• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Cetra

shintoki said:
What is transgender? Now if you are going to explain it. Explain it to like someone who is 5 years old. I can't seem to grasp concepts like this. No big words, or hard explanations please.

In it's simplest terms, a person who is transgender is one who has an unshakable inner need to change genders. Be it from male to female or female to male.

edit: Just saw you added a bit to your post.

shintoki said:
This and Dyslexia have been used since I'm a kid to describe my "conditions"(>_>)...and I understand neither at all.

Was this a diagnosis given by a doctor and just wasn't explained? I'm not quite sure I'm following.

shintoki said:
What is transgender? Now if you are going to explain it. Explain it to like someone who is 5 years old.

I'll have a go.

"Transgender" is a word that can mean many things. It can mean:

- you were born with a boy's body and a girl's brain (a type of transgender called "transsexual")

- you like to wear women's clothes even though you are a man and want to keep being a man (a type of transgender called a "crossdresser" or "transvestite")

- you don't feel you are male OR female, but something else (you are "androgynous" or "third gender")

- you feel you are partly male, and partly female ("two-spirited")

There are other types of transgender too, but those are the ones that spring to my mind. And of course there are people with boy's brains and girl's bodies. I've just tried to keep it simple for the examples by dealing with people who start out with male bodies.

You've seriously been labelled transgender in a diagnosis and you don't know what it means? Are you sure that was the word used?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
tehAinsley said:
And the award to most hilarious play on words post in the thread goes to... :lol :lol

I always liked my "a little nutty" Chip & Dale hoodie.... :lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
tehAinsley said:
And the award to most hilarious play on words post in the thread goes to... :lol :lol

I really don't intend for my language to be read in such a way but now that you mentioned good chuckle indeed. I was being more serious in tone just a little cheeky as few tmembers know about me, but haven't said one word yet.

Cetra

LCGeek said:
I really don't intend for my language to be read in such a way but now that you mentioned good chuckle indeed. I was being more serious in tone just a little cheeky as few tmembers know about me, but haven't said one word yet.

I see, and I apologize. I truly hope I didn't offend. ^^;

Chalk it up to the noted insanity along with the lack of sleep and being cracked out on Red Bull.

LCGeek

formerly sane
tehAinsley said:
I see, and I apologize. I truly hope I didn't offend. ^^;

Chalk it up to the noted insanity along with the lack of sleep and being cracked out on Red Bull.

Not at all this place rarely offends or gets me to that point it's all smiles, laughing, and toking with me for the most part. I can handle insanity but edge Red Bell and other stimulants can bring make it unbearable for me it should always be naturally enjoyed if possible.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
tehAinsley said:
In it's simplest terms, a person who is transgender is one who has an unshakable inner need to change genders. Be it from male to female or female to male.

edit: Just saw you added a bit to your post.

Was this a diagnosis given by a doctor and just wasn't explained? I'm not quite sure I'm following.

So if I want to be more of a girl? What would that mean? I mean I don't want to be like all of a girl. I don't think I want to lose what is done there. But I really want allot more femininely features(Like the slimmer arms), to wear more articles of female clothing on a daily basis, etc. Or do I have to want to get rid of all the guy parts? I do like it more when people treat me more like a girl than a guy, but I really don't want to lose the guy parts either. I like being a guy too. I want to be a bit more of a girl also.

I know I'm sounding offensive and ignorant now, because I am. I completely admit it that I don't have any rationale over the idea. Allot of this is thanks to some lovely parenting.

I haven't been Diagnosis for any sort of Gender thing. It was my High School's psychologist that probed around the issue. I use to have to see him on a monthly basis since I supposedly had issues(The "conditions" I was referring to, Reading over it, I can see how it was miss leading). I never really took his word for a grain, but he did seem set on me having a gender confusion. :lol Dyslexia on the other hand I did have to go to a clinic for and get tested. It was explained, but the problem is that it sounds like people are just fucking with me when they do. So I just nod and agree to get it over with. I did ask my normal doctor about this before when I go in for my Thyroid check ups. It elicited the same response I get when they describe Dyslexia to me. I am an extremely dense and dumb creature :lol

Gaborn

shintoki said:
So if I want to be more of a girl? What would that mean? I mean I don't want to be like all of a girl. I don't think I want to lose what is done there. But I really want allot more femininely features(Like the slimmer arms), to wear more articles of female clothing on a daily basis, etc. Or do I have to want to get rid of all the guy parts? I do like it more when people treat me more like a girl than a guy, but I really don't want to lose the guy parts either. I like being a guy too. I want to be a bit more of a girl also.

I know I'm sounding offensive and ignorant now, because I am. I completely admit it that I don't have any rationale over the idea. Allot of this is thanks to some lovely parenting.

I haven't been Diagnosis for any sort of Gender thing. It was my High School's psychologist that probed around the issue. I use to have to see him on a monthly basis since I supposedly had issues(The "conditions" I was referring to, Reading over it, I can see how it was miss leading). I never really took his word for a grain, but he did seem set on me having a gender confusion. :lol Dyslexia on the other hand I did have to go to a clinic for and get tested. It was explained, but the problem is that it sounds like people are just fucking with me when they do. So I just nod and agree to get it over with. I did ask my normal doctor about this before when I go in for my Thyroid check ups. It elicited the same response I get when they describe Dyslexia to me.

Honestly? Just be yourself. As Dr. Seuss once said, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." No one should be telling you how you feel about your gender, you should be telling THEM how it feels to you. You SHOULD be aware that there are options for you, from anti-testosterones to estrogen to full on HRT, but none of those should be forced on you either. You just have to decide what will make you the happiest you can be in your life and try to make that happen.

Cetra

Gaborn said:
Honestly? Just be yourself. As Dr. Seuss once said, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." No one should be telling you how you feel about your gender, you should be telling THEM how it feels to you. You SHOULD be aware that there are options for you, from anti-testosterones to estrogen to full on HRT, but none of those should be forced on you either. You just have to decide what will make you the happiest you can be in your life and try to make that happen.

This is the best advice I could give, said better than I could to boot! I would definitely seek out a therapist to help you sort through these feelings as well. Not so much so that they can tell you whats going on with you, but rather help you to sort yourself out and see if there's anything there to be concerned about.

You know I've been thinking about shidoshi's dilemma for awhile now, and what I would do in such a situation.

I don't think I could stay in a sexual relationship with a partner that did go through with a transition.

A close relationship? Yes.

Would I support said partner if they decided to go through with it? Wholeheartedly, yes.

But could I continue staying in a sexual relationship with them? I don't think I could. I'm simply not attracted that way.

Now, if I discovered that my partner had already gone through with a transition before I met them, it might be a "wow, um, OK" at first, but I know I'd be fine with it.

Jamie xxoo said:
I just noticed his thread (I don't OT much, or post much at all for that matter).

*adorableness*

Just occurred to me some GAF posters may have known me from before I transitioned in real life. If you did, um... surprise??

Edit: Actually, I probably don't need to broadcast my YouTube account here :p

Welcome to the thread! =3 I like you already!

Van Owen

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
But could I continue staying in a sexual relationship with them? I don't think I could. I'm simply not attracted that way.

Now, if I discovered that my partner had already gone through with a transition before I met them, it might be a "wow, um, OK" at first, but I know I'd be fine with it.

I'm not sure how having them go through the transition before you met would effect your sexual attraction (assuming you're talking about being attracted to men).

Have you seen female to male genital modifications? The results can be pretty horrific.

Nikashi

Banned
Van Owen said:
I'm not sure how having them go through the transition before you met would effect your sexual attraction (assuming you're talking about being attracted to men).

Have you seen female to male genital modifications? The results can be pretty horrific.

I think you're also putting a little too much emphasis on a single part to define sexuality. I mean, when I first see a woman I find attractive, I'm not thinking "WOW I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER VAGINA", I'm seeing what I find to be the pleasant aspects of her femininity in general, and that's what I'd be attracted to, not simply the fact that she has a particular piece of anatomy. (That's why people who freak out when they find out someone they were attracted to is transgendered/transsexual amuses me. You were attracted to the FEMININITY, not the underlying male anatomy.)

Conversely, if I was a woman who was attracted to men, if my husband began to lose his male traits in general, it would likely be a lot harder to be attracted to them on a STRICTLY emotional level when there was a physical level previously, and I might even find said traits repulsive in a sexual partner.

Regardless, it's a very difficult situation for shidoshi, and I hope she knows that our support is with her.

P.S. Cute glasses, Jamie :)

lexi

Banned
Well this has been a bunch of brisk activity while I slept, two more sisters appearing at that!

Hi all! Jamie you look amazing!

lexi

Banned
Btw LC, when I made the thread I thought all we would get is periodic banter with you and optimiss being the only regular posters and shidoshi being all impartial and adding to the discussion :p But I knew you two as the most prominent TGaffers.

It's kind of funny it was directly inverse of what I thought. We had heaps of girls hiding!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
lexi said:
Alfarif, I'm pretty sure you now know more about transgender issues than anybody here, we should be asking YOU the questions!

No I don't. What the heck? You're living it! I'm just a squirrel in your world.

Pretty much this. More seriously though, I'm fairly certain no such documentary exists because no one would want to watch it (except you apparently ). If you want to know more about the surgeries, you'll definitely have to read. While you're at it, you might then want to start reading the essays of Sandy Stone and the like. Then I'm positive you'll know more than us.

I'm on it! No, in all seriousness, when I want to know something badly, I research the hell out of it. That's just the kind of person I am.

Jamie xxoo said:
Just occurred to me some GAF posters may have known me from before I transitioned in real life. If you did, um... surprise??

Cute. Digging the glasses! And welcome! Wait, why am I welcoming people? I'm a god damn question mark.

tehAinsley said:
No wai! :eek:

I've been watching your vlog for like, EVAR.

*bows down*

Welcome to the TransGAF thread of win and pie!

Hey, can you PM it? Or Jamie... or someone... I want to see it.

LCGeekj said:
That's my kind of member.

Hello Tgaf just a friendly m2f letting her nutty shine in just a little bit.

Was wondering when you would show up.

Jamie xxoo said:
- you feel you are partly male, and partly female ("two-spirited")

Oh crap... I think this might be what I am. Maybe that's why I feel such an affinity towards "female" ideas, and can see the world with a female eye? Yeah, okay, I'm just talking about my ass on this one but, but maybe that's true?

Dragona Akehi said:
You know I've been thinking about shidoshi's dilemma for awhile now, and what I would do in such a situation.

I don't think I could stay in a sexual relationship with a partner that did go through with a transition.

A close relationship? Yes.

Would I support said partner if they decided to go through with it? Wholeheartedly, yes.

I could understand this. I think everyone understands it, too. I think her wife is being very hostile, though.

lexi said:
Well this has been a bunch of brisk activity while I slept, two more sisters appearing at that!

Hi all! Jamie you look amazing!

Yeah, I wake up and had to do my typical big post text dump to answer everything so I don't have 100+ more posts floating around in here. Lord knows I don't need anymore than I already have.

lexi said:
It didn't take much to get you out. :p

Transgaf: 'caus---

I'm TG!!!!

:lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tehAinsley said:
And Wendi, every time I see that avatar I OD on cute. xD
i know, right? :) Such a cute pic.. i dont think ive ever had a different avatar here. ive thought about other ones but i cant leave kitty behind.. i just cant do it :lol

lexi

Banned
The Velvet Underground had a few. Lady Godiva's Operation, Candy Says are all that's coming to mind.

Lou Reed then had Walk on the Wild Side, does that count?

lexi said:
Btw LC, when I made the thread I thought all we would get is periodic banter with you and optimiss being the only regular posters and shidoshi being all impartial and adding to the discussion :p But I knew you two as the most prominent TGaffers.

It's kind of funny it was directly inverse of what I thought. We had heaps of girls hiding!
Yeah, you three were only ones I knew of too.

Alfarif said:
Oh crap... I think this might be what I am. Maybe that's why I feel such an affinity towards "female" ideas, and can see the world with a female eye? Yeah, okay, I'm just talking about my ass on this one but, but maybe that's true?
Ooh, does this mean we can replace your question mark with a purple or a half blue/pink person? :D

Alfarif said:
Yeah, I wake up and had to do my typical big post text dump to answer everything so I don't have 100+ more posts floating around in here. Lord knows I don't need anymore than I already have.
Aw, but we love you.

Fox the Sly said:
Any other songs about transsexualism that come to mind? That's about the only one I know of.
Most songs always seem to be more about transvestitism rather than transsexualism, but other than what lexi said the most popular are probably Lola by The Kinks and Dude (Looks Like A Lady) by Aerosmith. Garbage also has some others like Androgyny and the second verse to Bleed Like Me.

Chris is all dressed up and acting coy
Painted like a brand new Christmas toy
He's trying to figure out if he's a girl or he's a boy
He says:
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

Also, I really have no idea what they're actually about, but I like to think Sombody Told Me by The Killers and Girls and Boys by Blur are TG related. :)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Alfarif said:
Oh, the storm is coming.... it is coming. :lol :lol

What do you think of DADT in relation to TGs?

I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Uniforms would definitely be an issue. Unlike gays in the military, there would be operational impact, so it's not a clear-cut case.

Definitely no in uniform or on deployment.

Now, crossdressing is ok out of uniform though, but it is already (just not at Keesler AFB)

Sorry if that offends or disappoints, but there are definite issues with transgender that aren't present with DADT. Off the top of my head, deployment status, medications needed (you have to continue hormones after transitioning right?), bathrooms on deployment, etc.

Fox the Sly

Thanks, that interesting. The Aerosmith one should have immediately come to mind given how much I've heard it over the years. :lol

mollipen

I have a little catching up to do here, but wanted to say "welcome to the thread" to LCGeek and Jamie xxoo... of course, Jamie makes me want to throw my computer out the window in rage over how freakin' adorable she is. *laughs* Especially since that's very close to the style of glasses I can't wait to wear if I transition.

Also, Jamie, definitely drop me a PM if you would so that I too can check out your Youtube stuff.

lexi

Banned
shidoshi said:
I have a little catching up to do here, but wanted to say "welcome to the thread" to LCGeek and Jamie xxoo... of course, Jamie makes me want to throw my computer out the window in rage over how freakin' adorable she is. *laughs* Especially since that's very close to the style of glasses I can't wait to wear if I transition.

Also, Jamie, definitely drop me a PM if you would so that I too can check out your Youtube stuff.
She had that effect on me too :p. I got really depressed seeing her 5 months on hormones video; I'm coming up to 3 months now and look nowhere near as feminine.

lexi said:
She had that effect on me too :p. I got really depressed seeing her 5 months on hormones video; I'm coming up to 3 months now and look nowhere near as feminine.

Geez if you're going to put yourself down by comparison at least do it properly. I'm pretty sure there's a Megan Fox thread around here somewhere (filled with guys saying she's ugly due to slightly imperfect thumbs.)

Alfarif

NewGamePlus said:
Ooh, does this mean we can replace your question mark with a purple or a half blue/pink person? :D

Sure, but my wife would kill you.

Also, I really have no idea what they're actually about, but I like to think Sombody Told Me by The Killers and Girls and Boys by Blur are TG related. :)

This is going to sound really stupid of me but, for the longest time, I thought the singer of Placebo was a girl. Today, my wife and I were discussing how some TG could pass without doing any facial surgery, because (from personal observation) most people need things like facial hair or a thickening or slimming of the face to tell if they are male or female. Add alittle eyeliner, some lipstick, and it becomes even more ambigous. We've seen, at least in our personal experience, that there aren't that many extremes of masculinity and femininity. The singer of Placebo seems to fall into the middle ground where, if he's wearing make up and has long hair, he looks feminine, and if he cuts it and grows a goatee, he's masculine. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Alfarif

Gaborn said:
If she saw how often you posted in this thread she might already have suspicions :lol

Oh, she knows. Half the time, when I'm not at work, she's sitting close by. We read GAF together. :lol

Jamie xxoo said:
Geez if you're going to put yourself down by comparison at least do it properly. I'm pretty sure there's a Megan Fox thread around here somewhere (filled with guys saying she's ugly due to slightly imperfect thumbs.)

But have you SEEN her thumbs? Holy moly, those things are HUGE. Bigger than mine... then again, I'm a delicate flower, so whatever.

Alfarif

No. She's tried to make one twice and was never approved among all of the juniors. We think it's because we're on a router with one IP address. I don't know if that has any bearing on anything. Otherwise, she would be coming behind me and telling me that I shouldn't post her pictures all the time in the girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife picture thread.

Yay! I'm finally seeing my doctor on Saturday! I'm so excited I'm having trouble forming the rest of this sentence!
No, really that took me a minute

Gaborn

Alfarif said:
No. She's tried to make one twice and was never approved among all of the juniors. We think it's because we're on a router with one IP address. I don't know if that has any bearing on anything. Otherwise, she would be coming behind me and telling me that I shouldn't post her pictures all the time in the girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife picture thread.

:lol :lol :lol :lol Probably for the best then.

NewGamePlus - *hugz* CONGRATULATIONS :D

Cetra

NewGamePlus said:
Yay! I'm finally seeing my doctor on Saturday! I'm so excited I'm having trouble forming the rest of this sentence!

Yay! Thats awesome! *squee*:D

Alfarif

NewGamePlus said:

Gorilla and Shark high five!

GRATS!!! I'm so happy for you!

Gaborn said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol Probably for the best then.

Haha, she does browse, though, without me. There's a bunch of graphic artist/photography threads I'm subscribed to that I've never even been in. She really needs her own account. Hah.

NewGamePlus said:

Congrats! I hope it all goes swimmingly!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
NewGamePlus said:
Yay! Congrats! :D

Alfarif said:
I could understand this. I think everyone understands it, too. I think her wife is being very hostile, though.

Oh I agree very much so too, it is definitely not fair how her wife is treating her. But even as someone who is very pro-LGBT if it were to personally happen to me, that my partner wanted to transition...it begins to get really murky. Sexual attraction is one of those strange unfathomables.

Also it isn't the junk that matters, it is the overall attraction of a person. I am aware of the difficulties of FTM, but there are always ways to get around those things...

AkuMifune

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Oh I agree very much so too, it is definitely not fair how her wife is treating her. But even as someone who is very pro-LGBT if it were to personally happen to me, that my partner wanted to transition...it begins to get really murky. Sexual attraction is one of those strange unfathomables.

Ain't that the truth.

Sexual attraction is one of those strange unfathomables.

except for bisexuals. they're just whores.

note: not responding directly to dragona, just the consensus that I get from the LGBT community.

blame space said:
except for bisexuals. they're just whores.

note: not responding directly to dragona, just the consensus that I get from the LGBT community.

Gods, if everyone were 100% bisexual, life would be so much better for everyone. And sexier too!

Top Bottom