• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Kaywee

I normally don't contribute to this thread but felt compelled to comment on the above statement.

I'm straight and I strongly believe that everyone is free to choose their sexual orientation but what blows my mind is your statement.

Where I work, not only is racial and gender discrimination training mandatory, but we have a bi-yearly event where the company's officially endorsed LGBT committee organizes a party and an email is sent to everyone encouraging them to attend. It's usually a packed event too.

So the fact that you have to "come out" and have your managers' support, while welcome, is not even an issue in my workplace. We simply don't care at all, and that's how I think it should be.

Good luck with coming out, but at the same time it's a bit disappointing in my opinion that you even have to go through this in the first place (nothing against you of course, I guess I'm just ranting against the system and society we live in).

Not all employers are the same and sadly my work makes you sign a morality contract before they hire you. Being gay, trans or even sleeping/living with a partner while not married are grounds for termination. This contract was exercised last year and an employee was terminated for being immoral.

Any catholic or christian organization can and does make their employees sign a morality contract, at least where I am from. I also know a friend that worked for an employer that was very helpful with transitioning in the workplace and another employee followed him home (FTM) and put the boots to him literally.

There are good reasons for being scared to come out at work and I wish my all the best of luck and to remember to stay safe.

Dai101

Banned
Not all employers are the same and sadly my work makes you sign a morality contract before they hire you. Being gay, trans or even sleeping/living with a partner while not married are grounds for termination. This contract was exercised last year and an employee was terminated for being immoral.

Any catholic or christian organization can and does make their employees sign a morality contract, at least where I am from. I also know a friend that worked for an employer that was very helpful with transitioning in the workplace and another employee followed him home (FTM) and put the boots to him literally.

There are good reasons for being scared to come out at work and I wish my all the best of luck and to remember to stay safe.

WHAT???

How in the hell is that legal?

esms

If I may ask, where are you from?

It's actually not that uncommon here sadly.

I can certainly corroborate such a stories and add some of my own but I won't on a public forum.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Thanks for the support for the past day!!! I have some news...instead of being smart and going to an informed clinic like I mentioned in the IRC chat...I am DIYing and order some stuff off inhouse. 100 100mg Spiro and 148 2mg Estrofem. I hope I get them soon, did it yesterday and it worked well. I'm soo hoping this work because if not I will be sad =( and I am sick of fucking hiding this shit...dribking helps lol!!! I also wanted to mention that I won't be able to Skype tomorrow night due to work being stupid and having me work till 9 @ night and 5 AM the next day...on day light savings time being set up back. Now...for my last complaint...I wish my hair was fucking longer haha!!

Beth Cyra

Thanks for the support for the past day!!! I have some news...instead of being smart and going to an informed clinic like I mentioned in the IRC chat...I am DIYing and order some stuff off inhouse. 100 100mg Spiro and 148 2mg Estrofem. I hope I get them soon, did it yesterday and it worked well. I'm soo hoping this work because if not I will be sad =( and I am sick of fucking hiding this shit...dribking helps lol!!! I also wanted to mention that I won't be able to Skype tomorrow night due to work being stupid and having me work till 9 @ night and 5 AM the next day...on day light savings time being set up back. Now...for my last complaint...I wish my hair was fucking longer haha!!

Well I'm glad your feeling better Waffle. Just stay safe with that and if there is any issue atop right away.

I truly get the need, but your special as is and don't let the depression but you at risk of anything.

It's officially over for me.

I had fun while it lasted, but it looks like my life has been put on an indefinite hold.

I wish all of you the best of luck, and hope everyone succeeds and gets further than I did.

Maybe one day I'll be able to start again, but that day doesn't seen like it will be anytime soon.

It breaks my heart to say this and to be done after my long wait and travel. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, as well as the saddest.

Thank you for everything girls, I hope to meet again, whether it's in this life or another.

I'll still stop by the chat and here to see how you're all doing.

I had fun while it lasted, but it looks like my life has been put on an indefinite hold.

I wish all of you the best of luck, and hope everyone succeeds and gets further than I did.

Maybe one day I'll be able to start again, but that day doesn't seen like it will be anytime soon.

It breaks my heart to say this and to be done after my long wait and travel. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, as well as the saddest.

Thank you for everything girls, I hope to meet again, whether it's in this life or another.

ok.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you.

Please do visit us at the channel and please stay strong.

Beth Cyra

Take care Ice, I hope everything calms down and you can get to a safe and happy place in the future.

Lady Gaia

I don't hate being trans, I hate living in a transphobic world.

Likewise. I'm actually somewhat grateful to have had my eyes opened to the complexities of gender identity in a way that enriches my understanding of the world around me. It's just irritating to see how gripped by fear some people are when contemplating a world that isn't as simple as they had believed.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry, i don't see it. :-( I can't have children, I have to go through multiple surgeries just to get to a place that most people start at, I'm a walking prescription and I'll always be that bit 'off' from who I really am.

I'm glad I'm getting near the end of this phase of my life, but its more relief and exhaustion than anything else. I can't see a single thing that's positive about being trans.

Sorry, i don't see it. :-( I can't have children, I have to go through multiple surgeries just to get to a place that most people start at, I'm a walking prescription and I'll always be that bit 'off' from who I really am.

I'm glad I'm getting near the end of this phase of my life, but its more relief and exhaustion than anything else. I can't see a single thing that's positive about being trans.

While I certainly understand and in many cases share the negatives you list, I think some percentage of those are cultural rather than inherent. I will also say that I feel this has given me a kind of insight into the entire concept of sex and gender I don't think most people have. I admit it's not much and it's probably still not a fair trade, but I don't want to see it as all bad. That and I feel I'm a living example of how foolish a harsh gender binary is.

Amalthea

Banned
Maybe I'm so positive for my part because I don't know it any better, in fact I was always pathologized, since my early childhood. I didn't knew who I was and so didn't many many doctors. And I was circumised at 6 without religious reasons, left me unable to piss properly.

So maybe being threated as transgender is just the "same old shit", just that I know now who I am and what I want.

Lady Gaia

I completely understand how anyone could feel hard done by when facing a transgender life. Other people do it have it easier, no question. On the other hand, I can name dozens of conditions that would make my life significantly less pleasant. I'll freely admit that I'm a hopeless optimist in many respects. I've never seen the point in wishing for a different past when I can focus that energy on making a better future.

Platy

You only have to go trough ONE surgery just to get to a place that most people start at.

Most girls start feeling that they are ugly =P

Beth Cyra

I completely understand how anyone could feel hard done by when facing a transgender life. Other people do it have it easier, no question. On the other hand, I can name dozens of conditions that would make my life significantly less pleasant. I'll freely admit that I'm a hopeless optimist in many respects. I've never seen the point in wishing for a different past when I can focus that energy on making a better future.
I try to look at it this way too.

Right now we are trying to find out what is going on with my wife's pain because she has multiple issues like hyper muscle elasticity and maybe rheumatoid or worse.

Being Trans sucks at times and I don't wish anyone was trans, but there are far worse things and I will eventually have my surgeries and be happy, I do t live in physical pain everyday or worse things so one day I will be complete and my wife will likely still have chronic pain.

Then again it might be because of Hezzy I can feel the way I do.

Anastasia

There are times when I have wished I wasn't trans. But there have been a number of benefits too. I've learned so much about gender and what it means to be "me" that I most likely wouldn't have thought about otherwise. In addition I'm much more understanding and open-minded now.

Also, I think just the effect of existing and being yourself and transitioning, and having others see that, can have a more powerful influence than anything else someone can do; I don't want to necessarily be a role model, but if someone can look at me and I can make their life better or make them more understanding just based on that, then I don't think being trans is completely bad.

Beth Cyra

I will warn the community to avoid the new thread in OT or just read the OP. The planet fitness one

It was some thing good but for some the discussion is already dangerous territory.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I don't really want any extra wisdom or perspective. My reality is that being trans is a horrible thing; it's driven me to two suicide attempts, has put me in a psych ward and even now it just eats away at me. I'll always be 'other' - guys will always see me as not a real woman, I can't have children and even when I do finally get my bottom surgery it's not exactly a "natural solution". I think it's a horrendous condition.

I may have extra "life experience" or "wisdom and I may be one of the lucky ones - I pass, I have a career, I have a partner - it doesn't make any difference most of the time. I can't help it. When I hear people say things like "you'll always be biologically a man" it just rings true in my head. I don't have that X chromosome. I'm just a half-way house, a compromise.

I'm sorry for really spilling my guts here, but I just find life a real struggle. Sometimes I just feel like giving up for good.

Amalthea

Banned
I don't really want any extra wisdom or perspective. My reality is that being trans is a horrible thing; it's driven me to two suicide attempts, has put me in a psych ward and even now it just eats away at me. I'll always be 'other' - guys will always see me as not a real woman, I can't have children and even when I do finally get my bottom surgery it's not exactly a "natural solution". I think it's a horrendous condition.

I may have extra "life experience" or "wisdom and I may be one of the lucky ones - I pass, I have a career, I have a partner - it doesn't make any difference most of the time. I can't help it. When I hear people say things like "you'll always be biologically a man" it just rings true in my head. I don't have that X chromosome. I'm just a half-way house, a compromise.

I'm sorry for really spilling my guts here, but I just find life a real struggle. Sometimes I just feel like giving up for good.
The other X chromosome that cis women have gets deactivated in the embryonal stage since they are very similiar and basically all inherited from a single maternal line.

Beth Cyra

I'm so sorry it's this bad for you sploatee.

I will say though that I do agree with you, I do t understand how some people could honestly view it as a choice we'd make.

And your always free to talk to us so no apologizing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm so sorry it's this bad for you sploatee.

I will say though that I do agree with you, I do t understand how some people could honestly view it as a choice we'd make.

And your always free to talk to us so no apologizing.

Thanks. It's part of the reason I just decided to come out a bit. I've been struggling for a long, long time.

That thread just sums up half the reason I just want to die half the time - everyone's a fucking expert, aren't they?

Amalthea

Banned
You are more worth than them. They are just run off the mills ignorants.

Each of us is valuable since we are few and we all live the struggle for a better future for those who will come after us.

Beth Cyra

Thanks. It's part of the reason I just decided to come out a bit. I've been struggling for a long, long time.

That thread just sums up half the reason I just want to die half the time - everyone's a fucking expert, aren't they?
It seems that way.

Especially those with Trans friends and kids. Goddess for bid they encounter us. Also the weirdest part is the likely hood even a kid would see us. The majority of us can't stand we have a penis we cover it and keep it hidden almost constantly, a little girl being scared by it, is like a billion to 1

Amalthea

Banned
I love kids but they are simply the worst in changing rooms and toilets. Running around the slippery floor sometimes their pants just hanging on one feet dragging the rest on the floor, some are loudly explaining their mommy that they can't peepee now. Others just throwing a fit, crying and screaming, blocking the exit...

Aeana

As difficult as it can be at times, I'd like to ask people to please resist retreating to community threads to complain about the forum at large. In this case, it's hard, I know it, but it is technically against the rules.

Beth Cyra

As difficult as it can be at times, I'd like to ask people to please resist retreating to community threads to complain about the forum at large. In this case, it's hard, I know it, but it is technically against the rules.
My fault Aeana, I brought warning and I shouldn't have done so.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Sorry - I'm having a tough time at the moment so it's hard to separate things from each other. Will remember in future.

Beth Cyra

So a change of subject seems to be in order.

I actually had to contact my very first therapist. Thankfully it wasn't as awkward as I'd feared it would be.

Has anyone ever had an experience where they moved on but came back to a therapist?

Sibylus

Banned
Oop, forgot to update the thread on my progress. I've come out to all the coworkers I've been able to speak to, and so far there have been no negative reactions! Some have engaged me in conversation and asked me plenty of questions. I feel really at ease in the workplace :)

Alchemy

Oop, forgot to update the thread on my progress. I've come out to all the coworkers I've been able to speak to, and so far there have been no negative reactions! Some have engaged me in conversation and asked me plenty of questions. I feel really at ease in the workplace :)

Awesome! :D

As for me, all of my in-laws know now. The final piece was my father in-law, and we told him yesterday. Was afraid of his reaction since he has a history of being less then accepting towards LGBT stuff (though not actively antagonistic), but he seemed ok with everything and wished me luck dealing with it and work.

All this was done over the phone though so its gonna be super weird the first time I go back up to Seattle to visit everybody :x

i haven't posted in this thread in a bit, but i have something to say:

I've come to a realization as to why I have no interest in getting surgery down there.

It has to do with my sexuality. I'm asexual, and have virtually no interest in sexual activity, so my mind doesn't have any disphoria in regards to what I have down there because I also have a lack of interest to use them, so they don't bother me, in comparison to the rest of my masculine body not matching up to my mind telling that I am supposed to have a feminine body.

I'm not exactly sure why I'm posting this, but I have been doubting if I was actually a trans woman and not non-binary or even agendered, but I've recently come to the realization that I am a trans woman and my genitals have nothing to do with it.

Also fuck the gender binary

Beth Cyra

I've come to a realization as to why I have no interest in getting surgery down there.

It has to do with my sexuality. I'm asexual, and have virtually no interest in sexual activity, so my mind doesn't have any disphoria in regards to what I have down there because I also have a lack of interest to use them, so they don't bother me, in comparison to the rest of my masculine body not matching up to my mind telling that I am supposed to have a feminine body.

I'm not exactly sure why I'm posting this, but I have been doubting if I was actually a trans woman and not non-binary or even agendered, but I've recently come to the realization that I am a trans woman and my genitals have nothing to do with it.

It's actually great you where able to figure that out, and I agree with your spoiler.

So I got my Leave of Absence from work finally approved. So my surgery on the third is a lock and all ready to go.

A bit nervous, but super happy to be this close.

I'm glad you were able to work that out! This whole situation can be rather complicated and messy despite the black and white nature some people seem to try make it. This is especially true when it comes to genitals, which, as you have realized, aren't directly tied to gender identity (although obviously they are often related).

QUOTE=Beth Cyra;155564476]It's actually great you where able to figure that out, and I agree with your spoiler.

So I got my Leave of Absence from work finally approved. So my surgery on the third is a lock and all ready to go.

A bit nervous, but super happy to be this close.[/QUOTE]

Woo! Congrats and good luck!

Dai101

Banned

That's great girl!! The best of luck for you in that procedure. Glad yo see you happy :D

Beth Cyra

I'm glad you were able to work that out! This whole situation can be rather complicated and messy despite the black and white nature some people seem to try make it. This is especially true when it comes to genitals, which, as you have realized, aren't directly tied to gender identity (although obviously they are often related).

QUOTE=Beth Cyra;155564476]It's actually great you where able to figure that out, and I agree with your spoiler.

That's great girl!! The best of luck for you in that procedure. Glad yo see you happy :D

Thank you both!

It's actually great you where able to figure that out, and I agree with your spoiler.

Congratulations!

In the spirit of new things, today was my first IM injection, hopefully the higher absorption rate does good things to my body!

Today is March 22nd, 2015. The date marks four years since I came out as a transgender woman in 2011. Everything changed that day, and for the first time, I felt like I was finally letting myself out instead of bottling myself in. However, today’s writing isn’t about my journey toward coming out (a lifetime), or the process of coming out (all at once). Rather, this is a reflection on gender.

When I first came out, my main mode of external (physical) gender expression was this red bow headband I’d wear on my head. Like, “hey, I’m not a guy, but I also can’t afford new clothes or anything, soooooo…” Like, “I’ve always had boobs--but now I have a bow to go with them! You can stop calling me ‘sir’ now!” Like, “whoa, no one even recognizes me without my beard, and all my customers think I’m this cute new tomboy hire.” Like, freedom.

In August 2011, I started HRT. I had to play at being binary with the doctor, having the impression that to do otherwise would cause my request for hormones to be denied. I didn’t wear makeup and I wore pants instead of skirts. She said things like “you don’t look like a trans woman”, so I must not have been doing too well at passing as a binary-identified individual. In the end, it was a newspaper cover I’d been featured on in May (titled “Who She Is”, featuring one of the few pictures of me in a dress) that saved my hormones from being denied or unreasonably delayed, and I was grateful for it. I now recognize this as an instance of accessing binary privilege.

My body changed a lot very quickly, and I was being gendered female the vast majority of the time. I was starting to make trans friends on the internet, and the pervasive narrative at the time was extremely antagonistic toward nonbinary identities. I had the very distinct feeling that I was being judged far more harshly by binary trans people than even cis people’s bullshit. I felt ashamed of myself, and tried wearing makeup for a while to blend in better. For my troubles, I found myself ‘blessed’ with entirely too much unwanted cis male attention.

In January 2013, no one understood why I shaved my head and threw away my bras and makeup, but I didn’t care. Looking in the mirror at my beautifully feminized body, my shapely, hairy legs, my large, soft breasts, my shaved head and my gentle, stubbly, makeup-bare face, I finally felt like I was seeing myself for the first time. When I went out in public, the romantic attention I got was a lot more to my liking--almost no cis/straight individuals creeping on me, unless they were demanding to know why I hated men so much (lol). I happily went back to the trans group meetings, where the people who knew me looked at me with shock, and the people who didn’t know me thought I was a trans guy. Within a month, most of the trans guys at the meeting had shaved their heads, too. Oops!

Sometimes people indicate that they can’t tell if I’m a girl or a boy. Sometimes people are shocked at what’s between my legs. Sometimes, people try to offer ‘good-natured’ advice about how to be more feminine or more masculine, depending on what they perceive my starting point and hypothetical finishing point to be. Sometimes, a group of trans guys mistakes me for a trans guy. Sometimes, people tell me “you could be SO pretty if…” Most of the time, people gender me female by default and don’t really make an issue of my presentation. Nowadays, people who know me are pretty used to me. I don’t mind when people can’t fit me into a box, but I do mind when people passive-aggressively push their binary supremacy onto me.

The gender binary is oppressive nonsense designed to keep half of society subjugated along its hard line. When you offer unsolicited advice or opinions on someone’s identity or expression, you’re making their day that much more uncomfortable. When you play like your binary identity is more legitimate than someone’s nonbinary identity, you’re reminding them that our society is centered around shaky artificial constructs that are revered like scientific fact. Fuck the binary. Fuck the subjugation of women, fuck the stratification of gender. If your binary identity means that much to you, appreciate it on its own merits and stop throwing my people under the goddamned bus to make yourself feel legitimate.

Top Bottom