• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Amalthea

Banned
My health insurance sent me a confirmation that they'll cover my bottom surgery.
Bad thing is that the surgeon don't want to do it before he goes to Thailand for 3 months to train, starting in May. And despite still operating two patients within the time being. He offered me to do it before but doesn't want to leave my recovery back home. Seems like he doesn't care as much about the other two patients. lol(?)

Came back from a visit to the Nottingham gender clinic with my partner today, I was accompanying her for her third visit where it's a group appointment with the two doctors she's seen so far plus myself as a 'real world' person who she's close to.

It's all looking great for her, both of them seemed happy to sign her onto treatment and hormones given a few small things my partner has to do such as sort out her female ID card and stuff.

A nice encouraging little meeting really, although it was almost quite difficult to avoid mentioning my own gender issues and stuff. But we were there for her, so I absolutely keep it about her.

But yeah, I'm really quite jealous!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Today is March 22nd, 2015. The date marks four years since I came out as a transgender woman in 2011. Everything changed that day, and for the first time, I felt like I was finally letting myself out instead of bottling myself in. However, today’s writing isn’t about my journey toward coming out (a lifetime), or the process of coming out (all at once). Rather, this is a reflection on gender.

When I first came out, my main mode of external (physical) gender expression was this red bow headband I’d wear on my head. Like, “hey, I’m not a guy, but I also can’t afford new clothes or anything, soooooo…” Like, “I’ve always had boobs--but now I have a bow to go with them! You can stop calling me ‘sir’ now!” Like, “whoa, no one even recognizes me without my beard, and all my customers think I’m this cute new tomboy hire.” Like, freedom.

In August 2011, I started HRT. I had to play at being binary with the doctor, having the impression that to do otherwise would cause my request for hormones to be denied. I didn’t wear makeup and I wore pants instead of skirts. She said things like “you don’t look like a trans woman”, so I must not have been doing too well at passing as a binary-identified individual. In the end, it was a newspaper cover I’d been featured on in May (titled “Who She Is”, featuring one of the few pictures of me in a dress) that saved my hormones from being denied or unreasonably delayed, and I was grateful for it. I now recognize this as an instance of accessing binary privilege.

My body changed a lot very quickly, and I was being gendered female the vast majority of the time. I was starting to make trans friends on the internet, and the pervasive narrative at the time was extremely antagonistic toward nonbinary identities. I had the very distinct feeling that I was being judged far more harshly by binary trans people than even cis people’s bullshit. I felt ashamed of myself, and tried wearing makeup for a while to blend in better. For my troubles, I found myself ‘blessed’ with entirely too much unwanted cis male attention.

In January 2013, no one understood why I shaved my head and threw away my bras and makeup, but I didn’t care. Looking in the mirror at my beautifully feminized body, my shapely, hairy legs, my large, soft breasts, my shaved head and my gentle, stubbly, makeup-bare face, I finally felt like I was seeing myself for the first time. When I went out in public, the romantic attention I got was a lot more to my liking--almost no cis/straight individuals creeping on me, unless they were demanding to know why I hated men so much (lol). I happily went back to the trans group meetings, where the people who knew me looked at me with shock, and the people who didn’t know me thought I was a trans guy. Within a month, most of the trans guys at the meeting had shaved their heads, too. Oops!

Sometimes people indicate that they can’t tell if I’m a girl or a boy. Sometimes people are shocked at what’s between my legs. Sometimes, people try to offer ‘good-natured’ advice about how to be more feminine or more masculine, depending on what they perceive my starting point and hypothetical finishing point to be. Sometimes, a group of trans guys mistakes me for a trans guy. Sometimes, people tell me “you could be SO pretty if…” Most of the time, people gender me female by default and don’t really make an issue of my presentation. Nowadays, people who know me are pretty used to me. I don’t mind when people can’t fit me into a box, but I do mind when people passive-aggressively push their binary supremacy onto me.

The gender binary is oppressive nonsense designed to keep half of society subjugated along its hard line. When you offer unsolicited advice or opinions on someone’s identity or expression, you’re making their day that much more uncomfortable. When you play like your binary identity is more legitimate than someone’s nonbinary identity, you’re reminding them that our society is centered around shaky artificial constructs that are revered like scientific fact. Fuck the binary. Fuck the subjugation of women, fuck the stratification of gender. If your binary identity means that much to you, appreciate it on its own merits and stop throwing my people under the goddamned bus to make yourself feel legitimate.

Hi. I've been thinking about your post a bit. I can see that you are someone that very much enjoys your own body and is confident in talking about it!

I would say that I hope your views on 'my people' and 'your people' aren't too set in stone. It's a bit sad to read that. We're all individuals, whether binary , cis, male, female or otherwise and each deserving of respect and understanding.

My health insurance sent me a confirmation that they'll cover my bottom surgery.
Bad thing is that the surgeon don't want to do it before he goes to Thailand for 3 months to train, starting in May. And despite still operating two patients within the time being. He offered me to do it before but doesn't want to leave my recovery back home. Seems like he doesn't care as much about the other two patients. lol(?)

At least you got the confirmation :) and better to have a trained surgeon...it's probably going to be a year or so till I have mine. Which makes 6 years on the NHS waiting list...

Came back from a visit to the Nottingham gender clinic with my partner today, I was accompanying her for her third visit where it's a group appointment with the two doctors she's seen so far plus myself as a 'real world' person who she's close to.

It's all looking great for her, both of them seemed happy to sign her onto treatment and hormones given a few small things my partner has to do such as sort out her female ID card and stuff.

A nice encouraging little meeting really, although it was almost quite difficult to avoid mentioning my own gender issues and stuff. But we were there for her, so I absolutely keep it about her.

But yeah, I'm really quite jealous!

Well done her! There'll be time for you to figure out your own issues. You're always welcome to talk about them.

Also, UK TGAF represent!

Amalthea

Banned
At least you got the confirmation :) and better to have a trained surgeon...it's probably going to be a year or so till I have mine. Which makes 6 years on the NHS waiting list...
Problem is that everything now comes up at once.

My surgeon sounded like he might be able to do it before his travels but I had to ask him wich specific timeframe he meant. Then a moment later I get a call for a possible job that I almost wrote off, they want to see me on Friday but I already have an appointment wth my former psychologist as she got a patient with gender disphoria and wants me to speak with her. Now I tried to reach her to ask for postponing the appointment but she seems busy...

I still need to tell that job person if I'm aviable on friday but my time's running out and I lied during the interview that I have no more medical issues when I might actually have a surgery in the coming 1-4 months...

Damn, what a pickle.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Problem is that everything now comes up at once.

My surgeon sounded like he might be able to do it before his travels but I had to ask him wich specific timeframe he meant. Then a moment later I get a call for a possible job that I almost wrote off, they want to see me on Friday but I already have an appointment wth my former psychologist as she got a patient with gender disphoria and wants me to speak with her. Now I tried to reach her to ask for postponing the appointment but she seems busy...

I still need to tell that job person if I'm aviable on friday but my time's running out and I lied during the interview that I have no more medical issues when I might actually have a surgery in the coming 1-4 months...

Damn, what a pickle.

Sounds like it! Maybe it's best being honest about the surgery? It seems that if you took the job and liked it, and then let them know about the surgery they probably wouldn't be very pleased with you?

Reishiki

Banned
I got my one-month-in blood test results, misread them and spent the entire day miserable. I'd even texted my partner to say I was feeling down about it and he was pretty worried when I got home. I dug out my pre-HRT results and realised I'd been silly:

Pre-HRT Levels
Testosterone - 9.7 (Already under recommended male levels)
Oestrogen - 124

After 1 month:
Testosterone - 4.0
Oestrogen - 140

Levels recommended by my consultant:
Testosterone < 3
Oestrogen = 200-600

I'm still not in the right range just yet, but I've got a GP follow up after one of my night shifts next week that'll probably include a dose adjustment.

Hi. I've been thinking about your post a bit. I can see that you are someone that very much enjoys your own body and is confident in talking about it!

I would say that I hope your views on 'my people' and 'your people' aren't too set in stone. It's a bit sad to read that. We're all individuals, whether binary , cis, male, female or otherwise and each deserving of respect and understanding.

First, thank you for reading, acknowledging, and responding to my post :) Bodies are super-wonderful, especially when they're attached to awesome people. As the years go by, the importance of self-acceptance in the now becomes more apparent, even if society isn't on board.

Some context: there's been so much HBSer True Transsexual bullshit going on in the US. The local trans group isn't a safe space for nonbinary folk. The reactionary anti-trans laws the politicians are enacting, in practice, will (only) criminalize non-passing and non-binary individuals. The state's most famous trans activist openly shits on nonbinary presentations in public forums, and she's cheered for it. There has been a lot of visibility and acceptance for binary trans identities the last few years, and it seems to be coming at the cost of my people's humanity. Major LGBT publications will run articles like this one. Zoey Tur, who dishonestly claimed the title of the first transgender newscaster, is this kind of jerkbag.

Nonbinary people aren't allowed to even merely exist without being policed and attacked by the trans community's most celebrated, and that attitude is pervasive. Oftentimes we'll have our identities stripped from us without having even said a word to them. So, while it's sad for such a framework to exist, I certainly never asked to be othered--it was put upon me and other nonbinary individuals, as well as nonpassing binary individuals (trans or cis), and the perpetrators are consistently passing binary-identified trans individuals. Certainly, not every binary person is a horrible human being, but I propose that societally, there is an axis of privilege and oppression that runs along that artificial dividing line, and if binary people aren't actively aware and actively allying for their nonbinary sibs, they are likely to default toward the kinds of behaviors seen above--pre-emptively demonizing people who don't fit their binary ideals, to position themselves as One Of The Good Ones to the dominant classes.

I hope you can understand how that can lead to such feelings. In a perfect world, we would all be respected and celebrated as individuals, but we live in a world that's been subjugated by white supremacy, patriarchy, capitalism, and all of the poisonous intersections this leads to. Trans people as a whole receive quite a bit of downward pressure in the intersectional system of hierarchies and oppression, but too many are far too quick to drop the rope when they see someone who doesn't "pass" as well as they do.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
First, thank you for reading, acknowledging, and responding to my post :) Bodies are super-wonderful, especially when they're attached to awesome people. As the years go by, the importance of self-acceptance in the now becomes more apparent, even if society isn't on board.

Some context: there's been so much HBSer True Transsexual bullshit going on in the US. The local trans group isn't a safe space for nonbinary folk. The reactionary anti-trans laws the politicians are enacting, in practice, will (only) criminalize non-passing and non-binary individuals. The state's most famous trans activist openly shits on nonbinary presentations in public forums, and she's cheered for it. There has been a lot of visibility and acceptance for binary trans identities the last few years, and it seems to be coming at the cost of my people's humanity. Major LGBT publications will run articles like this one. Zoey Tur, who dishonestly claimed the title of the first transgender newscaster, is this kind of jerkbag.

Nonbinary people aren't allowed to even merely exist without being policed and attacked by the trans community's most celebrated, and that attitude is pervasive. Oftentimes we'll have our identities stripped from us without having even said a word to them. So, while it's sad for such a framework to exist, I certainly never asked to be othered--it was put upon me and other nonbinary individuals, as well as nonpassing binary individuals (trans or cis), and the perpetrators are consistently passing binary-identified trans individuals. Certainly, not every binary person is a horrible human being, but I propose that societally, there is an axis of privilege and oppression that runs along that artificial dividing line, and if binary people aren't actively aware and actively allying for their nonbinary sibs, they are likely to default toward the kinds of behaviors seen above--pre-emptively demonizing people who don't fit their binary ideals, to position themselves as One Of The Good Ones to the dominant classes.

I hope you can understand how that can lead to such feelings. In a perfect world, we would all be respected and celebrated as individuals, but we live in a world that's been subjugated by white supremacy, patriarchy, capitalism, and all of the poisonous intersections this leads to. Trans people as a whole receive quite a bit of downward pressure in the intersectional system of hierarchies and oppression, but too many are far too quick to drop the rope when they see someone who doesn't "pass" as well as they do.

Thanks for explaining that.

I think you and I have fairly different views on bodies! I feel that my body is really just a shell for my mind. I'm becoming a bit of a Buddhist these days and really feel that bodies are just flesh paperweights while we go about more important business! I don't particularly like or dislike my body; it just sort of is. I would have preferred to have a slightly more natural body rather than via hormone supplements and surgery, but in the end it'll fail anyway. How Buddhist is that?!?!

I can understand a bit more now. It must be very very difficult to carve out a place in culture for non-binary people. I'm familiar with some of the work of Judith Butler and Leslie Feinberg (I think I've got that right) from my undergrad days and I remember general bemusement when discussing pronouns like ze and hir. Culture has enough difficulty acknowledging the existence of and understanding 'simple' binary trans folk.

I'm digressing a bit now but ultimately I think I'm in agreement with you. Non-binary folk are just as valuable and 'authentic' as any binary folk. How long it will take for the dominant culture to accept that...I don't know, sadly. I certainly think that as a trans woman (I guess?! I'm perma confused ) I'd expect a bit more compassion and respect towards non-binary folk. Your existence doesn't invalidate mine and vice versa. To suggest otherwise is just unkind and a bit ignorant.

I will admit I tend to present inside the binary outside of not doing the whole makeup and jewelry things, so I won't even pretend to truly appreciate the full depth of issues and experiences of those which live more openly outside of the binary, but I heavily empathize with what you are saying. As you say many of the major (relatively speaking) trans figures, especially ones that transitioned prior to the last 5-10 years or so, do tend to be stuck in binary thinking. You've done a good job explaining many of the reasons why so I won't belabor the point. I just want to add that I, for one, will stand with those advocates that want to break the binary rather than shoehorn everyone into it because that's an "easier" solution.

Kinsei

Banned
My entire life pretty much did a 180 today. I came out to a couple people (including my boss) and they took it wonderfully. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday to start talking about things. My mother has started researching things about how to support me, and has even gotten in contact with a trans person (anonymously) to ask questions and get advice.

It feels like my life is finally starting to move forward!

Suddenly things got pretty fast. Gonna enter the hospital on saturday. Surgery on monday.

Congrats!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Suddenly things got pretty fast. Gonna enter the hospital on saturday. Surgery on monday.

Whoaaa! Amazing! Go go go go go! Good luck!!!!!!! Stay in touch!!!

My entire life pretty much did a 180 today. I came out to a couple people (including my boss) and they took it wonderfully. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday to start talking about things. My mother has started researching things about how to support me, and has even gotten in contact with a trans person (anonymously) to ask questions and get advice.

It feels like my life is finally starting to move forward!

Congrats!

Congrats :)

Amalthea

Banned
1st day at the hospital. Had to drink about 1 liter (about 34 ounces) of laxative. Reminded me of the old days when I had diarrhea from my anxiety all the time. Butt burns...

My poop needs to be clear as water but it's still slightly colored.

Yet I'll still have to drink twice of the stuff tomorrow...

Bleh, feels like I'll be dead before the surgery itself.

(Btw. the laxative tastes kinda like uncarbonated Crystal Pepsi wich was one of the few beverages to ever make me feel nauseous. So I call it that in secret now.) lol

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Good for you and good luck Amalthea!!

Update for me, got my hormones in yesterday and am starting 100mg Spiro and 2mg estradiol! Hopefully everything goes okay =)

1st day at the hospital. Had to drink about 1 liter (about 34 ounces) of laxative. Reminded me of the old days when I had diarrhea from my anxiety all the time. Butt burns...

My poop needs to be clear as water but it's still slightly colored.

Yet I'll still have to drink twice of the stuff tomorrow...

Bleh, feels like I'll be dead before the surgery itself.
You can make it! Fasting's horrible and hospital living ain't fantastic, but at least you have plenty of time to rest and nobody's demanding you do work. Just try to make the most of it, there's not too many other places where you can strut around wearing nothing but a gown. (of questionable quality but that aside...)
(Btw. the laxative tastes kinda like uncarbonated Crystal Pepsi wich was one of the few beverages to ever make me feel nauseous. So I call it that in secret now.) lol
oh wow, you're right. That is pretty darn close to the fruity, delicous taste of laxative.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Surgery is over. Still dizzy.

Hope you feel better soon. You have been through a major operation so I'm not surprised you feel dizzy. From what I know, it might take a little while for you to recentre, although you most likely know way more than I do :)

The most important thing : I'm glad it went well and I hope your recovery goes well too.

Beth Cyra

Thanks. I rather bè dizzy than in pain. And the pain is actually pretty low.
My rìght arm is pretty stiff tho.
I hope your holding up well and your arm loses up soon.

An update for me, they just charged me 6 thousand as I'm now in the surgery week.

Go in Friday morning after an 11 hour drive, hopefully everything is smooth. Only a top surgery so nothing to scary should happen.

Amalthea

Banned
I hope your holding up well and your arm loses up soon.

An update for me, they just charged me 6 thousand as I'm now in the surgery week.

Go in Friday morning after an 11 hour drive, hopefully everything is smooth. Only a top surgery so nothing to scary should happen.
Thanks,the arm became a bit more mobile but still very stiff and immobile.

My surgery could've included a free breast augmentation too but I declined since my breasts grow well and steady and I kinda am proud of that.

The surgeon asked me multiple times if I was sure and in the end he almost seemed let down for reasons of his own preferences rather than mine. lol

mollipen

My surgery could've included a free breast augmentation too but I declined since my breasts grow well and steady and I kinda am proud of that.

...wait, hold on. This is really a thing? Did you have some sort of "buy a vagina, get the breasts for free" coupon or something? How is this a thing?!

Amalthea

Banned
...wait, hold on. This is really a thing? Did you have some sort of "buy a vagina, get the breasts for free" coupon or something? How is this a thing?!

And where do I sign up?
It seems to be commonpractise in Switzerland. There are only three hospitals here who have SRS covered by health insurance and I know that one even includes FFS. But I really felt that I don't need either implants ore a more feminine face.

I have a question for this community and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. First, I want to congratulate Amalthea on her surgery and others on their treatments! I'm very excited for you all! &#9829;

I have a question about when cis-gender, straight people being mistaken for the other gender in media. In particular, this came to mind because I've been rewatching Game of Thrones to be ready for the S5 premier, and I was wondering about (mild spoiler from early S2 GoT)
Gendry knowing Arya is a girl and saying if she's not then she should whip her cock out

Is that offensive or triggering in any way? Like what if she was actually a transman but the science of the era provided no medical assistance to her? There's no way he'd know that and no way she could prove it.

I'm probably over-thinking things. I'm just trying to increase my perspective on the issue. Thanks! :)

Amalthea

Banned
Thanks you two!

And for your question; I dunno if I get it correctly but some people just happen to have an ambigous gender look. They are androgyne wich must not necessarily have anything to do with their gender identity. And of course people will question or rightout misinterpret your gender if you're androgynous. Cis people might be hurt if that happens to them but it always made my day when it happened to me back when I was still in the closet.
It's incredible luck when you're androgynous and trans. Especially if you're as tall as me.

Interesting. In fiction it's usually to the perturbation of the wrongly-gendered person, such that they reject such gendering. So I was just curious if maybe that gave some anxiety to some for whom being wrongly-gendered is common or those who would want to be gendered differently from what they were assigned at birth. Thank you for the comment.

Amalthea

Banned
Interesting. In fiction it's usually to the perturbation of the wrongly-gendered person, such that they reject such gendering. So I was just curious if maybe that gave some anxiety to some for whom being wrongly-gendered is common or those who would want to be gendered differently from what they were assigned at birth. Thank you for the comment.
People generally don't like to be gendered wrongly based of how they feel inside not on their appearance. For transgender people it's more apparent as their outside rarely match their soul before coming out and/or taking medical steps. And even then people might just be insensitive or assholish enough and insist on identifying them with their birth gender.

I even did cringe as child when called a boy while I still tried hard to identify with being one. And since I accepted myself as female before I got adult I almost always had breakdowns once people started to call me mister.

People generally don't like to be gendered wrongly based of how they feel inside not on their appearance. For transgender people it's more apparent as their outside rarely match their soul before coming out and/or taking medical steps. And even then people might just be insensitive or assholish enough and insist on identifying them with their birth gender.

I even did cringe as child when called a boy while I still tried hard to identify with being one. And since I accepted myself as female before I got adult I almost always had breakdowns once people started to call me mister.

Right. I totally get that. So is it not hard to see other people mis-gendered (on TV or otherwise), or do you empathize with them and hurt a little?

Sorry if it seems like I keep asking the same question. I'm just trying to get a clear picture.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Right. I totally get that. So is it not hard to see other people mis-gendered (on TV or otherwise), or do you empathize with them and hurt a little?

Sorry if it seems like I keep asking the same question. I'm just trying to get a clear picture.

For me, I empathise with people generally. It doesn't matter what the 'thing' is, whether it's gender, being differently abled or not neurotypical, it doesn't really matter. I probably find it quicker to empathise with trans people because that's my 'home turf', but it's not that important.

Amalthea

Banned
For me, I empathise with people generally. It doesn't matter what the 'thing' is, whether it's gender, being differently abled or not neurotypical, it doesn't really matter. I probably find it quicker to empathise with trans people because that's my 'home turf', but it's not that important.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same for me too.

Beth Cyra

Just checked in to the hospital. Won't have surgery for three hours but given I'm from rural oregon and SF sucks to drive in, im just happy I didn't get lost.

Lady Gaia

SF is a horrific driving experience for locals, too, which is why so many of them don't own cars. Best wishes with your surgery! May you achieve what you're hoping for and have a speedy recovery.

Reishiki

Banned
Just checked in to the hospital. Won't have surgery for three hours but given I'm from rural oregon and SF sucks to drive in, im just happy I didn't get lost.

Good Luck!

My oestradiol dose has been raised from 100&#956;g to 125&#956;g. Should be hitting expected levels sometime in the next month.

Beth Cyra

Thanks all of you, I love Trans Gaf lol.

Out of surgery and I'm in some seriou pain. Tightness everywhere and I can't move my arms above the elbow.

Any bio woman who does this just for maybe on ed cup size is out of her mind lol.

Take all and I'll update tomorrow.
Good Luck!

My oestradiol dose has been raised from 100&#956;g to 125&#956;g. Should be hitting expected levels sometime in the next month.

Awesome sauce on the levels getting to the right level. I'm really happy that everything s3ems to be going well.

Sorry ladies, on the phone as I type this.

Amalthea

Banned
Looking at the surgery area (if only rarely as possible) makes me really nauseous, have hardly appetite. Pain is very very low but I'm at that stage where stitches have that itchy, burning feeling that I hate so much. Was able to stand up for the first time since OP wich is great. Having to ram the stent up my vulva on my own, drizzling with lube and desinfectatants is less great. At least I can go to the sink again to wash my hands.

Beth Cyra

Good luck with your recovery

That is a weird way to say "any woman" ... or .... are you a robot ? =O
Lol Platy that included me.

Right before Surgery I was like maybe ill go back for one size bigger, well my lady butt had no idea for what she spoke and how painful this is lol.

Top Bottom