• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free: What Did You Score?

M3wThr33

Banned
Cube:
Haunted Mansion, Pac-Man Fever, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Tak 1, Ribbit King, Monkey Ball 2, RE Zero

PS2:
Castlevania LOI and Devil May Cry

It seemed a lot more crowded today at TRU. Last year the 3for2 sale didn't seem as big. Maybe CAG is growing, or combined with the green tags, people went apeshit.

Deku Tree

Can you mix your console games online?

I want to get

SMT:N
Star Ocean 3
Donkey Konga

But it's probably not worth it to run around looking for a TRU with SMT:N.

Jumpman

Deku Tree said:

No.

Deku Tree said:
I want to get

Star Ocean 3
Donkey Konga

It's not that hard to pick up the phone, give it a try. :)

AniHawk

Deku Tree said:

I want to get

Star Ocean 3
Donkey Konga

Where do you live? The one in Pomona had plenty.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Going later this week to pick up two GTA:SAs (one for friend) and one copy of Paper Mario.

Don't need anymore games right now =/ can't play all the ones I have.

EDIT: are they really not getting GTA till the 28th like the ad says? lame.

Lee-T

Dead or Alive should be in some TRU stores as early as Wednesday, but most TRU's won't have it until Thursday. Man don't employees ever read up on stuff. They sent a huge notice to stores saying Dead or Alive was advertised in the ad but didn't have a release date listed and was shown in the ad like it was in stock(pther games in the ad had an "expected in stock" date). Then they gave the dates it would be in stores by and what to tell a customer if they ask about it.

GTA says it will be in stores 10/28, but it should actually make it there on Wednesday the 27th. The 26th is the ship date, so the 27th is almost guaranteed. They list the 28th in the ad for two reasons: in case something does happen and it arrives late, and so that when TRU opens the 28th they will have the games in stock. If they listed the 27th people would expect them in stock right when they opened, but the games wouldn't arrive until the afternoon(whenever the delivery guy gets there).

Deku Tree

AniHawk said:
Where do you live? The one in Pomona had plenty.

Rhode Island, e.g. very far away from the TRU in Pomona. But that's good to know, thanks. I got the impression from skimming over this thread that TRU was not stocking much of SMT:N. I'll check it out locally this week.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense thanks Lee-T

I will cruise down on wednesday (after calling them, of course) since it is my day off.

luxsol

robojimbo said:
I'm definately going with GTA:SA and Paper Mario 2. As far as the third game goes, I've narrowed it down to R&C3, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Gradius V, or Ace Combat 5 in the order of likelyness. I'm too poor to get them all right now.
If you're already getting GTA:SA and Paper Mario and you're poor... might as well go for a full priced game like Ace Combat 5 (definitely getting that) or Rachet and Clank 3. SF:AC and Gradius are only $30.

Jumpman

Defensor said:
I beat both of you to the Pomona one right in the morning :D

Blast you Defensor! Blast you!!!

Didn't they open at ten? You must of left right before I got there, or maybe you were still there?? hmm.......

sasimirobot

Hey guys I really need some help! Does the "limited edition Platinum" gamecube at ToysRus still have the component/digital output??

I dont see a place to email and ask about it on the site. Thanks in advance

oh. I found the email. Im just worried they dont know what Im talking about since it is kinda a technical question.

I'm on cloud nine right now having scored:
Pikmin 2
SMT: Nocturne
Tales of Symphonia

Yeah, so TRS did't have quite a few things I was looking for. No Otogi 2, for example.
Yet I have been enjoying Pikmin 2 and Nocturne IMMENSELY today. Both of these games just rock hard as hell. Anybody on the fence about either should just grab them now at this TRS deal. Nocturne especially impressed me because, honestly, I was expecting lower production values than what the game actually flexes, which is something uber eloquent and stylish. And Pikmin 2 is so damn polished, as well, but I knew that was a great game already.
I started on TOS too, because I just couldn't resist, and it seems fine though not as stylish and psychologically probing as Nucturne is(in the begging of each, from what I've played etc.)

AniHawk

Heliocentric said:
I'm on cloud nine right now having scored:
Pikmin 2
SMT: Nocturne
Tales of Symphonia

Yeah, so TRS did't have quite a few things I was looking for. No Otogi 2, for example.
Yet I have been enjoying Pikmin 2 and Nocturne IMMENSELY today. Both of these games just rock hard as hell. Anybody on the fence about either should just grab them now at this TRS deal. Nocturne especially impressed me because, honestly, I was expecting lower production values than what the game actually flexes, which is something uber eloquent and stylish. And Pikmin 2 is so damn polished, as well, but I knew that was a great game already.
I started on TOS too, because I just couldn't resist, and it seems fine though not as stylish and psychologically probing as Nucturne is(in the begging of each, from what I've played etc.)

If I were you, I'd play ToS before Nocturne. It sounds like SMT's got a better-told story, and it might be hard to go back to ToS afterwards.

AniHawk said:
If I were you, I'd play ToS before Nocturne. It sounds like SMT's got a better-told story, and it might be hard to go back to ToS afterwards.

Nocturne is hot. I can tell right away that it's on a different plane than TOS.
After playing it a bit today I went into the next room and put the soundtrack bundled in on my stereo sat back and read a book for a while and my conciousness was like leaving my body.
This is the shit that fiends crave, that gaming high you can rarely recapture. The aesthetics are so damn tasty, the game is plain fun, and I am shocked that this is considered a niche title. This is like sticking it to every lame RPG. Too bad there aren't more games like this over here.

p.s.

I might have to take your advice, especially since I'm hooked on Pikmin 2 and going between that and TOS will be fun, and then I'll play through Nocturne.

sasimirobot said:
Hey guys I really need some help! Does the "limited edition Platinum" gamecube at ToysRus still have the component/digital output??

oh. I found the email. Im just worried they dont know what Im talking about since it is kinda a technical question.
from what i remember reading, some do, some don't...

Cathcart

Pikmin 2
Phantom Brave
Shin Megami Tensei: Pokdémon

No problems finding Nocturne, they had plenty of them in stock. So far it's the only one of the three I've played and I'm loving it. I should have called out today.

BojTrek

Banned
I am heading out now... what I am buying who knows... but it will be X-box games...

First I have to return 5 games to EB for some relatives...

Men of Valor
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario 2

I'm definately playing Men of Valor. So, one of the other two are going back next week for LoTR: The Third Age. Question is - which one do I play: Tales of Symphonia or Paper Mario 2?

Meier

Awful, awful selection at my local one.. might do it online but probably will just skip the deal entirely (outside of getting 3 copies of San Andreas tonight/tomorrow).

olimario

Banned
Hot Damn, this deal rocked.
Thank you, TRU.
tr222u3for2.jpg

Ristamar

olimario said:
Hot Damn, this deal rocked.
Thank you, TRU.
tr222u3for2.jpg

Wait a minute, WTF is that? The Monkey Ball box? I didn't think the deluxe pack was coming to the GC? Or do they just give you both games separately?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw it today. Meh.

Jesiatha

Burnout 3
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Chronicles of Riddick

I didn't realize you can get games for multiple consoles....can you guys convince me to not trade Riddick back to get Sly Cooper 2?

Dracos

RE: Outbreak
Street Fighter Ann. Coll
Riddick
Wario Ware
Onimusha 3
Outrun 2
SVC Chaos
Star Ocean
Nocturne
Donkey Konga
Monster Hunter
Shadow Hearts 2

Sein

Neo Member
The word on CAG is that the resellers are clearing out entire stores' worth of games. I was hoping to pick up Paper Mario 2, Ace Combat V, and San Andreas on Wednesday or Thursday, but I'm beginning to doubt that Paper Mario 2 will still be in stock.

AniHawk said:

yea but....

TOS battle system > SMT: Nocturne battle system

Dave Long

Banned
Sein said:
The word on CAG is that the resellers are clearing out entire stores' worth of games. I was hoping to pick up Paper Mario 2, Ace Combat V, and San Andreas on Wednesday or Thursday, but I'm beginning to doubt that Paper Mario 2 will still be in stock.

They really should be putting a limit on purchases if that's the case. I hate resellers.

Jumpman

sasimirobot said:

Check the side of the box for yourself. On the side where it shows the various Gamecube accesories, look just below that where it says....

This Set Includes:

It is here that it lists the contents of the box. Four bullet points. One for the AC Adaptor, one for the console, one for the controller, and one for the A/V cables. Look at the line for the the console, it should have a model number. Here is the important part. If the model number is DOL-001 (USA), then the Cube is component capable. That is the one you want. The newer models (without the digital out) have a DOL-101 (USA) model number. It's easy to get confused so I'd write it down if I were you.

Good luck in finding one. In late August/early September I picked up my Fourth Gamecube (It was the Platinum Metroid Prime bundle), and it was not very easy to find this model. You may be to late, but it's worth a try. :)

Mashing

It should also be noted that you can return your 101 model to Nintendo and they'll replace it (hopefully new) with a 001 model that has the component outputs.

Nester

I really want to wait until they get in DOA:U so I can get that, GTA:SA and Paper Mario, but I'm afraid one or two of them will be gone by the time DOA:U is in store. :(

Drek

For $100 I got:
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Fable
Shadow Hearts 2

For $10 I got:
Unreal Championship
Tekken Tag
Virtua Fighter 4

I'm looking to unload my extra copy of VF4 for $10 now. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Drek said:
For $100 I got:
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Fable
Shadow Hearts 2

For $10 I got:
Unreal Championship
Tekken Tag
Virtua Fighter 4

I'm looking to unload my extra copy of VF4 for $10 now. :)

So, again, is GTA-SA already available at TRU?

Top Bottom