only do 33 dollars on exchange and returns cause it was thru this sale" ?

thats my point. I remember last year when people were told by managers about such and such and then they go back and its tottally a different story...

that is my point. I dont believe your Toys R Us is a Franchise owned by your Manager, and Im pretty sure this Policy is in effect with all the Toys R Uses...

If not then...well big whoop for you.

peace

RevenantKioku

Fixed2BeBroken said:
and what are the chances he turns around and says "oh....company policy...can only do 33 dollars on exchange and returns cause it was thru this sale" ?

thats my point. I remember last year when people were told by managers about such and such and then they go back and its tottally a different story...

that is my point. I dont believe your Toys R Us is a Franchise owned by your Manager, and Im pretty sure this Policy is in effect with all the Toys R Uses...

If not then...well big whoop for you.

peace

You've obviously never bitched at a TRU. They cave in pretty quick, trust me.

Plus, that post in question doesn't sound too reliable anyway.

raYne

Went to two different TRU's both were packed with people like someone spread the word and since I didn't get there as early as I planned I only ended up getting Tony Hawk Underground 2, Def Jam FFNY and SNK Capcom Chaos. Most of the games I wanted in both TRU's were gone so I couldn't even find another combination of 3 that I wanted. :(

Heading back later this week while the kiddies are at school for:
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-X-Men Legends
-Ninja Turtles 2
-Bloodrayne 2 (didn't even see a section for it, so TRU might not even carry it) :/
-Midway Arcade Treasures 2
-Robotech Invasion (struggling to find a third game heh)

The only games I couldn't find (they aren't at any Toys R Us stores apparently) are Katamari Damacy, and Midway Arcade Treasures 2.
Seriously? Aww man... :/ Oh well... looks like the value of one of my free games just jumped from 19.99 to 49.99... that's a shame... :lol

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
"-Robotech Invasion (struggling to find a third game heh)"

I want it so bad....and then I saw it....and then I realized the game isn't on Cube....and then I cried...oh yes, FT cried. Gimme Love? :*(

raYne

Just the whole idea about using a cyclone and taking on the Invid makes me want it. However, if they kept the same developer and cell-shaded graphics that were used in Battlecry (one of my favorite "sleeper" titles) I would be more excited over it.

*resumes quest for game to replace Arcade Treasures 2 in the lineup*

PopfulMail

Donkey Konga
Paper Mario
Pimin 2
SNK vs Capcom
Kingdom Under Fire
Outrun 2

Plan on going back later this week to pick up

GTA: SA
DOAU
and something else....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CVXFREAK said:
Why two editions of Pandora?

Yeah really, especially the absolutely awful GC edition. Why did Ubi even bother? That was an absolutely pathetic effort...

RevenantKioku said:
Oh and faceless, you got screwed. For $10 more, you could have gotten the Monkey Ball double pack, WW is $30, no? and you could have gotten another game under $30 for free.
there was no monkey ball double pack

cvxfreak

The Faceless Master said:
there was no monkey ball double pack

:(

I would have gone to another TRU; the double pack is essentially both those games shrinkwrapped together. Ah well, they're still great games.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose I'll go over there tomorrow and see if I can fill out a raincheck for SMT: Nocturne. Maybe they'll get a copy in later in the week, and I can pick it up when I go get San Andreas & Taiko Drum Master. I hope so.

Jumpman

CVXFREAK said:
Why two editions of Pandora?

Well I guess I'm a little to much into the series.

Basically, I got the Xbox version for the superior graphics and the online play (not that I really care about online play). I got the Gamecube version for the smoother (IMO) control, the end of level rankings (so I can replay levels and try to do better, beat my best time, etc.), and I was under the impression it had an extra level or something. I had both versions of the original (buy POP and get Splinter Cell free deal) and the levels were different enough from each other that it was almost a new experience when I played the GCN version. I wouldn't have paid for a second version, but since it was free, I'll take it gladly.

Dark, what do you mean by "absolutely awful conversion." Is there something major wrong with it? Should I swap it for the PS2 version instead? The Gamecube version of the original was solid, if this one is anywhere near the same level, then I'll be satisfied.

evilromero said:
Today: Fable, Sly 2 and Silent Hill 4.
Wednesday: Taiko, Fatal Fram 2: DC, and I don't know what else yet.
You may want to think about a FF2: DC substitute if EB/GS's new release date is accurate (11/2) ;)

Jumpman

AniHawk said:
Hey Jumpman, when were you at the Pomona one? I was there at 3:30.

Eleven-ish. I was there for at least 30 minutes sorting through my choices. Some guy Travis was manning the counter. I was wondering if I would cross paths with any GAFers. Whenever we have these big deals and I'm in the store, I can't help but eye the other shoppers, thinking they could be someone I talk to here, heh.

Pomona TRU is easily the best that I've been to in a while. If anyone is having trouble finding their games, I'd check that location out. Before I went there, I called around extensively, and they have the strongest selection of games in SoCal.

i think im gonna be tempted to take advantage of this deal when Bard's Tale comes out on Tuesday (or wed/thurs i guess), but damn if i don't really want to drop $100, regardless of a good deal. Maybe i can talk my brothers to go 3way in with me, so we can each get a new game for about $35.

Jumpman

LightningZero5 said:
What about Dead or Alive Ultimate?

Most stores weren't sure, but a couple of them said Friday. I never trust a Toys R Us lackey to know the right date though. The best thing to do is to call them at least twice a day until they get it in.

Top Bottom