• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

ram

The Take Out Bandit said:
It's going back to Gamefly.

Thoroughly unimpressed.

Really wish the vehicle modes were better thought out and incorporated into the game.

this - its just another multiplayer shooter - transformation feels tacked on, visuals are boring and gerneric unreal 3 style. not the transformers game i had hoped.

MEH

Foxix Von

ram said:
this - its just another multiplayer shooter - transformation feels tacked on, visuals are boring and gerneric unreal 3 style. not the transformers game i had hoped.

MEH

While I respect your opinion, I really truly and honestly couldn't have a more different view of the game.

I just got this today. Saw the Eurogamer review and a couple of comments in this thread and I'm already regretting it.:lol

Nah, I'll give it a good blast and hopefully enjoy it.
am cry if shit

Katana_Strikes said:
I just got this today. Saw the Eurogamer review and a couple of comments in this thread and I'm already regretting it.:lol

Nah, I'll give it a good blast and hopefully enjoy it.
am cry if shit

I just glanced at the Eurogamer review of this and this part really couldn't be more wrong

The multiplayer comes with a handful of COD-style level perks and the ability to "design your own Transformer" (read: ability to choose the primary and secondary colours on a selection of pre-built bots), but it seems unlikely to challenge Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare 2 for your fragging needs. The perks are too slight to be worth the effort, and as with the campaign, the character classes aren't quite different enough.
The character classes are significantly different and I find the perc selection can have a pretty large impact on things.

Foxix Von

forgeforsaken said:
I just glanced at the Eurogamer review of this and this part really couldn't be more wrong

The character classes are significantly different and I find the perc selection can have a pretty large impact on things.

Oh wow I skimmed over that part. Really? I can understand a lot of the complaints but if they had spent any time at all in the multiplayer, or even just playing more than one class they should know that's just factually wrong.

Lot of the "perks" really are pretty useless when they are supposed to help differentiation the classes.

I do somewhat agree with the transformation stuff as well. Outside of parts of the campagin, transformation of some classes really has little use outside of getting places faster.

As a fan I'm enjoying the hell out of the game though it's obviously very rough around the edges. It's by no means a bad game or cheap shitty licensed crap as well. The single player is pretty impressive with it's nice campaign.

Sill4

ram said:

MEH
To me, this game feels very different compared to other console shooters. I love CoD, BC2 and Halo, but this game, with the transformations the map designs AND the different classes (which are pleasantly not just a direct copy of the normal "Battlefield" type classes) is so well executed that if it wasn't for Reach coming out in September, I'd likely play this as my main online shooter all year.

I was expecting escalation to be a crappy, tacked on horde mode knockoff (see AvP's Survival), so when I started playing, I was very surprised to see the thought that went into making the two escalation maps last so long. If High Moon makes another game, I really hope to see some awesome improvements to the mode.

BattleMonkey said:
I do somewhat agree with the transformation stuff as well. Outside of parts of the campagin, transformation of some classes really has little use outside of getting places faster.
Well, the maps are designed with shortcuts (windows) that are only big enough for your vehicle form, unless your a tiny scout. Changing up your tactic by using your vehicles weapon is about a big of a use I can think of. I'm not really sure what some people's expectations were for transforming, but quicker movement, vehicle-only shortcuts and the ability to do driveby attacks are the only real uses I can think of for a game like this.

Kletian

Sill4 said:
Well, the maps are designed with shortcuts (windows) that are only big enough for your vehicle form, unless your a tiny scout. Changing up your tactic by using your vehicles weapon is about a big of a use I can think of. I'm not really sure what some people's expectations were for transforming, but quicker movement, vehicle-only shortcuts and the ability to do driveby attacks are the only real uses I can think of for a game like this.

I've actually had a fair few decent kills in my vehicle mode on multiplayer. Roll up to a skirmish, lob a tank shot or two from afar (which usually kills a dude) then transform and start my guns blazing.

Kletian said:
I've actually had a fair few decent kills in my vehicle mode on multiplayer. Roll up to a skirmish, lob a tank shot or two from afar (which usually kills a dude) then transform and start my guns blazing.

Isn't mobility the entire point of transforming? It's essentially this game's "sprint."

Liberty4all

Banned
This game is ALL about using your alt mode effectively and mobility.

Two nights ago as a Scientist:

Using a jet I got behind a group of enemies that were engaging my buddies. I let out a volley of missiles then screamed into the fray transforming in the middle of them. Scientist sorta slides abit when transforming mid landing, so as I changed to robot form I slid through the enemy group and:

a. tossed up a sentry
b. tossed heal grenade over to my buddies
c. Took some quick potshots
d. Used special ability to knock some hostiles off the ridge to their doom below.

Immediately transformed back into jet mode and screamed away at top speed with a sliver of health left. This all happened in the space of 5 seconds or so.

Um yeah transforming impacts gameplay.

Teknoman

ram said:

MEH

Did you play either campaign or escalation at all?

Zapages

This game is a lot of fun... OMG Especially playing as Starscream... All the dialog and banter is pure ace. Story is very interesting as well.

PS: Just completed Decepticon Story part II.

To all new comers, play the arcs in order. They story will seem to make more sense that ways.

Teknoman

Escalation was smooth sailing.
Havent tried competitive modes yet.
Co-op got glitching when joined while playing Deception campaign. Rejoined and everything worked smooth.

Nakazato said:
anyone else having problems with the Mulity

Yeah. Stuff like TDM is completely hit and miss and even when it is good it will eventually turn to lagged shit after a couple rounds. Have to do a lot of server hopping to stay in the good games. Least that's been my experience (360 ver).

Takao

Banned
Yeah, while the game isn't bad (have only completed the Decepticon campaign so far). I remember having a lot more fun playing Armada's campaign. Nothing like running over some loser grunts.

Yesh, Starscream's voice actor is truly weak. I'd argue they should've got Dobson who did him in Cybertron to do the role, as there are times he's channeling Latta, but the voice work here was done in LA, and not Vancouver. Which begs the question, why not Tom Kenny? Hearing Johnny as Bumbles is a bit weird, lol.

So I just helped JRod beat the Autobot campaign. Gonna give myself MVP of that round because I was zipping around as Bumble Bee rezzing everyone :D

Salsa

Go it. PC version. Played for about an hour but im gonna wait for a friend who gets it tomorrow to take on the co-op campaign.

No graphics options kinda sucks, and the game doesnt look particulary pretty with "everything maxed out" (only thing that you can change is texture quality).

But it sure is fun so far, even with U3 engine usual colors of "where the fuck am i in this grey mess !?" :p

Well I finished single player and I think I'm done with it as a whole. If anyone wants to buy a copy I'm selling for $45 (this includes shipping).

dankir

FUCK>@>!@! Made it to wave 14 back to back and couldn't beat it :(

Actually made it Wave 15 and there was a fucking HUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE decepticon lurking outside.

This game is mad fun! Good stuff HighMoon

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I often wonder why no one list the fact that Vehicle weapons have their own ammo, as a bonus for transforming.

It's effectively a 3rd, class-specific gun that you always carry.

- Soldier Tanks have an AoE explosive blast, making them good to shoot into groups. They also get 180 degree insta-turn.

- Leader Trucks get the RAM ability as vehicles (which is a boost as well as an attack), and also have good, quick missles that are good for ground and air control.

- Scouts Cars get amazing machine gun fire that's quite annoying to get off of you when you're disoriented by their grenades. They also can stunt in the air... which I've never used, but I don't play the class.

- Scientiest Jets have machine guns AND missles when flying around, and said missles lock onto vehicles. So they effectively has A mix of Scout MGs and the Soldier's rocket launcher. Barrel rolls also are good at losing locks and disorienting those on the ground.

How can people be o-so-hype about picking up turrets and such in Halo and Gears, but not care about the ability to turn into a mobile, strategic variety of turrets at a moments notice?

Ammo is not infinite, keeping a wep you like can be difficult if you survive a long time, and there are not many soldiers who make use of spawning ammo points. Using all your weps to the best of their ability, along with your skills, and your class specific grenades, adds so much to this game.

mollipen

BattleMonkey said:
Outside of parts of the campagin, transformation of some classes really has little use outside of getting places faster.

You mean... like... how pretty much every Transformers series has been?

Teknoman

Takao said:
Yeah, while the game isn't bad (have only completed the Decepticon campaign so far). I remember having a lot more fun playing Armada's campaign. Nothing like running over some loser grunts.

Yesh, Starscream's voice actor is truly weak. I'd argue they should've got Dobson who did him in Cybertron to do the role, as there are times he's channeling Latta, but the voice work here was done in LA, and not Vancouver. Which begs the question, why not Tom Kenny? Hearing Johnny as Bumbles is a bit weird, lol.

Wait till you get to Autobots.

Speaking of which, im going to try and get a Decepticon campaign co-op together tomorrow morning. Medium since its my first time going through, and I want to beat that before continuing Autobots.

EDIT:

Gamespot:

The Good -

* Moving around as a vehicle, especially a jet, is fun
* Escalation provides a clever twist to the standard Horde mode
* Competitive play has unique classes and plenty of rewards to strive for.

The Bad -

* Lack of visual and gameplay variety in the campaign
* Paucity of ammunition
* Boss fights are incredibly tedious
* Friendly and enemy AI is poor
* Transformations are integrated poorly with the core action.

I still dont get the ammo complaints. Just transform and you have a whole other set of ammo. Use the weapons with situations in mind and you'll come out on top most of the time. Boss battles didnt seem that tedious either...well as far as i've reached in the game anyway. Unless it gets worse down the line, the AI didnt seem that brain dead in the first stages of the Deception campaign.

Hell they killed more enemies than I did...and never got left behind.

Of course i've never run into a glitch in a Rockstar game either, so maybe i'm just lucky.

Foxix Von

Teknoman said:
Wait till you get to Autobots.

Speaking of which, im going to try and get a Decepticon campaign co-op together tomorrow morning. Medium since its my first time going through, and I want to beat that before continuing Autobots.

EDIT:

Gamespot:

The Good -

* Moving around as a vehicle, especially a jet, is fun
* Escalation provides a clever twist to the standard Horde mode
* Competitive play has unique classes and plenty of rewards to strive for.

The Bad -

* Lack of visual and gameplay variety in the campaign
* Paucity of ammunition
* Boss fights are incredibly tedious
* Friendly and enemy AI is poor
* Transformations are integrated poorly with the core action.

I still dont get the ammo complaints. Just transform and you have a whole other set of ammo. Use the weapons with situations in mind and you'll come out on top most of the time. Boss battles didnt seem that tedious either...well as far as i've reached in the game anyway.

Yeah... there's a lot of weirdness and more than one factual error in his review. Not to mention the fact that he scored it a full point lower than the Revenge of The Fallen game.

Xater

SAB CA said:
How can people be o-so-hype about picking up turrets and such in Halo and Gears, but not care about the ability to turn into a mobile, strategic variety of turrets at a moments notice?

I'll give you an explanation. They see a lincenced game about Transformers and being soured by the movies give it only a half-hearted attempt. I can't see how it otherwise possible to get from all those 8s to 6 review. :lol

Yeah I was more than willing to write this one off after the three hour dick joke that was Transformers: RoTF but the multiplayer demo impressed the hell out of me.

Shame I'm going through some things and thus can't afford to pick this up.

Foxix - Probably been asked before but where all your avatars coming from?

Foxix Von

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I was more than willing to write this one off after the three hour dick joke that was Transformers: RoTF but the multiplayer demo impressed the hell out of me.

Shame I'm going through some things and thus can't afford to pick this up.

Foxix - Probably been asked before but where all your avatars coming from?

Actually you're the first :lol

Someone remade the opening to Lucky Star with Decepticons. I'm not even sure how I stumbled upon it but I lol'd damn hard. Anyway Keyser Soze was kind enough to turn it into a series of 6 gifs, of which only 3 I'm using, since those are the ones with Starscream :D.

A link for your enjoyment.

I've been enjoying the campaign well enough but I've just finished aerial assault and I just need to comment on how awesome that level was. I wish there was more chapters using the jets.

ram

Teknoman said:
Did you play either campaign or escalation at all?

no...i dont play games, i am only complaining about it *rolls eyes*

i didnt say, the multiplayer mode isnt good, its just not that, what i want from a transformers game. the game would have benn better, if the levels were more open (transformation) and if it werent all the time on metallic brown grey unreal 3 cybertron. also the story sucks. and if you want, half of the game doesnt do it for me.

to me its an typical 7/10 game. not bad, but not awesome either.

I think MP needs a patch on PS3, I get booted immediately joining any game mode except Escalation.

While some of the actors can't match their G1 counterparts the dialogue and banter between the characters is spot on.

Soundwave is spot on, someone should send a clip to Michael Bay.

I think the problem is (from my experience) that you need to have an emotional connection to the Transformers universe to really appreciate the campaign. Most reviewers review games based mostly on the single player experience, and in this game it seems the multiplayer (competitive and co-op) is the strongest component. Experienced alone, it feels like fan service - which is great if you're a fan, but not so great if not.

Of course, this still doesn't explain why games like Modern Warfare 2 get a pass. The campaign was garbage, but everybody still was handing out perfect scores like they were candy at a carnival. My guess is that those chosen few games established as multiplayer juggernauts (Halos, CoDs, Gears, Killzones) get their multiplayer evaluated heavily into the final score, whereas games that aren't (like this or, say, Bioshock 2) get scored based primarily on their campaign. And the campaign in this game, while decent, certainly isn't groundbreaking. It's just too bad that people are going to see scores like this and never give it a try, when it's the most interesting class-based shooter I've played in a long time.

I mean, think of the conundrum the game reviewer is in. It's easy to rate Modern Warfare 2 high based just on the multiplayer because you know there are always going to be people around to play it for months and months and months. Can you rate Transformers high based just on the multiplayer, when the odds are that in just a few months the online community will basically be dead (a la Bioshock 2)?

What I'm hoping is that the devs will continue to support the multiplayer with patches/updates/maps/etc for free. I think if they can keep the multiplayer in the public's eye, they can keep their user base up and maybe even make it grow. If the game stays as it is right now, and never changes, it's probably going to die pretty quickly.

Pimpbaa

Teknoman said:
Boss battles didnt seem that tedious either...well as far as i've reached in the game anyway. Unless it gets worse down the line,

The last boss of the game is very fucking tedious. I would dock a point if I was reviewing the game simply for that encounter.

Vyer

I played about an hour in a Gamestop. I guess I was on Cybertron? What kind of variety is there in the environments/levels?

Foxix Von

Pimpbaa said:
The last boss of the game is very fucking tedious. I would dock a point if I was reviewing the game simply for that encounter.

Really? Once you get his patterns down it's not that bad, I think the Decepticon campaign boss gave me more trouble than anything.

ram said:
i didnt say, the multiplayer mode isnt good, its just not that, what i want from a transformers game. the game would have benn better, if the levels were more open (transformation) and if it werent all the time on metallic brown grey unreal 3 cybertron.

So very true!

The multiplayer stages should be much larger and more tailored to driving / vehicle combat and aerial combat.

I was really disappointed the flying was not better implemented, especially after one of the developers said they had high ceilings for flight.

I was really hoping for something like Warhawk; only instead of getting into a vehicle - you are the fucking vehicle! :O

As is really feels like stock TPS, with tacked on transformation bits that don't add much to the game play. :/

Vyer said:
I played about an hour in a Gamestop. I guess I was on Cybertron? What kind of variety is there in the environments/levels?

Not much apparently, surely they could have had some different areas, like a melting forge, scrapyard stuff like that to diversify it a bit.

Pimpbaa

Foxix said:
Really? Once you get his patterns down it's not that bad, I think the Decepticon campaign boss gave me more trouble than anything.

I got his patterns down, but it seemed like I wasn't fast enough to avoid them plus AI teammates getting in the way or getting stuck in the environment resulting in an instant death and having to start all over. Maybe I should have picked a character that was faster. I didn't have much trouble with the Decepticon campaign boss.

Foxix Von

Pimpbaa said:
I got his patterns down, but it seemed like I wasn't fast enough to avoid them plus AI teammates getting in the way or getting stuck in the environment resulting in an instant death and having to start all over. Maybe I should have picked a character that was faster. I didn't have much trouble with the Decepticon campaign boss.

Just out of curiosity what character did you go with? I'll agree that some of the geometry was pretty easy to get hung up on but it didn't seem to get in my way too much. I went with the leader class available and just used the ram ability as a boost to get out of the way.

Zapages

Foxix said:
Gamspot review: 6.5

Edit oh wow :lol kind of funny. After reading through it some more he claims that it's never necessary to transform and that it's a cover based shooter. Did he actually even play enough to get to a boss fight?

Giant Bomb: 3/5

:( Such a weird range of review scores.

WTF?!!! I mean serious gamespot? First it was Gametrailers with their weird score. Now Gamespot and Giantbomb too.

I am to the last chapter of the decepticons and I had to transform a bunch of times... You kind have to be fast against
Zeta Prime boss battle. So you have to switch in between vehicle and robot mode.
Plus all the highways in the game where you drive fast through it...

There a whole a lot of fun in each level...

Each level is between 1 hour to 1.5 hours long... So its not bad at all. After you get a hang of it, its only 1 hour long per chapter.

PS:
The pistol is like one of the most powerful weapons in this game so far

dankir

Made it to Escalation wave 15, was doing really swell took down the big Decepticon, all 4 of us had lots of health and money to spend... and my friend loses his connection and we're booted out...

vader.jpg

Foxix Von

Zapages said:
WTF?!!! I mean serious gamespot? First it was Gametrailers with their weird score. Now Gamespot and Giantbomb too.

I am to the last chapter of the decepticons and I had to transform a bunch of times... You kind have to be fast against
Zeta Prime boss battle. So you have to switch in between vehicle and robot mode.
Plus all the highways in the game where you drive fast through it...

There a whole a lot of fun in each level...

Each level is between 1 hour to 1.5 hours long... So its not bad at all. After you get a hang of it, its only 1 hour long per chapter.

PS:
The pistol is like one of the most powerful weapons in this game so far
Yeah the reviewer gave a really quarter assed attempt. Apparently its been edited, but in the original he referred to it as battle for cybertron among other things.

Oh and still keep in mind they scored it a full point lower than revenge of the fallen.

And Dankir. That.... that just sucks.
I really need to do more escalation with GAF.

AwRy108

Really digging this game. Sure, it's not a "mind-blowing experience", but it's definitely a fun, straight-forward action game. Love all the dialog; and also like how they incorporated a bit of platforming to mix things up a bit.

Very impressed by the online mulitiplayer, especially considering that it could've just been a throw-away mode--the variety of classes combined with the balanced XP system makes it pretty exciting and addictive. I love how Optimus Prime's voice is the announcer in Conquest Mode.

Bit confused by the scores on GameSpot and Giant Bomb--didn't both these sites praise the Gears series quite a bit? The War For Cybertron sure is a lot like the Gears series, but with cooler characters and better multiplayer. Oh well, won't stop me from enjoying it.

Foxix said:
Actually you're the first :lol

Someone remade the opening to Lucky Star with Decepticons. I'm not even sure how I stumbled upon it but I lol'd damn hard. Anyway Keyser Soze was kind enough to turn it into a series of 6 gifs, of which only 3 I'm using, since those are the ones with Starscream :D.

A link for your enjoyment.

I..uh...oh god.

Top Bottom