• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

yeoz

oh, i didn't realize it worked that way.
obviously i'll deal with needles if thats how it ends up being.

I'm pretty much going to disagree with Platy here. My doc prescribes pills by default because injections are fairly costly (there aren't a whole lot of pharmacies that compound E here in Montréal). You can of course ask for injections or whatever (which I did), but pills are vastly cheaper and most doctors are familiar with them so that is what they will prescribe. Of course, every doctor is different, but, this has been my experience at all the informed consent places I've been to, in two countries so far :p

(For comparison, for me, the injections come out at $105ish vs $15ish for pills.)

edit: I asked for and switched to injections, mostly because my doc was suggesting a move to 10mg E/day based on my blood work on 8mg E/day >_>
so in theory you might need to switch, but, that's based on how you respond to pills...

Anastasia

Been a while since I posted in here. I lost my job today, so kind of feeling like shit at the moment. I wonder how far it's going to set me back with things and medically transitioning. I know things could be worse, and I try to remain optimistic, but I would be lying if I said I'm not feeling really dysphoric right now.

I don't known if "injected" is the word I'd use, but yeah.

Here's what happens with me. Pants down enough to expose rump, lay on the table. I get s shot (which I can't see) for the local anesthetic. That part does admittedly sting, but it's over quick. Minute or so later, doctor does his thing, which there isn't one bit of pain from. And, again, because of the position, I can't see any of it, so it's not freaky.

At first, it's just once every three months. Now I'm on once every four, and that may increase again.

I never considered pellets before, but this sounds a lot better than pills or shots. I looked into it some more and it seems to be very safe and effective too. I think I might go this route eventually.

I'm pretty much going to disagree with Platy here. My doc prescribes pills by default because injections are fairly costly (there aren't a whole lot of pharmacies that compound E here in Montréal). You can of course ask for injections or whatever (which I did), but pills are vastly cheaper and most doctors are familiar with them so that is what they will prescribe. Of course, every doctor is different, but, this has been my experience at all the informed consent places I've been to, in two countries so far :p

(For comparison, for me, the injections come out at $108ish vs $15ish for pills.)

edit: I asked for and switched to injections, mostly because my doc was suggesting a move to 10mg E/day based on my blood work on 8mg E/day >_>
so in theory you might need to switch, but, that's based on how you respond to pills...

it won't be nearly that much for me as I have GSC

right now the blockers are $5
but either way, theres only one way to tell what will happen and thats to wait :)

yeoz

it won't be nearly that much for me as I have GSC

right now the blockers are $5
but either way, theres only one way to tell what will happen and thats to wait :)

Ah, okay, I have private insurance from the firm so they knock off about 80% of the cost too. $105 --> $21

What your doctor prescribes you based on what the doctor see in the blood test

Absolutely wrong.

They prescribe whatever works for your body based on several factors, including the ability to self inject. Doing IM's is by far not for everyone, it takes it's toll and it requires a significant amount of confidence and a plethora of other things.

Pushing a 1 inch needle into your muscle on a weekly basis is not something I'd call "easy" on a weekly basis.

IceDoesntHelp,

I'd probably start off on pills as it's by far the easiest way to ease into it. Pellets are cool too but mind the costs and sometimes it can be hard to find a doctor that actually uses that method. Either way, you can always ask your doctor to change later on. Your doctor is there to help you and serve you, not to dictate your life.

sweetdee

Neo Member
I changed from pills to injections last month and yeah... pushing that needle in, drawing the plunger to see if blood comes out, and then pushing it in again is harrowing. The thing is, the needle is super thin so you have to apply a LOT of pressure to pull and push the plunger, WHILE part of the needle is in your leg. My constant fear is that I'll shove the entire needle right in if I lose my grip, or I'll break the needle off inside me.

I have enough stuff to last until February but unless I get a lot more comfortable in the next month or see some difference in my body I'm going back to pills. It's an incredibly hard thing to do. I shake and sweat and my heart races every time.

mollipen

My doctor was like "here are the four options, pick the one you want to do."

They are expensive, though. I walk out of his office having paid like $330 every time. I'm not going through insurance, however, so you might be able to get it done for cheaper if you can work that out.

yeoz

I changed from pills to injections last month and yeah... pushing that needle in, drawing the plunger to see if blood comes out, and then pushing it in again is harrowing. The thing is, the needle is super thin so you have to apply a LOT of pressure to pull and push the plunger, WHILE part of the needle is in your leg. My constant fear is that I'll shove the entire needle right in if I lose my grip, or I'll break the needle off inside me.

I have enough stuff to last until February but unless I get a lot more comfortable in the next month or see some difference in my body I'm going back to pills. It's an incredibly hard thing to do. I shake and sweat and my heart races every time.

I haven't broken a needle, and I stick needles inside myself *recreationally* :p But yeah, I passed out after an injection last week and it has me a bit worried.
That said, I get sore breasts again, after a few weeks of the stuff (and after 3.5 years of pills) so I'm staying on it, assuming it's helping with boob growth at all.

yeoz

Never mind!

I saw your post. I've been thinking about it all day. I'm dealing with relationship issues of my own, and the advice I get from everyone seems to be: communication.

You gotta talk to your partner. Maybe couples counselling; maybe open up the relationship so you can explore your sexuality. I don't know. But if you don't want this to end the way you predict it might, you gotta talk to her.

sweetdee

Neo Member
I haven't broken a needle, and I stick needles inside myself *recreationally* :p But yeah, I passed out after an injection last week and it has me a bit worried.
That said, I get sore breasts again, after a few weeks of the stuff (and after 3.5 years of pills) so I'm staying on it, assuming it's helping with boob growth at all.

I've been on them for a month now and haven't noticed anything like that. The only thing I have noticed is that I'm happier and livelier than I've ever been the first few days after each injection and the I feel like someone has died for the last 3 days of the cycle (it's exactly that feeling you carry around in the days after a very close person dies - depressed, tired, feeling of unreality, crying at the drop of a hat, unable to think etc.) I'm in that latter period right now and waiting to see my doctor tomorrow to do some tests mid cycle to see whether the estrogen level is dropping like crazy around day 4. I might need to do it more than once a week. I certainly can't go on like this anyway.

Beth Cyra

Hello ladies!!!

I'm finally back, and I'm sorry I missed so much.

I had requested till August 1st and they banded me to the 21st for some reason.

Anyway a lot has happened.

I've switched out my E pills for imtermusculsr shots.

Started an open relationship (so I'm saying for the first time in ten years).

Signed up for Pole/Chair/Erotic dancing.

Even scheduled my next tatto

And lastly

On Dec 8th 2015 I go in for the bottom surgery in San fransico yay

Hollycat

Hello ladies!!!

I'm finally back, and I'm sorry I missed so much.

I had requested till August 1st and they banded me to the 21st for some reason.

Anyway a lot has happened.

I've switched out my E pills for imtermusculsr shots.

Started an open relationship (so I'm saying for the first time in ten years).

Signed up for Pole/Chair/Erotic dancing.

Even scheduled my next tatto

And lastly

On Dec 8th 2015 I go in for the bottom surgery in San fransico yay
It's great to have you back! And all that stuff sounds amazing.

User1608

Banned
Hi gals (and some men, presumably!)! I've been a lurker for years now, and this ot is one of the ones I visited often. I'm going to spill it out somewhat. So I'm a genetic male. For years, since 2003, when I was 11, I've had conflicting feelings in regards to my gender. I dressed up beginning at around that age, and enjoyed feeling like a girl, but it was always in secret, and I've continued to do that to this day. I've worn dresses, bras, flip flops, flats, yoga pants, eyeliner, etc. I enjoy a lot of girly things too. I love Disney Princesses! I love my kitty who's a beautiful furball! I love romance/comedy movies, and one of my fave animes growing up as a kid was Sailor Moon and I always defaulted to female pcs if I had the choice! And out of me and my siblings, I'm by far the most emotional and prone to crying... I'm always imagining that I'm a woman and dream about it too. And yes, I also imagine sexual intercourse as one, which I feel guilty about, because I don't want to give off the impression it's a fetish. I'm not sure honestly. Last year, I dressed up on Halloween, but I was able to go much further than before, as I wore women's clothing and a wig with a decent amount of make-up, and it dawned on me that there may very well be more to this, and that's what scares me. It's hard in particular because in Oct. 2013 my father was deported and so it fell on me more or less to take charge of the household. I don't want to disappoint my family. I came out as bi because hey, guys are cute too, and I couldn't deny it any longer!

I just worry they think it's a choice instead of being potentially a reality. It doesn't really help I'm undocumented (been here as a baby).:/ so that's another layer of complication. It's not killing me or anything, but I am sad. I don't have as much opportunity in the U.S. despite having work authorization/daca, so my future is somewhat uncertain in the U.S. I get so jealous looking at women, honestly too. So there goes my noise... Kind of rambling haha. Basically, I'm just so limited in what I can do.

Dai101

Banned
It's been a while since the last time i lurked here (stupid bans ¬¬) and i'm glad to hear (ok, read :p) great news coming from you girls.

Keep being awesome all of you!!

Also, since someone mentioned Disney Princesses i'm obligated to share my (not-so) dirty secret....

LsCVZQt.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pocketprincesses
http://www.amymebberson.com/

Yeah, i'm male but I just love that girl's work.

Hylian, let me say welcome to this great community (as the self-appointed lurker of it.)

Hi gals (and some men, presumably!)! I've been a lurker for years now, and this ot is one of the ones I visited often. I'm going to spill it out somewhat. So I'm a genetic male. For years, since 2003, when I was 11, I've had conflicting feelings in regards to my gender. I dressed up beginning at around that age, and enjoyed feeling like a girl, but it was always in secret, and I've continued to do that to this day. I've worn dresses, bras, flip flops, flats, yoga pants, eyeliner, etc. I enjoy a lot of girly things too. I love Disney Princesses! I love my kitty who's a beautiful furball! I love romance/comedy movies, and one of my fave animes growing up as a kid was Sailor Moon and I always defaulted to female pcs if I had the choice! And out of me and my siblings, I'm by far the most emotional and prone to crying... I'm always imagining that I'm a woman and dream about it too. And yes, I also imagine sexual intercourse as one, which I feel guilty about, because I don't want to give off the impression it's a fetish. I'm not sure honestly. Last year, I dressed up on Halloween, but I was able to go much further than before, as I wore women's clothing and a wig with a decent amount of make-up, and it dawned on me that there may very well be more to this, and that's what scares me. It's hard in particular because in Oct. 2013 my father was deported and so it fell on me more or less to take charge of the household. I don't want to disappoint my family. I came out as bi because hey, guys are cute too, and I couldn't deny it any longer!

I just worry they think it's a choice instead of being potentially a reality. It doesn't really help I'm undocumented (been here as a baby).:/ so that's another layer of complication. It's not killing me or anything, but I am sad. I don't have as much opportunity in the U.S. despite having work authorization/daca, so my future is somewhat uncertain in the U.S. I get so jealous looking at women, honestly too. So there goes my noise... Kind of rambling haha. Basically, I'm just so limited in what I can do.

Welcome to the thread!

In the end you have to live your life for yourself. I've spent many years wondering why I couldn't just do what I was told and be happy until I finally decided to take steps towards my own path and happiness since without it I cannot help anyone else. A loving family will understand and accept you , heck even help if they can.

Trans care in the US is a bit spotty but I can tell you that immigration status is completely irrelevant, you can totally pursue HRT and transition if that is what you wish just like any US citizen or permanent resident. Depending on where you live you may have more or less options when it comes to health providers though.

Beth Cyra

Banning is weirdly imprecise for some reason. We're limited to specific set times. Let someone know(I'm on Twitter), next time and we'll be happy to manually end it.
Oh. Well thanks for that info I had no idea.

Just gave me a few extra weeks and I learned a lot during my time away thanks to people like BW and other trans gaf members so I can't complain to much.

User1608

Banned
Welcome to the thread!

In the end you have to live your life for yourself. I've spent many years wondering why I couldn't just do what I was told and be happy until I finally decided to take steps towards my own path and happiness since without it I cannot help anyone else. A loving family will understand and accept you , heck even help if they can.

Trans care in the US is a bit spotty but I can tell you that immigration status is completely irrelevant, you can totally pursue HRT and transition if that is what you wish just like any US citizen or permanent resident. Depending on where you live you may have more or less options when it comes to health providers though.
Thank you for the response, it's much appreciated. I know it's irrelevant, but I'm worried because my future is shaky here depending on what happens during an election, that all my progress could be for naught. I'd likely be killed in my home country for example, so I suppose that's one of the fears that holds me back. It also doesn't help that being an undocumented transgender individual in the U.S is even more of a hassle based on the cases/incidents I have read about. I have been thinking of visiting a therapist, but I don't know how to go about it. But regardless, I'll look up my options soon, particularly in terms of healthcare or what I am able to accomplish.

Oh, and hi Dai101! Thanks for the welcome!

kaye

Banned
I have an oestrogen implant in my butt. It's basically a little pellet that's inserted into a small incision and gradually secretes oestrogen. They last about a year or so and keep your levels up until they slowly taper off and you have to get it replaced.

I never hear of trans girls in the US talk about this as an option. Is this unavailable there? Tablets and injections would be pretty inconvenient to me.

User1608

Banned
...I am curious ... Which one is that ?

Are you taking like prejudice, death penalty or rank of trans deaths ?
Guatemala. I'm talking about prejudice, nonacceptance and risk of death. It seems like trans deaths are underreported over there too. Not surprising considering how conservative and religious the country is.

mollipen

I have an oestrogen implant in my butt. It's basically a little pellet that's inserted into a small incision and gradually secretes oestrogen. They last about a year or so and keep your levels up until they slowly taper off and you have to get it replaced.

I never hear of trans girls in the US talk about this as an option. Is this unavailable there? Tablets and injections would be pretty inconvenient to me.

Hmm. That sounds very similar to what I'm doing, but mine don't last nearly that long. Not sure if what I'm doing and what you're doing are the same, though. I think it isn't a popular option over here because it's costlier than the others.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster.

Intersex agender person here. They/their pronouns.

Been on HRT for almost a year now. So far it's been a relatively low dose but I'm liking the results. Hope to get my dose increased next month.

It's been difficult finding acceptance outside outside of my small circle of (mostly trans and/or queer) acquaintences. I've been getting more of a mixture of pronouns from strangers which is nice, but getting misgendered still takes a lot out of me, especially when it's from people who should know better. But for the most part I'm doing alright.

Beth Cyra

Been on HRT for almost a year now. So far it's been a relatively low dose but I'm liking the results. Hope to get my dose increased next month.

It's been difficult finding acceptance outside outside of my small circle of (mostly trans and/or queer) acquaintences. I've been getting more of a mixture of pronouns from strangers which is nice, but getting misgendered still takes a lot out of me, especially when it's from people who should know better. But for the most part I'm doing alright.
Welcome!

Honestly I don't have much experience with agender individuals (most of my friends are trans who really want to be gendered) but I will say that I hope your stay is wonderful and that I will try to keep it nongender when addressing you :)

It's interesting how well your reacting to HRT, makes me feel good that some people really do, do well at those lower doses and I was just a freak lol.

Take care and I hope you can feel comfortable with us. We are a rag tag bunch bit we have amazing people of all walks of life.

Dai101

Banned

WELCOME!!

Have a complimentary drink (or two, or five)

hHEyiiH.jpg

Also sorry, the conffetti cannon isn't been available for a while

kinda hard to not be misgendered when being gendered is being misgendered.

... I am new on this agender thing xD

I.... wat

User1608

Banned

Hi, great to see you! I wish you well and hope everything goes great for you!

Welcome! Might I suggest a "Don't Gender People You Don't Know" sharpie t-shirt?

User1608

Banned
I don't want to be annoying, but if you want to in the future peeps, you can refer to me as Karie. I'll never be able to escape the K as my favorite letter, hah hah. I settled on this name after thinking about it for a while now. Anyway, not the most active ot, but continue being great, gals and I hope life continues to be well for you all. If it's tough, then I wish you kisses and good luck.

Dai101

Banned
I don't want to be annoying, but if you want to in the future peeps, you can refer to me as Karie. I'll never be able to escape the K as my favorite letter, hah hah. I settled on this name after thinking about it for a while now. Anyway, not the most active ot, but continue being great, gals and I hope life continues to be well for you all. If it's tough, then I wish you kisses and good luck.

Karie eh? K'. Sounds great :D

Tramp stamp get!!!

Yay!

1R6KUS9.gif

/creep

There are a couple of IRC channels that some members hang out at, I can give you the information if you want, just PM me :)

It's not super busy but there's almost always someone there to talk and stuff :)

Lady Gaia

Nice to meet you, Karie. Choosing a name for yourself can be such an empowering feeling. I did so twice, once early on when I was first choosing a name to use on trans-related sites, and again when I finally changed my legal name. I wound up with an initial K in both cases, so you're not alone in gravitating that direction.

Opiate

Hi TransGAF! Anything I can do for your ladies and gentlemen while you have my attention? We'd always like to make GAF a more inclusive place, and I know that can often be difficult to achieve.

kinda hard to not be misgendered when being gendered is being misgendered.

... I am new on this agender thing xD

Well it works differently for everyone but for me it works like this:

In my day-to-day interactions with strangers, I tend to get a mixture of pronouns. I consider this acceptable. Every so often I'll get a wild "they" from a stranger and in my mind I'm like "yay you're my favorite person now". If I'm having an off day I might get a constant barrage of "he" pronouns and it tends to make me feel really gross.

When dealing with people who should know better, which is anyone who knows me on a first-name basis, it's strictly they/them, or failing that just avoid pronouns and use my name. The people closest to me occasionally refer to me in the feminine, and every once in a while this feels nice, but if they go overboard with it I let them know and they're very respectful of this.

The only clothes I really feel comfortable in are jeans and t-shirts. I have long hair. My figure's got some curves (which I attribute to having intersex powers) and I've got small boobs and kind of a butt. I might hide or accentuate these features with my clothing choices depending on how I feel that day.

I do experience dysphoria, but the steps I've taken so far in my transition (changing my name, hormones, laser hair treatments) are helping to gradually alleviate this.

Lady Gaia

Hi TransGAF! Anything I can do for your ladies and gentlemen while you have my attention? We'd always like to make GAF a more inclusive place, and I know that can often be difficult to achieve.

I've found GAF to be remarkably welcoming and inclusive since I joined. Moderators do such a great job of reacting to trouble in threads about gender, race, and LGBT related topics that I felt comfortable outing myself in this thread, which I normally wouldn't do outside of a space dedicated to LGBT issues.

Keep it up, and give yourselves a collective pat on the back for a job well done. The pride logo celebration following the Obergefell decision was particularly appreciated.

Anastasia

Honestly just be more strict about all the transphobic stuff that gets posted on the forum. I've seen so many transphobic posts that either slip by and/or nothing will happen to the poster. A lot of it happens to be in threads specifically about trans issues, where people will talk about how trans men or women aren't actually the gender they identify as. And some use a bullshit reason to try to justify it. You would never find those same people try to do that when it comes to talking about sexual orientation, but they can get away with it on this forum when it comes to trans issues.

An example is using biology to say in a roundabout manner that we aren't who we say we are. Try doing that for people who are gay or lesbian on this forum, and watch what happens to that poster. They will get destroyed and most likely banned. I've avoided speaking out about it on numerous occasions because I figured I would just get dog-piled on by other posters, and at this point I'd like less drama to deal with.

This forum is a very accepting place overall but it has a long ways to go before it becomes more accepting for the trans community. The tolerance level for carefully worded bigotry or just outright hate on this forum should be zero.

User1608

Banned
Nice to meet you, Karie. Choosing a name for yourself can be such an empowering feeling. I did so twice, once early on when I was first choosing a name to use on trans-related sites, and again when I finally changed my legal name. I wound up with an initial K in both cases, so you're not alone in gravitating that direction.
Thank you Gaia! Ah, that's pretty cool. With me, should I succeed and figure myself out, I'm definitely going to do the same with my legal name, hopefully. My first name isn't common at all, not even occasionally coming up, but I will keep the K again as a small reminder of myself, as I am now. *edit*

And Opiate, I do agree with what Anastasia has said. I have thick skin, but there is no excuse to be disrespectful and malicious, especially for the sake of the other posters (the rest of transgaf).

Sibylus

Banned
Can... can I change my username again? I'm sorry for being so indecisive :X

Tired of being a Bo, read too much both ways/

Opiate

Honestly just be more strict about all the transphobic stuff that gets posted on the forum. I've seen so many transphobic posts that either slip by and/or nothing will happen to the poster. A lot of it happens to be in threads specifically about trans issues, where people will talk about how trans men or women aren't actually the gender they identify as. And some use a bullshit reason to try to justify it. You would never find those same people try to do that when it comes to talking about sexual orientation, but they can get away with it on this forum when it comes to trans issues.

An example is using biology to say in a roundabout manner that we aren't who we say we are. Try doing that for people who are gay or lesbian on this forum, and watch what happens to that poster. They will get destroyed and most likely banned. I've avoided speaking out about it on numerous occasions because I figured I would just get dog-piled on by other posters, and at this point I'd like less drama to deal with.

This forum is a very accepting place overall but it has a long ways to go before it becomes more accepting for the trans community. The tolerance level for carefully worded bigotry or just outright hate on this forum should be zero.

So, a possible problem is that many people who are transphobic are simply ignorant (I mean that in the non-insulting way, as in they have never met a trans person and/or don't understand the issue in any meaningful way) and as such are capable of being educated. Those are people we actively want to avoid banning, because doing so teaches them the wrong lesson.

So, when someone says something profoundly ignorant, we face a bit of a conundrum in many cases. Sometimes the choice is easy for us, because (For instance) the poster has made similar comments in the past and thus it's clear he's not learning or just ignorant but willfully disregardful or hurtful. Those are easy bans. Some are more complicated but still necessary. In other cases, we'd much rather talk it through with people so they understand where others are coming from.

I'm not saying we're perfect as a moderator crew, but in many cases that may be what's going on. We have to decide what's likely to actually change someone's behavior. Talking it through with someone is sometimes right, banning them for a few weeks as a "hey, don't do that" punishment is sometimes right, and still other times a permanent ban is warranted because the person clearly is not learning and will not learn.

Giruvegan

Hey, everyone.
I identify as an androgyne / non-binary. I'm only out to friends and some of my health care providers.
' they / them ' pronouns are ideal. Figured I'd say what's up now, before I fall back into my favorite habit of constant lurking.

I'm glad this thread is here. Thanks for making it!

Anastasia

So, a possible problem is that many people who are transphobic are simply ignorant (I mean that in the non-insulting way, as in they have never met a trans person and/or don't understand the issue in any meaningful way) and as such are capable of being educated. Those are people we actively want to avoid banning, because doing so teaches them the wrong lesson.

So, when someone says something profoundly ignorant, we face a bit of a conundrum in many cases. Sometimes the choice is easy for us, because (For instance) the poster has made similar comments in the past and thus it's clear he's not learning or just ignorant but willfully disregardful or hurtful. Those are easy bans. Some are more complicated but still necessary. In other cases, we'd much rather talk it through with people so they understand where others are coming from.

I'm not saying we're perfect as a moderator crew, but in many cases that may be what's going on. We have to decide what's likely to actually change someone's behavior. Talking it through with someone is sometimes right, banning them for a few weeks as a "hey, don't do that" punishment is sometimes right, and still other times a permanent ban is warranted because the person clearly is not learning and will not learn.

I agree that it needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I'm not suggesting that everyone be banned outright. What I do think is that there are many people who *should* be punished for making posts like that and aren't, and the fact so many slip by is a problem on this forum. I'll put it this way. Imagine having someone else tell you, in one way or another, that you are delusional or that something is wrong with you because of the way you were born. It's hard to articulate to anyone who doesn't live with gender dysphoria, but that shit can hurt a lot. It's real easy to mask hatred when talking about trans issues, and there are situations where someone should be banned for what they post and aren't.

I understand wanting to be careful as mods, but as someone who is trans and has dealt with this shit so many times, I can see the language they're using and it's really transparent. It shouldn't be acceptable. I do think there is a lot of ignorance about trans issues, and in some cases it would be better to educate someone rather than punish them. I remember that there was a poster on GAF (I'm not going to say his name) who got into a heated debate with people in a thread about something trans related, and I talked to him honestly about where I was coming from and what I deal with as someone who is trans. He completely changed his position afterward. So I think the actions that need to be taken are going to vary. But at the same time be mindful of the fact that there is a lot of hatred that is *not* dealt with. That's not an issue of education, or maybe being able to talk to people. That's an issue of people looking to cause trouble or hurt others.

Sibylus

Banned
I think the most attention should be paid to the trans-related threads that tend to be magnets for controversy from the less well-informed or well-intentioned. Threads about young transgender children, or transgender people using bathrooms, or transgender people dating cis people... threads like these are more or less "you know it when you see it" when it comes to attracting really detrimental discourse on the forum and require greater scrutiny.

kaye

Banned

A sticky thread that dispels common myths, ignorance and misinformation on transgenders and any other minority group at risk of ignorant prejudice. This way people can't cry ignorance or opinion and get away with it.

Opiate

I agree that it needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I'm not suggesting that everyone be banned outright. What I do think is that there are many people who *should* be punished for making posts like that and aren't, and the fact so many slip by is a problem on this forum. I'll put it this way. Imagine having someone else tell you, in one way or another, that you are delusional or that something is wrong with you because of the way you were born. It's hard to articulate to anyone who doesn't live with gender dysphoria, but that shit can hurt a lot. It's real easy to mask hatred when talking about trans issues, and there are situations where someone should be banned for what they post and aren't.

I understand wanting to be careful as mods, but as someone who is trans and has dealt with this shit so many times, I can see the language they're using and it's really transparent. It shouldn't be acceptable. I do think there is a lot of ignorance about trans issues, and in some cases it would be better to educate someone rather than punish them. I remember that there was a poster on GAF (I'm not going to say his name) who got into a heated debate with people in a thread about something trans related, and I talked to him honestly about where I was coming from and what I deal with as someone who is trans. He completely changed his position afterward. So I think the actions that need to be taken are going to vary. But at the same time be mindful of the fact that there is a lot of hatred that is *not* dealt with. That's not an issue of education, or maybe being able to talk to people. That's an issue of people looking to cause trouble or hurt others.

Okay, we will see if we can moderate these issues more stringently and give people shorter leashes. Thank you for the suggestion, Anastasia.

A sticky thread that dispels common myths, ignorance and misinformation on transgenders and any other minority group at risk of ignorant prejudice. This way people can't cry ignorance or opinion and get away with it.

Really the issue with this is that we'd need a sticky for lots of topics that people are ignorant and hateful on, and pretty quickly our front page would be 1/2 stickies. Further, it has been our experience that stickies are mostly ignored after the first day or so.

Top Bottom