• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
tehAinsley said:
The Cure and NIN! <3

Here's mine. Lots of Symphonic Metal and various other stuff. BTW, I friended you on there. Hope ya don't mind. :D
Sooooooo much <3 for that Coheed in there. Coheed is my all time favorite band in the world. I've never loved a band as much as I've loved that one.

Alfarif

Aigis said:
Guilty pleasure :lol
Haha nothing wrong with that. Mine is N'Sync and Kelly Clarkson. Oh, and The Material, which is such an MTV girl fronted band if ever I've heard one.

Cetra

Charron said:
And, there's the thing to be worried about.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Aigis said:
"Your musical compatibility with tehGr1mace is Very High" :p

Accepted :)

Yays! ^^b

Alfarif said:
Sooooooo much <3 for that Coheed in there. Coheed is my all time favorite band in the world. I've never loved a band as much as I've loved that one.

I know right? Some of the best guitar work around me thinks. Can't wait for their new album to drop. :D

EDIT: And screw it. Below is a pic from back when I wasn't living with family and could actually keep my brows under control, and hair colored. Red hair! <3

NewImage_opt.jpg

Alfarif

tehAinsley said:
I know right? Some of the best guitar work around me thinks. Can't wait for their new album to drop. :D
Yeah. Holy crap, it was because of them that I picked up guitar and learned to sing while playing, otherwise I would have been content just singing.

I still haven't heard "Here We Are Juggernaut". Myspace is blocked at my work so i couldn't listen to it on Friday when it dropped, and just haven't had a chance today. Thanks Apple for failing so hard on not having flash on the iPhone.

Cetra

Alfarif said:
Yeah. Holy crap, it was because of them that I picked up guitar and learned to sing while playing, otherwise I would have been content just singing.

I still haven't heard "Here We Are Juggernaut". Myspace is blocked at my work so i couldn't listen to it on Friday when it dropped, and just haven't had a chance today. Thanks Apple for failing so hard on not having flash on the iPhone.

I would love to learn, but in the battle of nails vs. learning guitar, nails is winning. Though I have trimmed 'em down occasionally to play (make lots of noise) around on my ESP from time to time.

I didn't even know they had a single out, just that a new album was coming soon. I must find it and listen! :D

And holy crap, no flash on iPhone is pretty lame. I wasn't even aware it couldn't do that. Another reason to keep my Android phone I suppose.

EDIT: Just listened to "Here We Are Juggernaut", digging it a whole lot. I know what I'll be doing on April 14th now. :lol :lol

EDIT 2:
Charron said:
I'm eclectic to a fault.

Just works out that I like both alternative/indie rock and free stuff. I completely raided AmieSt a few weeks ago, got maybe a hundred albums.

Low compatability be damned, if ya don't mid I'll add you too. Maybe we'll find some stuff we like on each others stations. :D

Alfarif

tehAinsley said:

Redhead FTW!

I don't remember, are you on hormones yet? I can't keep everyone straight. Maybe Lexi should update the OP with everyone's progression that they're will to share and/or links to their vlogs, blogs, and such?

I would love to learn, but in the battle of nails vs. learning guitar, nails is winning. Though I have trimmed 'em down occasionally to play (make lots of noise) around on my ESP from time to time.

Finger picking FTW! That's what nails are good for!

I didn't even know they had a single out, just that a new album was coming soon. I must find it and listen! :D

Not only that, but the deluxe edition, which we ordered, comes with a DVD AND A BOOK. Like full length 300+ page book of the Year of the Black Rainbow storyline. I'm freakin' STOKED to read it.

And holy crap, no flash on iPhone is pretty lame. I wasn't even aware it couldn't do that. Another reason to keep my Android phone I suppose.

Yeah. It's probably because Flash would interfere with Apple's App store. Why buy stuff from the App store, when you can play it for free? Then again, the dexterity that some flash games require, and the fact that small touch screens like this aren't as precise (because our fingers are much bigger and inaccurate than a stylus) doesn't seem like it would harm the App store eco-system all THAT much. I'd rather play Peggle or Plants vs. Zombies or what have you with full screen real estate than have ads all over my crap when trying to play something on Kongregate.

EDIT: Just listened to "Here We Are Juggernaut", digging it a whole lot. I know what I'll be doing on April 14th now. :lol :lol

I'm now home and have the ability to give it a listen. Time to bust out those Dolby surround sound headphones for this special occasion!

Oh, and listen to "The Broken" or buy it on iTunes or however you get your music. I freakin' LOVE that song. Oh, oh, and go watch the making of preview video they have on their site. The music in that video... I can already tell that will be my THEME music just based on the instruments alone!

Cetra

Alfarif said:
Redhead FTW!

I don't remember, are you on hormones yet? I can't keep everyone straight. Maybe Lexi should update the OP with everyone's progression that they're will to share and/or links to their vlogs, blogs, and such?
That pic was taken before I did my 6 month self-medication spree. At the moment I'm not on them either. But as soon as my insurance credentials make it to the house I'm getting back to seeing my therapist and getting back on track. :D

Alfarif said:
Finger picking FTW! That's what nails are good for!
Nuuuu~ !! I wanna play teh metal. -\m/

Alfarif said:
Not only that, but the deluxe edition, which we ordered, comes with a DVD AND A BOOK. Like full length 300+ page book of the Year of the Black Rainbow storyline. I'm freakin' STOKED to read it.
That sounds AMAZING. I may have to go ahead and spring for that if it still available. I love seeing behind the scenes on just about any creative process. Especially music. The book sounds extremely cool too. Damn you, duder. Making me spend money! :lol :lol

Alfarif said:
Yeah. It's probably because Flash would interfere with Apple's App store. Why buy stuff from the App store, when you can play it for free? Then again, the dexterity that some flash games require, and the fact that small touch screens like this aren't as precise (because our fingers are much bigger and inaccurate than a stylus) doesn't seem like it would harm the App store eco-system all THAT much. I'd rather play Peggle or Plants vs. Zombies or what have you with full screen real estate than have ads all over my crap when trying to play something on Kongregate.
I guess that makes some sense, though why they wouldn't program their platform with Flash in mind still baffles me. I don't do much gaming on my phone, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. If I could plug some sort of controller into it though we'd be cooking!

Alfarif said:
I'm now home and have the ability to give it a listen. Time to bust out those Dolby surround sound headphones for this special occasion!

Oh, and listen to "The Broken" or buy it on iTunes or however you get your music. I freakin' LOVE that song. Oh, oh, and go watch the making of preview video they have on their site. The music in that video... I can already tell that will be my THEME music just based on the instruments alone!

Enjoy~ I'll definately check out "The Broken" here in a bit. Work is getting busy. Stupid work, always being distracting! :lol

lexi

Banned
Alfarif said:
Redhead FTW!

This is an opportunity for more cute representative icons! &#9834; Oh Jessss &#9835;

Pink Floyd and Muse! <3 Adding!

If I ever love a person as much as I love Pink Floyd.... :p Soooo good.

Alfarif

tehAinsley said:
Pink Floyd and Muse! <3 Adding! :lol :lol

Alfarif make a last.fm station, NAO! :lol :lol

Is there a way to have it tag into my iTunes and/or Pandora?

Wrath2X said:
All we need now is alfarifs pic and we're good to go!

Is this the point where I edit a picture of myself and put flowing locks on my head? :lol :lol

Cetra

Alfarif said:
Is there a way to have it tag into my iTunes and/or Pandora?

Aye there is good, ser... or is it ma'am now? :lol :lol
Just grab the Last.fm Scrobbler and it'll pull the play counts from your iTunes as well as your iPod when you sync it.

Alfarif said:
Is this the point where I edit a picture of myself and put flowing locks on my head? :lol :lol

God yes! :lol :lol

Alfarif said:
Redhead FTW!

OK, I just noticed I'm on the list in the OP. Lexi, could you remove my name please, I didn;t ask to be added. I'm happy to be out as transgender within a conversational context but I find something about being on such an easily accessible list insidious.

lexi said:
I'm so sorry, I've edited the post.

Thanks Lexi. =) And in response to your PM ('cause I want everyone to know) I'm not mad or annoyed or anything, so please don't be upset. *hugs* There's just something about being listed by my minority status I don't like, there's something dehumanizing about it to me.

lexi

Banned
Well in hindsight you're absolutely right, I've ditched the whole thing. I had intended for it to be a way to encourage positivity and openness, even if it was within the rather secular community of GAF.

Alfarif

lexi said:
Well in hindsight you're absolutely right, I've ditched the whole thing. I had intended for it to be a way to encourage positivity and openness, even if it was within the rather secular community of GAF.

As long as I can get a nice, big version of that last icon Jess made for me. :lol :lol That might become my new avatar.

OK, I'm caught up on the thread now. Everyone's posting pics!

Lexi, you have *beautiful* hair!

Android18a, put jeans on with that top instead of the skirt/stocking combo and I wouldn't even look at you if you walked past me on the street. You're going to do really well!

Charron, you have such feminine arms! I like your hair brunette the best, with some highlights and lowlights to soften it, it would really complement your skin. DON'T worry about height. I'm 5"10' (maybe 10 and a half) and there are SO many girls around who are taller than me. I never feel like my height is an issue. Being tall doesn't stop you from looking female. Go watch Julie and Julia. Julia was a GIANT woman. It's something genetic women have to deal with too. Also, many transwomen shrink half an inch in height after being on hormones for a while due to spinal compression, so it gets better!

tehAinsley you've got *fantastic* facial features for transition.

With the music stuff, I'm so not a song-collector. I just listen to whatever happens to be playing wherever I am. Would you believe I studied music at a tertiary level and have years of conservatory training, yet my ipod is filled with Lady Gaga, Pink and Ministry of Sound complilations (and ABBA! - I'm weird).

Alfarif

With the music stuff, I'm so not a song-collector. I just listen to whatever happens to be playing wherever I am. Would you believe I studied music at a tertiary level and have years of conservatory training, yet my ipod is filled with Lady Gaga, Pink and Ministry of Sound complilations (and ABBA! - I'm weird).

Nothing wrong with that! I'm not going to say what's on my iPhone. It's way too embarrassing. The only things worth mentioning is Coheed and Cambria, Common, and Jay-Z.

tehAinsley said:
Get to it! *cracks whip* :lol

I just made it but someone took my name (or maybe I signed up ages ago and don't remember it?!). I'm trying to work on it with the Scrobbler but the wife insists on streaming music videos from one of our HDDs through the Mac Mini to the PS3, so things are going a bit slower than I'd like. Hah.

Cetra

Jamie xxoo said:
tehAinsley you've got *fantastic* facial features for transition.

I hope you're right. The fact that everyone always tells me I look *just* like my Mom supports this idea. And times like today I'm feeling optimistic enough to see it. Most times, as most of us have done, I'm like "no way theres a decent lookin woman in there. /emo" Thanks for the compliment, you've no idea (Well I'm sure you do but you know! =P) how much it means to hear some one I've never met say such a thing. <3

On the music thing, I'm not so much of a song collector as I am a collector of discographies. Once I find new song I like I go looking for all their works. Something about hearing how bands progress and change through their releases fascinates me. It's funny because I usually have my iTunes set to shuffle and stuff plays that I've never even heard before. :lol

Also, I dug the NeoGAF nod in your last vlog. I giggled myself silly at that for awhile. :lol

Fox the Sly said:
Thanks for the add, tehAinsley. :D

And thank you for accepting it. :D

Cetra

Android18a said:
I keep forgetting to get Last.fm running, but here's my musical "taste".

http://www.last.fm/user/android18a

=3

And thanks for all the nice comments, peoples <3

Alanis Morrisette, yes! I was beginning to wonder if people still listened to her. No one around here seems to anymore. Then again, I am in Memphis so that could explain it. (Can't even get a decent band to come here anymore.) :lol

Added!

Cetra

Android18a said:
Alanis is my fave female artist, by far. It's a travesty she's sorta fallen away from the mainstream radio.

I completely agree. Seems she kinda fell off as she separated from the producer she worked with on Jagged Little Pill and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. The latter being my favorite of hers, "The Couch" is one hell of an amazing song. Honestly though, I could listen to her sing the ingredients on a cereal box and would still be enthralled. Her voice is just way too awesome.

EDIT:
Android18a said:
*image*

Win! :lol :lol :lol

Alfarif

Android18a said:
Alanis is my fave female artist, by far. It's a travesty she's sorta fallen away from the mainstream radio.

alfabeat.gif

Why hello there lovely. Thank you kindly! You are a doll!

Alfarif

lexi said:
*experimenting with avatars* I need to settle on something!

Love your new one, Alfarif!

Let's be honest here... we all knew it was going to come to this. :lol :lol

Jet Grind Radio! said:
You change yours as often as I do. :lol

Yeah she does. What is this, twice in the span of like a week now?

Oh, and here is my Last.fm account. I just created it tonight, so it'll take some time to really get my stuff up there.

Cetra

Thats a really, really good point. :lol :lol

In other news, I've just snagged Depeche Mode's Violator and I'm wondering why the hell I haven't ever listened to it before now. :lol

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Jamie xxoo said:
Charron, you have such feminine arms! I like your hair brunette the best, with some highlights and lowlights to soften it, it would really complement your skin. DON'T worry about height. I'm 5"10' (maybe 10 and a half) and there are SO many girls around who are taller than me. I never feel like my height is an issue. Being tall doesn't stop you from looking female. Go watch Julie and Julia. Julia was a GIANT woman. It's something genetic women have to deal with too. Also, many transwomen shrink half an inch in height after being on hormones for a while due to spinal compression, so it gets better!

Yea, I've more or less settled on brunette, though I really like having punky color (but I'll need a stylist before I do it again, I think).

The arms, seriously? They're so hairy. >_< I worry about my height but get by, mostly it's just that getting decent clothes is a pain. There are, like, *no* shoes my size.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Less Morrisette more Amos please.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Android18a said:
Off topic chat until someone has something trans-related to post ;p

This turned into the Rock Band thread in record time.

Or is this the universal fate of NeoGAF threads?

lexi

Banned
:lol

That avatar is kind of cute / disturbing. I have developed a weird hangup over showing myself in an avatar, it's... yeah I don't really feel comfortable with it.

Top Bottom