• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

X-Frame

Samurai Penguin said:
Anyone in Aust still having issues getting their pre-order codes redeemed? Activision sure put in the most retarded way of unlocking 2 characters. I don't see why they just couldn't have given us a 16 digit code to use straight on XBL rather then force us to go to a website that doesn't exist, enter in a 12 digit code, then wait to get emailed a 16 digit code to use on XBL.

EB know about it, and are waiting to hear back from the head office, and I emailed Activision 2 days ago, and they said sorry to hear about that and to give it a day or 2 then email them back :/

My guess is they did it on purpose so they can charge for them as paid DLC.

I did it last night but it was instantaneous.

d0c_zaius

slasher_thrasher21 said:
It no more the "same over and over" as any other game with similar gameplay. Gears and more say hello. Plus with the variation of the vehicles and being able to switch on the fly I thought it did a good job of mixing the stuff up.

I have to completely disagree (especially with your Gears comparision). So far I think I've fought 3 enemy variations, each requiring little to no tactic adjustment.

The poor AI and lack of enemy variation in the encounters really hurts my enjoyment of SP. It's basically continue forward, eliminate junk troops, do it again.

I keep hearing how the Autobot campaign is better, which kinda sucks considering the Decepticon campaign is first.

And having to run around and look for ammo boxes as a f'ing Transformer is dumb. For the acquired weapons, it makes sense.

Liberty4all

Banned
HorribleJames said:
I can't figure scientist out. they have useful abilities, and can fly, but I'm still trying to figure out how to actually put this together in a cohesive gameplay strategy. playing dedicated healer sounds nice but if you're walking around with the gang, on foot, you're *insanely* vulnerable and tend to die first and fast and often.

I tend to get *owned* as scientist because if you're not constantly flying around, you're insanely vulnerable. and if you're constantly flying around, you're less useful. I've yet to render a verdict on this class' balance but it certainly seems that, at the least, this is an ADVANCED class meant for skilled players who have mastered the maps.

I've been using the scientist.

First off it appears to me this class is ALL about mobility. I'm constantly transforming into jet mode for quick get aways, as well as to quickly get to teamates who need healing. You'll find yourself constantly scanning the map looking for wounded teamates off in the distance. Getting in and out of a scrum while healing your teamates without dying is key. Always remember that the heal gun is a big sign that says KILL ME when you use it.

Jet mode is also great for quick hit and run attacks, strafing runs or even sneak attacks by flying in behind a big group of enemies, changing to a bot and opening up.

As a scientist I also find myself constantly looking for enemy weapons that have been dropped to amp up my offensive capability. I haven't spent too much time yet in multiplayer but I think scientist is a very versatile role. Again, constantly being on the move and using jet mode to increase that mobility is key.

d0c_zaius said:
I have to completely disagree (especially with your Gears comparision). So far I think I've fought 3 enemy variations, each requiring little to no tactic adjustment.

Wel for me the different scenarious really keep me going.
The driving sequences, the flying sequences with the attack ship, the huge autobot coming after you throughout a chapter, the space walk
For me, I mix it up using my special abilities, my melee, transforming into the vehicle, the turrents, emp grenades, etc. It offers just enough variety in my own play style.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Rabid Wolverine said:
So what is the best verison to get.

Online multiplayer is not really a concern for me, PC or 360 version?
360, since...you'll be able to return it for credit at some point. Games controls the same, and have the same 30FPS cap.

Teknoman

Bamelin said:
I've been using the scientist.

First off it appears to me this class is ALL about mobility. I'm constantly transforming into jet mode for quick get aways, as well as to quickly get to teamates who need healing. You'll find yourself constantly scanning the map looking for wounded teamates off in the distance. Getting in and out of a scrum while healing your teamates without dying is key. Always remember that the heal gun is a big sign that says KILL ME when you use it.

Jet mode is also great for quick hit and run attacks, strafing runs or even sneak attacks by flying in behind a big group of enemies, changing to a bot and opening up.

As a scientist I also find myself constantly looking for enemy weapons that have been dropped to amp up my offensive capability. I haven't spent too much time yet in multiplayer but I think scientist is a very versatile role. Again, constantly being on the move and using jet mode to increase that mobility is key.

Playing as a medic here actually sounds awesome.

Liberty4all

Banned
Teknoman said:
Playing as a medic here actually sounds awesome.

Yeah it's alot of fun. Some of the scientist abilities are really great on maps with lots of drops and bridges ... you can knock people into the abyss pretty easily if you get the drop on hostiles .... it's awesome too when you accidentally fall off a ledge and just transform into a jet while others fall wailing to their deaths.

Scientists greatest weakness though is how fragile they are. If you get into a scrum you WILL die if you try to take a frontline role.

EzLink

Banned
So is there any incentive here to replay the campaign once its over? Do you unlock new characters or are you allowed to use different characters on missions after you complete it or anything?

Liberty4all

Banned
hxa155 said:
It plays great on PS3, stop being so paranoid :lol

It's not about how great it plays, it's more a worry if the community will be able to sustain itself. Last night at prime time there were 800 - 1000 people total across all modes on PSN playing. Half of that number was in team deathmatch, some of the other modes were barren wastelands.

I'm hoping Europe comes through when the game releases there as I know you guys love your PS3's .... also hoping that many people are still playing the campaign and that's why the numbers in mp are kinda low right now.

X-Frame

EzLink said:
So is there any incentive here to replay the campaign once its over? Do you unlock new characters or are you allowed to use different characters on missions after you complete it or anything?

I think the incentive is the ability to play the campaigns with friends co-operatively. I know I am not touching the campaign until I have 2 of my friends going through it together. Should be fun as hell.

Teknoman

X-Frame said:
I think the incentive is the ability to play the campaigns with friends co-operatively. I know I am not touching the campaign until I have 2 of my friends going through it together. Should be fun as hell.

Im not sure if I want to co-op through it first or play SP the first time through.

Maximus.

Guys the game just came out a day ago. This isn't halo or cod where people fly to their stores to buy the game and play online. If anything it may take a bit of time before a respectable amount of people play online.

6,600 online on PS3 now from what I see.

Game plays great so far, takes a while to load up initially and the initial install but after that everything looks good.

darkressurection said:
They force you to always have 2 AI dudes with you, so you are better off having friends instead.

Yeah but having your friend put the finishing blow on a boss during your first play through sucks.

The game appears to be pretty short from what I've played so I plan to tackle it on hard via co-op after finishing SP on medium by myself.

X-Frame said:
Anyone think it was a PITA to redeem your unique character codes?

Going to Gamestop.com, then back to TransformersGame.com, then signing up/logging into Activision, then back to TransformersGame.com, then redeem that Xbox.com .. WTF?

I hate companies that do this just for the sake of increasing their newsletter subscribers after we give them our e-mail.
Indeed it was quite a pain.

Teknoman

darkressurection said:
They force you to always have 2 AI dudes with you, so you are better off having friends instead.

I'll probably try to get some XBL GAF to join in from the teletraan GAF tag. Rest of my friends are still on SSFIV.

Teknoman

Space A Cobra said:
Yeah but having your friend put the finishing blow on a boss during your first play through sucks.

The game appears to be pretty short from what I've played so I plan to tackle it on hard via co-op after finishing SP on medium by myself.

Is hard unlocked after medium?

Liberty4all

Banned
KernelPanic said:
6,600 online on PS3 now from what I see.

Game plays great so far, takes a while to load up initially and the initial install but after that everything looks good.

Really almost 7 k? That's great news =)

ElRenoRaven

You know having had more time with the multiplayer I can honestly say it's fun but only when it's working.

It seems to randomly kicks every player from their games. I've noticed this because it will show 0 players in that play list. Then the lack of even the ability to pick the best connection for the host hurts like all hell. Half the time the game is unplayable due to lag. This game needs a patch to fix the online badly.

Other then that I love the multiplayer.

Finished it. I'd give it an 8. The second half is so much better then the first.

+ Lots of fan service.
+ Warpath.. KERBLAM!!
+ There's some really awesome levels later in the game. From prisons to space stations that turn out to be something else entirely.
+ Good controls.
+
Trypticon and Omega Supreme. Both encounters are awesome.

- Worst squadmate A.I. period. They're stupid shits that will get you killed all the time. Example - On the final boss, they both stood in the middle of the arena for the entire fight. They didn't move, or shoot, and the boss only targeted me.
- Enemy variety and combat can get old.
- Story doesn't end. Basically sets up for a sequel. I wish High Moon had done more.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If anyone is curious, I rented the Wii version and have some impressions. I only played it for a few minutes as Sideswipe - the first Autobot mission, so I can't comment on the rest of the game yet:

You use the nun-chuck and remote. While driving, the analog stick on the nun-chuck steers your car and the z-button accelerates. The a button fires your weapons. Although you have a reticle that follows your movement as you point the remote at the screen, you do not fire at that reticle. Instead you fire in a straight line in what ever direction your car is facing. This seems odd to me and maybe I missed something in the tutorial or there a feature/weapon you have to unlock later in the game to take advantage of the pointing to aim.

On foot you have no control of your movement. The game is essentially an "on-rails" shooter. The analog stick selects your weapons and you aim with remote and fire with B. The Z button zooms in.

The game supports co-op, but that looks to be the extent of multiplayer. You can select from the campaign or challenge mode. The game seems to be based around getting a high score. It doesn't seem bad for a game of this type, just average. If you're a fan of the genre, you should give it a try, but I was hoping for control more akin to Resident Evil 4. It seems kind of like another wasted opportunity imo. The Wii game could have been the superior version of this game had they given it the proper attention. I just don't understand why more developers haven't tried to emulate the RE4 type of gameplay on Wii. The controls are perfect for third person shooters.

Last are the graphics. They are average for a Wii game. I understand that the system isn't as powerful as the HD twins, but I wonder why they didn't go for a more cartoony look for the game. Instead it looks like a generic game you would have seen last gen on PS2. The framerate appeared to be solid from what I could tell though.

MadOdorMachine said:
If anyone is curious, I rented the Wii version and have some impressions. I only played it for a few minutes as Sideswipe - the first Autobot mission, so I can't comment on the rest of the game yet:

You use the nun-chuck and remote. While driving, the analog stick on the nun-chuck steers your car and the z-button accelerates. The a button fires your weapons. Although you have a reticle that follows your movement as you point the remote at the screen, you do not fire at that reticle. Instead you fire in a straight line in what ever direction your car is facing. This seems odd to me and maybe I missed something in the tutorial or there a feature/weapon you have to unlock later in the game to take advantage of the pointing to aim.

On foot you have no control of your movement. The game is essentially an "on-rails" shooter. The analog stick selects your weapons and you aim with remote and fire with B. The Z button zooms in.

The game supports co-op, but that looks to be the extent of multiplayer. You can select from the campaign or challenge mode. The game seems to be based around getting a high score. It doesn't seem bad for a game of this type, just average. If you're a fan of the genre, you should give it a try, but I was hoping for control more akin to Resident Evil 4. It seems kind of like another wasted opportunity imo. The Wii game could have been the superior version of this game had they given it the proper attention. I just don't understand why more developers haven't tried to emulate the RE4 type of gameplay on Wii. The controls are perfect for third person shooters.

Last are the graphics. They are average for a Wii game. I understand that the system isn't as powerful as the HD twins, but I wonder why they didn't go for a more cartoony look for the game. Instead it looks like a generic game you would have seen last gen on PS2. The framerate appeared to be solid from what I could tell though.
So do you find it fun?

Teknoman

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Finished it. I'd give it an 8. The second half is so much better then the first.

+ Lots of fan service.
+ Warpath.. KERBLAM!!
+ There's some really awesome levels later in the game. From prisons to space stations that turn out to be something else entirely.
+ Good controls.
+
Trypticon and Omega Supreme. Both encounters are awesome.

- Worst squadmate A.I. period. They're stupid shits that will get you killed all the time. Example - On the final boss, they both stood in the middle of the arena for the entire fight. They didn't move, or shoot, and the boss only targeted me.
- Enemy variety and combat can get old.
- Story doesn't end. Basically sets up for a sequel. I wish High Moon had done more.

Co-op with gaf it is then.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Classic_Gs said:
So do you find it fun?
For me personally no. For a game that's on rails, I would rather play something like Sin and Punishment, House of the Dead: Overkill or Star Fox - games that seem to really take advantage of those play mechanics. Although I haven't played them, in my opinion, games like Dead Space: Extraction, the Resident Evil: Chronicle games and now Transformers would have been better suited as third person shooters with gameplay more like Resident Evil 4. The controls in this game seemed generally unintuitive to me, but I'll admit I have a biased assessment because I went into the game wanting something else. I think I'll like the other version. From what I've seen the gameplay reminds me a lot of Metal Arms" Glitch in the System which was one of my favorite games last gen. I don't have an Xbox though so I haven't been able to play a demo yet.

Had some amazing online games earlier, PURE fucking carnage. I can see now the comparisons to unreal tournament mayhem. This game has so much going for it, it rocks. We had alot of problems with connecting and dropping and freezing though. But besides that me and my team were dominating in conquest. I have this awesome strategy as a Scientist that has worked out pretty damn well for me. It consists of flying to a capture point that is being worked on by the opposing force. I jet over there, land, deploy my shockwave and drop a turret and bail. It works wonderfully. I have also been using my Sci as a assault troop with a repair sentry, shockwave, and assault weapons, its been working real well. I have three different Sci profiles built out, one thats pure medic, one thats medium ranged, and one thats full on assaulting shit. Having a blast with the game.

Im on PS3 and I played the first chapter and loved it. Problem comes when I try todo anything online. Cant connect to any games, no one will connect to my lobbies, even friends. Ive never had ONE problem with any other game on PSN but this one is just not working. Any ideas?

Pimpbaa

Fuck the developers for making such a retardly tedious last boss (too easy to die and he takes way too goddamn long to become vulnerable). Was fucking game ruining ugh. I can't see myself playing through campaign again. Also, put checkpoints AFTER dialog. No one wants to hear the same shit over and over and over.

Have to say its a solid C, perhaps low B game. Lot of great stuff about it but the combat does get dull a few missions in, the enemy variety is awful and the AI on both sides is just poor. So much great detail in the levels and story aspects make it look like a very quality game but the combat segments felt like they needed so much more.

The MP really at least adds to the game.

Foxix Von

Pimpbaa said:
Fuck the developers for making such a retardly tedious last boss (too easy to die and he takes way too goddamn long to become vulnerable). Was fucking game ruining ugh. I can't see myself playing through campaign again. Also, put checkpoints AFTER dialog. No one wants to hear the same shit over and over and over.

Which campaign?

Foxix Von

Pimpbaa said:
End of the Autobots campaign. The
Trypticon
battle.

Ah haven't gotten to that one yet :lol just finished the second Autobot one. Looking forward to it.

Barkley's Justice said:
does this game have an ammunition problem? i can never find them shits.

I've finished the Decepticon campaign and digging into the Autobot one. Playing through on Hard and have yet to encounter a lack of ammo. Pretty consistently brimming actually but you're definitely not the first to complain about it.

The ammo is there. You're just missing it. That or wasting it :p.

gotee12

For anyone that's finished SP (or close to finishing) how big of a mistake am I making by playing out the Autobot campaign first?

mjc

gotee12 said:
For anyone that's finished SP (or close to finishing) how big of a mistake am I making by playing out the Autobot campaign first?
Supposedly the Autobot campaign is better than the Decepticon campaign, so there's that. I'm only on act four of the Deception campaign and it's been pretty good.

Liberty4all

Banned
I really like that each class in mp plays so differently you are practically playing another game.

I had been focusing on scientist then decided to give leader a try ... totally different gameplay experience and just as much fun.

Update on the PS3 for anyone wondering, I have had the multiplayer lobby freeze on my twice in two different play sessions. Also, its tough to find a game on PSN currently, and I did not have a problem finding a game with the 360 demo, btw.

Dizzle24

Tried MP on PS3. Out of 5 attempts to enter Team Deathmatch, I managed to get passed the "searching for game" twice. One round was just about over and then "Lost connection to host" popped up and I lost all my xp points!
Hope there's a patch or some shit to fix this host issue.

couple of things really hurt this game are the lack of location variety and map count.

i'm sure activision will remedy that last complaint in a hurry with overpriced map packs.

Foxix Von

Oh man Autobot campaign chapter 3 is awesome. I just noticed there's an achievement for
saving the worm.
I'm having so much trouble with it it's stupid. I don't think I can just let myself move past it I just have to save it.

Top Bottom