• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. When it comes to therapy my girlfriend's mother said she would take me to someone if I really wanted too. The only issue with that is saying why I would need to go one when telling my parents, for insurance reasons. She said I could just say I was depressed as a cover, but if it was a specalist, it probably wouldn't work. My other problem with therapy is just...I'm not really sure what they can do to be honest. My girlfriend suggested to join the LGBT group at our local community college, but I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable with that.

Well, a good therapist and/or good LGBT (assuming they care about the T) group can both help you with finding whatever other resources you may need. They can help you take any steps you may wish to take in exploring your thoughts and feelings, along with figuring out what steps you may need to take to start with. That and sometimes just talking to someone that cares (And knows how to deal with people) can help quite a bit. And on that point I mean in general even outside of gender issues, although mostly with a licensed therapist rather than random people if possible.

Santa got everyone breast implants right?

Don't want to brag but...

Well, a good therapist and/or good LGBT (assuming they care about the T) group can both help you with finding whatever other resources you may need. They can help you take any steps you may wish to take in exploring your thoughts and feelings, along with figuring out what steps you may need to take to start with. That and sometimes just talking to someone that cares (And knows how to deal with people) can help quite a bit. And on that point I mean in general even outside of gender issues, although mostly with a licensed therapist rather than random people if possible.

A lot of gender therapists will also deal with issues such as depression and self harm since they are extremely common with transgender folk, so it's not like a "one or the other" type thing and, while I'd always recommend honesty, with a slight sleigh of hand you could easily just convince your parents that you're seeing them for depression issues instead. Since you're 19 your therapist has to keep your sessions confidential and cannot share anything with anyone without your prior consent unless you are openly threatening to harm someone or yourself.

A therapist is someone that can help you with a lot of things you may not even be aware such as anxiety that you may not necessarily root to a particular cause or things like that. They can also help you work on your transition, which things to do when and in which order and sometimes they can even get you to see someone to help you with HRT, if that's the path you pick for yourself. Depending on where you live it may no longer be mandatory even that you see a therapist but it's not a bad idea to do so, even if just a few times.

lexi

Banned
God it's pretty awesome to see myself in a full length mirror now. Bit overweight though, but that's easier to fix.

This surgery is amazing and totally worth it.

God it's pretty awesome to see myself in a full length mirror now. Bit overweight though, but that's easier to fix.

I'm so glad this turned out so well for you! I'm still not sure if bottom surgery is right for me or not, but it's it's very encouraging to hear from people that had gotten it and are happy about it. Sorta wish there was a "try before you buy" option for it.

That's so awesome lexi! I used to be a lot more on the fence about this but posts like yours really have helped me make up my mind. Do keep us posted please :D

Now all I need are the winning lottery numbers...

Feel free to brag !

...and post sexy boob pictures ;D

You're both terrible :p

As of right now I have no pictures to post but yes, Santa was generous to me this year :)

lexi

Banned
That was devastating to read. She wrote with such clarity, too. There was no apprehension. I'm not a spiteful person but I hope her parents are suffering and hopefully face at least some form of justice.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Days like this are an all-too-harsh reminder that we don't have enough trans role models in society for young trans people to look at and know that they have a chance at a future.

And that, ultimately, there isn't anything actually preventing me from trying to be that role model. If I'm lucky, and I work hard enough, I can be someone for the next Leelah to look at and see that it can get better.

...Yea, it's a bit obtuse and long-shot-y, but I've long needed to find purpose in my own life, and I've settled on this approach. We all need something to live for.

Beth Cyra

That was devastating to read. She wrote with such clarity, too. There was no apprehension. I'm not a spiteful person but I hope her parents are suffering and hopefully face at least some form of justice.

I am the same way.

I posted in the thread, and I've just had to much of the experience where the Church thing is such a church that these type of people won't see the light and some even prefer this over the child being happy.

Granted I'm biased but this made me hate her parents and wish really bad things on them.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
A lot of gender therapists will also deal with issues such as depression and self harm since they are extremely common with transgender folk, so it's not like a "one or the other" type thing and, while I'd always recommend honesty, with a slight sleigh of hand you could easily just convince your parents that you're seeing them for depression issues instead. Since you're 19 your therapist has to keep your sessions confidential and cannot share anything with anyone without your prior consent unless you are openly threatening to harm someone or yourself.

A therapist is someone that can help you with a lot of things you may not even be aware such as anxiety that you may not necessarily root to a particular cause or things like that. They can also help you work on your transition, which things to do when and in which order and sometimes they can even get you to see someone to help you with HRT, if that's the path you pick for yourself. Depending on where you live it may no longer be mandatory even that you see a therapist but it's not a bad idea to do so, even if just a few times.
I might just do it, these have been a really tough couple of weeks, I might post about it tomorrow. I'm going to edit this post later though with more info.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I am the same way.

I posted in the thread, and I've just had to much of the experience where the Church thing is such a church that these type of people won't see the light and some even prefer this over the child being happy.

Granted I'm biased but this made me hate her parents and wish really bad things on them.
The only reason I am reluctant to hate her parents is because, even though they are ignorant, they could still be nice people. I'm only saying this because my mom said almost the exact same thing to me, and even then...she's an extremely sweet lady. I don't know...I just hate that this poor girl felt that this was the only option. I mean I know I'm being hypocritical since I was just thinking last night how it would have been better on quite a few people if I had killed myself around four years ago.

Beth Cyra

The only reason I am reluctant to hate her parents is because, even though they are ignorant, they could still be nice people. I'm only saying this because my mom said almost the exact same thing to me, and even then...she's an extremely sweet lady. I don't know...I just hate that this poor girl felt that this was the only option. I mean I know I'm being hypocritical since I was just thinking last night how it would have been better on quite a few people if I had killed myself around four years ago.

That is a very smart way to go about it.

I think I m just extra bitter WaffleTaco because as I mentioned in the thread, my parents didn't just leave it at this and pretty much said id be better off dead then be who I am inside.

So I think I just have a hard time giving this issue the benefit of doubt.

So don't take my rants to serious

Dai101

Banned
And I had to really step back for a second to keep from totally losing my shit at the "Sex Change Regret" post. I mean seriously?

Yeah. Just vile disgusting uninformed and hateful shit.

Just wanna say i've a deeply respect for all and a big hug to all of you girls. Stuff like that is just disheartening

Guys I totally have sex change regret.....

Oh, sor...

Regret I wasn't able to do it sooner.

FETnYPT.gif

Oh you!

Did Real Pic January already kick off?!

Thread's up and people are gradually joining in, yeah.

I was a bit apprehensive about doing it this year since I'm not really at a point where I'm happy with my appearance and I'm not presenting female yet or anything but I figure this is me right now so why not, it's better than the mess I was last year when I went ahead and did it anyway.

lexi

Banned

I was a bit apprehensive about doing it this year since I'm not really at a point where I'm happy with my appearance and I'm not presenting female yet or anything but I figure this is me right now so why not, it's better than the mess I was last year when I went ahead and did it anyway.

You look amazing <3

Fellow Brisbanite too right? We should totally hang some time.

Beth Cyra

I think ill do it this year, I've nevertheless done it and I know I'm far from a looker as a woman but Gaf has been kind to me so i want to participate for once. Ill do it Friday after my beauty appointment.

Edit ill actually do it tonight. I just don't know how to resize my pick

mollipen

You can DM me a link to the photo you want to use, and I can resize it for you. Or, there's a variety of online photo editors you can try, but I'm spacing on the good ones.

Avatar size is 100 x 120, for anyone who doesn't know.

Y'all are gonna make me feel like I have to do it, which would mean my stopping being lazy and getting a photo that's not 2.5 years old (Since it would feel a bit weird being the girl with a photo so old).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You said you'd take a new photo ages ago Sarah! Chop chop~! I'll be doing it again like every year once I get home to take a picture of course. (I probably won't join in the thread this time though.)

Beth Cyra

You can DM me a link to the photo you want to use, and I can resize it for you. Or, there's a variety of online photo editors you can try, but I'm spacing on the good ones.

Avatar size is 100 x 120, for anyone who doesn't know.

Thank you so much! I will go ahead and do that.

After the love and support I got from Amir0X and another poster last night I feel safe on Gaf.

Beth Cyra

Well Shidoshi was super sweet and fixed me an avatar, ugh I hate how I look but eh can't hide forever right?

Thanks again Shidoshi!

I would do that, but too afraid that I'll be judged, and to afraid that I'll get piss poor responses, like I always get, so..nvm.

don't know why i bother anymore.

Beth Cyra

I would do that, but too afraid that I'll be judged, and to afraid that I'll get piss poor responses, like I always get, so..nvm.

don't know why i bother anymore.

Ice i'm sure your beautiful. I'm certanily on the uglier side, but I had to try once.

Granted I don't want to push you, but don't idiots make you think any less of yourself :)

Ice i'm sure your beautiful. I'm certanily on the uglier side, but I had to try once.

Granted I don't want to push you, but don't idiots make you think any less of yourself :)
okay, heres my gross ass picture.
Even being told by my "friends" that I'll never pass etc; so fun times for me.

Beth Cyra

okay, heres my gross ass picture.
Even being told by my "friends" that I'll never pass etc; so fun times for me.

6YP1wHg.jpg

Hey, I don't know why you would be made fun of because you aren't ugly at all. In fact with your hair done you could very much pass.

I think your far prettier then me, and anyone who dares make fun of you, or call you ugly/ not passable should shut there mouth because they are full of it.

Truly your special girl, don't let anyone get ya down!

Hey, I don't know why you would be made fun of because you aren't ugly at all. In fact with your hair done you could very much pass.

I think your far prettier then me, and anyone who dares make fun of you, or call you ugly/ not passable should shut there mouth because they are full of it.

thanks, i want to get a hair cut and my eyebrows done, but i currently work and my boss doesn't know so..little worried to do any of that atm, maybe next paycheck.

Beth Cyra

thanks, i want to get a hair cut and my eyebrows done, but i currently work and my boss doesn't know so..little worried to do any of that atm, maybe next paycheck.

Well certainly wait till your ready and comfortable.

Just know that at least in my opinion you got nothing to worry about, you can rock this and easily pull it off, and believe me I won't be the only one to say so :)

Well certainly wait till your ready and comfortable.

Just know that at least in my opinion you got nothing to worry about, you can rock this and easily pull it off, and believe me I won't be the only one to say so :)

i'm always worried about everyone elses responses. I'm ready and comfortable with it, just not comfortable with responses from people.

and thank you, i'm hoping so.

Beth Cyra

i'm always worried about everyone elses responses. I'm ready and comfortable with it, just not comfortable with responses from people.

Well let me just say, that I'd kill to look like you do sister lol. No need to say thank you, just speaking the truth and telling a lady that she is pretty.

Alchemy

This sounds exactly like me right now >.> I'm still having issues with social anxiety just calling places, like scheduling laser :x

Truly your special girl, don't let anyone get ya down!

Agree. You have an awesome foundation to go from. With a bit of work, time and hormones, you'll look really good.

Well let me just say, that I'd kill to look like you do sister lol. No need to say thank you, just speaking the truth and telling a lady that she is pretty.
Still thank you. it means a lot.
This sounds exactly like me right now >.> I'm still having issues with social anxiety just calling places, like scheduling laser :x
I get social anxiety just shopping for clothes. You can thank employees for that, been constantly judged by employees of Garage (<3), Value Village, Goodwill and Winners.
Agree. You have an awesome foundation to go from. With a bit of work, time and hormones, you'll look really good.
Thank you! Never been told that, just been told I have high cheek bones, so I have that going for me.

Alchemy

I get social anxiety just shopping for clothes. You can thank employees for that, been constantly judged by employees of Garage (<3), Value Village, Goodwill and Winners.

Oh yeah, I had to buy a bra online because I'm super afraid of buying one in person. Fingers crossed my measurements are good :x

Hell, I had problems just buying male skinny jeans. Definitely have to work on that.

Dai101

Banned
Ice
Beth
Box'o'Bunnies
lexi
Amalthea

You all girls look gorgeous.

I'd also like to send a big hug to all and wish a Happy New Year. That all your hopes and dreams come true and known that you'll have an ally and supporter. Hope you all the best.

Top Bottom