• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Platy

To anyone who is transgendered, do you think the idea of a trans bathroom could provide a safe/comfortable place for transgendered students? Of course the use of the bathroom would be optional, but it would be readily available for any trans student who doesn't feel secure using a bathroom of their intended sex just yet. Again, it's optional... so it's a choice.

As much as a segregated water fountain would provide safe place for black people in the apartheid ...

Creating a transgender bathroom would be acepting the pledge of transphobic people who don't want us in neither bathroom

I'm also curious about what it might have been like to be a trans student and have to deal with the social issues that comes with using a public bathroom. So if any of you might care to enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

My case is a little particular because the building I have classes had a history of female bathrooms being atacked by perverts, so most of the girls were already traumatized by that place.
As I entered university in the begining of the transition, when I am at THAT BUILDING I used the male bathroom for more time than the other places.... but today I enter all female bathrooms normaly and nobody even blinked at my presence

Emitan

As much as a segregated water fountain would provide safe place for black people in the apartheid ...

Creating a transgender bathroom would be acepting the pledge of transphobic people who don't want us in neither bathroom

That's unfair. Transitioning trans people can be afraid to enter either bathroom and providing a neutral one is a good thing to do.

Platy

That's unfair. Transitioning trans people can be afraid to enter either bathroom and providing a neutral one is a good thing to do.

I never said anything about a neutral bathroom.

And people are afraid because of transphobic assholes.... a transgender bathroom so that the victims of transphobia feel safe is basicaly victim blaming.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's my birthday next week and I pretty much found out I'll have to delay things again. I can't really take that I'm passing another birthday without making any significant progress and my positive attitude about things is pretty much smashed against the wall at the moment. I don't know how to deal with this right now and I can't stop crying, and all the negative things I've been shrugging off are rebounding on me hard and it's driving me nuts. I try to avoid it but just fucking follows me everywhere and gets thrown in my face and now it's coming back to fucking fill my head with this horrible shit. I really don't know how to mentally handle this anymore. I just want it to stop already.

Amalthea

Banned
It's my birthday next week and I pretty much found out I'll have to delay things again. I can't really take that I'm passing another birthday without making any significant progress and my positive attitude about things is pretty much smashed against the wall at the moment. I don't know how to deal with this right now and I can't stop crying, and all the negative things I've been shrugging off are rebounding on me hard and it's driving me nuts. I try to avoid it but just fucking follows me everywhere and gets thrown in my face and now it's coming back to fucking fill my head with this horrible shit. I really don't know how to mentally handle this anymore. I just want it to stop already.

Birthdays are always tricky for me too. It's really frustrating to face another year past wasted but you should think of it as a motivation for the next year.

Don't try to make monumental progress but whatever you feel yourself able to do at the moment. After some time the little progresses will amount into much more than you would've imagined. This and taking opportunities to move ahead towards your future without hesitating.

I was hesitating through my whole life to take the right steps but since my last b-day I started to take chances as they came and now everything went so much better in an incredibly short time. If you see a chance just take it and never forget that someday every bad mood will go away.

Deep inside you know what you want, what will make you happy. Don't be afraid to claim it for yourself.

Why do you have to delay things?

botty

Banned
I have to use the wheelchair-enabled toilet at work because of the whole toiletroom transphobia. It feels slightly discriminating but I'm not complaining though because if I'd bitch enough they'd surely let me use the female room. But the wheelie one has it's own sink and mirror for me alone so I stick with it. ;P

But for younger kids it's totally sensless. What seven years old trans could be a mass rapist?
We had swimming lessons in the 1st grade where we were together in the changing room. I felt more secure with my female friends. When we had to use the adult changing rooms starting at the 2nd grade we were seperated by sex but I was so afraid to be raped by an adult man that I always sneaked into the womens room to shower and change clothes (I was saying that I were here with my mom as an explication).

I actually mentioned wheelchair-enabled bathrooms in my other conversation on this topic. Not that trans people are handicapped, but the idea of bathrooms specifically for certain people does raise a parallel in this case, I suppose.

There's nothing a trans bathroom would solve that gender neutral bathrooms wouldn't. I'm not speaking for the abolishment of gendered bathrooms either, but the presence of both(like my university has) couldn't hurt. Creating a bathroom just for one small group of people feels like othering, no matter the intention.

I'm not a student atm, but any gendered public space or situation can create a lot of distress still. I've used women's fitting rooms, which are a little more private, but I pretty much avoid any gendered public restroom these days, even if it means holding my pee all day. Like, there's the fact that I'm gendered female the vast majority of the time, so the guy's room doesn't feel completely safe anymore, but going into the women's room and getting clocked is still terrifying. A trans guy friend of mine was on the phone crying outside of the men's room before the first time he used one. My first acid trip went REALLY bad right after encountering gendered restrooms under some unfortunate circumstances. It just... sucks.

I like the idea of a gender neutral bathroom, instead of a "trans bathroom." It could have the same function as I am thinking of (provide a safe place for trans students/people), and do it without the othering as you said.

And as for your personal experiences... this is really what I was interested in. I think there might be some general anxiety, or insecurity that trans students might have that has nothing to do with other people's actions, but more to do with the trans person's idea of what people might do. I think this especially applies to students in middle school through high school who are under a lot more stress, and are probably at their most insecure. Stepping into a gender neutral bathroom would probably be less intimidating.

My case is a little particular because the building I have classes had a history of female bathrooms being atacked by perverts, so most of the girls were already traumatized by that place.
As I entered university in the begining of the transition, when I am at THAT BUILDING I used the male bathroom for more time than the other places.... but today I enter all female bathrooms normaly and nobody even blinked at my presence

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. The transgender bathroom --or rather a gender neutral as I have learned--would be for transgendered students who want the option to have a less intimidating place to use the bathroom. The idea isn't really to separate them from other students, but to give them a comfortable place where they are at their most vulnerable. Though, maybe I should say the bathroom is the most vulnerable place for a transgendered person. I am not trans, but I am just guessing that any place where the genitals are exposed can be a really intimidating, and bathrooms are the most frequented place where this occurs.

I'm glad you mentioned transitioning trans people. There are so many different perspectives from the eyes of various trans people, that I don't see how something like a gender neutral bathroom wouldn't help some people feel safer/secure.

Are there any female-to-male trans gaffers here?

Platy

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. The transgender bathroom --or rather a gender neutral as I have learned--would be for transgendered students who want the option to have a less intimidating place to use the bathroom. The idea isn't really to separate them from other students, but to give them a comfortable place where they are at their most vulnerable. Though, maybe I should say the bathroom is the most vulnerable place for a transgendered person. I am not trans, but I am just guessing that any place where the genitals are exposed can be a really intimidating, and bathrooms are the most frequented place where this occurs.

I say this again and I will say this how many times I need it :

If you want to give a safe place for a minority you need to teach people to respect that minority.

I am ALL for unisex bathrooms ONLY, but saying a trans people of ANY passability should use any place to avoid transphobic people is like saying a rape victim should not walk at night in miniskirt if they don't want to get raped.

The problem ARE the people who makes those groups feel afraid, NOT the transgender person using their right bathroom.
If you want to make a Transgender only bathroom, I suggest you to make a Transphobic people only bathroom

Emitan

I say this again and I will say this how many times I need it :

If you want to give a safe place for a minority you need to teach people to respect that minority.

I am ALL for unisex bathrooms ONLY, but saying a trans people of ANY passability should use any place to avoid transphobic people is like saying a rape victim should not walk at night in miniskirt if they don't want to get raped.

The problem ARE the people who makes those groups feel afraid, NOT the transgender person using their right bathroom.
If you want to make a Transgender only bathroom, I suggest you to make a Transphobic people only bathroom

I don't understand your hostility towards giving people OPTIONS. No one is discussing trans people being forced into this bathroom. It's simply an option.

I think it's a matter of labels, I think platy is all for gender neutral bathrooms, but doesn't believe it should be called transgender bathroom , nor should transgender individuals be expected to only use it, which would definitely be expected if it was called that. It kinda side steps the issue. Options are great but only if they are truly options and truly a solution.

Platy

Gender neutral bathroom should be called unisex bathrooms ... or just bathrooms =P

I don't understand your hostility towards giving people OPTIONS. No one is discussing trans people being forced into this bathroom. It's simply an option.

"Why are you entering the female bathroom if you have a trans bathroom ?" option ?

It is a hostility because it is a problem.

I Acept to give transphobic people options : Or they acept trans people as PEOPLE or you create a bathrom for transphobic people.

This way trans people will not have problem going to the bathroom they need.

"Sorry but you are in the wrong bathroom"
"No, YOU are. The Transphobic bathroom is there in the back of the building"

Emitan

Gender neutral bathroom should be called unisex bathrooms ... or just bathrooms =P

"Why are you entering the female bathroom if you have a trans bathroom ?" option ?

It is a hostility because it is a problem.

I Acept to give transphobic people options : Or they acept trans people as PEOPLE or you create a bathrom for transphobic people.

This way trans people will not have problem going to the bathroom they need.

Maybe some people don't want to be uncomfortable in the bathroom? Sounds like you're forcing trans people to use a bathroom they aren't ready for.

If there was an explicitly trans bathroom I am 100% sure people would in fact say those exact words. Not to mention but anyone who enters this trans bathroom would immediately be labelled as so , which actually diminishes thier comfort or safety. A bathroom explicitly labelled trans would also be subject to much more vandalism . Also I don't think platy is forcing anything, she already said she's all for unisex bathrooms .

Platy

Maybe some people don't want to be uncomfortable in the bathroom? Sounds like you're forcing trans people to use a bathroom they aren't ready for.

They are not ready because they are in fear of retaliation.

Or do you put a bathroom that EVERYONE uses, or you do things to make the retaliation vanishes

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Birthdays are always tricky for me too. It's really frustrating to face another year past wasted but you should think of it as a motivation for the next year.

Don't try to make monumental progress but whatever you feel yourself able to do at the moment. After some time the little progresses will amount into much more than you would've imagined. This and taking opportunities to move ahead towards your future without hesitating.

I was hesitating through my whole life to take the right steps but since my last b-day I started to take chances as they came and now everything went so much better in an incredibly short time. If you see a chance just take it and never forget that someday every bad mood will go away.

Deep inside you know what you want, what will make you happy. Don't be afraid to claim it for yourself.
Yeah thanks for the advice. I've been getting set off a lot easier lately for some reason so sorry about freaking out a little. I'm going to see what I can do but I got disappointed at something else this morning and then I kinda spiraled down into my feelings about this instead.

Why do you have to delay things?
Money, it's always usually money sadly. x: I'm going to see if there is something I can do to make up some and reach my goal.

Yeah thanks for the advice. I've been getting set off a lot easier lately for some reason so sorry about freaking out a little. I'm going to see what I can do but I got disappointed at something else this morning and then I kinda spiraled down into my feelings about this instead.

Money, it's always usually money sadly. x: I'm going to see if there is something I can do to make up some and reach my goal.

Do you have an idea of how far it will set back when you'll have it done? If it's not a big set back then you shouldn't worry about it too much. It can definitely be frustrating but you can't let hard dates bother you so much. I'm assuming you've made a lot of progress from a year ago? I know that's not always consoling though.

Edit: No real reason to apologize, everyone gets in a funk from time to time and yours was an understandable one. Just don't let it control you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Do you have an idea of how far it will set back when you'll have it done? If it's not a big set back then you shouldn't worry about it too much. It can definitely be frustrating but you can't let hard dates bother you so much. I'm assuming you've made a lot of progress from a year ago? I know that's not always consoling though.

Edit: No real reason to apologize, everyone gets in a funk from time to time and yours was an understandable one. Just don't let it control you.

It'll set me back a few months sadly and I don't have a firm timeline for when I'll have things started now besides late summer or fall. I have a small wardrobe and told a few friends + sisters so not really a lot of progress.

I didn't really make a big deal out of it at first but it kinda just bursted out of me after I got upset with something else. I guess it's just my frustration surfacing. x:

botty

Banned
They are not ready because they are in fear of retaliation.

Or do you put a bathroom that EVERYONE uses, or you do things to make the retaliation vanishes

I don't think it's fair to say that they (every trans person) is not ready because of fear of retaliation. Everyone is an individual, including each and every trans gendered person. Some fears that each one has might differ from another trans gendered person's fears. The anxiety or lack of comfortability that might present itself in the face of a bathroom might not have anything to do with something extreme like retaliation. There is also inner turmoil that might bring on these feelings that even non-transgendered people have to deal with, like fear of using the bathroom in public, Mysophobia, or just a general insecurity. Add any of that to being trans or in the transition and you've got an extra load on your shoulders. I would also say that wanting to make the retaliation vanish is an interesting hope, and I am all for the expulsion of ignorance, but realistically we can't expect everyone to not be a certain way. Which is why safety and comfortability should be an option for those who might want it.

Platy

I don't think it's fair to say that they (every trans person) is not ready because of fear of retaliation. Everyone is an individual, including each and every trans gendered person. Some fears that each one has might differ from another trans gendered person's fears. The anxiety or lack of comfortability that might present itself in the face of a bathroom might not have anything to do with something extreme like retaliation. There is also inner turmoil that might bring on these feelings that even non-transgendered people have to deal with, like fear of using the bathroom in public, Mysophobia, or just a general insecurity. Add any of that to being trans or in the transition and you've got an extra load on your shoulders. I would also say that wanting to make the retaliation vanish is an interesting hope, and I am all for the expulsion of ignorance, but realistically we can't expect everyone to not be a certain way. Which is why safety and comfortability should be an option for those who might want it.

Mysophobia ... really ?
If people have problems with bathrooms in general, creating a bathroom will NOT fix the problem =P

Puting a new bathroom in a building expected to have 2 bathrooms is not realistic either =P
You have to think of a third bathrom from scratch in the building, so you need to create an idea that you need to respect people in the bathroom either way.

So the realistic option is going to one or the other bathrooms

If you are in transition you have basicaly 2 problems with bathroom
1) do I belong there ?
2) Will people yell/beat me if I enter there ?

We can't do anything about number 1, because people have to choose a bathroom unless they are agendered... but 2 can be done.
People are starting to udnerstand that you need to respect gay people as human beings ... people WILL understand that trans people need to be respected as well. And then number 2 will dissapear

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If there was an explicitly trans bathroom I am 100% sure people would in fact say those exact words. Not to mention but anyone who enters this trans bathroom would immediately be labelled as so , which actually diminishes thier comfort or safety. A bathroom explicitly labelled trans would also be subject to much more vandalism . Also I don't think platy is forcing anything, she already said she's all for unisex bathrooms .

This is exactly what I was going to say. There is no way a segregated trans bathroom would be a good idea, even if only an "option".

Junpei Heat

Has anyone here have any experience with progesterone? I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I've been getting some fuck awful mood swings. Like at worst crying 4-5 times a day, feeling hopeless, and just not wanting to do anything. A part of me wants to wait it out,it evens out and/or I get use to it or I can stop taking this shit that's making me far more emotional than I'd like. It's Medroxyprogesterone btw.

Boogiepop

Anyone have any experiences/helpful articles about HRT? A part of me really, really wants to start, but I also feel that I'm not particularly informed, so some more information would definitely be nice.

Hello yall. I am planning on transitioning in the next...few years but I don't want to really want to talk about myself yet. I need to ask something important.

So all my life I didn't really take care of my hair. And over the past year I've been wanting to grow it out and it really hasn't grown much. My mom says this is because alot of my hair is in bad health and even dead hair and to fix it I'll have cut off the dead hair (which is alot) and regrow it to make it longer. Is this true? :(

I really don't wanna cut it. Feels like forever that it took to get this long. Quite abit of my hair falls out everyday...she's probably right but I don't wanna cut it! (I'm 19 MTF if that makes a difference in hair. Not started any hormones.)

Also what would yall recommend for shaving legs, etc. I once used...I forgot the name but something I rubbed on my legs and then showered and alot of my hair came off but lets just say its very very difficult for me to shave them with a shaver for some reason. Maybe its normal, but I think I grow hair to fast or maybe its because I'm fat that its hard to shave.

Yea if you seen any of my videos you'll know that I'm fat which is another problem I'm working on ugh. I weigh about 300 and in the last couple months I got down to 275 but now back up to 280. Been eating around 2400-2600 calories a day and I know I need to cut back again. (Really cool that I lost 25 pounds while eating that much.) its just hard. I still feel hungry some days even when I eat as much as I do.

I get really nervous talking to new people so I don't know how the hell I'll ever work up the courage to talk to a therapist to get hormones. If there is even any near me. I live in Mississippi. :| Might try to get hormones some other way. I'm tired of not having them. But wanna lose weight before I start them and I'd have to worry about my legs and stomach hair constantly which is a lot for me. (Only worry about my facial hair right now.)

...I kinda rambled on sorry heh. But above all else please someone answer the dead hair question. I want my hair long but I don't want to cut it. :'(

Wow. Feels wierd posting here after reading the entire thread and only watching others for so long...

Platy

So all my life I didn't really take care of my hair. And over the past year I've been wanting to grow it out and it really hasn't grown much. My mom says this is because alot of my hair is in bad health and even dead hair and to fix it I'll have cut off the dead hair (which is alot) and regrow it to make it longer. Is this true? :(

I really don't wanna cut it. Feels like forever that it took to get this long. Quite abit of my hair falls out everyday...she's probably right but I don't wanna cut it! (I'm 19 MTF if that makes a difference in hair. Not started any hormones.)

Epilation methods for leg hair are the best.... unless you are thinking about laser xD

"dead hair" is absolutly wrong because it makes it sound that the rest of you hair is alive ... wich unless you need to get anesthesia before getting a haircut than you know it is fake.

What it is good to cut is the split ends, but unless you look like a hobo you should only cut very few because of it.

There are some theories that going through childhood and teenage years as a fat person helps a lot trans people because of how fat's relation to estrogen .... but you might want to loose it for a maximized effect since hrt is praticaly about fat distribution .. and nobody want fat in male places and this fat needs to be burned =P

Junpei Heat

Anyone have any experiences/helpful articles about HRT? A part of me really, really wants to start, but I also feel that I'm not particularly informed, so some more information would definitely be nice.

http://taimapedia.org/?title=Hormones

This is the only hormone related article I know about but it gives you the general gist of things. And experiences wise it's gonna be different for everyone, there are general milestones that tend to be common for a lot people like 2 weeks to a month your skin gets softer,2-3 months breast budding starts and so forth. I've been on hormones for a year and my smell(which apparently changes somewhat early on hormones) didn't change until January but I'm a 36A(if i measured correctly). So puberty works differently for everyone, I hope this helps.

You can also sign up for Trueselves or asktransgender on reddit. Informed constent is pretty cool too: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/932389/Trans/Stepping Forward - Informed Consent Clinics.pdf

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yea, that seems like something you would kinda know.... o_o But, yay? I barely qualify for an A cup here. :x

But on the topic of surprising bodily changes. I'll note that a little over a year ago I was 205lbs. When I got started on hormones late last February, I was 195. I figured, alright, shoot for 165-170. Be a little underweight (175 is "ideal"), but not too far, and gives me a little warning room for when my metabolism starts really slowing down.

Had an endo appointment this morning. I'm 156lbs.

...Oops. >_>

(And I've long since stopped my diet, so I seriously don't know how I'm doing this and it's a little worrying.)

Hop

I should actually watch it this time...

I still haven't seen the first one.

The first was interesting, though the crew organizing it overestimated how much they could cover. It sounds almost like this panel is all the material they couldn't cover last year.

Platy

A breast measuring discussion without GAF's Oficial breast expert ?
It feels ... wrong
Who wants to page her ? xD

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh yeah, if you're getting measured at C-D and thinking "I'm not that big!" it's because C and D aren't that big if you're properly measured. Although it sure can help with the confidence boost if you can tell people you have Ds!

http://www.bratabase.com/

Great site for bras and measuring yourself.

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/10/how-to-measure-your-bra-size-correct.html

Also, the reason why we have such an odd idea about bra sizes. This plus the fact that most stores won't even carry anything above a DD or any band size below a 32.

Remember, don't over think the numbers and letters. Think most about comfort! That's what bras are for. If you aren't comfortable, try another size.

Dai101

Banned
Oh boy!!

wnlFoVs.gif

mollipen

There isn't going to be just one panel at PAX East... there's going to be twooooo!

Here's the Press XY site with info on both of the panels for PAX East 2013. Friday 3-4pm is "Press XY Presents: We Accept You… Just Don’t Use the Bathroom", then on Sunday from 3-4pm is "Press XY Presents: Help, I think my Wizard is a Transsexual!" (my panel!).

Also, our site has ways to get caught up with all of our previous panels if you're interested (video for the first, direct audio recordings for the second two).

mollipen

NBC comedy Whitney recently did an episode where the main character's sister is transgender. I initially just caught the list 2 minutes of it, and from the final bits of conversation, was like, "Wait... was that character trans?"

Watched the whole thing, and actually thought it was a pretty good handling of the topic, considering that you're talking about a sitcom being the platform. It took some of the points seriously, and the humor of the situation came from the reactions and questions people have versus making fun of the character who is trans.

Here's the Hulu link to the episode, which will probably be useless to anyone outside of the US. The episode it called "Lost in Transition", and was Season 2 Episode 12 (if you'd like to find other ways to watch it).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Interesting, I'll give it a watch.

I was wondering if there are any good examples of a trans character in books, specifically science fiction/fantasy?

NBC comedy Whitney recently did an episode where the main character's sister is transgender. I initially just caught the list 2 minutes of it, and from the final bits of conversation, was like, "Wait... was that character trans?"

Watched the whole thing, and actually thought it was a pretty good handling of the topic, considering that you're talking about a sitcom being the platform. It took some of the points seriously, and the humor of the situation came from the reactions and questions people have versus making fun of the character who is trans.

Here's the Hulu link to the episode, which will probably be useless to anyone outside of the US. The episode it called "Lost in Transition", and was Season 2 Episode 12 (if you'd like to find other ways to watch it).

(Hello everyone, I'm new but I have been reading this thread for quite a while!)

That is hands-down the best handling of a trans person and transition that I've ever seen on a network sitcom. It was incredibly well done, and a lot of it was very familiar. I think it's great that they featured trans man, because they get so much less attention. I'm kind of wary that they handled it so well because it was someone transitioning from female to male, which is a lot less challenging to the system as it exists, and that the same writers addressing a trans woman would be less respectful, but I'll definitely take this where I can get it. Thank you for mentioning it :)

Twiforce

Good afternoon, TransGAF! You may have seen me here before. I've been following this thread and trans stuff in general for a long time now, and now I have something to ask of you, if that's alright.

I'm looking for someone to talk to about gender dysphoria and the like. My issue is that for some time, I've been trapped in this awkward grey area where no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot figure out which gender I really am. I keep going back and forth from being 100% sure I'm trans and 100% sure I'm not, and I just can't figure this out on my own.

I'd like to talk to someone about my dysphoria(?) in a PM and get it all out, rather than clog up this thread. If anyone would be willing to listen to a very confused and very frustrated maybe-trans person rant and ask you questions....I would really, really appreciate it. :p

Platy

I'd like to talk to someone about my dysphoria(?) in a PM and get it all out, rather than clog up this thread. If anyone would be willing to listen to a very confused and very frustrated maybe-trans person rant and ask you questions....I would really, really appreciate it. :p

If you want, you might PM fireside and ask for the irc channel pass ...

mollipen

IRC would definitely be the best place to go Twiforce. Private setting for talking about the issues you're facing, and you can get opinions from multiple people at the same time.

Hop

IRC would definitely be the best place to go Twiforce. Private setting for talking about the issues you're facing, and you can get opinions from multiple people at the same time.

And goofing about the rest of the time.

Hop

Wednesday is the day.

I'm feel all kind of pressure. Every time I'm looking in the mirror now I succumb to high depression. It's gotten to the point that seeing my body hair or large skin pores makes me hyperventilate. Today I was feeling hopeful but tonight put in makeup for practice and now I just feel like a man and that I will never be a woman - ever - all over again. Now I just don't want to do anything. I don't want to go to work later today, and at this point, what's the point of taking hormones? I will always be a freak.

*hug* You alright? :(

Hop

I feel much better after sleep. :)

Yay sleep! :D

So now I won't feel bad raising my topic. I've been applying to jobs lately, under my male name since that's still my legal identity. But since I'm a programmer, and I'm applying for programming jobs, honestly it'd be to my advantage to use a female identity. Plus, I'm gonna change over sooner than later anyway. But I don't know when I'd be ready or safe in doing so, in terms of checks a potential employer might do or passability or disclosure or anything. So like... do I go get my name legally changed now (already? it really feels so early...) and just go on like nothing happened, or do I stick it out in boy-mode to avoid any passability issues or any confusions that could get my resume tossed (and then come out after the offer appears)?

Top Bottom