• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Oh yeah, I had to buy a bra online because I'm super afraid of buying one in person. Fingers crossed my measurements are good :x

Hell, I had problems just buying male skinny jeans. Definitely have to work on that.
I've always worn skinny jeans/jeggings, so its never been hard for me to buy those d:
Still get looks and laughs out in public for my choice in clothing. I try to ignore them, but its hard.

Bras though thats a different story, scared for my first professional measurement.
Ice
Beth
Box'o'Bunnies
lexi
Amalthea

You all girls look gorgeous.

I'd also like to send a big hug to all and wish a Happy New Year. That all your hopes and dreams come true and known that you'll have an ally and supporter. Hope you all the best.

Thank you! You're too kind.

Beth Cyra

Ice
Beth
Box'o'Bunnies
lexi
Amalthea

I'd also like to send a big hug to all and wish a Happy New Year. That all your hopes and dreams come true and known that you'll have an ally and supporter. Hope you all the best.

Thanks Dail, ya are a real sweetheart. Happy New year and may it be blessed and the best year yet for you!

Sibylus

Banned
Hopping onto this realpic january thing for once. Top too dark to show off my curls, but WHATEVER THIS IS BUTTS LET'S ROCK

Oh yeah, I had to buy a bra online because I'm super afraid of buying one in person. Fingers crossed my measurements are good :x

Hell, I had problems just buying male skinny jeans. Definitely have to work on that.

Meh, most "professional fitters" are shams. They use the "standard" 3 point measurements (top, over, under) which is stupidly inaccurate.

Honestly I just got a bra that fits okay and that's not too expensive because I know my body is still changing and I'm not going to drop the serious money needed for a serious bra at this stage, specially with getting BA and all.

Hopping onto this realpic january thing for once. Top too dark to show off my curls, but WHATEVER THIS IS BUTTS LET'S ROCK

Why hello there!

happppyyyyy new year everyonne i ghopee you're aving a wonderfuullllll night <3

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Beth Cyra

I'm jealous of your hair. The length and thinkness looks great, though I can't see much curls.

Dang ya'll ladies are all pretty up in here!

Happy new year from the west coast!

Alchemy

Meh, most "professional fitters" are shams. They use the "standard" 3 point measurements (top, over, under) which is stupidly inaccurate.

Honestly I just got a bra that fits okay and that's not too expensive because I know my body is still changing and I'm not going to drop the serious money needed for a serious bra at this stage, specially with getting BA and all.

Yeah, I'm going with cheapish bras because I'm hoping for a lot more growth, hopefully not stuck at an A cup.

Is there an alternative to the three point measurements? Thats what I did at home.

Yeah, I'm going with cheapish bras because I'm hoping for a lot more growth, hopefully not stuck at an A cup.

Is there an alternative to the three point measurements? Thats what I did at home.

Absolutely there is. Now remember that most bras will be tailored to cis girls and we trans girls tend to have really shallow breasts, even if we share the same size as a cis girl our breasts will be "smaller" because ours are not as full usually. (YMMV obviously)

I did this: http://i.imgur.com/k6P94Bt.png from the ABraThatFits sub reddit and then followed the steps to adapt it to our particular case

Bra Fitting for Trans Women
When we searched the web for resources on bra fitting for trans women, we found an astonishing lack of information. The few guides available suggest outdated methods of adding inches to the band size and these methods overestimate band size and underestimate cup size for both trans and cis women.
We referenced previous fit/measurement checks from trans women and found that the ABTF methods overestimate cup size by two cups on average. We believe this overestimation is due to differences betwee the ribcages of trans and cis women. Specifically, trans women's ribcages tend to be more ‘V’ shaped, which means that more of the bust measurement is taken up by the ribcage than breasts.
Based on previous fit/measurement checks, we determined the most accurate way to calculate bra size is to use a soft measuring tape and the visual fitting guide to measure:
Snug Underbust (#1)
Tight/Break the Tape (BTT) Underbust (#2) (optional)
Laying Bust (#5)
Using these measurements, determine the difference in your underbust and standing bust:
Difference = Laying Bust - Snug Underbust
This difference is used to determine your cup size, and your snug underbust is your band measurement. Many trans women tend to have shallow breasts (e.g., the tissue is spread out rather than projected) so we recommend checking out the Shallow Breast Guide.
(Placeholder for cup-size table)
If your snug underbust is an odd number, then round to the nearest even number. Sometimes when there is a large difference between the snug underbust and BTT underbust we recommend women size down in the band (e.g., your snug underbust measures 33.5” and your BTT underbust measures 30.5”, we may recommend trying a 32 band instead of a 34). That said, trans women may have similar fit issues to muscular women (see this blog post) which means that you may want a band close to or possibly larger than your snug underbust measurement. If you have a lot of squish (a large difference between Snug and Tight Underbust measurements), then you may be more comfortable (or need to) size down to a smaller band size.
Note: If your snug underbust is 36” or more, please make a measurement check post on /r/ABraThatFits for more individualized help since our standard guide can yield inaccurate results.
The bra size that you calculate should be your proper size (or close to it). Sometimes bra fitting is more art than science so you may need to go up/down in cup and band size. This may vary depending on the bra’s brand and model (e.g., most women go up a cup size in Cleo Juna). Knowing how to troubleshoot will help you determine if you need to move up/down cup size(s).

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/comments/1q2j3q/looking_for_feedback_on_the_trans_guide_warning/

Alchemy

Step into my boob reconfiguration device... I will take a fee though just so you know...

Boobs are amazing! I can't imagine my life without them and soon I'll have the set i want :D

Grats on the future boobs :D

Yeah, even the small ones I have now are pretty fun. Will be interesting when I can't hide them anymore >.>

Your hair is seriously awesome Bunnies. Wish I could do styles like that with mine.

Thank you~

My hair is the one thing that I usually feel "well, at least it's not completely terrible" about (as well as my eyes , maybe). I can't wait til it grows out some more.

i'm always worried about everyone elses responses. I'm ready and comfortable with it, just not comfortable with responses from people.

This sounds exactly like me right now >.> I'm still having issues with social anxiety just calling places, like scheduling laser :x

I was like this for a long time. I've found that the necessity of doing things has helped push me out of that (dis)comfort zone to do what I have to.

Failing that, alcohol helps.

Ice
Beth
Box'o'Bunnies
lexi
Amalthea

Thanks. Happy new year to you, too.

Beth Cyra

I don't have the guts to make this my avatar... but here is a selfie: http://imgur.com/4WmrTk2

Gross stubble, need to schedule my damn laser. Now to run away, sleep will protect me >.<

I love the wave in your hair, and your eye brows.

I got to say one thing I'm super jealous of is everyone has normal eyes lol. I have very deep set eyes and it makes passing such a pain the butt!

No protection needed. I'm needing some laser as well, I have a full beard and have to shave with a razor daily and use a ton of cover up.

lexi

Banned
This might be a nice time to remind everyone that while this thread and mostly GAF at large is a safe space -- across the gulf of the internet exist minds of immeasurable sociopathy, their ignorance as vast as time itself. They regard this forum with envious eyes, and slowly and surely make their plans against us.

Amalthea

Banned
Ice
Beth
Box'o'Bunnies
lexi
Amalthea

Thanks Dai, a Happy New Year to you and everyone else here too!

I love the wave in your hair, and your eye brows.

I got to say one thing I'm super jealous of is everyone has normal eyes lol. I have very deep set eyes and it makes passing such a pain the butt!

No protection needed. I'm needing some laser as well, I have a full beard and have to shave with a razor daily and use a ton of cover up.

Have you tried to get some white eyeliner and doing the inner corners of your eyes white and then using black for the rest of your eyes? It really makes your eyes pop out, at least it does for me.

This might be a nice time to remind everyone that while this thread and mostly GAF at large is a safe space -- across the gulf of the internet exist minds of immeasurable sociopathy, their ignorance as vast as time itself. They regard this forum with envious eyes, and slowly and surely make their plans against us.

Very True!
While we're all friends here and stuff remember that this is still a place on the Internet where anyone can visit, including bigots and assholes. Please be mindful of what you girls share okay? Not trying to scare anyone off or anything but please be safe everyone!

Alchemy

Very True!
While we're all friends here and stuff remember that this is still a place on the Internet where anyone can visit, including bigots and assholes. Please be mindful of what you girls share okay? Not trying to scare anyone off or anything but please be safe everyone!

Who is out to get me :x

Beth Cyra

Have you tried to get some white eyeliner and doing the inner corners of your eyes white and then using black for the rest of your eyes? It really makes your eyes pop out, at least it does for me.

Very True!
I'm trying a bunch of things.

It's just hard because no matter what I do I just feel ugly lol. Growing up with it makes it hard to shake up.

I've started going to a beauty salon once a month to hopefully feel a bit better about myself.

now i'm even more worried :/

Cetra

Lexi speaks the truth, sadly. Last big bit of "Luls" that hit posters in this thread basically put me off of posting anywhere on the net.

mollipen

Seriously&#8212;the internet is the internet. The moment something goes onto it, you should expect that it could then exist out there for eternity. So if you're not comfortable sharing things like photos or personal details, don't do it.

The best choices are either to hide away as much of yourself as you can, or put it out there and decide you aren't going to care.

Hey Transgaf, just wanted to say I have a lot of respect for you all!

I was raised in a conservative Mormon household (a faith that I no longer identify with). No need to get into that, but I'm sure you all understand what that means in terms of what I was taught to believe in terms of transgender people.

That all changed after working with a FtM transgender guy. He eventually became my supervisor, and I always liked and respected him. (One of the best supervisors I've had.) I didn't even know he was transgender for about a year. When I found it it didn't even matter, since I already liked and respected him as a person. Completely changed my viewpoint and respect for transgender people.

You all are helping change prejudices just by being you.

So, I have been told that I've been pushed forward a month. Should be starting next month!!

Blood taken next week, next appointment 2 weeks after.

Platy

i haven't posted in this thread in a while, but i think 2015 is gonna be the year im gonna move forward

hopefully

svqAmHv.png

Just be carefull with your back xD

Had my blood taken today. Didn't cry for the first time ever when it comes to needles.

Felt like I was about to break my girlfriends hand from squeezing though.

Meesh

I stumbled in here from drunk GAF, but that doesn't mean my post is any less credible when I say you're all beautiful dammit. Your stories are inspiring and motivational...I wish I had the courage to change my life like many of you are :)

Top Bottom