• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

yeoz

Omg. Two months of waiting for my appointment for hormones and I spend two hours waiting for eligibility for sliding scale. Then they say the doc is busy and I'll have to reschedule. Now my appointment is set for May 8. I may have to go on DIY at this point.

FUCK.
Sorry to hear that. I will PM you.

Sibylus

Banned
Gogo Lin!

Omg. Two months of waiting for my appointment for hormones and I spend two hours waiting for eligibility for sliding scale. Then they say the doc is busy and I'll have to reschedule. Now my appointment is set for May 8. I may have to go on DIY at this point.

FUCK.
Eugh, that fucking sucks *hug*. How busy does a doctor have to be that they can't make time for an appointment? Just flipping the bird without the common decency of not wasting your time?

Sibylus

Banned
I said I was willing to wait ALL DAY and the clerk said that she [doctor] didn't want me to stick around if she couldn't fit me in just in case. I got there a full 45-50 minutes before my appointment and waited for nearly two hours before I saw anyone about eligibility for slide paying scale.

Fucking gate keeper system.
Yeah, that's ridiculous. You've only waited two months just to sit down with them, doc mysteriously can't keep the appointment, here's another appointment two more months from now. Fuck games and the people who play them.

Emitan

My sister was the first person I came out to as well. Took me a few weeks/months before I told my mom. Still haven't told my dad...

I want to transition to being an androgyne.

But the process like with hormones scares me.

I know the economy is getting better, but it still scares me. I'm afraid to move somewhere else and not be able to find a job. But where I'm at is a somewhat redneck place. Meaning I'm afraid to express my gender here.

I'm thinking of taking baby steps for right now. Like for instance get surgery to lessen my body hair growth and so forth.

I'm also kind of late to doing this sort of thing, since I'm already in my twenties. I guess it is better late than never, though. Bah, scientists are going to come up with a cure for aging anyway. ... please? I don't want to die.

Anyway, I wish I was more androgynous. And I don't really identify as either a man or woman. Hello everyone.

Emitan

I want to transition to being an androgyne.

But the process like with hormones scares me.

I know the economy is getting better, but it still scares me. I'm afraid to move somewhere else and not be able to find a job. But where I'm at is a somewhat redneck place. Meaning I'm afraid to express my gender here.

I'm thinking of taking baby steps for right now. Like for instance get surgery to lessen my body hair growth and so forth.

I'm also kind of late to doing this sort of thing, since I'm already in my twenties. I guess it is better late than never, though. Bah, scientists are going to come up with a cure for aging anyway. ... please? I don't want to die.

Anyway, I wish I was more androgynous. And I don't really identify as either a man or woman. Hello everyone.

Hide from Shidoshi :p

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I really should work out what the actual requirements for legally changing my name and gender are. I don't think I need my birth certificate, which would be nice if that's true, 'cause then I won't need to go through my parents. Still feels too early though. :/

Also I'm probably going to wear a dress to work for the first time sometime this week.

Platy

...there is no such thing.

Or do you do laser aplications to kill the hair or do you surpress the testosterone to decrease the density and make it SLIGHTLY slower grow

If you are going to surpress testosterone, you have to balance with estrogen OR you will enter menopause

Plucking hairs (wax or whatever) is the only way to make hair takes more time to grow than normal

I was looking into laser stuff.

I don't know what to do about hormones yet. I want to be androgynous. And I sure as heck don't want to grow breasts.

I do pluck hairs sometimes. And oh God, the pains. They feel.

By the way, thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Platy

I do pluck hairs sometimes. And oh God, the pains. The feel

....laser is not a walk in the park either =x

It is like the last pluck you will ever do in a LONG time (it is very hard a laser that it is forever...there is always some smal amount of zombie hair) but ... it hurts 2 times more

...there is no such thing.

Or do you do laser aplications to kill the hair or do you surpress the testosterone to decrease the density and make it SLIGHTLY slower grow

If you are going to surpress testosterone, you have to balance with estrogen OR you will enter menopause

Plucking hairs (wax or whatever) is the only way to make hair takes more time to grow than normal

Wait a minute, people who are born biologically male can enter menopause?

Platy

Wait a minute, people who are born biologically male can enter menopause?

Not sure if it is called menopause (there is one thing called andropause, wich is a dive in the production of testosterone after certain age), but the basic idea is the same.... your body don't have neither hormones and the effects are basicaly the same (specialy osteoporosis)

angelfly

Today I got these.

http://i.imgur.com/cXLBj6N.jpg

I am nervous. Still haven't taken em.

For self medding I wouldn't suggest jumping right into 100mg of spiro. Start at 25mg twice a day for a week and then move 50mg twice a day the next week. After you're sure your body isn't having any adverse reaction to it then you can move on to the usual 100mg twice a day. I also wouldn't recommend starting both spiro and E at the same time since if you are having a reaction to one of them you won't be able to figure out which one caused it. After the fourth week of spiro then you should be okay to start.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What do each of those medications specifically do? I'm assuming Estrofem is estrogen pills?

angelfly

From what I recall. Estrofem is a Estrogen-type pill while Spiro is a testosterone blocker.

Yeah, although technically spiro is a diuretic with antiandrogen side effects. I'd personally rather be taking cyproterone but it's illegal in the US and while I could still get hold of it I'd rather not take the risk.

If you're unable to get a doctor's appointment and decide to self medicate yourself, would talking to a pharmacist help, especially if you're taking other medication? Here in Canada you can do that for free in any store that has a pharmacy.

If your pharmacist hasn't talked with trans people before, they'll probably be really freaked out when you tell them how much spiro you're taking, so that might not be all that helpful. Spiro is a pretty safe drug, but cis people taking it to lower their blood pressure take, like, 25mg-50mg a day.

Platy

Yeah, although technically spiro is a diuretic with antiandrogen side effects. I'd personally rather be taking cyproterone but it's illegal in the US and while I could still get hold of it I'd rather not take the risk.

*looks at her cyproterone pills*

...why is it illegal in the USA ? o_O

*looks at her cyproterone pills*

...why is it illegal in the USA ? o_O

As far as I know it's because it's a riskier drug. It has potential to cause blood clots and there was some stuff about it possibly damaging your liver with prolonged use. Supposedly it's because it is also labeled as a birth control that caused the biggest problem since it's much higher risk of clots and such compared to other birth controls even though it's still a rare occurrence.

Platy

As far as I know it's because it's a riskier drug. It has potential to cause blood clots and there was some stuff about it possibly damaging your liver with prolonged use. Supposedly it's because it is also labeled as a birth control that caused the biggest problem since it's much higher risk of clots and such compared to other birth controls even though it's still a rare occurrence.

...birth control ?

It is anti-testosterone o_O

Well .. I guess that if your tests can't produce sperm you can have children anyway =P

USD

Went to court get my legal name changed. Declined. Having a female name will confuse and deceive the public, apparently. Like that's gonna change who I am and how I live. It just keeps me restricted as I avoid situations where I must use my legal name as much as possible.

I should have been more prepared. I need a therapist. I probably should have had a lawyer. But that doesn't make this any less frustrating. Now I have to go through it all again. And if necessary, again and again, with different judges, until it actually happens.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yea, libido goes down on hormones. I was kinda happy about that. (I say 'was' only because I'm used to it now, so it's like yea whatever.)

As for the name change, I'm waiting until I get the psychiatrist letter that I'd need for the DMV gender marker change before I go. Half because I don't think my birth certificate (which I genuinely need) would arrive before then, half because I want it as an "exhibit A" of sorts. But yea, what state/country is useful info, things vary quite dramatically within the US alone. (Though I imagine a lawyer can be a good idea no matter what, so long as it's worth the cost.)

Platy

Talking about name change ... there is a law project made by a politican to make Brazil have the same gender identity law that Argentina wich makes a people only need to give consent to have surgery, name and sex changed (the brazilian version don't have sex, but with surgery you change the sex part in no time)

I really hope it passes ... but I have serious doubt, considering how insanely catholic the senate is =/

USD

What state, USD? In Texas if you pay a transgender judge 2000 dollars you can change your name.

Not sure if tmi but...I've been on Spiro a few days and taking 25mg for now and I haven't masturbated or wanted to masturbate in days. I really like that I don't even think about it and it helps clear my head and not think of gross objectifying.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not but it is really calming to be rid of a male libido.

Georgia. Hopefully I'm a bit more fortunate the second time around.

Nudull

Banned
My brother is going to be hearing in and getting his new car this week, possibly tomorrow, so I'll be having his old car to myself. At the least, after being down from another rant from my dad the other night, I have some good news to hear. There's also going to be a local transgender conference by the Aqua foundation later in April, think I should go for it?

lexi

Banned
Went to court get my legal name changed. Declined. Having a female name will confuse and deceive the public, apparently. Like that's gonna change who I am and how I live. It just keeps me restricted as I avoid situations where I must use my legal name as much as possible.

I should have been more prepared. I need a therapist. I probably should have had a lawyer. But that doesn't make this any less frustrating. Now I have to go through it all again. And if necessary, again and again, with different judges, until it actually happens.

Goddamn the US is so backward in so many ways for a first-world country. Changing my name was the easiest part of transition.

lexi

Banned
Yes, the whole US is exactly the same as Georgia. You've figured out our secret.

I read you needed to do the whole court / judge thing in heaps of states. There was a story in another state about a conservative judge refusing a name change cause he apparently 'knows a lot about DNA'.

iirate

Yep, I'm in Texas and am scared to try without a lawyer, but money's really tight atm as it is. Boyname is completely androgynous, which helps a little, but it's not *my* name.

USD

Yep, I'm in Texas and am scared to try without a lawyer, but money's really tight atm as it is. Boyname is completely androgynous, which helps a little, but it's not *my* name.

Yeah, I will most definitely have a lawyer the next time. But by the judge's reasoning, it sounded like would have got the same ruling, regardless of who was defending me. Here's to getting a different judge next time.

Okay this is probably a really stupid question (don't laugh) but can you save your sperm before you actually get the surgery.

I know I'm only 16 and not transitioning yet, but I might one to have kids someday and I'd like them to be biologically related to me.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Okay this is probably a really stupid question (don't laugh) but can you save your sperm before you actually get the surgery.

I know I'm only 16 and not transitioning yet, but I might one to have kids someday and I'd like them to be biologically related to me.
it's not stupid because yes you can have it frozen and stored

Can someone explain to me why I still try and debate with those completely ignorant and close-minded people on the subject of being transgender?

I mean oh my god. Just oh my god. Some of the things he said, he is lucky that board is PG-13 so I couldn't call him out.

Some of the highlights of his statements included saying that gender identity disorder is a mental disease, so no one should care about it anyway, equating grs for a mtf to just "chopping the dick off", the old fashioned sexuality = gender thing (and then when I pointed out that sexuality and gender identity are two different concepts, he responded with "One is real, one isn't"), thinking that pansexual means you're sexually attracted to chimpanzees, and thinking calling someone cisgendered is like calling someone a fag.

Why do I always debate with them? I'm not going to break their thick skulls. Is it because there is a chance, however slim, that I (or someone else) can start to change their views on a subject?

iirate

Can someone explain to me why I still try and debate with those completely ignorant and close-minded people on the subject of being transgender?

I mean oh my god. Just oh my god. Some of the things he said, he is lucky that board is PG-13 so I couldn't call him out.

Some of the highlights of his statements included saying that gender identity disorder is a mental disease, so no one should care about it anyway, equating grs for a mtf to just "chopping the dick off", the old fashioned sexuality = gender thing (and then when I pointed out that sexuality and gender identity are two different concepts, he responded with "One is real, one isn't"), thinking that pansexual means you're sexually attracted to chimpanzees, and thinking calling someone cisgendered is like calling someone a fag.

Why do I always debate with them? I'm not going to break their thick skulls. Is it because there is a chance, however slim, that I (or someone else) can start to change their views on a subject?

I haven't actively debated trans stuff on GAF in a while, but when I did, I saw it as an opportunity to educate and win over fence-sitters and anyone less educated on trans issues that may be lurking, not necessarily as something that will change the mind of the person I was debating.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Hello everyone, been a while since I posted in here, I was in a bad place last time I posted in this thread and ended up having a bit of rant, but as always this community was very helpful and understanding.

Anyway, things are looking up for me, I'm still pretty confused about my gender but for the first time I'm actually talking it through with a therapist and it feels good, I mean no disrespect when I say this but I think sometimes you can get swept away in a lot of transgenders communities, it's so easy to relate to people and before you know it you feel convinced about making a serious decision before even speaking to someone professionally, so anyone reading this, go speak to your doctor first.

At the moment all I can say for sure is that I'm suffering from some form of gender identity disorder, although I know how difficult it can be for transgenders sometimes I think it would be easier to just feel like a women trapped in a mans body rather than this confusing limbo state, this is how I feel I am on a gender scale,

Male--------------------Neutral-------[]-------------Female

100% do not feel male and for some reason people calling me a man makes me feel upset, I cried when I first told my friend, and when I told my therapist, but at the same time I can't say that I really feel like a women trapped in a mans body which in some respects is annoying as it doesn't give me a clear definition in my mind and leaves me feeling confused, I definitely feel more female than male, I know that much, but not really enough to start making any serious changes, I can relate to a lot of peoples experiences in here in terms of how they felt growing up, particularly as puberty approached.

It's hard, I feel a lot better speaking to the therapist but I still feel a little lost, my therapist has suggested I experiment a bit more on expressing my femininity which I'm going to try to do, I know I suppress it more than I should as I work in a very male environment and fear 'coming out' just a little, and by 'coming out' mean just expressing myself a bit more which could mean small things like jewelry, nail varnish etc.

iirate

Start expressing feminity in small ways. Doing so won't be coming out but will help with creating a feminine presentation. Get your ears pierced if you haven't done so already, get your eyebrows waxed professionally in a feminine and womanly manner, learn to SHAPE your eyebrows in a womanly manner via brush and pencils, buy girl jeans, get a feminine haircut, grow your hair out, start working on your voice. Go to the store and spend 50-100 bucks on makeup with everything you need to Get started and get to practice. If done well most people wont recognize you're even WEARING makeup. All of this helps.

Thought I'd update with my situation. Started with 25 mg spiro for a week and had no side effects aside from very very dry lips which was fixed from an insane amount of h2o consumption.

Bumped it up to 50 mg last week. All side effects such as the above are gone. Blood pressure is amazing btw, only on Spiro at this point.

On Monday I'm bumping it to 100 mg and starting E. I'll see what E does to my body for a bit. The following week depending on what happens I'll bump the Spiro to 125.

Grats on starting HRT!

I think I shifted into femme boymode a bit too subtly for some of my coworkers. When I came out to them and announced my intention to transition, one of them asked how they would know when to switch over to my chosen name and pronouns. Another coworker immediately replied that it would "probably be when I looked different".

At this point, I wasn't wearing makeup or painting my nails, but I had my ears pierced and was wearing my hair in a high ponytail, shaping my nails, and working on my voice already. Most new employees initially gendered me correctly, and most customers either gendered me correctly or not at all. On the phone, I was gendered correctly even more often, showing that my voice was coming along nicely. I'm a manager at a pizza place, and men and women wear the same uniform.

Still, despite all of this, most established coworkers still saw a guy and were expecting a big shift in my presentation post-work transition, when most things I had done in boymode over time.

Top Bottom