• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Liberty4all

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I read through the whole thread, no PS3 impressions from anyone?

I have PS3 version. So far it's great. Only caveat, there were only about 800 people online last night as of around 11 PM EST ... not sure if PS3 will be able to hold onto it's online community in this game which is a damn shame.

I'm hoping that most people were playing single player campaign yesterday and that more people will be online tomorrow.

I picked up the last PS3 copy today at Best Buy for $39. I went to a few around town (FS as well) and they were all sold out or only had a few 360 copies left.

Can't wait to try it tonight !

JohngPR

Bamelin said:
I have PS3 version. So far it's great. Only caveat, there were only about 800 people online last night as of around 11 PM EST ... not sure if PS3 will be able to hold onto it's online community in this game which is a damn shame.

I'm hoping that most people were playing single player campaign yesterday and that more people will be online tomorrow.

That's really unfortunate. I went online earlier today (around 10:30 AM) on the 360 and there was already 5,000 people playing it. 0_o

Liberty4all

Banned
JohngPR said:
That's really unfortunate. I went online earlier today (around 10:30 AM) on the 360 and there was already 5,000 people playing it. 0_o

Keep in mind though Europe doesn't have the game yet ... that could bring in alot more PS3 players.

JohngPR said:

That's not alot either for a game that just got released. I really doubt the game is going to hold an online community for very long, why I'm skipping the PC version for the 360 one since it will probably at least last a bit longer than the rest.

I was initially underwhelmed during act 1 of the Decepticon campaign but by act 2 I was into it and enjoyed act 3 as well. Didn't have time to play much more but I'm liking it a lot so far.

I am somewhat saddened at the lack of Frank Welker. The current Megatron voice sounds more like Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron. Was there ever a reason given for Welker's omission? Did he price himself out of it or something?

X-Frame

There was about 17,000 last time I checked on XBL last night.

I expect 30,000+ this weekend. Another reason why I got the 360 version.

X-Frame said:
There was about 17,000 last time I checked on XBL last night.

I expect 30,000+ this weekend. Another reason why I got the 360 version.

This number is much more encouraging that the 5k I was hearing earlier. Since MP is really the only thing I'm seriously interested in, the community size needs to be large enough to sustain this game for a while in order to justify a purchase.

Bamelin said:
Not a surprise, considering the fact that PS3 didn't even get a demo of the game. Good job, devs.

Kletian

Space A Cobra said:
I was initially underwhelmed during act 1 of the Decepticon campaign but by act 2 I was into it and enjoyed act 3 as well. Didn't have time to play much more but I'm liking it a lot so far.

I am somewhat saddened at the lack of Frank Welker. The current Megatron voice sounds more like Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron. Was there ever a reason given for Welker's omission? Did he price himself out of it or something?

Welker's not all he's cracked up to be anymore. He's forgotten how to do the pre-altered Megatron voice, and instead tries to do the post-altered version and ends up failing. It's the same reason he wasnt the voice in the movies.

Now, instead it should have been David Kaye. Beast Wars Megatron voice vs. G1 Peter Cullen would have been sooooo good.

Kletian said:
Welker's not all he's cracked up to be anymore. He's forgotten how to do the pre-altered Megatron voice, and instead tries to do the post-altered version and ends up failing. It's the same reason he wasnt the voice in the movies.

I thought they just wanted a big name like Hugo Weaving(whose voice sucks), I heard him do Megatron in an interview some time ago and I thought he sounded good.

Finished the Decepticon campaign. I didn't really like it except for the final two levels fighting
Omega Supreme.
The autobot campaign is a lot better. Kaon prison was awesome.

Denzar

Man, this game looks awesome... And I'm not even a Transformers fan.

Do appreciate it though...

And the PS3 version is not running like shit? Because, that Bourne game from High Moon on PS3... Not that great...

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
This number is much more encouraging that the 5k I was hearing earlier. Since MP is really the only thing I'm seriously interested in, the community size needs to be large enough to sustain this game for a while in order to justify a purchase.
Yes, that is a very respectable number for a launch day, great game out of the blue game.

This MP deserves 50,000 plus easy. It's so awesome.

eshwaaz

There's a lot about this game that interests me, but the explosions here are some of the worst I've seen this generation. There's no sense of force, heat or intensity at all. Some of the effects are there and gone so quickly that they look like glitches.

Foxix Von

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You did. He's the voice of Brawl and several minor characters.

Really? I didn't even notice it was him!?:lol

But I swear I've heard every voice in this game somewhere else before. It's weird having that feeling of "Oh damnit, who else has this guy played?" every time someone speaks. I think it would be easier to keep track of what work he get's not buy cataloging what he has done, but by making a list of the work he's not involved with. Surely that must be a substantially shorter list.

dankir

I played a bit on the 360 version. I love the details, A/V and nostalgia. Like they really did a fucking awesome job of making this a Transformers fan's dream game.

Controls are too floaty I find, maybe I'm not used to it yet. I wish Optimus felt I don't know heavier? I guess the jumping mechanic bothers me a bit.

X-Frame

dankir said:
I played a bit on the 360 version. I love the details, A/V and nostalgia. Like they really did a fucking awesome job of making this a Transformers fan's dream game.

Controls are too floaty I find, maybe I'm not used to it yet. I wish Optimus felt I don't know heavier? I guess the jumping mechanic bothers me a bit.
Vehicle sensitivity is different for each vehicle. Trucks in Leader class are very heavy whereas Scout is more sensitive.

And I notice differences in weight for each classes, but I guess not as much as I would like too.

dankir

X-Frame said:
Vehicle sensitivity is different for each vehicle. Trucks in Leader class are very heavy whereas Scout is more sensitive.

And I notice differences in weight for each classes, but I guess not as much as I would like too.

I dunno it just seems like regardless of the angle of the ground you're standing on you always jump the same height and you kind of float when you spin in around.

The controls are too lose and I think the character animations don't really help promote that you're this big hulking robot.

Ah well still fucking cool though.

JohngPR

BattleMonkey said:
That's not alot either for a game that just got released. I really doubt the game is going to hold an online community for very long, why I'm skipping the PC version for the 360 one since it will probably at least last a bit longer than the rest.

I'm not sure what's considered a lot, but I know the most I saw yesterday was 15,000. I'm sure that's not COD number, but seems good to me.

Liberty4all

Banned
Tycho seemed to like it alot:

I kept returning to the Transformers: War For Cybertron demo, time and time again - and yes, spell checker, Cybertron is a motherfucking word. Even though I'd hit the level cap, I kept telling myself I "wasn't sure" if I liked it or not, but that wasn't entirely true. I did like it; I just didn't know why.

Did I like it because I wanted to? Did I like it because robots that are also other things constitute the steel pantheon of my youth? I don't entirely know if it's possible to extricate the person I am from what I like, and it hasn't seemed to bother people who have read the site for the last decade, so long as I am forthright about my inclinations. Well, I have one.

It is my inclination to like things that say Transformers on the front.

For those who live by a similar ethos, Transformers: War for Cybertron is an act of worship. For creatures made of an indeterminate alloy, these beings are surprisingly, convincingly alive. They fidgit. They're covered with plates of mysterious purpose that twitch and fold. Even when shifted into a vehicular form, they still manage somehow to communicate a livingness. This can't really be overstated, and I want to praise them like I should.

To look at a screen of Transformers is to get ass-deep in some visual density. Articulated metallic shapes shooting at other shapes on a planet made out of the same material they are presents the user with a suite of unique challenges. Navigating such an environment (or even, at times, interpreting it) is something that utilizes every skill we've developed as enthusiasts of electronic entertainment. There are polish issues that rise up: and not polish on the chrome surfaces, which uniformly gleam. In attempting to play through the campaign, all three of us - at different times - fell entirely through the world into space. Now, the game takes place in space, so falling through its infinite reaches with no hope of rescue isn't the thematic break that it might be in other titles. Plus, the party is spawned near one another at the end of a cutscene, which are frequent. But it speaks to aberrant behaviors that run through the play experience: getting stuck on shit is surprisingly common. Non-combat physical interactions between entities feel rough. I wouldn't say it was "half-baked," but still. It doesn't feel entirely baked.

Multiplayer is a mess, but it's a good mess, like a ladle of gumbo over dirty rice. The second Activision game in as many months that attempts to boil stock off some venerated bones, but the classes (as we discussed earlier) sequester the entirety of the offering into four independent experiences, all of which have their own progressions, closer to Bad Company than Modern Warfare. Except in Bad Company you might wait at the spawn in a vain attempt to secure a vehicle, whereas in Transformers, well, you know. That's where the "transformers" bit comes in.

Kee kurr kee kurrch jown.

I'm sure I'll convince one of my cohorts to continue the campaign, but when we can jump into quick forty-kill rounds, progress, customize, and paint robots who crack each other open with Energon blades it may be a tough sell. I want to investigate their Escalation mode, a take on a Hordy/Nazi Zombiesian mode that (combined with the classes) has potential. The offering is surprisingly wide; the multiplayer that I think most people (me) assumed was "tacked on" is probably where I'll spend the bulk of my time.
(CW)TB out.

EzLink

Banned
I think I'm gonna cave and pick this up tomorrow. Seems awesome, and I actually had a blast with the multiplayer (and I usually never do multiplayer stuff) so I think it will last me a while

Does anyone find the graphics way too repetitive and busy? I know there can't be too much variety on a planet made of metal, but everything looks so samey and the designs are so visually busy it's pretty easy to get lost in all of the action.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
KernelPanic said:
I picked up the last PS3 copy today at Best Buy for $39. I went to a few around town (FS as well) and they were all sold out or only had a few 360 copies left.

Can't wait to try it tonight !
Is it on sale at Best Buy?

I just rented it.... I hate it and yet I keep going back.

Aside from it's production values(which are really good), it's bosses(Soundwave is an actually good boss fight) the rest of the game is REALLY Shallow. It's the same thing over and OVER AGAIN. The basic game mechanics are clunky at time. Aiming is a bitch. All I do is side stepping an enemy and shooting him in the front, or in the case of Brutes, shooting them in the back. It doesn't do anything that really makes me go WOW. It's feels too much like a UE3 game.... Especially in the art direction.(maybe it's an engine thing).

And yet I keep coming back.

All I'm gonna Say is: it's more fun than it is good.

Foxix Von

X-Frame said:
All I know is that High Moon just guaranteed themselves a sequel. Lol.

I hope so, call it "Transformers: Fall of the Golden Age" or something cool like that.

And to the poster above, aiming really shouldn't be that hard. What's your sensitivity set to? I know I had to crank mine way the hell up there to be comfortable.

Sill4

divisionbyzorro said:
So are the Scouts still OP'd in multiplayer? Or do the other classes/abilities balance them out?
They aren't op'd. The scientist's sentry gun spots cloaked enemies and disrupts their shit. Plus, they can't take many hits from the beefier classes.

The Bookerman said:
I just rented it.... I hate it and yet I keep going back.

Aside from it's production values(which are really good), it's bosses(Soundwave is an actually good boss fight) the rest of the game is REALLY Shallow. It's the same thing over and OVER AGAIN.
It no more the "same over and over" as any other game with similar gameplay. Gears and more say hello. Plus with the variation of the vehicles and being able to switch on the fly I thought it did a good job of mixing the stuff up.

The Bookerman said:
The basic game mechanics are clunky at time. Aiming is a bitch. All I do is side stepping an enemy and shooting him in the front, or in the case of Brutes, shooting them in the back. It doesn't do anything that really makes me go WOW. It's feels too much like a UE3 game.... Especially in the art direction.(maybe it's an engine thing).
Are you playing on ps3 or x360? I only ask because Ive been playing on 360 and not had any big aiming issues whatsoever.

before today I played easily over 15 hours of the demo, and my observation at that point was that scouts were a bit overpowered, although soldiers are no sissy especially with the scrapmaker.

been playing full game multi today and my impressions of scout and soldier remain about the same. leader seems well balanced and fun as well. scouts, again, are a bit overbalanced.

I can't figure scientist out. they have useful abilities, and can fly, but I'm still trying to figure out how to actually put this together in a cohesive gameplay strategy. playing dedicated healer sounds nice but if you're walking around with the gang, on foot, you're *insanely* vulnerable and tend to die first and fast and often.

I tend to get *owned* as scientist because if you're not constantly flying around, you're insanely vulnerable. and if you're constantly flying around, you're less useful. I've yet to render a verdict on this class' balance but it certainly seems that, at the least, this is an ADVANCED class meant for skilled players who have mastered the maps.

Revolutionary said:
Not a surprise, considering the fact that PS3 didn't even get a demo of the game. Good job, devs.

This is a major complaint I've always had with PlayStation Network. Sony needs to get on that and on third parties. Unless third parties don't like selling games. :p

Sanjurpo: is it original or shitty Lincoln Park remix?

Sorry for the noobish question. I don't use my PS3 to game online much since none of my friends have one. For the PS3 users of the game, would you be interested in some multiplayer sometime tonight? My user name is obijkenobi. (I've never actually added a friend on the PSN. Is it just adding their user name and they add mine back?)

Anyone in Aust still having issues getting their pre-order codes redeemed? Activision sure put in the most retarded way of unlocking 2 characters. I don't see why they just couldn't have given us a 16 digit code to use straight on XBL rather then force us to go to a website that doesn't exist, enter in a 12 digit code, then wait to get emailed a 16 digit code to use on XBL.

EB know about it, and are waiting to hear back from the head office, and I emailed Activision 2 days ago, and they said sorry to hear about that and to give it a day or 2 then email them back :/

My guess is they did it on purpose so they can charge for them as paid DLC.

vg260

Hm, sounds like a pleasant surprise. Shame it's published by Activision. I can't in good conscience support that company.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
2&2 said:
Hm, sounds like a pleasant surprise. Shame it's published by Activision. I can't in good conscience support that company.
Yeah, but you can't let a good dev team get canned just because they work for a horrible company.

Top Bottom