• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Vormund

Jinaar said:
I love playing the MP side of Transformers, but seeing only 3500 people on last night(XBox), Conquest being around only 450 people, doesn't give me much faith to drop down $10 on DLC maps that will then just fracture those numbers even more.

The maps should be free, charge for characters or double exp mode(eeps!) or something else.

Even though I am going to get the dlc, I have to agree. They should just be charging us for the characters, since they are actually on the disc and won't split players.

Jinaar said:
I love playing the MP side of Transformers, but seeing only 3500 people on last night(XBox), Conquest being around only 450 people, doesn't give me much faith to drop down $10 on DLC maps that will then just fracture those numbers even more.

The maps should be free, charge for characters or double exp mode(eeps!) or something else.

I'm actually kinda hoping that the hardcore players will buy the maps and the random casuals won't, so that I won't have to play the really good players anymore :lol

Am I a bad person for only wanting to reach level 100 for the achievement? Obviously the game is good and I like it, but without the level 100 achievement, I wouldn't be playing the multiplayer nearly so ferociously; or more realistically, I would basically be ignoring the Scout and Soldier, and playing almost primarily as the Leader.

divisionbyzorro said:
Am I a bad person for only wanting to reach level 100 for the achievement?

That's all I reached it for. Probably would have given up on the game a long time ago. So I'm pleased I kept on trucking with it because I really enjoyed it for the most part and I did really dig each class at the end. Something I wouldn't have done if not for the trophy. I think about lvl 80 or so it felt like a drag for a bit but when the end is in sight...

BTW you know the game has a small but dedicated player base when you keep meeting up with the same familiar faces night after night. I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer game (though it's not all that often I do) where this has happened.

Vormund

Katana_Strikes said:
BTW you know the game has a small but dedicated player base when you keep meeting up with the same familiar faces night after night. I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer game (though it's not all that often I do) where this has happened.

Put simply, they are Transformers fans. :D I've started compiling GT's at my usual TF forum.

Katana_Strikes said:
That's all I reached it for. Probably would have given up on the game a long time ago. So I'm pleased I kept on trucking with it because I really enjoyed it for the most part and I did really dig each class at the end. Something I wouldn't have done if not for the trophy. I think about lvl 80 or so it felt like a drag for a bit but when the end is in sight...

I've gotten to the point where I'll recognize some names and know to back out if I'm playing against them. :lol Maybe it's unsporting of me, but if I'm trying to level up my Scout (which is by far my worst class), I don't want to do it against the best of the best!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yay! finished Escalation for my Gold Trophy

I did Wave 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 solo @_@!, while the others watched

Autobots, Jetfire or was it Air Raid, I forget (the cloaking one), unlock the OverShield/Scrapmaker + go to work annihilating Decepticons, accumulated 5000+ points to burn through, was awesome

X-Frame

Man does it take a while to level up, especially at the higher levels.

No way I am going into Prime Mode if it's going to take me so long just to level up each character the first time around. They REALLY need to Double the XP each and every weekend.

You really need patience on the higher levels cause it does feel like an age to level up sometimes. Took me 10 days to get from Level 75 to 100 and that was constantly playing for 3 hours a night.

I put in about 52 hours all together from start to finish.

Having just started Prime mode, I got to level 8 last night in no time. It's quite funny how fast you level up at the beginning once you know the ropes where initially it would have been much longer to get to that point. But it's also annoying because all you're abilities are stripped and I certainly don't have the patience to get them all back again. So I'd kill to get my levels maxxed back.

I do wonder why they haven't done another double XP weekend since the first. Maybe they'll do it when the new DLC comes out to try and raise more interest and get people back in...

Just wanted to hop in here and say that I am complete shit with using the Soldier's Omega Missile. Half the time I end up just killing myself with it. Does anyone have any good pointers for how to use it right, other than just a massively powerful suicide bomb?

divisionbyzorro said:
Just wanted to hop in here and say that I am complete shit with using the Soldier's Omega Missile. Half the time I end up just killing myself with it. Does anyone have any good pointers for how to use it right, other than just a massively powerful suicide bomb?

Sorry can't help you either. Every time I've had it I end up blowing myself up or wasting it and hitting into something non robotic. :lol In fact from what I've seen throughout my time most people are the same too. By the time I've accustomed myself to the controls... BOOM!

Katana_Strikes said:
Sorry can't help you either. Every time I've had it I end up blowing myself up or wasting it and hitting into something non robotic. :lol In fact from what I've seen throughout my time most people are the same too. By the time I've accustomed myself to the controls... BOOM!

I've gotten the point where when I get on a 7-streak, I just go find the nearest group of enemies and blow myself up in the middle of them. It's obnoxious, because theoretically I should be saving it to build to my next killstreak - but that never seems to happen.

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
I've gotten the point where when I get on a 7-streak, I just go find the nearest group of enemies and blow myself up in the middle of them. It's obnoxious, because theoretically I should be saving it to build to my next killstreak - but that never seems to happen.

Killstreaks can be used to build your current KS though even after death, right?

For example, you're a Leader and you get the POKE 2.0 .. die .. then activate it and get 5 kills .. you should unlock another POKE 2.0 .. I do this all the time.

I always wait until I get a POKE 2.0 then I save it until I die .. then once I come back I use it and it's almost too easy to get 5 kills (Conquest, Power Struggle) and then I get it again .. rinse and repeat. Leaders are ridiculous.

X-Frame said:
Killstreaks can be used to build your current KS though even after death, right?

For example, you're a Leader and you get the POKE 2.0 .. die .. then activate it and get 5 kills .. you should unlock another POKE 2.0 .. I do this all the time.

I always wait until I get a POKE 2.0 then I save it until I die .. then once I come back I use it and it's almost too easy to get 5 kills (Conquest, Power Struggle) and then I get it again .. rinse and repeat. Leaders are ridiculous.

Absolutely. Both the Leader and the Scientist can chain their killstreaks together fairly easily. I just wish I could do it with the Soldier.

BTW - do you find Conquest or Power Struggle more effective for leveling up faster?

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
Absolutely. Both the Leader and the Scientist can chain their killstreaks together fairly easily. I just wish I could do it with the Soldier.

BTW - do you find Conquest or Power Struggle more effective for leveling up faster?
since i just started the other day playing this game, im finding that power struggle is getting me more xp faster.

X-Frame

It's hard to tell because Power Struggle games seem to be a lot quicker and most of the time the teams are a little unbalanced.

You can get a crapload of XP in Conquest if you do very little else besides taking territories. In Power Struggle you're much more reliant on a smart team.

X-Frame

It is Double XP this weekend?

And I'm probably not buying the DLC. I just don't see it as a worthwhile investment. I've been burned too many times with DLC that I ended up not even playing.

Mass Effect 2 DLC is what I need to focus on now. Heh.

AwRy108

Anyone know if the co-op servers are functional yet?

A friend and I tried to play a few weeks ago, and the game didn't even come close to letting us connect. We live a few miles apart and are even on the braodband ISP, so I'd say the blame lies with the game itself.

AwRy108 said:
Anyone know if the co-op servers are functional yet?

A friend and I tried to play a few weeks ago, and the game didn't even come close to letting us connect. We live a few miles apart and are even on the braodband ISP, so I'd say the blame lies with the game itself.

I've never had any issues getting co-op to work. It could be regional; what country are you from?

Jinaar

Same boat. Wedding to attend and then spend time with the gf this weekend. Second double xp weekend I have missed. I think I am shelving the game. It has had its time in the sun.

*goes over to the PSP that holds MGS5PW and rubs it on his groin*

Finally got this game after an Amazon DOTD as well as having $25 gift credit from getting rid of a bunch of old DVDs. Played for about half an hour but am already having a blast. I'll have to give the multiplayer a go this weekend.

gotee12

Ok, High Moon, I've bought the DLC. Now give me a working multiplayer in which to use the content. Then again this does follow Activision's philosophy...

1. Give us $$$
2. There is no 2

(on the PS3 btw)

gotee12 said:
Ok, High Moon, I've bought the DLC. Now give me a working multiplayer in which to use the content. Then again this does follow Activision's philosophy...

1. Give us $$$
2. There is no 2

(on the PS3 btw)

Sadly, in a P2P multiplayer game, the quality of the experience is directly proportional to the amount of people playing it. More people means more options for host, which means a greater probably of getting a solid host who is near where you're playing. When only 4k people a night are playing, there's a damn good chance you're the only one in your county online!

I guess I'm saying that it's not necessarily High Moon's fault, it's everyone's fault who didn't buy the game. :lol

Vormund

divisionbyzorro said:
:( Why do I have to have in-laws coming in town that weekend? WHY!!?

Regarding the 2xp weekend, apparently that was mentioned up in the news ticker in the game but I don't see it there now..... I guess we'll see.

gotee12

divisionbyzorro said:
Sadly, in a P2P multiplayer game, the quality of the experience is directly proportional to the amount of people playing it. More people means more options for host, which means a greater probably of getting a solid host who is near where you're playing. When only 4k people a night are playing, there's a damn good chance you're the only one in your county online!

I guess I'm saying that it's not necessarily High Moon's fault, it's everyone's fault who didn't buy the game. :lol
I would completely agree with you except for the fact that a buddy of mine 10 minutes from me has zero problems online. I had zero problems for the first 4 days after the games release and then it all went downhill from there. Of course just because someone close to me has no problems while I still do in no way invalidates what you've said, I still wish there was a better answer than what we've got.

And yes that was a cheap shot against Activision that was probably uncalled for given the nature of my short rant.

Vormund said:
Regarding the 2xp weekend, apparently that was mentioned up in the news ticker in the game but I don't see it there now..... I guess we'll see.

Yeah, all the ticker says now is that they've "adjusted the balance." Apparently all they did was make the Scrapmaker into complete shit. Either that or my aim was just way off tonight! :lol

So yeah - even though I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the X12 tonight, I was somehow able to wreck shop with the EMP shotgun. When you have the Heavy Weapons perk, that weapon can do some serious damage, especially if you lock your clip. Using the ammo matrix and spamming the shotgun at close range is so incredibly satisfying! :lol

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
So yeah - even though I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the X12 tonight, I was somehow able to wreck shop with the EMP shotgun. When you have the Heavy Weapons perk, that weapon can do some serious damage, especially if you lock your clip. Using the ammo matrix and spamming the shotgun at close range is so incredibly satisfying! :lol

x2 love that thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RoninChaos said:
Why is 10 bucks for dlc too expensive for you? What would the sweet spot been for you?

After playing so much Team Fortress 2, the sweet spot for new maps and characters would be free.

Sadly, not everyone can be as awesome or as forward thinking as Valve.

Anyway, I picked up WfC for the first time this week (I'd been playing Xenoblade for the last month or so, so I had to delay picking up WfC). Went through the decepticon campaign getting all the secondary achievements for each level (except the Autobot symbol achievement), and now I've moved on to the Autobot campaign. The campaigns are really well designed. I'm having a ton of fun with the game. I'm really surprised how good the game is (especially as a Transformers fan, who can be a little hard to please).

The multiplayer is pretty awesome too, though Escalation seems downright impossible with pubbies (no one seems to make decisions in line with the common good).

All in all, the game was definitely a good buy. I'm really enjoying it.

I think it should have been around $7.50, tad too expensive at the moment

Started playing multi last night, level 16 with scientist so far, pretty hard class to use seeing as whenever an enemy robot sneezes in my direction im almost dead :lol

I'm sorry, but I can't backpack an entire team in Conquest. When I'm the only one who's not negative, and we had a couple guys go 2-15 and 2-14, we're going to lose and it's sure as shit not my fault. Ugh.

In other news, matchmaking is getting really annoying as the DLC maps start showing up, but I am not paying $10 just to not have to deal with matchmaking issues!

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm sorry, but I can't backpack an entire team in Conquest. When I'm the only one who's not negative, and we had a couple guys go 2-15 and 2-14, we're going to lose and it's sure as shit not my fault. Ugh.

In other news, matchmaking is getting really annoying as the DLC maps start showing up, but I am not paying $10 just to not have to deal with matchmaking issues!

Yes its highly irritating, wish they did it like COD and have them only appear when everyone who is playing has them?

Level 19 now on scientist, im going to try and max leader and scout when the double experience is on (apparently the ticker in multi has been updated saying there will definetly be double exp this weekend)

X-Frame

It's way too early for them to have released new maps.

New characters were great .. but new maps - stupid. They should've released 2-3 patches before they released this DLC but goes to show they're just looking to make a quick buck.

I hate Activision.

Well, after five straight levels with the Soldier, I switched over to the Scout. It's like someone removed a ball and chain from my ankles - I can finally move again! :lol The Soldier certainly can be powerful, but even when you're doing well with him, he's incredibly boring to play with. Fortunately I only have five more levels to go with him before I never have to use him again!

aparisi2274

HELP!!!

Not sure if this a glitch or what, but I am at the
soundwave
boss battle, and I get through the first round of the battle and then (and here is where I think this is a glitch),
when soundwave comes out to rescue Frenzy and they both go back behind the forcefield nothing is happening...I read on other boards that more turrets are supposed to come out and shoot me and then he ejects Rumble, but none of this is happening..

How long do I need to wait before the turrets come back?

Do I need to do something to activate the next part of this boss fight??

Thanks

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
aparisi2274 said:
HELP!!!

Not sure if this a glitch or what, but I am at the
soundwave
boss battle, and I get through the first round of the battle and then (and here is where I think this is a glitch),
when soundwave comes out to rescue Frenzy and they both go back behind the forcefield nothing is happening...I read on other boards that more turrets are supposed to come out and shoot me and then he ejects Rumble, but none of this is happening..

How long do I need to wait before the turrets come back?

Do I need to do something to activate the next part of this boss fight??

Thanks

It's supposed to happen immediately without you doing anything. This is most definitely a glitch.

thetrin

X-Frame said:
It's way too early for them to have released new maps.

New characters were great .. but new maps - stupid. They should've released 2-3 patches before they released this DLC but goes to show they're just looking to make a quick buck.

I hate Activision.

As I said earlier in the thread: with companies like Valve still offering huge updates to TF2 (even three years down the line!) for free, Activision pretty much has no excuse for DLC that costs money, outside of obvious and disgusting greed.

aparisi2274

thetrin said:
It's supposed to happen immediately without you doing anything. This is most definitely a glitch.

yeah it was! I had to back out of my game and power down my 360. Once I restarted and got right back into the game, the battle proceeded as it was designed to..

Thanks

X-Frame

thetrin said:
As I said earlier in the thread: with companies like Valve still offering huge updates to TF2 (even three years down the line!) for free, Activision pretty much has no excuse for DLC that costs money, outside of obvious and disgusting greed.

Now that I just bought one of the new MacBook Pro's, do you recommend I buy TF2?

I should have no problem playing it (it would be my first "PC" game too).

thetrin said:

And with almost every other company making money off dlc, why would they want to emulate valve? These games are short lived, they know in this environment of console gamers that they migrate to new games in a few months, they need to make extra money off their investments and dlc is the rage now. Few companies have the dedication that the fans have for Valve products.

Top Bottom