• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Palmer_v1

PS3 MP Impressions:

Couldn't connect initially; tried for 30 minutes or so. I ended up moving to the campaign to make sure it wasn't MY internet that was messed up. When I went back to MP an hour later, I connected right away and had no further problems. Played for 6 hours, give or take, all TDM.

I only played as the scout class, and it was a lot of fun. I liked the highly mobile nature of the class, and once I had the map layouts down, I was able to flank pretty easily. I got up to level 10 before I stopped for the night.

The default control scheme is aggravating because it puts the transform button on your left thumbstick, which I press accidentally a lot. The alternate control scheme maps it to Triangle, which is much better IMO.

Other than using it to get around quickly, I didn't feel like the vehicle form of the scout offered much for combat. It's just got a pretty weak machine gun. The other classes seem to have more useful vehicle forms.

I never experienced lag, but there were a few times I saw the frame rate drop drastically. Overall though, it runs really smooth.

I wish the gunfire felt like it had more impact. When scoped and shooting at people long range, I have trouble telling if I'm even hitting them until they actually die.

The HUD could be better. There are a crap ton of little announcements that pop up as you fight, and it can be distracting in the middle of combat. For example, I might stab someone from stealth and get a message for it being a back-stab, one for the kill itself, one for it being a melee attack, one to announce a kill-streak, one to announce a humiliation, one for being under the effects of a war cry, and one for them being blinded when they died. I would like an option to turn off everything but the actual +50 kill message. On the other hand, your active abilities which are on cool downs barely do anything to announce when they are usable again.

The kill-streaks seem pretty tame overall, but I think it's a good thing, as it keeps the focus on actual combat and gives less incentive to camp in a corner for a kill-streak.

The lack of map variety is going to get old pretty fast. Every level is filled with the same metallic surfaces everywhere you look.

Spawn system is good so far. I never once spawned into gunfire or any other bullshit.

I couldn't find a way to switch which shoulder I was looking over. Am I missing something obvious?

Scientists annoy me. They always seem to drop a sentry and run away at any hint of danger. They also like to lurk above doors in the open areas hoping to ambush people. They're so weak though, that they really just seem like nuisances, rather than actual threats. This might be tinged by my scout-only experience so far. I rarely traveled in the wide open areas without being stealthed at the time. I think the biggest threat to my scout style was soldiers with the EMP shotgun, and the whirlwind melee in enclosed areas.

I barely saw any Leaders being played. It was usually an even mix of the other 3 classes, though.

If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them.

Edit: I also really liked the customization system, though I wish you had some variety of grenades to pick from, rather than being stuck with one type forever.

ElRenoRaven

Grrr. The more I play the more pissed off the shitty netcoding is getting me.

Half the games lag to all hell. Is it too hard to ask for it to pick the best connection to host????

There had better damn well be a patch to fix this shit.

X-Frame

PsychoRaven said:
Grrr. The more I play the more pissed off the shitty netcoding is getting me.

Half the games lag to all hell. Is it too hard to ask for it to pick the best connection to host????

There had better damn well be a patch to fix this shit.

Same. The stability and performance of the online MP is definitely sub-par. I assume we'll be getting plenty of patches.

Teknoman

Sill4 said:
Yes it is. What is the highest wave you people have gotten to?

Wave 9 or 10 as autobots, 7 as decepticons. 3 people from GAF and 1 random.

Stopped playing autobots campaign for awhile, but the game really seems to shine in co-op with 3 human players. Can see myself putting alot in escalation, especially since you can play with friends or randoms.

And like the OP said, if you can play the game with a custom soundtrack, make it the 80s animated movie soundtrack, especially the instrumental battle/event tracks by Vince DiCola. Of course make sure to balance the volume with the sound effects :lol

EDIT: Jets are really fun to control.

Danny-Boy

Just started the 1st Decepticon campaign and have to say this is a dream come true for me being a huge G1 fan. Absolutely loving it.

But damn that Megatron voice is annoying. I HATE the movies with a passion and that shitty voice only reminds me of the Michael Bay fuck ups. Why couldn't they use Frank Welker's G1 Megatron voice? sounds like he is being used for Soundwave.

Teknoman

Soundwave's voice here is really good, but yeah I wish Megatron had more in common with his original voice. Starscream too. Everyone else is cool though. Bosch actually fits Bumblebee imo.

Also Ro-bros :lol

Teknoman

Scalpel Knight said:
I'm looking for people to play this with co-op/multiplayer. Feel free to add me on XBL if any of you like :D

GT: Scalpel Knight

Make sure you add the Teletraan GAF XBL tag as well. That way you can invite people through one tag too.

Foxix Von

Teknoman said:
Wave 9 or 10 as autobots, 7 as decepticons. 3 people from GAF and 1 random.

Stopped playing autobots campaign for awhile, but the game really seems to shine in co-op with 3 human players. Can see myself putting alot in escalation, especially since you can play with friends or randoms.

And like the OP said, if you can play the game with a custom soundtrack, make it the 80s animated movie soundtrack, especially the instrumental battle/event tracks by Vince DiCola. Of course make sure to balance the volume with the sound effects :lol

EDIT: Jets are really fun to control.

Escalation is phenomenal. I mean whoa, I can't believe how well we did. But actually the only gaffers playing escalation were us :lol It'd be great to get a real GAF survival game going though. The other guy that joined in was, I think, some dude I met in the Reach beta. Sorry about all the spoilers and crap.

Thanks to him though, I know about those doors which I think I would have missed. I really like the fact that each individual Transformer has their own respective abilities, it really breathes so much life and extra strategy into things. Not to mention just how many extra branching paths that you can unlock. Dang, I really hope he's right that they're planning more free DLC *crosses fingers*

Great fun in campaign too, the next mission is awesome.

So I'm not one to really rage over review scores but did anyone else watch Gametrailers' review? The whole review was incredibly positive for the most part and still only ended up with a 7.7. Didn't make a whole lot of sense.

HOLY FUCK. I'm playing on normal with a buddy and we cannot beat the last part of
the trypticon fight.

We've must of tried it at least 15 or so times, wtf are we doing wrong?

Axiom said:
Game just updated for me and I was FINALLY able to get my Jazz and Shockwave on on the transformersgame.eu site.

Wonder what the update did, seems a little early.

Have had not one PS3 issue in the days I've had it.

How did you manage to get both of them? Did you order 2 copies?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Danny-Boy said:
Why couldn't they use Frank Welker's G1 Megatron voice?

Frank Welker has retired from doing the Megatron voice, as it hurts his throat too badly now. They have yet to find a suitable replacement, as Weaving, Tatasciore and most other Megatrons tend to just put on a growly yell and call it a day. David Kaye's Beast Wars Megatron is excellent, but a very different character from the G1 Megatron in most respects. Welker's voice for Megatron was distinctive and, like Chris Latta's Starscream, will most likely never been sufficiently replicated or replaced.

Foxix Von

Barrow Roll said:
So I'm not one to really rage over review scores but did anyone else watch Gametrailers' review? The whole review was incredibly positive for the most part and still only ended up with a 7.7. Didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Just watched it. WEIRD.

One of the most positive reviews I've seen for the game, and then a score that made me do a double take. I don't agree with the score or their view on the visuals of the game.

MattKeil said:
Frank Welker has retired from doing the Megatron voice, as it hurts his throat too badly now.

Where did you hear that? He actually auditioned for Megatron in War for Cybertron but was turned down because "his voice didn't fit this interpretation of the character."

Also imdb has him listed as voicing Megatron for the upcoming Transformers: Prime. I don't know anything about this show or if imdb is accurate about his involvement in it though.

Chris Latta's Starscream, will most likely never been sufficiently replicated or replaced.

Whoever is doing Starscream's voice on those DRSMOOV youtube fan videos is pretty close to Latta. His Cobra Commander is practically spot on too.

Square Triangle said:
HOLY FUCK. I'm playing on normal with a buddy and we cannot beat the last part of
the trypticon fight.

We've must of tried it at least 15 or so times, wtf are we doing wrong?

Which version? if its the ps3, I'll come in and help out. I beat that fight yesterday

MattKeil said:
Frank Welker has retired from doing the Megatron voice, as it hurts his throat too badly now. They have yet to find a suitable replacement, as Weaving, Tatasciore and most other Megatrons tend to just put on a growly yell and call it a day. David Kaye's Beast Wars Megatron is excellent, but a very different character from the G1 Megatron in most respects. Welker's voice for Megatron was distinctive and, like Chris Latta's Starscream, will most likely never been sufficiently replicated or replaced.
The truth, RIP.

Salsa

Barrow Roll said:
So I'm not one to really rage over review scores but did anyone else watch Gametrailers' review?

DAMN YOU GT

I was trying to avoid the credits, i knew there was a certain song from a certain someone atached to it, but i really didnt wanna hear it before finishing the game. Guess whats the first thing i hear when i watch GT`s review :(

Tokubetsu

MattKeil said:

Random but I always liked the way Megatron sounded in the TF movie 1 game ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYUc5IIvvg

Don't know who did his voice but it might just be the delivery of the final line.

BattleMonkey said:
While I'm really starting to dig the MP, the lag is just atrocious and killing it.

Lag hasn't been a huge issue for me, but the past three MP games have lost connection half-way through. :(

Loving the SP though, it takes me right back to the 80s. :D

Foxix Von

Gillian Seed said:
Anyone want to run through some campaign levels with me? I am just starting Chapter IV on normal. GT: Gillian Seed X

I'd advise inviting some people from Teletraan GAF metatag. :p

Dead said:
I might go pick this up in a moment

Any word on how long the SP campaign is?

12 hours or so depending on the difficulty. 10 chapters all in all with each taking me well over an hour on hard.

Reilly

wow

The first level of the Autobot campaign is amazing. Completely validates the creation of the game. Quite seriously, the best Transformers experience I've had in decades. :D

dankir

Man this game is petty hard on hard difficulty, I'm actually surprised at how difficult it is.

And Escalation is crazy I've gone 4 - 5 attemps with 4 people and the best we could do is Wave 6 :S

JohngPR

It's a shame that some of you guys are having MP issues. I've played a few hours of MP and have had zero problems *knocks on wood* I really love the mutliplayer in this game.

with practice I think the scientist certainly has its moments. my earlier assessment was that the class almost doesn't have a practical function because it's so incredibly fragile.

really, it's a roll of the dice. if you play scientist, have great reflexes and play very smart, you will sometimes do very well. other times you'll still just keep blowing up. face it, you're made of glass. there's a certain amount of it being a crapshoot. you'll literally be killed in 1 shot at times by scouts and instagibbed by soldiers.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I find the scientist is allot better on objective gametypes.

Sadist

People will call me crazy, but I actually like Tom Kenny's voice of Starscream in Animated :D

Just forget he's Spongebob.

PS3 issues?

I have no probs joining games coop or mp - but when my friend creates a co op game - I get timed out. He sees my name connect in his lobby - but I drop. He can't join mine, either. But I have 0 issues when joining random games?

His internet connection? The game? PSN?

Xater

Ninja-Matic said:
PS3 issues?

I have no probs joining games coop or mp - but when my friend creates a co op game - I get timed out. He sees my name connect in his lobby - but I drop. He can't join mine, either. But I have 0 issues when joining random games?

Some kind of NAT problem probably.

I just saw that German Gamepro rated the game: 87%

My copy wasn't in the mail today. :( Maybe tomorrow.

Ninja-Matic said:
PS3 issues?

As Xater said more than likely a NAT issue as similar stuff happens on COD.

Eurogamer gave the game 6/10, the reviewer was just saying that it was too like halo and gears from what I read of it, still looking forward to it tho thanks to the good impressions being given in here.

It's going back to Gamefly.

Thoroughly unimpressed. Also dislike the controller presets, if you're heavy handed get ready to transform or switch weapons at the wrong god damn time.

Really wish the vehicle modes were better thought out and incorporated into the game.

Also would have been nice if they worked with IDW Publishing on the character designs.

Zapages

I have the PC version... I was thinking of getting for the PS3, but I said nah... Let's buy the PC version because Mouse + Keyboard = bliss for this shooter and this is true. I can't play shooters with controller for some odd reason.

Vehicle modes seem a bit sluggish IMHO. The game is good... Its nice to get a good take on the Transformer universe.

The graphics are nice on my laptop. The game is very atmospheric. :)

Teknoman

The Take Out Bandit said:
It's going back to Gamefly.

Thoroughly unimpressed. Also dislike the controller presets, if you're heavy handed get ready to transform or switch weapons at the wrong god damn time.

Really wish the vehicle modes were better thought out and incorporated into the game.

Also would have been nice if they worked with IDW Publishing on the character designs.

Should have used Scheme B.

Foxix Von

kyo_daikun said:
As Xater said more than likely a NAT issue as similar stuff happens on COD.

Eurogamer gave the game 6/10, the reviewer was just saying that it was too like halo and gears from what I read of it, still looking forward to it tho thanks to the good impressions being given in here.

Yikes and I thought 7/10 was low-balling it. I didn't think anyone would rank it that low, especially considering that the PS2 game was given an 8/10.

Edit: We need like a thread title change or something... Something like: "Transformers War For Cybertron |OT| This one touched my inner child." anything to signify it's quality over earlier incarnations of the franchise.

Top Bottom