• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Beth Cyra

So I was just told by my mom that I am sick, and that I need to be fixed right away.
That is very sad, and you deserve to be loved and told your strong for being true to your self.

She may come around and as the others have said if you want please reach out to any of us, we want to be here for you as much as you feel you could or need us.

Hollycat

Sorry to double post, but I'm having a panic attack. I can't bring myself to eat anything but sunflower seeds because I can't look at myself in the mirror. I also kept freaking out when I look at my hair, if that makes any sense. It's a good length so it doesn't make sense.
I want to go work out but I'm too afraid of anyone seeing me in the gym.

I haven't spoken face to face with anyone in almost a week and a half.

I have a party this weekend I've been looking forward to for months and now I'm terrified of going because people will see me. And I'm doubting that my playmate really likes me at all even though she keeps telling me how beautiful I am.

I'm seeing the girl I like on Thursday and I'm so scared of talking to her. I feel like I betrayed her somehow even though I tell her everything.

I have a job interview this Friday, and I'm so scared of going, and I don't know what to wear, and whether I should present as female, even though I had my name change and always present so that doesn't make any sense as all

It's all pretty stupid stuff, but I feel a little better just typing this out. Sorry for the list-rant

Sorry to double post, but I'm having a panic attack. I can't bring myself to eat anything but sunflower seeds because I can't look at myself in the mirror. I also kept freaking out when I look at my hair, if that makes any sense. It's a good length so it doesn't make sense.

Mirrorrrs. They're terrifying and uncompromising.

Especially around hair, one time I had someone just recently who didn't know how to cut my type of hair and for the next three weeks every time I'd look at it I would summon up so much hate and angry ranting that would take a good few minutes to dissipate.

At home exercise like the hundred pushups workout can work fine in a pinch. There's other variations on that program, but the idea is that you just do brief periods of intense exercise anywhere, and (not part of the program but why not;) you can just walk on alternating days for cardio if you'd like.

You don't need to lift weights or use fancy exercise contraptions to be healthy or even fit. Just some period of intense physical activity will do, and not pushing yourself too hard.

Oh dear! This is tough. Honestly, if you can think of a good reason to just go out with people and spend some time doing possibly nothing besides hanging out, that would really help.

I have a party this weekend I've been looking forward to for months and now I'm terrified of going because people will see me. And I'm doubting that my playmate really likes me at all even though she keeps telling me how beautiful I am.

I'm seeing the girl I like on Thursday and I'm so scared of talking to her. I feel like I betrayed her somehow even though I tell her everything.

I have a job interview this Friday, and I'm so scared of going, and I don't know what to wear, and whether I should present as female, even though I had my name change and always present so that doesn't make any sense as all

It's all pretty stupid stuff, but I feel a little better just typing this out. Sorry for the list-rant

This is a lot of big stuff happening at once, so don't sorry about feeling overwhelmed by it all. I certainly would be!

It sounds good, honestly, mostly, just try to kick back and hang out with people you trust. And as for the job thing, just present as female, be confident in that!

Actually just be confident, try to be confident, that's the big thing with job interviews. The rest is do your best and take note of things that you can improve on, don't be afraid to ask questions about how to follow up and the position and such.

You can do it. :)

Hollycat

Mirrorrrs. They're terrifying and uncompromising.

Especially around hair, one time I had someone just recently who didn't know how to cut my type of hair and for the next three weeks every time I'd look at it I would summon up so much hate and angry ranting that would take a good few minutes to dissipate.

At home exercise like the hundred pushups workout can work fine in a pinch. There's other variations on that program, but the idea is that you just do brief periods of intense exercise anywhere, and (not part of the program but why not;) you can just walk on alternating days for cardio if you'd like.

You don't need to lift weights or use fancy exercise contraptions to be healthy or even fit. Just some period of intense physical activity will do, and not pushing yourself too hard.

Oh dear! This is tough. Honestly, if you can think of a good reason to just go out with people and spend some time doing possibly nothing besides hanging out, that would really help.

This is a lot of big stuff happening at once, so don't sorry about feeling overwhelmed by it all. I certainly would be!

It sounds good, honestly, mostly, just try to kick back and hang out with people you trust. And as for the job thing, just present as female, be confident in that!

Actually just be confident, try to be confident, that's the big thing with job interviews. The rest is do your best and take note of things that you can improve on, don't be afraid to ask questions about how to follow up and the position and such.

You can do it. :)
Thank you :)

User1608

Banned
*Hugs Chloe* I believe in you! I totally understand, I had a panic attack myself on Sunday as the gravity of my acceptance hit me. In the end, you'll be fine, I know it!

Beth Cyra

I'm no stranger to panic attcacks so I can kinda understand the fear.

That said I need to say two things, first being that you a amazing for coming here and saying something. So many times we with panic attacks will wall off and let no one help us, but you came here so your like a hero to me :)

Second I hope everything goes well, and if you need us feel free to reach to us via pm, we always want to support everyone we can!

The local trans group I go to in San Antonio had an absolutely incredible meeting today. I've been going for over 3 years and this was something really special--I'm loving the direction we're moving in.

Beth Cyra

The local trans group I go to in San Antonio had an absolutely incredible meeting today. I've been going for over 3 years and this was something really special--I'm loving the direction we're moving in.
That is really awesome,

I haven't been to my trans group in months. Now that I work mon-fri I really need to go again

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sometimes I wish panic attacks were replaced with pancake attacks.

rabbit.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the idea.

Hollycat

Double post against sorrry!!!
This morning my gender was legally changed. I am now legally a woman. I'm so excited I just want to throw confetti

Lady Gaia

Should I be taking my hormones and blockers at the same time of day? or does it matter if they are 30 minutes apart?

Those are good questions for your doctor or pharmacist. I've always been advised to have a regular schedule, but I've never heard anything about taking anti-androgens and estrogen at the same time (though it's convenient enough to do so that it's what I've always done.)

Sibylus

Banned
Congratulations to everyone kicking ass :)

Should I be taking my hormones and blockers at the same time of day? or does it matter if they are 30 minutes apart?
Should not matter all that much. I have heard from reputable witches that testosterone production is at a maximum at night, so I split my blocker dose between when I wake up and when I go to sleep, and just pop my estrogen pills when I wake up.

Platy

As long as you have the same periodicy, don't matter when is the blockers and when is the mones. I take blockers as pills at night ... and hormones as injections every 15 days.

So it looks like pills are doing there job. Since I started blockers facial hair and body hair growth has slowed down. My fiancée tells me I have a "glow" on my face and that my skin feels softer.

I don't think it's going that fast that well, but who knows..

sn00zer

Hollycat

Hey, usually come in here to ask questions about the trans community, because its just something I have no idea about.

There was recently a video that came out of a 14 year old m->f girl who was given her first hormone treatment. This seems insanely early to me for such a huge decision, moving to hormone therapy. What are transgafs thoughts on this?

I kind of assumed these sort of decisions are hard to make even for adults and was surprised it was offered to someone so young.

That link isn't working for me, but I wish I had started that young.

So it looks like pills are doing there job. Since I started blockers facial hair and body hair growth has slowed down. My fiancée tells me I have a "glow" on my face and that my skin feels softer.

Congratulations!!

You wouldn't believe how much things change just with the whole peace of mind thing. Knowing that you're finally on that road and becoming closer to the real you will surely put a smile on anyone's face :)

I also had similar experiences with regards to facial hair, it started growing a lot slower and even a bit thinner. Consider yourself blessed! :)

Hey, usually come in here to ask questions about the trans community, because its just something I have no idea about.

There was recently a video that came out of a 14 year old m->f girl who was given her first hormone treatment. This seems insanely early to me for such a huge decision, moving to hormone therapy. What are transgafs thoughts on this?

I kind of assumed these sort of decisions are hard to make even for adults and was surprised it was offered to someone so young.

Banned site on GAF, that link won't work.

It's really not that early and she's followed by medical professionals for a few years now so it's not like it's something that's just sprung up. Also, the age of 14 is actually a great time to start because the body is ready to enter puberty and you can prevent male puberty altogether, which is a terrifying and traumatizing experience to have to go through for any trans woman.

Bottom line is, if a 10 year old boy comes to you and says "hey, i'm a boy" then you'll trust them implicitly but if the same 10 year old boy says "hey, i'm a girl" then all of the sudden the child doesn't know any better, has no way of knowing, how could they possibly understand, etc. It's stupidly hypocritical and highly damaging and another effect of the cis normative perspective that hurts trans folk so much.

Honestly going into HRT was by far the easiest decision I have ever made. It wasn't just obvious but natural. You mean I can take these pills and finally be the woman I've always known to be? Yes please!

Platy

I think 14 years old is even a little too old =P

You start to SEE the effects of puberty around 14 which means that your hormones start to working like at 13 or even 12.

Beth Cyra

That is really awesome Ice :).

Once I had something that worked effects happened pretty quick. So be careful one day you might just notice boobs or butt

That is really awesome Ice :).

Once I had something that worked effects happened pretty quick. So be careful one day you might just notice boobs or butt
According to my fiancée I've always had a great butt. Not going to lie, I think I have a pretty good butt myself. I've noticed the slightest breast growth, but it's like nothing.

Nudull

Banned
I still haven't thought much of doing hormones, and I'm 21 now. Wonder how it would affect me if I tried, this late in. o.o

Nonetheless, awesome to hear Ice (and a fine hello to anyone I haven't met yet!). :)

I still haven't thought much of doing hormones, and I'm 21 now. Wonder how it would affect me if I tried, this late in. o.o

Nonetheless, awesome to hear Ice (and a fine hello to anyone I haven't met yet!). :)

It's never too late to start HRT. People in their 60's transition so yeah, 21 is totally okay. I've started after my 21st birthday and I think I got a lot of blessings and some very significant changes with HRT. I can actually be myself, act like myself and I actually enjoy my reflection in the mirror.

Usually the younger you are "the better" because you've been less exposed to testosterone and the more changes could happen but it's YMMV a lot when it comes to this. If you're on the fence then please see a gender therapist or try to join a local support community so you can ask in real time the hard questions. We do have an IRC channel where some of us usually hang out so that's also an option.

In the end you can only run away or avoid it for *so long* until it gets critical and things end up going to shit. I wish I could have started sooner.

Nudull

Banned
It's never too late to start HRT. People in their 60's transition so yeah, 21 is totally okay. I've started after my 21st birthday and I think I got a lot of blessings and some very significant changes with HRT. I can actually be myself, act like myself and I actually enjoy my reflection in the mirror.

Usually the younger you are "the better" because you've been less exposed to testosterone and the more changes could happen but it's YMMV a lot when it comes to this. If you're on the fence then please see a gender therapist or try to join a local support community so you can ask in real time the hard questions. We do have an IRC channel where some of us usually hang out so that's also an option.

In the end you can only run away or avoid it for *so long* until it gets critical and things end up going to shit. I wish I could have started sooner.

I'm glad that HRT helped you for the better. I had a growing network for support in community college up until my parents found out about me being in the GSA and cut my budget entirely and forcing me out of college. I've been meaning to find better ways to meet people like me.

Do feel free to send a PM my way for the IRC. I missed talking here. :)

Platy

User1608

Banned
Going to start asap on hrt once everything has been settled. Been growing some more body hair in the last few months so I'm kind of freaking out on that.:/ Curse you hairy genes!!! *edit babeh*

Top Bottom