• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails Series Sells 8 Million Units Worldwide

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
GUiKmbpaEAATXJT

Via Noisy Pixel

Developer Nihon Falcom has announced that its ongoing Trails series has sold over eight million units worldwide in its latest financial report detailing the third quarter of the fiscal year ending September 2024.

The series was confirmed to have sold 7.5 million units back in January 2024.

Thanks to Hansuke for sharing this news.

Hudo

Ngl, that's pretty crazy for one of the most niche JRPG franchises (at least outside JP, dunno how popular Trails is in Japan).

Mr Hyde

I haven't played one entry in this franchise but conglaturation to the devs. It's probably much deserved considering how much praise the Trails-series gets.

SantaC

I haven't played one entry in this franchise but conglaturation to the devs. It's probably much deserved considering how much praise the Trails-series gets.
because it has actual world building and every new game continues from the last one.

Skifi28

Unfortunately they've made it really hard to do so. The thought alone of having to play 10 games to catch up is very daunting, especially when some of them are quite old. I've been on this journey for a few months now and it's worth it, but it takes some real dedication.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Unfortunately they've made it really hard to do so. The thought alone of having to play 10 games to catch up is very daunting, especially when some of them are quite old. I've been on this journey for a few months now and it's worth it, but it takes some real dedication.

Yeah, it's why I never dipped in. It's just too much for me. I already have a couple of favorite jrpg-franchises that I play so I'll just stick to those that I'm familiar with.

Yeah, it's why I never dipped in. It's just too much for me. I already have a couple of favorite jrpg-franchises that I play so I'll just stick to those that I'm familiar with.
Too much in what way? You don't have to play them all at one time or back to back. What I did was just throw in a title every now and then after playing other games. It took me years to catch up but that's fine. Same thing I did with the Yakuza games and it also took me years to catch up on that one

Mr Hyde

Too much in what way? You don't have to play them all at one time or back to back. What I did was just throw in a title every now and then after playing other games. It took me years to catch up but that's fine. Same thing I did with the Yakuza games and it also took me years to catch up on that one

Too much as in it will take years to fully catch up, as you say. It feels daunting and not something I'm willing to do just now since I have so much else to play and so little time to do it. Maybe in the future I'll get around to it.

Hohenheim

I recently started my epic journey into this series, and also the YS series.
So far i've finished the first Trails in the sky and YS origins. Loving both series so far, and it makes me very happy to know that I have tons of games ahead!
Got most games from both series on the Steam summer sale.

StereoVsn

Doesn’t seem a lot of you think of how many Trails games are there. Still, it is a pretty niche series.

Personally I probably have a dozen various copies of different games.

• PSP Trails 1&2.
  • And digital versions of these.
  • And PC versions, lol. Plus PC version of 3rd.
  • A few different versions of Japanese Vita games for Sky and Azure/Zero games.
  • Azure/Zero Switch and PC
  • Cold Steel 1&2 Vita, PS3, PC
And then I just couldn’t get past Cold Steel arc and quit, lol.

StereoVsn

Too much as in it will take years to fully catch up, as you say. It feels daunting and not something I'm willing to do just now since I have so much else to play and so little time to do it. Maybe in the future I'll get around to it.
You could start with the newest one as it’s the new Storyline. You could probably catch up on the story in couple of hours on various YouTube videos or less.

Unfortunately they've made it really hard to do so
I've played Cold Steel blind. Felt like any other game, didn't see anything missing. I dabbled with Zero, same thing. Currently playing Daybreak, same feeling. It's just like any other JRPG. Each game feels like they specifically tried to make it easy as a starting point.

You might not want to jump in with Cold Steel 4 or something, but the series has at least four games that you can start with and not feel like you missed anything. Ignorance is bliss. You may only know you are missing something if you have already spoiled yourself.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Geez, never thought the franchise is this niche. Was a huge fan when Trails in the Sky FC released 20 years ago, but gradually lost interest during the trails of cold steel period. Nevertheless, I at least contributed 10 units to the total sale, lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've bought these games a ton of times, so I'm helping!

All the Switch physical releases (including Cold Steel 1 & 2 that were exclusive to Japan), I have the first two games on PSP UMD, own (I believe) all of them on GOG, and a few I even double-dipped on Steam.

Now I just need to finish playing them all.

I've bought these games a ton of times, so I'm helping!

All the Switch physical releases (including Cold Steel 1 & 2 that were exclusive to Japan), I have the first two games on PSP UMD, own (I believe) all of them on GOG, and a few I even double-dipped on Steam.

Now I just need to finish playing them all.

Which Trails are you on? đź‘€

AmuroChan

I think that NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt contributed with at least 15 of those sales (maybe more due to double dips). Isn't that right? đź‘€

I've purchased almost 15 copies of just Trails through Daybreak.

PS5 physical standard NA
PS5 physical special edition NA
PS5 physical standard EU
PS5 physical special edition EU
PS5 physical standard JP
PS4 physical standard NA
PS4 physical special edition NA
PS4 physical standard JP
PS4 physical Special Spriggan Edition JP
Switch physical standard NA
Switch physical special edition NA
Switch physical standard JP
Switch physical special edition JP
PS5/PS4 Digital Deluxe Edition

PS5 physical standard NA
PS5 physical standard EU
PS5 physical standard JP
PS4 physical standard NA
PS4 physical standard JP

You are more dedicated than me

If I had money I would be doing the same thing đź‘€

Skifi28

PS5 physical standard NA
PS5 physical standard EU
PS5 physical standard JP
PS4 physical standard NA
PS4 physical standard JP
I could only wish Nihon spent to voice acting more lines the amount of money you did buying their games.

AmuroChan

Very few voiced lines. Sometimes you can have one character voiced and the others not in the same sequence. I'm all for low budget titles, but this is too much.

Honestly, it has never bothered me personally. These games are so heavy in exposition that I'm usually just reading the dialogue through really quickly and not even giving the spoken lines a chance to finish.

StereoVsn

Oh that's good

TITS 3 is still a great game too. Can't wait till you get to that one. My advice with the 3rd TITS game is to do all the doors. The Crossbell games are great too. I can't wait till you get to Cold Steel III and Daybreak đź‘€
Crossbell games are indeed very good. Personally Sky 2&3 and Crossbell are my favorite games in the series.

Last edited:
Honestly, it has never bothered me personally. These games are so heavy in exposition that I'm usually just reading the dialogue through really quickly and not even giving the spoken lines a chance to finish.
Is this because you play with Japanese audio? I can't believe anyone would just skip voice acting in their native language for a game they actually enjoy, especially one with as much narrative as this.

I always allow the audio to finish. It feels blasphemous otherwise. Even with Japanese audio, I allow it to finish. I can understand about half the words, but I don't usually try very hard to follow along.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Is this because you play with Japanese audio? I can't believe anyone would just skip voice acting in their native language for a game they actually enjoy, especially one with as much narrative as this.

I always allow the audio to finish. It feels blasphemous otherwise. Even with Japanese audio, I allow it to finish. I can understand about half the words, but I don't usually try very hard to follow along.

Yes, I always play in JP audio with subs whenever that's an option. I find American voice acting in JRPGs generally terrible compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Top Bottom