• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

jrricky

Banned
InfectedZero said:
No its good. And what the hell? Its not even a movie tie in game.
Hmm ...I'll see(again :/), someone above saids its akin to Gears? Im guessing you will like it then if you like Gears?

jrricky

Banned
InfectedZero said:
Its like gears. In that everything has no color and uses unreal engine haha. But there is no cover system. Just get it.
Hmm...and I don't really like Gears or the Engine very much, haha, so I'll give a try...

JohngPR

Foxix said:

Man, I went on there just to see what the going rate is, and it's in the $40 range. :lol

I want it as much as the next guy, but I'm not paying the price of the game for it. Worse part is, the people bidding could have went to Best buy and gotten with the game for free.

CryptiK

IT IS NOTHING LIKE GEARS! For fuck sake people. Gears is a heavy controlled cover based shooter. This is light and precise with no cover its more akin to Halo than anything else even though it isnt a first person shooter.

JohngPR

Anyone else find collectible Autobot medallions in levels?

My 8 year old son was playing yesterday and found one. I was like "Hey, how'd you find that?"

:lol

Foxix Von

ghostmind said:
Only played the SP so far - getting very annoyed with the ammo system in this game.

I keep hearing these complaints and I just don't get it. I was playing co-op with a buddy of mine on the first level and he too consistently ran out of ammo, which is weird because my score was higher than his.

I've almost beat the Decepticon campaign on hard and have never ever run out of ammo. There's tons of it if you just look around the levels and not just make a beeline to the exit.

I have no idea how people are running out, seriously. Also the co-op has a really nifty arcade feel to it when you turn on scoring. You get multipliers for killing enemies and bonus for melee I think. Pretty fun.

Edit: in addition 360 users don't forget to add the metatag Teletran GAF!

Nizz

If someone playing on PS3 could answer, how's the button layout? I pray that they didn't map firing to R2. Please tell me it's R1 for shooting...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CryptiK said:
IT IS NOTHING LIKE GEARS! For fuck sake people. Gears is a heavy controlled cover based shooter. This is light and precise with no cover its more akin to Halo than anything else even though it isnt a first person shooter.

This. Comparisons between this and Gears of War are waaaaaaay off base.

That said, game is rocking my fucking socks, some fun ass shit so far. Though the voice actor they got for Megatron is trying to copy the movie Megatron instead of the real one which is pretty epic fail.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The second decepticon mission is really, really good. Looks amazing too (on PC).

It's -way- too sensitive controlling the flight-mode using the mouse while turbo-ing though. Same with the tank.

purple cobra said:
If someone playing on PS3 could answer, how's the button layout? I pray that they didn't map firing to R2. Please tell me it's R1 for shooting...

L1 for fine aim, R1 for shoot. R2 is your special ability. Control layout on PS3 is fine, but the button layout for the jets is a little finger twisty with the default settings. I haven't bothered to try to config them yet.

JohngPR

Teknoman said:
Thinking about trying to get some Gaf 360 co-op together tomorrow, or at least escalation.

I'm totally down for some coop. Me and a buddy will be playing tomorrow and will need a third guy. :)

X-Frame

Anyone think it was a PITA to redeem your unique character codes?

Going to Gamestop.com, then back to TransformersGame.com, then signing up/logging into Activision, then back to TransformersGame.com, then redeem that Xbox.com .. WTF?

I hate companies that do this just for the sake of increasing their newsletter subscribers after we give them our e-mail.

I like to say it resembles gears but plays much twitchier, has jumping and double jumping, and brings in the transforming mechanic in a very elegant and useful way that gives the game a fresh flavor all its own. It really is a solid title. I can't believe it took 25 years for anyone to make a good transformers game.

important facts;

1) it's NOT some shitty movie tie in or anything tie in. It's transformers, plain and simple.

2) it's a great game whether you are a fan of transformers or not.

3) if you, like many of us, watched G1 as a kid, had the toys, etc -- Add another point or two onto the score. It's full of G1 "flavor". Full of fan service. Listening to the way the characters talk and interact will bring you straight back. The feel is nailed.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was interested in the game and after reading GAF's reactions, I'm getting this.

Which platform should I get it for? I've got all 6 (PSP, DS, Wii, X360, PS3, PC (upper-mid-range config)), so tell me the best one. I don't have XBL Gold, so if online is any good, X360 is an automatic drop from the list.

Sadist

HorribleJames said:
3) if you, like many of us, watched G1 as a kid, had the toys, etc -- Add another point or two onto the score. It's full of G1 "flavor". Full of fan service. Listening to the way the characters talk and interact will bring you straight back. The feel is nailed.
The five year old in me is jumping with yoy <3

Xater

neorej said:
I was interested in the game and after reading GAF's reactions, I'm getting this.

Which platform should I get it for? I've got all 6 (PSP, DS, Wii, X360, PS3, PC (upper-mid-range config)), so tell me the best one. I don't have XBL Gold, so if online is any good, X360 is an automatic drop from the list.

The I guess you will have to choose between PS3 and PC.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Going off the impressions, the gameplay sounds more like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System than Gears of War. That's not a bad thing btw.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm super pissed off that the PC version sucks. PC games with shit launches and support normally die quick deaths in the MP space, so considering how excited I was to play this online, I guess a 360 rent would be a better idea. No anti-cheat, no controls, no graphics options, no servers, no .ini edits? What the fuck?

Damnit, Activision.

panda21 said:
Geff Jerstmann tweeted that the singleplayer was tedious but mp seemed a lot of fun

Arthur Gies replied that the Autobot campaign is better than the Decepticon campaign.

That said, it seems that this game will live and die by multiplayer (both competitive and co-op).

Well, picked up my 360 copy yesterday, unfortunately didnt get a chance to play it though. Will get about two hours tonight to dig in!

So, while Im sitting here at work, ya'll need to post more single player and online impressions because otherwise, I may have to start doing real, actual work.... and nobody wants that. :lol

Had some trouble connecting to multiplayer as a party last night. Finally did get in a room (and a good one!) and stayed there for some time.

Kinda sad that Team DM has 4 times the number of people playing than any other game type.

Anyone else experience freezing? We tried as a party twice to connect to conquest mode MP and one friend had his xbox lock up twice. He could connect to Team DM with no issue.

Escalation is hard as balls. Really like it. Weird that they didn't give Ratchet a healing ray of some type though.

X-Frame

CronosBlade said:
Had some trouble connecting to multiplayer as a party last night. Finally did get in a room (and a good one!) and stayed there for some time.

Kinda sad that Team DM has 4 times the number of people playing than any other game type.

Anyone else experience freezing? We tried as a party twice to connect to conquest mode MP and one friend had his xbox lock up twice. He could connect to Team DM with no issue.

Escalation is hard as balls. Really like it. Weird that they didn't give Ratchet a healing ray of some type though.
I did have some trouble last night in my party too, and yeah I try to stay away from TDM. Objective games are so much more fun.

They really should put TDM at the bottom of the playlists. Lol.

Tadale

After playing the game for some 6 hours last night, I'm wondering where the Gears comparisons are coming from, also. The only thing I can imagine is the actual weapon handling, and even then I doubt it.

Xater

Tadale said:
After playing the game for some 6 hours last night, I'm wondering where the Gears comparisons are coming from, also. The only thing I can imagine is the actual weapon handling, and even then I doubt it.

Seems like third person shooters are now equal to Gears. Which of course is ridiculous because this game has no cover system at all.

MadOdorMachine said:
Going off the impressions, the gameplay sounds more like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System than Gears of War. That's not a bad thing btw.

this is actually true, at least if my memory of metal arms from 5+ years ago is at all accurate.

Deez

Neo Member
Does anyone know what those debris/shards are when you kill an enemy in campaign? You pick them up but I can't tell what they do. Thanks.

Nizz

ThirstyFly said:
L1 for fine aim, R1 for shoot. R2 is your special ability. Control layout on PS3 is fine, but the button layout for the jets is a little finger twisty with the default settings. I haven't bothered to try to config them yet.
Thanks for answering. Sounds good. I loved Transformers as a kid. Watched the G1 cartoons religiously. So glad it seems they did the brand justice with the game.

Deez said:
Does anyone know what those debris/shards are when you kill an enemy in campaign? You pick them up but I can't tell what they do. Thanks.

You have two types of abilities in single player, ones that are on cool down and ones that you need to recharge with energon. The shards are energon for charging that ability.

Tadale

Xater said:
Seems like third person shooters are now equal to Gears. Which of course is ridiculous because this game has no cover system at all.

On the multiplayer side of things, the game is pretty frantic. You've got players dashing around the map dropping powers and class specific grenades pretty constantly, and it's hard for one player to keep up with everything that's going on around him. I think the game is more like Team Fortress than Gears.

Jinaar

Escalation Mode is freakin' tough. A friend and I managed to get to wave 7, constantly dying on the health platform and dropping energon on our downed bodies to get revived and then to only fall again.

Its a very challenging portion of Multiplayer, but need to figure out which doors to open first to get the better gun and grenade upgrades. There is no where to hide!

Love it.

Deez

Neo Member
You have two types of abilities in single player, ones that are on cool down and ones that you need to recharge with energon. The shards are energon for charging that ability.

Sweet. Thanks for the hook up.

methos75

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I read through the whole thread, no PS3 impressions from anyone?

I played the first level last night, as far as it goes compared too the XB360 version I haven't seen a difference between it and the XB360 demo I have, so it seems too be a quality port. no framerate issues or this screen pop up in some are reporting, it was rocksteady on my PS3. Granted though its not really the best looking game, so I cannot see where there could be an issue with it graphically.

X-Frame

I'm also excited to try out Escalation.

Between the awesome MP, Co-Op Escalation and Campaign, imma be playing this game for awhile.

Xater

X-Frame said:
I'm also excited to try out Escalation.

Between the awesome MP, Co-Op Escalation and Campaign, imma be playing this game for awhile.

well let's hope word gets out that the game is good so we can actually get a good online community.

methos75 said:
I played the first level last night, as far as it goes compared too the XB360 version I haven't seen a difference between it and the XB360 demo I have, so it seems too be a quality port. no framerate issues or this screen pop up in some are reporting, it was rocksteady on my PS3. Granted though its not really the best looking game, so I cannot see where there could be an issue with it graphically.

Appreciate the feedback, its a 5GB install if I'm not mistaken?

Dude Abides

Banned
Metal Arms comparison is spot-on. Gears comparisons are only b/c it's third-person and using UE. Otherwise the two are different.

The MP unlocks don't seem as deep as MW2 or UC2 multi, but the transforming mechanic adds an element of depth and fun to the actual gameplay that no other game has.

Completed the entire decepticon campaign. Fucking AWESOME! That fourth episode was freaking ace. I won't say why as to not spoil it but lets just say "something" keeps interfering with you and your crew. LOVED IT! :D More people need to play this!

Liberty4all

Banned
To me the game feels like Unreal Tournament more than anything else I've played in a while. There is definitely a real "old school" vibe going on in multi-player ... I couldn't put my finger on it exactly until I sat down and thought about it.

If I was to guess I would say this feeling is magnified the game interface (none of this "it must be invisible because that's IMMERSIVE! UI bullshit that's in almost every new game nowadays), and the quick TTK's (time to kill). Having to worry about health power ups and weapon pickups in a zone type arena is VERY much late 90's/early 2000's as well.

The neat thing though is that because there are a whole bunch of modern shooter conventions in the game (progression system, unlocks, etc), enough that the game doesn't feel "old" while still retaining that "old school" feeling.

Top Bottom