• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Vormund

Well if there is one positive thing, its that the stores I went to were all sold out.

All of them saying it was surprisingly popular. Have to wait a couple of days for my copy *grumble*

Spike

KernelPanic said:
Soundwave is spot on, someone should send a clip to Michael Bay.

Soundwave is spot on because it is the original G1 voice actor providing the voice, Frank Welker. But, he wasn't good enough to do the Megatron voice...

Oh, and he actually did the voice for Soundwave in the Bay atrocity...

Foxix Von

Spike said:
Soundwave is spot on because it is the original G1 voice actor providing the voice, Frank Welker. But, he wasn't good enough to do the Megatron voice...

Oh wow I didn't realize he did the voice for both. Then again I also didn't realize that Peter Cullen also did Ironhide. Weird.

EDIT: In addition we're officially 20 people strong on Teletraan GAF!

Spike said:

Well according to Wiki, a fellow by the name of Isaac C. Singleton Jr. did Soundwave in WFC. It sounds spot on but I'm sure the vocoder is doing most of the work in creating the Soundwave voice.

Yazuka

Yeah, its not Frank it's Isaac C. Singleton Jr.
His name is even in the end credit in the game. But at least they know how to make a good sounding Soundwave.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Foxix said:
Gamspot review: 6.5

Edit oh wow :lol kind of funny. After reading through it some more he claims that it's never necessary to transform and that it's a cover based shooter. Did he actually even play enough to get to a boss fight?

Well, it's a review by Tom McShea. He did the Sonic Unleashed reviews for gamespot & posted about it on the SU thread here. People called him out on him being flat out factually wrong on parts of his review & he then disappeared. Reading this review, seems he's at it again.

Victrix

*beard*
Holy shit this game is awesome

Had a friend bring it over and wound up playing multi for like 4 hours

There's a few things that are kind of 'ehhhh', but the rest is great

Wish the fps was 60, but oh well. Only other major gripes: Froze my 360 twice, and the backgrounds are REALLY busy, makes it hard to spot players against the noise. Same issue with class silhouettes.

But otherwise, yeah, good stuff. It's UT + MW2 + TF2 and a few other ingredients in the mix.

Foxix said:
Interestingly enough I just realized that he also did the review for toy story 3.

He gave it a 7/10. While they are incredibly different titles and the scores aren't really applicable for comparison against one another I still find it funny. Is Toy Story 3 actually that good?

Yes, it's supposed to be quite good. I think IGN gave it an 8.

Played the first act the other night. Seems alright so far, nothing amazing. Always seem to run out of ammo a lot. Graphics are ok, do the job, though I think lacks that bit of polish. Could have looked really nice. Environments aren't very interesting so far. I'm playing as Megatron, though his voice for some reason seems a bit weak.

When I first saw how many acts there were I thought this was going to be a really short game, however, there split into 10 levels/parts and it took quite a while to do that first act, so if they all are about that then it's going to be a nice length. Haven't tried multi yet though.

I think though for a licencsed property it seems to be doing a good job and certainly the best Transformers game there's been since that PS2 one. Also, I like how it keeps track of your trophy progress when you do something towards it, though there doesn't seem to be an overall list?

ram

Katana_Strikes said:
certainly the best Transformers game there's been since that PS2 one.

ha - thats not exactly a great accomplishment :lol played a bit more and yeah, dont think its a really good game. you could easily switch the robots with generic space marines and it would been the same experiance. and since i am playing on ps3, the tearing is really terrible for such a mediocre looking game.

Reilly

Anyone who tries the game needs to at least play the first two chapters of the Autobot campaign. If you still hate the game, then yeah, it's not for you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
dankir said:
Made it to Escalation wave 15, was doing really swell took down the big Decepticon, all 4 of us had lots of health and money to spend... and my friend loses his connection and we're booted out...

vader.jpg

Yeah, I'm really nervous playing the game online due to this and I shouldn't have to be. No host migration in an online game with modes like Escalation is totally unacceptable and really the biggest actual flaw in the game.

MightyKAC

Just beat the campaign mode today.

FUCKING awesome.

The whole presentation really did feel like a G1 love-in and made the kid in me sing. After watching the abortion that was Bay-formers 2 I REALLY needed a confirmation that someone knew how to do the franchise correctly.

Bring on the sequels / DLC / whatever. Just as long as its the same team.

Slightly off topic: I just found out Transformers 3 is currently being filmed in my hometown (Milwaukee, WI). Not really sure how I feel about that. Hope its more like the first one and MUCH less like the second.

methos75

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Just beat the campaign mode today.

FUCKING awesome.

The whole presentation really did feel like a G1 love-in and made the kid in me sing. After watching the abortion that was Bay-formers 2 I REALLY needed a confirmation that someone knew how to do the franchise correctly.

Bring on the sequels / DLC / whatever. Just as long as its the same team.

Slightly off topic: I just found out Transformers 3 is currently being filmed in my hometown (Milwaukee, WI). Not really sure how I feel about that. Hope its more like the first one and MUCH less like the second.

I hope its good, it has Shockwave in it and I hate too see him messed up. And speaking of Shockwave, very surprised he isn't in this game.

Anyway, finished the game last night and I loved it, Last battle is insane.

AwRy108

MightyKAC said:

I wish it didn't exist at all.

methos75 said:
I hope its good, it has Shockwave in it and I hate too see him messed up. And speaking of Shockwave, very surprised he isn't in this game.

Anyway, finished the game last night and I loved it, Last battle is insane.

Shockwave is in the game, you had to preorder from Gamestop in america I think to get a code to unlock him.

gotee12

kyo_daikun said:
Shockwave is in the game, you had to preorder from Gamestop in america I think to get a code to unlock him.
Yep. He's a scientist class jet. I love playing as him even though scientist "armor" is made of toilet paper...

methos75

Banned
kyo_daikun said:

Too clarify I meant story wise, he is such an intergal part of the G1 Cannon that its strange he played no part in this game's campign

Hung Wei Lo

methos75 said:
Too clarify I meant story wise, he is such an intergal part of the G1 Cannon that its strange he played no part in this game's campign

here's hoping to him, and some other fine 'bots, playing an integral part in future DLC's or even a sequel!

Foxix Von

Hung Wei Lo said:
here's hoping to him, and some other fine 'bots, playing an integral part in future DLC's or even a sequel!

If they do make a sequel I hope they have an escalation mode on the planet of junk, where you're just killing wave after wave of Junkions.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Foxix said:
If they do make a sequel I hope they have an escalation mode on the planet of junk, where you're just killing wave after wave of Junkions.
It's not hard to knock 'em down. It's getting them to stay down that's the trick!

Teknoman

transformers-o.gif

Apparently the first patch is almost ready, broadcast from the online ingame ticker.

12k+ people online atm, 360 version.

Also anyone up for Deception co-op? Maybe hard mode.

TeknomanEX or just search by the teletraan tag.

SamBishop

Banned
Not that I'm worried many of you would, but for the love of all that's good and holy, do not play the DS version. I nearly snapped my DS in half. So much rage at constantly suffering from falling deaths and horrendous checkpoints.

I caved in and bought this for PC. Are there any people on here playing that version? I actually played and beat most of the campaign with a friend on his 360. It was pretty damn fun. I will agree that there is a lack of variety in enemies, and that there could have been more open areas to play around in but overall it was well done. I liked the style and the boss fights were pretty cool. I also gotta say the set pieces feel authentic Transformers. So great being chased down by Omega Supreme and watching decepticons get incinerated behind you.

It's a pretty cut and dry port btw, with almost no options and even more glaringly a lack of voice chat as far as I could tell.

It does seem to run perfectly fine on my system, but it is locked at 30 fps which is slightly annoying. Pretty sure I could run it at 60 if it would let me. Hopefully someone will figure out how to raise the framecap in the .ini file...

SalsaShark said:
Any of you playing/played SP ? is it fun ? or is it screaming for MP ?

I played through most of it. It's pretty fun, nothing amazing though. Mostly suffers from repetition because of the lack of enemy variation. I have also heard people complain about lack of cover option, but goddamn that is about the last thing I would want. I guess it would come in handy but I played the game like ultra run and gun. I feel that if you implemented a cover system it would slow it down too much and bore you to death. I just figured that if you were in trouble they wanted you to transform and GTFO isntead of using cover.

dankir

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Reached Wave 17 with my homies!!!

Anybdoy who wants to do it, here's what we did

1 - Take the autobot campaign
2 - Make sure you open the door on the right side of the map and up to that room with the overshield, don't open any other doors in that room
3 - One person has to get the med gun
4 - Everybody needs to get the scrap maker in between waves, that gun drops motherfuckers in an instant even the big big fucking decepticons go down quick and it's only 600 points!

Good luck to all

RedStep

I've spent the week playing this on and off - not feeling it 100%. I imagine that if I were a die-hard Transformers fan, I'd dig it more.

I guess the Cybertron-based story dictates it, but man are the environments boring. Metal plates on top of metal shards, forming a metal structure of some sort. Rinse and repeat. I never appreciated how varied other games are before now.

I'll keep digging through SP, but that's about it. Doesn't help that none of my friends picked it up, so no co-op or Escalation.

*Note - I'm not hating on Transformers, it's a solid shooter. Without my nostalgia glasses, though, I'm having a tough time with it.*

Teknoman

RedStep said:
I've spent the week playing this on and off - not feeling it 100%. I imagine that if I were a die-hard Transformers fan, I'd dig it more.

I guess the Cybertron-based story dictates it, but man are the environments boring. Metal plates on top of metal shards, forming a metal structure of some sort. Rinse and repeat. I never appreciated how varied other games are before now.

I'll keep digging through SP, but that's about it. Doesn't help that none of my friends picked it up, so no co-op or Escalation.

*Note - I'm not hating on Transformers, it's a solid shooter. Without my nostalgia glasses, though, I'm having a tough time with it.*

You're on NeoGAF. Just add others who have whatever version of the game you have (if you've got a 360, you can add the Teletraan tag as well). Either that or just try for hosting an escalation or co-op for randoms.

Yeah I wish I was on 360 so I could play with people. Luckily getting into matches/co-op with random people seems to be pretty easy on PC even with the small userbase.

I borrowed the game and ran through the game. I guess since I don't have the nostalgia for Transformers or a big fan of the franchise (even though I did watch it when I was younger) , I didn't really feel all the love that people have for the game. On the simple level of the game, I thought the title was okay. For a license game, it was decent. I only played the single player (haven't renewed my XBL Gold Account and not really interested in the multiplayer) and it took around 12 hours to get through the single player mode. Overall, if you're not a Transformers fan, wait for the price drop. If you are a Transformers fan, this game does well by the fans of the franchise.

JohngPR

Just played through
the prison area
in the Autobots campaign. Fucking awesome! The beginning of that level really reminded me of
the intro of Batman: Arkham Asylum, when they were transferring Joker into Arkham.

This level also had a lot of fun dialogue.

SamBishop

Banned
JohngPR said:
Just played through
the prison area
in the Autobots campaign. Fucking awesome! The beginning of that level really reminded me of
the intro of Batman: Arkham Asylum, when they were transferring Joker into Arkham.

This level also had a lot of fun dialogue.

Yeah, you can't really appreciate how decent the single-player campaign is until you've slogged through the Decepticon stuff first. Everything from the chatter to the environments in the Autobot campaign is an order of magnitude more enjoyable. Plus, we get to see Kaon! Wooooooo!

If nothing else, this game does justice to the TF legacy in ways the live-action movies never, ever, eeeeever, will, and for that I thank High Moon.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Random thought: for all the hate the live action movies get, I realized we have Bayformers to thank for one stylistic aspect of this game - the animation of the characters. While the specific look of the Transformers in the Bay films may be too chaotic and busy, they are trademarked by their aliveness - all the tiny parts in motion, and becoming a part of their body language. Also, the way they transform, (and a variety in exactly how it happens; transform sequences are situational and directional.)

That at least, benefited this game's art direction. (The games literally based on the movies would be expected to adopt Bayformer animation.) Makes the characters have more of a signature style and not seem like random giant mechs. Since, after all, cybertronians are living creatures and not inert machines even in vehicle mode. (Something else the movies brought to the table; small animation cues that remind you the vehicles are merely shells with internal workings nothing like their exterior suggests.)

Liberty4all

Banned
Some thoughts about the classes in multiplayer:

Scientist -- Love this class. It's abit weak thanks to paper thin armour but you can get some crazy heal combo's going with Drain, Repair turret and Energon Grenade. Scientist can be played in different ways ... you can go all out medic, or play as sneaky asshole spy with disguise.

I love the mobility in this class ... hands down the easiest class to get around with, and VERY good on certain maps (like the Orbital one).

Leader -- My least favorite class. I'm still playing around with it but to me the buffs like Rally Cry are very meh. Best benefit is the extra armour/life pts. I'm not very far in this class though, maybe the abilities get better down the road.

Scout -- Having alot of fun with the scout. The car form is very fast, and the machine guns on it tear bots up. Love the cloaking ability. Scout seems like the most versatile of all four classes ... a good balance of armour, speed and abilities.

Solider -- This is the class I play when I'm not in the mood for finesse and just feel like opening up on somebody with a minigun. Solider has a crapload of health, the main gun when in tank form is deadly, and the Soldier's abilities can do some serious damage. Lots of fun.

Overall I think Scientist is my favorite class ... but honestly I'm finding myself playing all the classes pretty evenly (with the exception of leader) ... All of them are alot of fun, and they play differently enough it changes up the experience totally when switching classes.

Jinaar

I am all over the MP at the moment. Conquest is the best for leveling up and killing so much scrap metal.

SCOUT Level 10: Started with the scout first and usually had a decent K/D ratio. Usually 1:1. I felt I was ok but couldn't survive the best. Obviously :) fun class

LEADER Level 10: My favorite class to blow my ability wad all over the place. Nothing like running into 3 guys, throwing down the ball of slowness, into a battle cry, then dropping the mine as I go into firing and slashing. My K:D was redonkulous as the Leader class. Easily 3:1 or 4:1 most times.

SOLDIER Level 7: hmmmmm so far not enjoying it. The chain gun is good but takes forever and a day to turn up. As well the same with the Whirlwind. Such a slow start up. The armor for the Soldier is terrible. I feel I explode quite quickly as a Soldier even though I have so much health.

SCIENTIST Level 0: Haven't tried, but I have a feeling this class is going to be so much fun to medic run with. I love playing support types, as in Bad Company 2 or even Shadowrun, with all the quick ressing and healing. I hope to be leaving the best for last when I hit level 10 with the Soldier tonight and then play the Scientist.

The game is grand in so many ways. Its Quake/Unreal Tournament quickness with transforming and team work. I never thought I would love the MP so.

JohngPR

SamBishop said:
Yeah, you can't really appreciate how decent the single-player campaign is until you've slogged through the Decepticon stuff first. Everything from the chatter to the environments in the Autobot campaign is an order of magnitude more enjoyable. Plus, we get to see Kaon! Wooooooo!

If nothing else, this game does justice to the TF legacy in ways the live-action movies never, ever, eeeeever, will, and for that I thank High Moon.

My thoughts exactly. Not to defend the Decepticons, but I think a lot of that had to do with the nature of the Decepticons themselves. It'd probably be weird to hear the Decepticons have comradeship amongst each other, and hear them joking around too much.

Foxix Von

JohngPR said:
My thoughts exactly. Not to defend the Decepticons, but I think a lot of that had to do with the nature of the Decepticons themselves. It'd probably be weird to hear the Decepticons have comradeship amongst each other, and hear them joking around too much.

I think I actually like the Decepticon banter more :lol Megatron just seems to have a bottomless bag of "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" However on the whole I think the Autobots definitely had the more entertaining & interesting scenarios.

Foxix said:
I think I actually like the Decepticon banter more :lol Megatron just seems to have a bottomless bag of "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" However on the whole I think the Autobots definitely had the more entertaining & interesting scenarios.

I beat the Decepticon campaign and they nailed it. Although most of it consists of Megatron telling others to STFU and putting Starscream in his place.

Gets a bit boring after a while but very authentic.

Just started the autobot campaign and it's on another level.

Even Prime saying "Autobots ! Transform and roll out !" and litererally having every Autobot in the viscinity transform and drive off is awesome :D

Started doing some MP and it's fun. I don't get the ammo stations on Escalation though, are they on cooldown ? I tend to be stuck between waves on low health and ammo a lot and I can't get more as none of them work. Feel free to add me if you're on PS3, all I see is 360 gamers here for the most part.

Top Bottom