• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Anastasia

Cisguy here, but I recently created a petition on whitehouse.gov about promoting the awareness and equal rights for trans, nongendered, and other non-cispeople.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...erance-transgendered-and-nongendered/byNd5s7F

I would really love it if you guys could sign it and pass it around. You don't need to be American, or even eighteen years old. Anybody can sign it. It'll need 100,000 signatures before it will receive federal attention, but I believe that if we share it enough it could get there.

Thanks!

(The description is very bare-bones, I'm just hoping that President Obama will see this and recognize that non-cispeople deserve and need to be recognized and treated by cispeople as equals.)

I signed it :)

Also, all of this talk about electrolysis/laser hair removal is reminding me of how much I dislike shaving (it doesn't help that I have sensitive skin). I would love to wake up one day and not even have to worry about it.

Emitan

I signed it :)

Also, all of this talk about electrolysis/laser hair removal is reminding me of how much I dislike shaving (it doesn't help that I have sensitive skin). I would love to wake up one day and not even have to worry about it.

I have sensitive skin and never learned how to shave properly. My face sure takes a beating.

paile

Banned
Those surgeries are probably going to hurt you here. Fat cells tend to remain relatively static in number over time and just shrink or grow as you gain/lose weight. Surgery decreases the number of fat cells available, although with enough fat storage demand they can be provoked into increasing.

I have worried about the same thing. Although doesn't oestrogen encourage fat to be redistributed around the body? I dunno, I think they're coming along. The glad is growing and they're sore. That's encouraging to me.

I have sensitive skin and never learned how to shave properly. My face sure takes a beating.

I hate shaving. I still get so much rash, redness and razor bumps. I have auburn hair so I never responded to laser well at all on the face (body though was different, back and chest hair are basically gone) so I was one of those that had to rely on electrolysis exclusively.

35+ hours of it later and I'm still shaving every day. At least it's rather light and fine now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have worried about the same thing. Although doesn't oestrogen encourage fat to be redistributed around the body? I dunno, I think they're coming along. The glad is growing and they're sore. That's encouraging to me.
Like I said, there's probably hope, but you're starting with a handicap.
Have you tried wet shaving? It reduced some of the irritation for me. But even with that, shaving is an aggravating experience. :-/
As a cis-guy, my face is too sensitive for me to shave with an electronic razor. I was eventually forced into using a normal razor, but even then I have to use something like Neutrogenia shave cream so my skin doesn't freak out as much. If the blades get dull it'll start freaking out again even with the cream.

Otherwise, just remember that you're not supposed to press the razor into your skin. Hold it at the middle or end of the handle so you're letting it move up and down more freely without losing contact but also not pressing in.

iirate

Are you shaving right out of the shower, with really hot water and a quality shaving lotion? I have really sensitive skin too, and this, along with figuring out the correct amount of pressure to use on each portion of my face, has helped tons.

In other news, while talking with a trans relative of mine last night, we decided that due to some unrelated circumstances I need to socially transition sooner than expected. Going to be part time in just a few weeks, so very nervous!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
In other news, while talking with a trans relative of mine last night, we decided that due to some unrelated circumstances I need to socially transition sooner than expected. Going to be part time in just a few weeks, so very nervous!

Hooray! (Hooray?)

Similarly I should just route around HR and come out fully at work already. They were supposed to get back to me the first week of January, and it's past the first week of January....

Emitan

Are you shaving right out of the shower, with really hot water and a quality shaving lotion? I have really sensitive skin too, and this, along with figuring out the correct amount of pressure to use on each portion of my face, has helped tons.

I dont have shaving lotion. Would just just shave right out of the shower.

yeoz

Sadie, 11-Year-Old Transgender Girl, Writes Essay In Response To Obama's Inauguration Speech
check out the photos at the bottom too:
slide_276363_2016250_free.jpg
slide_276363_2016153_free.jpg

Platy

1) trans relative ? what ?

2) You never NEED to transition sonner than expected, specialy with "WE" deciding and not YOU deciding

Being nervous for a rushed thing is NOT good

iirate

1) trans relative ? what ?

2) You never NEED to transition sonner than expected, specialy with "WE" deciding and not YOU deciding

Being nervous for a rushed thing is NOT good

Trans woman, and it's me making a decision to move things up a couple of months. She brought it up as a solution to some of the problems I was having, and I agreed that it was a good idea. Believe me, she is only interested in me doing what I want to do in order to be happy and would be just as supportive if I decided not to transition at all.

EDIT: Also, it's probably important to note that this same woman(who already has experience with transition) has urged me to take my time in the past when she thought I was getting ahead of myself. Saying that we decided anything was a poor choice of words on my part - I was venting about work and a desire to get out, and one suggestion she had for dealing with my work problem included an earlier transition. This is the path I want to give a shot.

Platy

wow !

The world would be a better place if everyone had the right to be themselves, including people who have a creative gender identity and expression. Transgender people are not allowed the freedom to do things everyone else does, like go to the doctor, go to school, get a job, and even make friends.

WRITTEN BY AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD

And then people said that trans people don't belong to feminism =P

Trans woman, and it's me making a decision to move things up a couple of months. She brought it up as a solution to some of the problems I was having, and I agreed that it was a good idea. Believe me, she is only interested in me doing what I want to do in order to be happy and would be just as supportive if I decided not to transition at all.

Ok then !
But you used words commonly found on people forced to do stuff against their will xD

Platy

A friend called me to go out ... and she said "some friends from school will show up"

And now I discover that one of those "friends from school" is a dude who also studied with me.

A girl that never used male pronoums to me VERSUS A guy that never used female pronoums to me

THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY =O

The most AWKWARD battle the world has ever saw =O

A friend called me to go out ... and she said "some friends from school will show up"

And now I discover that one of those "friends from school" is a dude who also studied with me.

A girl that never used male pronoums to me VERSUS A guy that never used female pronoums to me

Have fun? Wish I could be a fly on the wall to witness the awkward.

Dead Man

Kick him right in the shins if he gets it wrong again. Real hard.

soepje

Hey all, just popping into this thread wondering if you heared of the documentary 'I am a woman now' by Michiel van Erp.

It´s about 5 first generation transgender women who had their sex change operations in the fifties - sixties done by Dr. Georges Burou. Now as old women they are looking back on their lives.

I haven´t seen it yet, but it seems like it´s a good documentary. Thought you might find it interesting too, in case you hadn´t heared of it that is :p.

Edit: I just saw it and i believe it´s well worth a watch. It really celebrates their lives, with all its up and downs. Its multilingual though, i´m not sure if it can be found with English subs.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Interesting night so far. One, I got my new phone to replace the one that fell in the toilet, so I'm installing all my apps which leads to me looking at my Dropbox photos. With the PAX East photos from early last year put right next to a pic from a month ago.... wow, yea, transition is doing something. Two, my ex-boyfriend has been taking a lot of time to try and think and find himself and all that, and now he's going to try to talk with a therapist and see if he's trans. Which isn't really a huge surprise, he's always had a strong feminine side, but it's always nice to watch close friends start to understand and accept themselves.

Sibylus

Banned
Think it's about time I break with a long track record of paranoia and self-serving hiding. I've been blessed with a gracious family, who love me and take pains to consider my feelings despite how alien this struggle is to them. I've been blessed with a secular, pluralistic society, one dominated less and less by religious or cultural reactionaries who see in us a threat to be quelled and driven to the winds. To hide amid such blessings stirs such a shame in me, a despairing at avoidance-for-avoidance's sake.

Well, I'm tired of the game. I'm trans. I have traversed a long and turbulent road to come to the point of acceptance and peace with that. I am not content to let things remain as they are, and I am no longer content to allow the perceptions of others to make me fear's subordinate. I am ready to have a sound mind and body again. I'm ready to be well.

There are too many people to thank off the top of my head for all the help they've graciously extended, be they a thatbox, a yeoz, or even a visitor from some other corner of this interweb. I remember and cherish you all, and I cheer all of you to wellness.

- Churchmouse

Amalthea

Banned
Hey all, just popping into this thread wondering if you heared of the documentary 'I am a woman now' by Michiel van Erp.

It´s about 5 first generation transgender women who had their sex change operations in the fifties - sixties done by Dr. Georges Burou. Now as old women they are looking back on their lives.

I haven´t seen it yet, but it seems like it´s a good documentary. Thought you might find it interesting too, in case you hadn´t heared of it that is :p.

Edit: I just saw it and i believe it´s well worth a watch. It really celebrates their lives, with all its up and downs. Its multilingual though, i´m not sure if it can be found with English subs.

Sounds interesting, I've always wanted to know what became of them.

Sibylus

Banned
*hugs all*

I know it's not really a huge surprise to the irc crowd, but it's still a mighty relief to let things out in the open.

I take Cheezmo as completely blindsided, though. Hi Cheezmo!

mollipen

Church - Glad you now feel comfortable enough to talk more about it in here. Of course, there was never anything wrong with not feeling comfortable doing so, but it'll be nice having you able to participate in conversations directly now!

Sibylus

Banned
Church - Glad you now feel comfortable enough to talk more about it in here. Of course, there was never anything wrong with not feeling comfortable doing so, but it'll be nice having you able to participate in conversations directly now!
I definitely agree, though in my case I'm trying to move past fearing for fear's sake. Looking forward to being more active in talking about things :)

paile

Banned
I definitely agree, though in my case I'm trying to move past fearing for fear's sake. Looking forward to being more active in talking about things :)

It helps so much. I remember a time when the thought of telling ANYONE (even mental health professionals) about my own feelings was simply inconceivable. No way, never, I thought. I basically kept things bottled up for 20 years. Now I'm transitioning at 31 and I regret not doing it years earlier but thankfully I do look a young 31 (still look in my mid 20's really).

Christine

It helps so much. I remember a time when the thought of telling ANYONE (even mental health professionals) about my own feelings was simply inconceivable. No way, never, I thought. I basically kept things bottled up for 20 years. Now I'm transitioning at 31 and I regret not doing it years earlier but thankfully I do look a young 31 (still look in my mid 20's really).

It's an incredibly lonely place, isn't it? I was certain that I could never share my secret shame with another human being; I knew without doubt that I would never be brave enough to dare it or strong enough to bear the consequences. I bottled it up and tried to bury the damn bottles, make myself forget about it or at least never, ever think about it.

I'll be 33 tomorrow, finally got real with myself this last July. Just thought I'd say hello, let you know that you're definitely not the only person here to start transitioning "late'.

I don't know if I look young for 33, but I am extremely vain, which is the next best thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When you're in your childhood and teens you really don't think about this, but the more years that tick away afterward the more painfully and pronounced it's felt:

Life is too short. Don't waste it consumed in fear.

Anastasia

Congrats Churchmouse :) It's definitely a huge relief to be more open about it. I remember the experience of talking about it with a friend; I felt terrified, and like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest. But I think that initiated a process of opening up more and more. I'm still working up the courage to be completely open about it.

In my adult years, working off of what Hito said, it all just makes sense. When I was 10 years old I'd run around with the girls, making my shirt knotted. We'd run around having fun and I never thought it was weird or something I wasn't supposed to do. I was laughed at for it and scolded by the teachers for it. I quickly stopped.

When I think about it, almost all my closet friends as a young child were girls. There were plenty of boys, but I preferred the company of girls. I'd take gymnastics class with them, because I thought it was the girly thing to do. But you know kids, I wanted to try everything. Eventually, I think I grew out of it, or I was laughed at so much, I just stopped and started gravitating towards boys.

I think the big stand out for me was the fact I wanted girl toys. I was obsessed with The Little Mermaid - I wanted to BE Ariel. I wanted Little Mermaid toys, I played with Barbies. I even got a Care Bear. Were Care Bears more leaning towards boy or girls? I always thought it was for girls. I didn't like GI Joe or Transformers, but I did love Hot Wheels and Ninja Turtles.

It's really hard to recall because of the biggest downsides of memory is that you can make up your own.

This describes a lot of my childhood; however, I didn't make anything of it at the time. I think I lost sight of those memories as I began to fulfill my expected social role, and it wasn't until recently that I was able to connect many of the dots.

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks again, guys and gals :)

I know exactly what you mean for the most part. Talking to my own family about this (let alone a psychiatrist or the like) was a completely foreign possibility for quite some time, but with depression mounting and feeling like I was fading into my own shadow... what was there to lose? I suppose I can count my blessings that I hit that point and am still only 22.

But I still wish I could have begun dealing with it earlier :x

Platy

My country aired an interview in a HUGE sunday tv show that was probably the most train wreck of transexual interviews ever with Lea T. Borderline prejudice questions, non prepared interviewer .... it almost sounded like she was saying that she regrets surgery and that she is a man.

PURE TRAIN WRECK

and I think i don't need to remember you people that today, january 29, is the oficial release date of Hyrule Historia and Art of Blizzard international Trans Visibility Day

Top Bottom