• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BattleMonkey said:
And with almost every other company making money off dlc, why would they want to emulate valve? These games are short lived, they know in this environment of console gamers that they migrate to new games in a few months, they need to make extra money off their investments and dlc is the rage now. Few companies have the dedication that the fans have for Valve products.

How does playing TF2 for three years vs. 3 weeks make them more money?

Unless you're suggesting that the sustainability of the community would attract new players.

We both know that a constant stream of high quality free content would actually keep their attention. People migrate from game to game because it gets stagnant. People wouldn't be playing TF2 for years and years if there was no new content. It's not like they still play TF2 just because it's on PC.

The issue is that Kotick and Activision are using the "soap" model to sell the product. A widget is a widget is a widget. Sell multiple units any way you can. No one cares about the sustainability or community of soap.

I'm not saying WfC is a shitty game. Quite the opposite. It's awesome. AWESOME. It would be even more awesome if Activision knew about this concept called "goodwill", wherein the company fosters the community with content out of the goodness of their heart (but also in the interest of maintaining the community).

We both know that that sounds like a shitty plan to Kotick, any way you slice it. DLC is monetized not because it has to be, but because it CAN be. Console gamers don't know any better, and that's just the way Kotick likes it.

X-Frame said:
Now that I just bought one of the new MacBook Pro's, do you recommend I buy TF2?

I should have no problem playing it (it would be my first "PC" game too).

ABSOLUTELY. I play TF2 on my macbook pro from 3 years ago. PLAY PLAY PLAY

thetrin said:

Ah, you're using the "Tim Schafer" argument for why Activision sucks. How original of you.

Since you seem to love TF2 so much, let's look at it a little closer. Valve gives away content for free for the following reasons:

• They own the distribution infrastructure, so they can give away as much content as they want without having to pay any distribution fees. This is not the case on XBox Live - content cannot be free on XBL unless the publisher is willing to pay MS a fee. That's never going to happen.

And before you bring up Burnout Paradise, that was an exception in which Microsoft was strong-armed into breaking their rules. Criterion was very clear that PS3 was the lead SKU and that they were going to give away a year of free updates. They were willing to not even distribute the game on 360 if MS wouldn't agree. So rather than call Criterion's bluff, MS agreed to the year of free updates to keep console parity.

And then it was all followed up with paid DLC anyway. C'est la vie.
  • Each TF2 update also brings in new customers, both to buy new copies of TF2, and also to Steam in general. The more Steam traffic Valve gets, the more ads they get to display to customers, and the more sales they make on other games.

They don't do it for the sake of the community. They do it because it brings customers with money in their pockets through their front door. But they do a fantastic job of spinning it such that it makes you feel like an important person who deserves free stuff as much as possible. And if it keeps you buying Valve games in the future over other games, that's a win for them as well. But It's a business model that only works if you don't have to pay fees for distribution.

You want proof? TF2 on the 360 never got a single update - where was the goodness of Valve there? Oh - that's right. It would have cost them more money, which they didn't want to spend. Huh. Maybe they aren't the charitable angels that you seem to worship.

Now that doesn't mean that I think this DLC pack is worth it - quite the contrary. Four new maps and five character models, all of which were likely part of the original game and were cut out to try to make more money within a handful of weeks after launch? No - that's pretty shitty, and I refused to buy it. But the idea that it is an inherently evil thing to charge for extra content in console land is just plain wrong. You have to go on a case by case basis.

Playing as leader at the moment, pretty good class, special abilities are rubbish tho, those ball mines dont do a thing!

Better than scout anyway.

X-Frame

kyo_daikun said:
Playing as leader at the moment, pretty good class, special abilities are rubbish tho, those ball mines dont do a thing!

Better than scout anyway.
Err? You mean the thermo mines that'll automatically seek targets for you? Where all you need to do is poop one out and it'll smash into the nearest enemy (which is usually 1-hit kill on Scientists).

And WarCry is bad? The Barrier?

X-Frame said:
Err? You mean the thermo mines that'll automatically seek targets for you? Where all you need to do is poop one out and it'll smash into the nearest enemy (which is usually 1-hit kill on Scientists).

And WarCry is bad? The Barrier?

I meant moleculon bomb, its hard to hit anyone with it, the barrier is helpful in some maps, warcry is what it is, I just prefer the abilities of the other classes.

X-Frame

kyo_daikun said:
I meant moleculon bomb, its hard to hit anyone with it, the barrier is helpful in some maps, warcry is what it is, I just prefer the abilities of the other classes.
Gotcha. Well the Molecular Bomb isn't meant to actually hit people with - it's an area of effect ability that slows enemies in it's radius. You can also have it strip health in a radius of enemies too with upgrades.

Pretty helpful in games where there's zones like Conquest or Power Struggle.

X-Frame said:
Gotcha. Well the Molecular Bomb isn't meant to actually hit people with - it's an area of effect ability that slows enemies in it's radius. You can also have it strip health in a radius of enemies too with upgrades.

Pretty helpful in games where there's zones like Conquest or Power Struggle.

Yeah, they're pretty easy to see and destroy too, I will try using them more later.

X-Frame

kyo_daikun said:
Anyone got tips for soldier?

Getting owned by scouts every 5 seconds :(
X12 Scrapmaker.

Keep your distance from other enemies and just rip them to shreds. Throw an ammo beacon down for a damage boost.

And if they get in close, Whirlwind them to hell. ;)

Is it me or are all the games were people are using microphones really laggy?

Also map load error is getting annoying, why try and add me to a game thats using a map I dont have?

kyo_daikun said:
Anyone got tips for soldier?

Getting owned by scouts every 5 seconds :(

Well, the scout is the anti-soldier, to be fair. Hanging back and popping people with the X12 will only get you so far. You need to try to stick with your team. Try not to make yourself into a target for the scout; don't run around solo too much. Learn to spot the distortions of a cloaked scout, and the moment he reveals himself, your reaction should be to pop whirlwind (if you can).

The soldier is the most difficult class for me too, so I feel your pain. I feel that he's an incredibly valuable asset to the team, but his team needs to be supporting him for him to consistently succeed. That said, I found level 17 to be a tipping point; you get the heavy weapons perk there and it makes the x12 even stronger and turns the shotgun into a close range death machine.

Dave1988

So I bought this game for the Triple yesterday. Moving through the Decepticon campaign right now and the game is quite enjoyable. I have yet to try the multiplayer portion of the game but I have a question: do we have a chatroom set up for this game so that fellow gaffers can meet up and play together?

aparisi2274

Just finished the game and I loved it!

I thought the little nods to the '86 movie was fantastic and really made me want to watch it again :D

The one thing I didnt like that much was with the AI during SP campaign. I would try to move around the screen to a potential hiding spot and run into either OP or Bumblebee and they wouldn't move, and I got destroyed...

So now I wonder if they go ahead and make TF2, will
it take place on earth and in their G1 forms??
God do I hope so!!!!

Also, how awesome are the ending credits..

Im surprised how much I levelled up during the double XP weekend, reached max for soldier, leader, scientist and level 23 for scout.

Tried escalation, got killed on wave 15 tho :(

kyo_daikun said:
Im surprised how much I levelled up during the double XP weekend, reached max for soldier, leader, scientist and level 23 for scout.

Tried escalation, got killed on wave 15 tho :(

I wish I could have played more than I did. I got maybe five games in? I brought my Soldier from 20 to 22 and that was it. :(

By the way - does anyone know how much XP you need for max level?

dankir

Finally hit prime mode today, I realized how awful the servers can be when you have an xbox live party of 4 and up. I think I wasted at least 3 hours just getting kicked out of games, host time outs this entire weekend.

In any case I managed to get 19 levels done over all my classes to get to prime mode, it was a chore but goddamn I love this game.

Well at least thats over with.

divisionbyzorro said:
I wish I could have played more than I did. I got maybe five games in? I brought my Soldier from 20 to 22 and that was it. :(

By the way - does anyone know how much XP you need for max level?

I think it's like 335 k?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
aparisi2274 said:
Just finished the game and I loved it!

I thought the little nods to the '86 movie was fantastic and really made me want to watch it again :D

The one thing I didnt like that much was with the AI during SP campaign. I would try to move around the screen to a potential hiding spot and run into either OP or Bumblebee and they wouldn't move, and I got destroyed...

So now I wonder if they go ahead and make TF2, will
it take place on earth and in their G1 forms??
God do I hope so!!!!

Also, how awesome are the ending credits..

My biggest problem with the AI was their total uselessness. If you get downed near an AI member, they won't even attempt to revive you. It's really irritating.

dankir said:
Finally hit prime mode today, I realized how awful the servers can be when you have an xbox live party of 4 and up. I think I wasted at least 3 hours just getting kicked out of games, host time outs this entire weekend.

In any case I managed to get 19 levels done over all my classes to get to prime mode, it was a chore but goddamn I love this game.

Well at least thats over with.

For every one who hit the level cap, what's your time played? I'm at 1d 6h, and I'm curious how much more I have to go (16-15-15-23). Am I on pace, or am I playing too slow? I know I play well (I have a 1.8 KDR), but I'm wondering if I need to push harder to get on pace.

divisionbyzorro said:
For every one who hit the level cap, what's your time played? I'm at 1d 6h, and I'm curious how much more I have to go (16-15-15-23). Am I on pace, or am I playing too slow? I know I play well (I have a 1.8 KDR), but I'm wondering if I need to push harder to get on pace.

Max level is 355k, when you hit level 20 you have 200k so just over halfway :(

I will check my playtime when I get home, I abused the hell out of double xp weekend (did 45 levels), think I joined a few boosting parties as well, on orbital they kept driving between A anc C so I followed suit, got 30k a match which pushed me up pretty fast.

I've seen quite a few reports that the PS3 versions online servers died about 4 hours before double XP ended last night so lots of people are angry about it (I was asleep at the time :lol ) hopefully they will put it up for another day to make up for it and help me get the last 55k I need to max out.

Took me just over 2 days (52hrs) to get to Prime Mode, though I did that with only 1 double XP weekend, so if you can grab a few of those you'll do it much quicker. But I'd say up to 2 days max if you're decent enough at the game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I burned the midnight oil to Max all my classes

First Double XP weekend, I started 1 day late, my 4 classes were as follow:

Scout 10, Scientist 0, Soldier 0, Leader 0

After XP weekend:

Scout 20, Scientist 10, Soldier 10, Leader 10

This weekend I did so many fucking hours, it's not even funny, I need video game rehab

On Friday night I started playing @11pm till 7am Saturday (minor breaks), my result:

Scout 20, Scientist 20, Soldier 15, Leader 15

Saturday I did a huge chunk, around 15+ hours, results:

Scout 20, Scientist 25, Soldier 20, Leader 20

I did not sleep Saturday, so from 7pm on Saturday till 7pm on Sunday I was running on fumes to Max my chars, and finally reached it, result: All classes MAX, Prime mode, all classes 0 again

I was getting 12,000+ every round from conquest

Power Struggle, around 8,000-10,000

Got thrown into some run around the flags, 1 game hit 15,000+ (best of the weekend)

Scout is best with Cloak and Dash, you stay cloaked, melee from side or back, then 2 shots from shotty = dead bot any class
(I used the more cloaking abilities (longer duration + more damage) + weapon stabilizer)

Scientist is best with Shockwave + Sentry, best is to fly directly into enemy, but 2 seconds before landing, Transform, don't do it to early or too late = dead Scientist, you will glide right next to the enemy, Melee > Shockwave > Sentry > Gun (if soldier/leader) in that order, got so many kills
(Use the perks for shockwave + sentry boosts)

Soldier I used Hover and Whirlwind, I didn't use the abilities that much, Scrapmaker = godly, + if you know where the Overshields are lol, carnage ensues
(I used perks for more damage + accuracy from gun and less damage from explosions)

Leader has the best 1-2 combo, Moleculon Bomb and Warcry
This class can overpower 2-3 soldiers easily, just run in, warcry, drop the moleculon bomb, drop mine, go to work, bodies drop
(I used basic perks, Warcry effect last longer, better accuracy, and damage less from explosions)

^

This is for Conquest & Power Struggle
(Remember Double XP weekend was involved in this, so I was racking up the points, if regular matches might get you 3-5k xp, but in double xp, I was getting 12k+ per match so I skewed a little higher than normal)

1 thing I really hated from this game was always forcing you into lobbies with the new map pack, rather than just keep putting me into regular lobbies, it went out of it's way to throw me in them, like forcing me to but the damned thing
Other multiplayers game have done this, but it's sad that they force you to buy DLC

The netcode was f'n horrible, I think I spent roughly half a days worth of shitty hosts, host quits, lag, super lag, input delays, then forced DLC lobbies
(so it took the fun out of the game for me)

I love Transformers, they did a good job to a degree, but after taking off the nostalgia glasses, the game had a lot of downside to upside

Didn't help no advertising for this f'n game, the max people I saw at how many are playing was 5,000 =/

I mean fucking Bond 007 Quantum of Solace has a better community playing, and that fucking game is old, every room I went to in there was packed

It would take 1-3 minutes for the game to find people just to start a match
(4 people to start)

Oh wells enjoyed it for what it was, all multiplayers trophies gotten, now single player trophies left = 45th platinum ^_^

Some friends and I were trying to get into this weekend, and between lag, the host quitting, and not having the map pack, we just said fuck it. We tried a bit later, got one game in, and quit due to the same problems. : (

335k for max level? Holy shit!

Let's say that you average between 2k and 4k per Conquest match. 335k divided by 3k means that you'll need to play 112 games to max out a character. Four characters makes 448 games. The time limit for a Conquest game is 10 minutes, but most games end before this. However, it does take time for the matchmaking system to do its work, so let's just say 10 minutes per match. 448 games at 10 minutes apiece is 3.1 days of playtime, not counting any double XP weekend work.

That's a ridiculous amount of time!

The more I played and the better I got, I must have been averaging 5k (class depending). I think the highest XP in a match I got was 8k with some bad/late start games 1-2k. (Talking non 2x XP here)

Probably best not to think about it too much as it will drag for you.

I'm pleased I finished up before the new map pack if it chucks you into playlists with them and you don't have it. In an already hiccupy (is that a word) net code, this could have been the iceing on the cake.

Katana_Strikes said:
The more I played and the better I got, I must have been averaging 5k (class depending). I think the highest XP in a match I got was 8k with some bad/late start games 1-2k. (Talking non 2x XP here)

Probably best not to think about it too much as it will drag for you.

I'm pleased I finished up before the new map pack if it chucks you into playlists with them and you don't have it. In an already hiccupy (is that a word) net code, this could have been the iceing on the cake.

Yeah, assuming a 10 minute match, your final playtimes will be:

@ 3k match average: 3 days 2 hours
@ 4k match average: 2 days 7 hours
@ 5k match average: 1 day 21 hours

Don't get me wrong: I love this game and don't mind putting the time in. I'm just worried about finishing before Halo Reach! :lol

Not counting double XP I think the best I got in a round was 11k

I already miss the double XP, 700XP for killing an enemy while cloaked and marking them was a great way to level up

dankir

WickedLaharl said:
conquest boosting games are pretty awesome to stumble upon especially if you don't want to join in on the boosting. :lol

LOL tell me about it, I had to gain ten levels on my scientist and one game I got 17,000 points because the fuckers were sitting around boosting and I was killing it. Went 38 - 3 or something. Got all this hate mail after lol

"Retard, stop killing just grab the conquest points"

No you fucker I want the conquest points and the kills so I get even more.

So whats everyone's thoughts on the DLC? I love the game, and know that getting it would keep me from getting kicked out of some lobbies (I hate thinking like that). Is it good stuff?

I love how every other game when your trying to join someone and its not working just quickly comes up with an error, this game takes 5 minutes and then just crashes your ps3...

Ugh - the last few levels really are a grind! :lol But I have a 23.5 soldier - the end is in sight!

I discovered what could easily be the most useless perk for the soldier: the Ion Displacer Turret. From the description and icon I thought it would drop an auto-sentry like what the Scientist places. Nope! It drops one of those turret guns from the campaign that you can pick up and run around with. Well, more like amble around with. When you're already the least mobile class in the game, slowing your movement speed to a crawl is hardly ideal, especially considering that the gun isn't even that powerful!

I immediately went back to my go-to Soldier class:

• EMP Shotgun
  • X12 Scrapmaker
  • Ammo Beacon
  • Energon Sling
  • Heavy Weapons
  • Flak Armor
  • Explosive Capacitor

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TheApatheticOne said:
So whats everyone's thoughts on the DLC? I love the game, and know that getting it would keep me from getting kicked out of some lobbies (I hate thinking like that). Is it good stuff?

1. The new characters and their chassis are really good designs; some of the best in the entire game. Shockwave is the best looking Decepticon scientist IMO.

2. The new Escalation maps are very good, with Forsaken being real nice thematically; it's an underground Cybertron's core them, with like a Tomb of the Primes-ish motif and area inside it. Very cool.

3. The two new multiplayer maps are good, and seem to have a different layout style from the existing maps so their existence is justified.

Basically, it's a map pack. However, given that the game in default form is just a /little/ bit starved for content - only two Escalation maps is not enough - it feels a little necessary to flesh things out. I'd be happy now without any more add-ons and DLC.

If you play multiplayer a lot, it's worth it. Especially if you play Escalation a lot.

divisionbyzorro said:
I discovered what could easily be the most useless perk for the soldier: the Ion Displacer Turret. From the description and icon I thought it would drop an auto-sentry like what the Scientist places. Nope! It drops one of those turret guns from the campaign that you can pick up and run around with. Well, more like amble around with. When you're already the least mobile class in the game, slowing your movement speed to a crawl is hardly ideal, especially considering that the gun isn't even that powerful!

Loads of people were using these ion guns yesterday, I kept killing them with my scout, stealing the gun then camping the spawn while invisible, wait for a a few enemies to turn up to take the point then letting rip! (easiest kills ever)

Im all done now, got to wave 17 of escalation yesterday as well with a good team.

Ugh. I am so ineffective as a Soldier. I always end up positive, and sometimes I get a great ratio, but I'm only averaging 2.5k per Conquest match. I know some people can do great things with a Soldier, but I am not one of them. I used to think it was one of my best classes, but that was just because I didn't know how to use the Scout/Scientist right. Now, whenever I play as those classes, I never fear the Soldier because I know he is a piece of cake unless he's being buffed by his buddies (and good luck getting randoms to help you out). Ugh.

Only one more level to go and then I never have to touch the Soldier again! :lol

I got this for my laptop, ran very smooth and after the first level I'm really enjoying it......the voice acting is entertaining me

One problem though.........

The controls are all messed up on my gamepad, the left stick is opposite of how it should be and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it

Inverting the axis in settings does nothing.............

The controls do work with a mouse/keyboard but I'd prefer the gamepad

the way this game handles players that do not have the maps really pisses me off. connecting to a game and then getting booted to the main menu is really fucking annoying.

i have the points to buy em but seeing the way they treat the have-nots has turned me off from doing so.

divisionbyzorro said:
How come I never find these Conquest boosting matches? As sad as it sounds, I would gladly join in! :lol

I found one! :lol I feel like a dirty whore, but it got me from 24.0 to 24.9 on my Soldier in 20 minutes, and considering how much I hate the Soldier, I don't care!

So has anyone else noticed the player base dwindling? It's not like the 4.5k average was exactly lighting the world on fire, but dropping to 3.5k isn't a good sign. How long before High Moon turns on the double XP switch permanently in a last-ditch effort to keep people playing?
Soon please!

It's sad to see few playing, but you can still get plenty of good games with those numbers, though mainly on conquest and the TDM.

No-one on my friends list even bought or played this.

Katana_Strikes said:
It's sad to see few playing, but you can still get plenty of good games with those numbers, though mainly on conquest and the TDM.

No-one on my friends list even bought or played this.

It's real shame :( I'm really hoping we see more double XP soon; I finished off my Soldier yesterday - and now I never ever have to use him again! But it's going to take ages to finish up the rest of the classes. Fortunately I'm way better with all of them than I am with the Soldier, so it should hopefully go faster, but there's still a huge mountain to climb.

Going from Level 0-15: 100k XP
Going from Level 15-20: 100k XP
Going from Level 20-25: 150k XP

Total: 350k XP

On a more pleasant note, I had an 8k match this morning sniping with my scout! Here's a hint: if you stand still while capping a point, I will pwn your face with my sniper rifle every time. And since you are kind enough to disguise yourself while doing it, I will gladly take even more XP for each kill. Kill + Domed + Nobody's Fool + Longshot + Defender = :D

By the way - the feedback e-mail seems to be working just fine now! We should all bug High Moon to give us more XP multipliers! E-mail is feedback@transformersgame.com

yeah i'm kinda sad that the community is dwindling so quickly.

this game was a huge surprise hit with me especially as someone that does not care for transformers anymore.

hell the MP is so fun and i want to see more people playing badly - so badly that i bought a copy for my brother when it was on sale at amazon.

Top Bottom