• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron |OT| Me Grimlock no bozo! Me KING!

Bizazedo

After installing it on my HD on 360, btw, I thought it looked better than the demo. Definitely helped with pop-in at the very least.

Why are people so surprised about no co-op in story?

Co-Op stories only work when you have characters in place to make it work. This game generally focuses on a stronger single-player, per-bot experiences. Stage design in general seems to benefit from it rather well. It actually makes me respect them for not just tossing out more of the same, buy building something more refined and focused.

Problem is War did it & had the great single player experience.
You could have chosen between 3 different characters with 3 different unique transforming traits.
The levels were designed for variation & repeatability.

I also really hate hearing that there are now stealth only sections in this game.

mollipen

there was screen tearing as well

I'm typically very sensitive to screen tearing, I played the PS3 version, and I'll be hones in saying I remember seeing very little tearing. On the other hand, I instantly saw it when I went back to my copy of War for Cybertron on PS3 to check on some things.

In no way would I call the PS3 version a "disaster", but I also didn't play the Xbox 360 version side-by-side to compare.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just posted my review. It's in Polish, but you can have some fun reading the google translation if you wish.
Loved the game, hope I'll be able to play some more multiplayer.

d0c_zaius

I'm typically very sensitive to screen tearing, I played the PS3 version, and I'll be hones in saying I remember seeing very little tearing. On the other hand, I instantly saw it when I went back to my copy of War for Cybertron on PS3 to check on some things.

In no way would I call the PS3 version a "disaster", but I also didn't play the Xbox 360 version side-by-side to compare.

oh I dont think its a disaster, but I wanted to mention the tearing in case some people (like myself) cant stand it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Problem is War did it & had the great single player experience.
You could have chosen between 3 different characters with 3 different unique transforming traits.
The levels were designed for variation & repeatability.

While I did like WfC, I can't agree with any of this. The variations between characters were minimal and the levels were overly long and far too similar to one another. FoC's campaign is superior in every respect.

I also really hate hearing that there are now stealth only sections in this game.

None of the stealth is forced. You can run and gun your way through the two "stealth" levels with no penalty whatsoever.

mollipen

oh I dont think its a disaster, but I wanted to mention the tearing in case some people (like myself) cant stand it.

No, absolutely—I'm just saying that I usually notice it very easily (hello Uncharted), but I don't really remember it bothering me here. I almost wish I hadn't read this, because now I know I'll go back to the game and notice it instantly. *heh*

And this is one of those cases that shows how hard it can be to review games, because you often don't have the ability to give a full play through of multiple versions to do direct comparisons. Like, I honestly didn't know that the "blue pixels" in the PS3 version were a graphical error—I thought they were a purposefully-chosen stylistic effect. I strangely liked the effect, and now I know it's just a screw-up. *laughs*

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The removal of co-op was to facilitate the greatly improved campaign. While it's definitely a point in the negative column, the campaign was so good I didn't miss it in the end. Escalation is still there for my co-op fix.

And its damn easy. I never beat WFC's escalation. I managed to beat FOC's escalation my first time, with a random matchmaking group.

Escalation has difficulties now. You can select easy/medium/hard when you're hosting. No idea if this shows up in matchmaking since I didn't even check it.

Honest question, is there an "end" to WFC's escalation? I got to wave 18 or 19 once, but the amount of the huge tanks that would spawn (two per wave at that point) would just kill us through attrition. I dunno if it terminates eventually or if you just get swamped by large amounts of dudes.

Dave_6

Bought a copy (360) at BB while I was on lunch. There was a sticker on the slip telling me that I would get a code for 5 free episodes of More Than Meets the Eye. Instead of that I got a code for the G1 Retro pack which I would rather have anyways.

so looking at the cast list (still waiting for my copy to ship, Amazon)
no Arcee or Slipstream this time? what gives? and Bumblebee remains mute? greaaaaat, just peachy.

No single player might be a turn off for some people, but I can definitely see some places in the Campaign which just wouldn't have been possible with WFC style co op. The campaign is pretty damn good in using game play for a story telling perspective. My one dissapointment is the lack of boss battles. WFC had some pretty awesome boss fights, and there were a lot of them. I just finished chapter 10 and i haven't seen anything resembling a real boss fight.

I just wish they'd focused on making escalation better in the place of co-op. If anything it feels like a step back. Admittedly i've only played one game, but not being able to choose your character, just class, is pretty sad. And its damn easy. I never beat WFC's escalation. I managed to beat FOC's escalation my first time, with a random matchmaking group.

That's disapointing too. I loved the boss fights in the first. The one where Tripticon was falling towards Cyberton was INSANE>

Sadist

Oh sweet, I'm got invited to a little membersevent in honour of FoC's release. Apparently I'm getting a free copy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Honest question, is there an "end" to WFC's escalation? I got to wave 18 or 19 once, but the amount of the huge tanks that would spawn (two per wave at that point) would just kill us through attrition. I dunno if it terminates eventually or if you just get swamped by large amounts of dudes.

As far as I know there is no end to it in WfC. Once you hit Wave 20 it just repeats until you die. There are YouTube videos of people hitting the 60s.

Cth

I wish they had a game mode like MechAssault's Juggernaut mode.

Smaller mechs/bots take on a larger mech/combiner:
mechass6.jpg

Maybe have two game modes:
1) Destroy a target (or level a city, etc)
mechass9.jpg

2) King of the Hill gameplay - Survive as long as you can while people take potshots at you, whoever kills you becomes the new Juggernaut/Combiner.

Yikes, that's a bummer. Less than meets the eye?

edit: I actually went and checked how WfC compared and they were identical. wtf happened, High Moon?

hmm that's rather strange. Maybe the PS3 can't handle the newly updated UE3 engine. These updates were designed around gears of war 3 anyway.

hmm that's rather strange. Maybe the PS3 can't handle the newly updated UE3 engine. These updates were designed around gears of war 3 anyway.

Good thing I went with 360 this time after playing both demos. I usually get most games on PS3, but if there's perfomance issues and visuals that just aren't up to par - 360 it is.

Installed the game to my HDD and it's running smoothly.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
just finished the single player mode, and wow that was kinda fast and short and unexciting.....

Reason being is that there are zero surprises for you. its like going to watch rush hour, and then you found out all the jokes they showed on the movie, they already showed on the commercials....

i dunno, yes we knew we can control grimlock, we knew about the metroplex reveal and bruticus, etc. Other than that there was nothing new to surprise me. also, i dont think i ever heard anything about dark energon, wth? I see no reason why they crap'd on the co-op mode in place of a supposedly better story-telling. i think they needed more time to craft the single player, imo.

pick any weapon you want was kinda okay, except that the campaign was so short i only leveled up 3 of them, the rest were kinda meh weapons. Not enough exploration to try them all out.

Im gonna try escalation right now, it might alleviate the disappointment that i bought this from steam, ugh.

george_us

Campaign is straight up boring so far and somehow feels janky compared to War for Cybertron. Sad since I loved War for Cybertron.

I never finished the first game - was its SP that good? I played the first couple levels of WFC and thought t was kind of boring.

I'm liking the SP in this so far due to the pacing and the different weapons are fun to use.

Btw, here are the planned DLC packs. I might get the Dino pack.

f399f0690591bcab34b68ec78139f03a.jpg

Hung Wei Lo

I never finished the first game - was its SP that good? I played the first couple levels of WFC and thought t was kind of boring.

I'm liking the SP in this so far due to the pacing and the different weapons are fun to use.

Btw, here are the planned DLC packs. I might get the Dino pack.

f399f0690591bcab34b68ec78139f03a.jpg

Slug :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think so :/

And they're charging $10 for each pack, so I dunno if I'll even get anything. That's pride gouging for some damn MP skins, yo.
I approve. Better than messing with the MP balance, which already sounds pretty bad.

Just wish that Acti would get the memo that PC games cost $50 at launch and not $60. PC gamers can't trade it in or buy it used, so there's no way to mitigate that cost.

Scirrocco

I think so :/

And they're charging $10 for each pack, so I dunno if I'll even get anything. That's pride gouging for some damn MP skins, yo.

The dinobot one says its multiplayer, actually. I remember the devs saying that they found a way to put them in, but i thought it was just the unlockable dino heads. I hope they won't imbalance the game.

Of course, escalation could also be counted as multiplayer. It would make a lot more sense to just make an escalation map with the dinobots playable.

mollipen

Hey, at least he's in, unlike Sludge. The treatment he gets in this game infuriates me, given he represents my favorite dinosaur.

And come on High Moon/Activision—give me a pack of female Transformers. I have money right here waiting to pay you for that stupid DLC!

I approve. Better than messing with the MP balance, which already sounds pretty bad.

Understatement of the year.

Some of the loadouts/combos are completely horseshit.

Several character concepts and ideas they included just flat out don't work due to ineffectiveness in the face of some cheeseball crap.

REV 09

caved and bought the pc version. Loved WfC and so far this is good too. The campaign seems like a big improvement, and everything looks great and clean on the pc. Escalation seems ok, may be a step back. Multi is good fun....haven't played much though and also haven't played WfC in a while to compare. I was having a good time in all modes and don't see any glaring flaws yet, well other than matchmaking needing a patch. SP is the biggest improvement.

Man this MP is great. Really wish I'd gotten into WFC now. Haven't even played anything aside from TDM. Love the depth and strategy and the maps are all designed pretty well for both forms. Loving the medic. Have only recently started to learn how to fly away from the big boys and track down the power boosters and health regens. Anyone unlock combat medic yet or whatever? How much does it boost damage?

Giolon

Here I was today all ready to go out and buy this game to play it with my friends and then I found out No Campaign Co-op?! What assclown made that decision? That was half the reason I bought the first game.

So disappoint.

Bizazedo

Destroyer becomes ridiculously powerful once he can increase the speed at which he can fire his rockets.

Annoyed that they gave him Hover Slam instead of the Soldier / Titan as I'll never replace Barrier.

Going to see a lot of them in MP :(.

And I will never get the 3 caps in one game of CTF.

Dave_6

I'm only up to the point in SP where I play as
Cliffjumper
(may not be a spoiler) and I'm really loving it so far. If you are a big Transformers fan this game has some really cool moments in it. Can't wait to get back at it tonight!

Top Bottom