• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Fantastic game!

My online problem is the co-op campaign. I love it except for the way it deals with player death. I wish you could just respawn instead of stopping the game and starting at the previous checkpoint.

Pimpbaa

Diseased Yak said:
Anyone pick up the PS3 version? As reported in an earlier post this twitter personage here says the load times are upwards of a minute.

I think that guys PS3 is busted. It's only somewhat bad when starting up the game (the game checks the installed data for some reason). Other than that load times are average for an unreal engine game.

edit: reading more of his tweets, the game froze on him twice while doing the initial setup plus he said his ps3 sounds like a jet engine. His PS3 is about to bite the dust I bet.

Raoh

chixdiggit said:
Even if it doesn't it does. Not that I would recommend hindering yourself with a controller. But to each his own.

are there any xpadder tutorials/discussion threads?

i'm a bit of a pc gaming newb and still love my controller, but i've had issues setting up xpadder properly..

also on the pc side are those frag controllers any good?

Damnit the graphics and $40 price tag is making me want the PC version, but I fear no one will be playing the online mode soon after. Too many PC games without dedicated servers (even some that do) on PC just have completely dead online communities. Just think there will be more active people on 360... but $20 more.... :(

X-Frame

Love love love this game. I love all the classes and transforming and finally using killstreaks and more abilities, etc. Plus, the Leader is such a badass class (POKE 2.0 OMG).

The only aspect I am disliking is the Soldier's Whirlwind craziness. You get 2 enemies with Whirlwind upgraded and they can spin all around a room with little resistance. Especially brutal in Power Struggle.

Effect

Spike said:
It's not bad. It is an on-rails shooter with a cover mechanic separated by short on-rails driving/flying portions. The graphics are well done and it is fluid, maybe 60 fps. The story is mostly just a little narration before the level begins and then there are some small scripted sections in game, but they only last a few seconds at most. I don't own it, but I played it at length at my local game store. Seems alright, but not worth the full price. Wait for a price drop. It will probably be scoring in the 5.0-7.0 range from most sites, but if I was to rate it on what I've played so far, it would be 6.5-7.5 area.

Thanks.

This goes out to anyone that could possibly answer this. Is the Wii version at least telling the same story as the PS3/360 versions? Suppose to be around the same length as the other version or perhaps longer since it's on rails?

AwRy108

Pimpbaa said:
I think that guys PS3 is busted. It's only somewhat bad when starting up the game (the game checks the installed data for some reason). Other than that load times are average for an unreal engine game.

edit: reading more of his tweets, the game froze on him twice while doing the initial setup plus he said his ps3 sounds like a jet engine. His PS3 is about to bite the dust I bet.

How nice of him to prematurely post about the load times. Oh, wait: that's Twitter for ya'.

Spike

The Take Out Bandit said:
It's on the way from Gamefly and I don't had a HD. So it would be a huge problem. :|

No HDD install required. Actually, there are no 360 games that force an install since not every 360 unit sold comes with an HDD (Arcade).

Strange that the 360 version is not available directly from Amazon right now, must be pretty popular. So early word is that the PS3/360 differences are pretty minimal right, may just pick up the PS3 version.

I really hope this game does well, it feels like the devs really put their hearts into the game. Also, the more people the buy it the more people there are playing the multiplayer.:D

Just finished the first level in the Decepticons campaign, good stuff. The framerate dips a little here and there and screen tearing is present when moving the camera, but those are rather minor complaints that do not wreck the game by any means, and really is the usual with UR 3.

The battle chat between characters is really well done, they nailed the spirit of Megatron, great banter with him and the other Decepticons. Solid graphics, great character designs, and more importantly the gameplay is solid fun. Shooting is spot on and works well, and I love blasting some smaller autobots and then quickly transforming into a tank to blast the larger foes, then transforming back to take on more of the smaller bots, its awesome.

Edit: playing the PS3 version, and no issue with load times when restarting from a check point - online co-op.

Stitch said:
FPS capped at 30, no customizable controls, no real graphic settings + encrypted ini file, no dedicated servers = another activision shitport

fucking kotick

Well, that's a real shame. I was so close to setting my Activision boycott aside and buying it after discovering it was $39.99 on steam. Definitely not going to now.

klez

Dreohboy said:
Can someone confirm that 1680 x 1050 is one of the supported resolutions for the PC version?

Yes, I'm playing on that res on my rig right now. There's also inverted-y for each separated car, tank, truck, jet, and robot mode. Other than that there's no setting anything other than low/mid/high graphics, and no rebinding keys.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sad to hear about the PC version.

Anyone here take the plunge on it? I'm tempted despite Activision's shitty implementation.

How does it run perf wise?

klez said:
Yes, I'm playing on that res on my rig right now. There's also inverted-y for each separated car, tank, truck, jet, and robot mode. Other than that there's no setting anything other than low/mid/high graphics, and no rebinding keys.

Still trying to let this bullshit sink in... it makes no fucking sense that they wouldn't allow at the very fucking least key binds.

And LOL at FPS cap.

aegies

Classic_Gs said:
Just finished the first level in the Decepticons campaign, good stuff. The framerate dips a little here and there and screen tearing is present when moving the camera, but those are rather minor complaints that do not wreck the game by any means, and really is the usual with UR 3.

The battle chat between characters is really well done, they nailed the spirit of Megatron, great banter with him and the other Decepticons. Solid graphics, great character designs, and more importantly the gameplay is solid fun. Shooting is spot on and works well, and I love blasting some smaller autobots and then quickly transforming into a tank to blast the larger foes, then transforming back to take on more of the smaller bots, its awesome.

Edit: playing the PS3 version, and no issue with load times when restarting from a check point - online co-op.

The tearing is primarily a PS3 issue. Graphically, the game displays all of the same issues UE3 cross-platform games tend toward: a worse framerate, lack of AA, and tearing in the PS3 version. It was enough for me to score the graphics on the PS3 lower than the 360 version. But, it wasn't enough to lower the overall score on the PS3. It's just one of those things.

And I highly advise that 360 players install the game. It helps a LOT with load times and texture fade-in.

klez

MisterAnderson said:
Still trying to let this bullshit sink in... it makes no fucking sense that they wouldn't allow at the very fucking least key binds.

And LOL at FPS cap.

Yea, it's really a bare-bones port. For $40 I guess I can look over that since it's a really well crafted transformer game and I'm loving it. But if there's a sequel I'll expect a lot more.

aegies said:
The tearing is primarily a PS3 issue. Graphically, the game displays all of the same issues UE3 cross-platform games tend toward: a worse framerate, lack of AA, and tearing in the PS3 version. It was enough for me to score the graphics on the PS3 lower than the 360 version. But, it wasn't enough to lower the overall score on the PS3. It's just one of those things.

And I highly advise that 360 players install the game. It helps a LOT with load times and texture fade-in.
Ah cool, I read your 360 review but have not had a chance to check out your PS3 scores (to compare), so nice to know they are pretty much even. Your score shocked me, but in a good way, after all these years I did not expect a good TF game to actually be made :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
klez said:
Yea, it's really a bare-bones port. For $40 I guess I can look over that since it's a really well crafted transformer game and I'm loving it. But if there's a sequel I'll expect a lot more.

I was playing multiplayer on the PC, doing fairly well my first match.

After getting about 8 kills, the game quits out with the message "the host has left the game".

What the hell is that? Peer to peer, and it can't dynamically make another peer the host if the original quits out?

What bullshit.

Tadale

Played about four hours worth of conquest tonight with a couple of friends. I have to say it's a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace after spending a couple of months with Battlefield. It's hectic, but there's a lot of strategy to work with if you have a couple of teammates working together with different classes.

So far I think I like the Scientist the best. The healing grenade is especially useful, since the heals tick so fast that it's almost like being invincible for a few seconds. The shockwave push is also really helpful in big groups of enemies, and with the improved damage perk it can actually be pretty deadly, too.

ElRenoRaven

ghostmind said:
Only played the SP so far - getting very annoyed with the ammo system in this game.

I find that burst firing helps conserve ammo a ton. This game without a doubt is one that you can't just go and keep unloading on people without worrying about running out of ammo. I actually like that myself.

Beat it. Got Arcee :D. Woo. So yeah. This game is fucking awesome. Single player was fantastic and felt like it was epic throughout both campaigns and did not let down. No tearing here on the 360, a few dips in the frame rate but it was only when like HUGE explosions happened. Load times are pretty fast, some of the fastest Ive seen in a while. Multiplayer is a blast, nothing better then flying to the front lines to heal people with my medigun. Played escalation for like 5 minutes and liked it.

Teknoman

Sent out a message to everyone on my friends list (XBL) back when the demo hit...so hopefully that'll move some copies. At least made people try the demo.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I actually picked up the DS versions today in addition to the PS3 version. I've only played through the intro mission of the Autobot version so far, but it actually seems pretty decent. Fairly comparable to the previous Transformers DS games...probably somewhere in the 6-7 range.

There are apparently 30 playable characters between the two versions, so I'm interested in seeing some of the DS exclusive figures.

As it turns out, the Toys R Us exclusive Silverbolt character is just unlocked via a code that's included in the package. It's the same code for both the Autobot and Decepticon versions of the game, and of course it works on all copies. So if you want to unlock Silverbolt in the DS game:

• From the main menu, go to the Options screen
  • Select Code Input
  • Enter the code 10141

Edit: Courtesy of Hasbro, enter the code 99871 to unlock Ramjet.

Dizzle24

What's the replay value? I become bored easily after completing a game and either move to a different game, or replay if there are different characters to play as or bonuses.
Can you choose any character for the campaigns, or do you have to play as Prime or Megatron?

jrricky

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
...wait...this game is actually good?
Doubt it, since GAF (and some friends >_>)liked the Wolverine Movie game (which sucked)... it could be just one of those games thats not completely and utterly shit that gets a pass b/c of graphics/multiplayer......or it could be completely awesome (which I said is doubtful)...

...will try the demo later though...

MisterNoisy

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
...wait...this game is actually good?

Yeah. It's actually good. It's a licensed title that borrows liberally from high-profile AAA titles (Gears) while recasting those mechanics in a manner that's totally faithful to the source material and with top-notch art design.

If you watched and enjoyed Transformers as a kid you really should pick it up. If you didn't, it's worth it for the jet-transformer gameplay alone. :)

jrricky said:
Doubt it, since GAF (and some friends >_>)liked the Wolverine Movie game (which sucked)... it could be just one of those games thats not completely and utterly shit that gets a pass b/c of graphics/multiplayer......or it could be completely awesome (which I said is doubtful)...

...will try the demo later though...
No its good. And what the hell? Its not even a movie tie in game.

Top Bottom